It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass shooting in Aurora, CO (At Batman Film Premiere)

page: 68
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
people defending gun ownership in light of this is ridiculous.

he shot dozens. if he didn't have a gun he could not have shot dozens. its too easy for americans.

americans need to be disarmed,

edit on Fri Jul 20 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote

I can't say I agree with you.. the only people who would be disarmed by gun laws are those who are law abiding in the first place.. criminals will always be able to get their hands on weapons.. it's the black market.. all you do with gun control is make it difficult for law abiding citizens to defend themselves against those who don't care about the law in the first place..

I think it should be more difficult to get guns.. surely.. but I don't think access to them should be removed.. I also don't think you should be able to go down to your local walmart and buy hunting rifles or shotguns .. kind of absurd ..

WHy not? Wallmart has the same FFL and BATF reporting and background check as any other gun store.

link   
If the emergency door was opened, why did the alarm not go off?

link   
No Rushin

link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnukeem
i have a question how the hell does this guy kick in
a locked metal door>? does not add up at all.

kicking in a weak wood door easy
but i have tried to kick in a metal door..
didnt get anywhere.

someone opened that door for him

Who said he kicked it in? The belief of most on here is that he exited the theater while acting as if he was taking a phone call and propped the door open slightly.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnukeem

Look up a few posts (by ziggymojo) , he was seated in the theatre, propped open the door and then went to get his weapons.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

Look up a few posts (by ziggymojo) , he was seated in the theatre, propped open the door and then went to get his weapons.

Right, but, again... why did the alarm not go off? Those are emergency exits and all have alarms. The shooter would not have risked setting an alarm off like that unless he knew it wasn't going to sound off.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DriCo04
For the record, you can easily buy high quality Surefire 60 or 100rd AR15 mags online and in gun stores. They are only illegal in a few of the commie states such as CA, NY, MA, etc. Yes I own and support high capacity mags. Thanks.

Peace

My supposition is that he used a bumpfire stock with high cap 100rd mags and switched out to a single secondary weapon probably shotgun after AR ammo was out.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Open carry in this instance would have made the theater a "hard" target.

Lets agree that some handgun would not have stopped him.

Knowing an area is a "hard" target could have encouraged him to choose another "soft" target.

Of course if he was suicidal that point is nullified but I believe that was the posters intent in specifying open carry rather than concealed carry.

Open carry has on more than one occasion sent burglars and robbers off to find other targets. Most recently a diner in the south somewhere. Robbers saw armed customers and left only to be arrested in their car discussing where to go.

link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by Manhater
Well I don't think he was alone in this incident. He definitely had help making those bombs. And where are his roommates now?

Public records indicate that Holmes lived with two roommates at 1690 Paris St., Apt. 10. The roommates are also recorded as being from California.

www.christianpost.com...

edit on 20-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

Are they dead, missing, or in custody?

If the apartment was THAT booby-trapped, then it didn't happen quickly. The roommates had to either be accomplices or early victims.

They could also be out of town .. vacation .. but it is odd, he had an assault rifle, shotgun, handguns, ammunition, riot gear.. not easy to hide that stuff.. does make you think they would have known something

That IS suspicious if true... unless he convinced them he was just an avid collector of stuff like that.

link   

Originally posted by ManiShuck

Originally posted by sirnukeem
i have a question how the hell does this guy kick in
a locked metal door>? does not add up at all.

kicking in a weak wood door easy
but i have tried to kick in a metal door..
didnt get anywhere.

someone opened that door for him

Who said he kicked it in? The belief of most on here is that he exited the theater while acting as if he was taking a phone call and propped the door open slightly.

A gunman clad in black SWAT gear came through an emergency door at a movie theater in Colorado early Friday, hurled two canisters of an unknown gas and opened fire on the stunned audience, killing at least 12 people and wounding 59 others who were watching the midnight premiere of a new Batman film.

www.washingtonpost.com...

right so he kicks in a locked exit door>?

link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

Something I find odd is I have heard multiple witnesses claim that while they were on the floor hiding, they could feel hot bullets cases burn their skin. Seems impossible to be that common, and to be that close to shooter and not be killed.
edit on 20-7-2012 by Philly2012 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

When strictly playing with my AR- on a range and not trying for any accuracy, I could empty a magazine in seconds. No modifications necessary. It's just pulling the trigger as fast as the finger can move. In a theater full of people? it's a horrible scene to consider. It's even graduated for height, so aiming truly is a moot consideration for spraying wild rounds and still hitting someone with almost every one of them.

I agree. I had 30-rd magazines taped together, and I could "bump-fire" my AK from the hip and keep all the bullets within a pretty small spray area and empty a magazine in seconds. 60-rounds in about 20 seconds including flpping the magazines.

If this guy had a crowded theatre, with panicked people clumping at exits, and he had all those different guns, it is pretty amazing that only 71 were shot in the 2 minutes. I wonder how many the theatre even holds? Maybe he shot pretty much everyone that wasn't sitting right next to an exit?

I'm still baffled that he didn't just shoot the responding cops though? He had more bullet-proofing than they did, and he had more guns readily accessible than they did, and he was already guilty of murder, what's a few more bodies? Why didn't he just shoot the responding cops and leave the scene? Why did he mention the booby trapping? Did he intentionally get captured, and intentionally draw all this attention to his apartment? Is it misdirection? Insanity? Regret?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

Neighbours, who described the 24-year-old medical school dropout as a “loner” were evacuated in the early hours of yesterday morning after officers spotted what they described as “buckets of extra ammunition” and “some kind of chemical” inside the third-floor living area.
A stereo had been left playing a song on repeat, at high volume, while a poster of the actor Will Ferrell, in the film Anchorman, was visible on the kitchen wall, according to reporters who arrived outside the modest brick building before police had established a security perimeter.

Holmes, who was muscular, 6 feet 3 tall, and had dark hair, moved into the property roughly 4 miles from the cinema, in May 2011.

At the time, he was about to begin studying for a PHD student in Neuroscience at the University of Colorado-Denver, describing himself on the landlord’s application as a: “quiet and easy-going medical student.”

One of the courses Holmes enrolled on covered the “Biological Basis of Psychiatric and Neurological Disorders.” The University website lists him as having made a presentation to fellow students in that course a few months ago, on the subject of: “MicroRNA Biomarkers.”

He suddenly dropped out of university a month ago, a spokesman said, without giving any specific reason. Neighbours had not noticed anything suspicious in his behaviour since, describing him as a reclusive type who ignored them even when they said hello. “No-one knew him. No-one,” the occupant of a flat in the building told reporters.

Police said that Holmes had no criminal record, beyond a driving infringement. He appears to have acted alone, and has no ties to terrorist organisations. Early reports that he drove to the scene of the massacre in a car that had Tennessee license plates turned out to be false.

Originally from California, Holmes went to high school in San Diego, where his parents still live in the Rancho Penasquitos community.

They issued a statement via local police yesterday saying their “hearts go out to those who were involved in this tragedy and the family and friends of those involved.” They also asked for privacy, saying they were “still trying to process” their son’s sudden notoriety.

Wonder which song was playing?
edit on 20-7-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by DriCo04

I dunno, I suppose I should say ' reported as...'.

Are all those doors alarmed or are we just supposed to think they are for our safety? The shooter must have checked out the situation at that particular thetre.

link   
It sure as hell takes a lot of strength to shoot people like that even if it is not a combat situation. It is easier for experienced brigands, but this guy has not such experience. He had to be drugged or very highly anxious. Or extremely dumb, which he isn't. There are many inhibitions one has to deal with before killing people.

link   
Those who say there would have been no way to take him out with a gun in the theater must realize something. Even if you're wearing a body armour, it's not like in Blade where the bullets just bounce off of you and you look with slight irritation at the person shooting you. If you're hit with a bullet, the body armour may indeed stop the bullet from going into your body, but the impact will still knock you off your feet, and make you lose your breath. If somebody had gotten within reasonable distance of the man, aimed, and fired five or six rounds in the man's chest, he would've been knocked to the ground with broken ribs, and been unable to continue the fight. Then, somebody could've moved up closer and finished him off with a bullet through the gas mask.

What I'm saying is, it would be possible.

But, between the tear gas, confusion, screams, and lack of lighting in there, it would also have been difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. Mostly it depends on the strength of the tear gas, because the lighting would not have been as much of an issue, since you would've been able to track the man via the muzzle flashes of his weapon, even if it was pitch black in there.

Just my 2 cents on that subject.
edit on 20-7-2012 by Gauss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by paratus

For the record, you can easily buy high quality Surefire 60 or 100rd AR15 mags online and in gun stores. They are only illegal in a few of the commie states such as CA, NY, MA, etc. Yes I own and support high capacity mags. Thanks.

Peace

My supposition is that he used a bumpfire stock with high cap 100rd mags and switched out to a single secondary weapon probably shotgun after AR ammo was out.

Why a bump fire stock? They are useless. They completely ruin your accuracy and waste ammo. Anyone who is proficient with an AR15/M4 will tell you that semi-auto is better than full. Full-auto is mainly used for suppressive fire, especially in the military. The AR15, M4, M16, whatever you want to call it, was designed around highly accurate, semi-auto shots. Full-auto is for the movies.
edit on 20-7-2012 by DriCo04 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by ManiShuck

one of the witnesses used those words... I saw her interviewed on tv right after it happened.

link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

Right, but, again... why did the alarm not go off? Those are emergency exits and all have alarms. The shooter would not have risked setting an alarm off like that unless he knew it wasn't going to sound off.

I've never heard of an alarmed emergency exit at a theatre. In fact, I would bet none of them are because that could cause panic. I know that I've exited through the back/emergency exit to avoid the crowd at at least 3 different theatres in my lifetime and none of them were set to send off an alarm. They just lock to the outside but can be used to exit.

new topics

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join