It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass shooting in Aurora, CO (At Batman Film Premiere)

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

He is a good looking clean cut young man; intellectually intelligent; a loner; not in trouble with the law prior to this incident except for a traffic ticket.

A news person on the TV said that he had died his hair red...and acted like he was one of the characters in the movie..I think he mentioned the joker or the riddiler.

I am just wondering...if he has been living with an undiagnosed and certainly untreated mental illness all these years.

I am not defending the shooter...I am just trying to understand why he did what he did...build a profile on him. I am no expert by any means.

edit on 20-7-2012 by caladonea because: add more

link   

Warner Bros., the studio releasing “The Dark Knight Rises,” is considering whether to cancel screenings across the country after a massacre took place at a midnight screening in Colorado that left 12 moviegoers dead in the early hours of Friday.

Executives at the Hollywood studio were gathered at the Burbank offices from the middle of the night, struggling with whether to alter roll-out plans for the second-biggest release in movie history.

thewrap.com

Not sure how I feel about that.

link   
Whilst my word means nothing, I can confirm that the Police Chief did actually say 71 were shot, whether or not he miss-spoke I don't know, but I was typing it to a friend as he was saying what he was saying, perhaps the guy intended to say that 71 were injured or taken to hospital etc, but he did actually say 71 were shot, and I'm sure his press conference will be available online somewhere.

I am mostly intrigued about there being a second shooter, earliest reports did say as such, including an interview with guys who were in the screen saying that gas canisters were thrown from behind as well as from infront of them (although entirely possible that a thrown canister ricocheted and merely only appeared to come from behind them in the confusion), but then also that it was reported that somebody had to open the fire exit for the shooter from the inside and when the police chief was asked this he said "that's a job for the prosecution, I'm focusing on the suspect we have" or something along those lines - like what they're going to let it go to court first before investigating the possibility of help? And the media are being oddly quiet with regards to there being an accomplice, usually any obscure, trite information is regurgitated mindlessly until something better comes along, but despite people having mentioned other people being involved, I've not really seen it being repeated.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It is typical to proclaim assassins "crazy" or "mad". The attempted assassin on Reagan was insane, the one that killed John Lennon was also mad... Only authorized killers are not called "mad".

And Breivik, of course, he is still "sane". Which is very interesting imo. There is some serious agenda about these two cases, at least.

link   
reply to post by r2d246

DO NOT DEFEND THIS GUY OR GIVE HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. HE DOES NOT DESERVE IT.

link   
Anyone hear any update on the suspects apartment?

Last I heard was the update about there being soda bottles filled with liquids hanging around the door and that they were going to send the robot in. That was like 30 minutes ago though.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnitudeZero

He must have misspoke, because in the beginning he said 12 shot dead and 59 injured. 12+59 =71 so he probably meant 71 were wounded/effected. I know for a fact 71 people were not "shot". That is the last I will mention this.

It's amazing how the internet and one misspoken word can spread false info so quickly. I see it all too often.
edit on 20-7-2012 by senselessness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

GUNS are made to kill other human beings. A gun's sole purpose is to kill.

Cars are made to transport people. Unfortunatley they can sometimes be misused.

Wrong again, but spoken like a true peasant

A guns sole purpose is to fire a projectile. Where said projectile goes it determined entirely by its human operator.

I own many guns. If a guns purpose is to kill, are mine defective since none of my guns has never been used to kill anything?

How does it feel to have such a paralyzing fear of an inanimate object?

Perhaps you are the one who needs a mental health evaluation.
edit on 20-7-2012 by FreeFromTheHerd because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
I don't think it is possible.

AK 47 standard magazine has 30 rounds. And how many has a shotgun? maximum 12. Aiming in movies theater dark is not really possible. How many magazines did he change? How long did it last? There is no information on that. Breivik had time to change weapons and ammo because people on the island were scattered and he had a cartwheel with reserve ammo. This guy doesn't seem as real as Breivik. I bet he was not alone. Having time to place booby traps and make himself up to look like Joker, so systematic and yet cinematographic? This is two different psychological profiles packed into one - Bane and Joker. Doesn't seem right to me. We definitely don't know everything yet.

I have a 40 rd ak mag that holds 43. Tape 2 together and theres 86 rds.
Load that into 2 mini dracos and you can carry it all under a short sleeved button down.
Thats 172 rounds any sicko could have sitting right beside you (mini draco is classified as pistol)
THIS IS WHY CC is imperative.

Anyhow, he used an AR15 with 20 rd mags
The shotgun probably had 14+1 in chamber
and a Glock 40 I believe the largest clip is 30rd

link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

It's curious - 71 people shot? That's alot of ammo and rounds.

After some checking, it appears there are some modifications that are legal that can be made to an AR-15 to enable almost full automatic operation. Check this video -

As you can see, it's not unlikely that Holmes had some kind of modification to the weapon.

If it was a stock AR-15, then it usually only comes in single fire mode. Also, isn't getting larger magazines pretty difficult in the states? Witnesses also reported that he did stop to reload, which tells me he had smaller mags.

Is it possible he was able to get off at a minimum 71 shots...yes. Was it likely? I dunno.

link   
I guess this will be overlooked with all the attention being on the shooter and why he did what he did...understandably, I suppose...but, who brings their 3-month old baby to a midnight showing of Batman?

That just makes it double-sad.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
reply to post by r2d246

SWORD
SWORD

Wooden swords are better than real ones.

Why all these false flag attacks?

We had 2 in Canada, one in Toronto and one in Quebec. Like I said Canadians can't even defend themselves with spray against rapists, but the Thugs are armed.

So what little immature stupidity are the dark side doing. They're so lacking in intelligence and so transparent.

WHY?

Why the urgency to disarm?

Is it that the lights are going to go out, and then they have mobs of Sharia say, thugs, and miltia waiting to kill whole families, and behead people?

I've read enough possibilities and considering how low brow they truly are, tend to prepare for the worst case scenarios and hope for the best.

Its time to be fully armed and responsibly trained. Peace. Love. And Serve and Protect our Families.
edit on 20-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Personally I'm glad most everyone is unarmed up here. Makes me feel safer knowing the best most could do is pull a knife. But if I knew lots of people were packing heat that would suck. It would still be the wild wild west. Someone disrespects you or cuts you off in traffic and you whip out your gun and bust a cap in there azz. By all means, a very modern and civil way to handle a conflict.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadRising
reply to post by Milkflavour

It's not Americans in general it's crazy american people. I play video games, I own guns, I am American, I would never even remotely think of going bat# crazy like that. There are too many guns out there now it is useless to try to do anything about it.

Crazy doesn't have a loyal country.

Yeah, I agree, I was kind of being flippant about the crazy part, I was trying to highlight that it's the easy access to guns that's the issue.... You might be right about there already being too many out there... That's why no amount of additional controls will really make a difference I guess. The only
People affected would be the law abiding ones anyway at this stage...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by miniatus

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I haven't seen anything that contradicts that he was wearing a gas mask. If there is some report, please let me know.

A gas mask is not bullet proof. I've seen nothing that indicates his face wouldn't have been a very viable target. Did I miss something?

The police stated he was wearing a riot helmet and carrying a gas mask when apprehended.. the gas mask covers your face .. his head and neck were protected.. in other words, the only place you could hit him to take him out would be his face.. he's a moving target, the room was filled with tear gas ( people have been admitted in the hospital to treat tear gas inhalation, that's been stated as well ) .. it's a very strong irritant .. it messes up your eyes and even makes it hard to breathe.. So to tell me someone, wearing no protection, no mask.. is going to take on a fully armored man with an assault rifle, shot gun and two hand guns.. is entirely mental .. they won't win it and if they do it's purely luck .. who would even be foolish enough to try unless they were cornered..

You always hear about people saying what they would do in this situation yet you rarely ever hear of anyone ACTUALLY doing anything.. it's easy to talk oneself up on a forum .. but when it comes down to it it's a different ballgame.. the fact the room was filled with teargas alone lets me know they are fantasizing about their heroics without any consideration for the facts of the environment/situation

Either that or people are thinking life is a video game.. we've even had soldiers in this thread who admit they couldn't have stopped it, especially with the tear gas consideration..
edit on 7/20/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
I guess this will be overlooked with all the attention being on the shooter and why he did what he did...understandably, I suppose...but, who brings their 3-month old baby to a midnight showing of Batman?

That just makes it double-sad.

Yea, that's one thing that just irritates me. Theaters are loud and then you compound the problem by taking the kid to a violent movie filled with loud bass sounds and blasts? Poor kids ears will be ringing. Undeveloped ears have no place in a movie theater.

link   
police chief conference

www.businessinsider.com...

Seventy-one people were shot when James Holmes reportedly opened fire on a theater full of moviegoers during the midnight premier of The Dark Knight Rises, according to a Colorado police news conference this afternoon.

Twelve died during the shooting. — two at area hospitals and 10 at the scene, Aurora, Colo., Police Chief Dan Oates said during the conference.

The shooting began at 12:39 a.m. Friday, Oates said, adding that police found three weapons in Holmes' car as well as one left at the crime scene.

"There were many, many rounds fired," Oates said. "We know there were a lot of rounds fired very rapidly."

Despite the number of rounds fired, police are "confident that he acted alone," Oates said.

link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by paratus

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by paratus
71 total people being shot
of them:
10 dead on scene
3 dead in hospital/in transit

1 hit in adjacent theater

ballistic full outfit
head to toe including groin and neck

Well that should silence those in here that think they are america's next top shot.. there's nobody with a concealed carry that would have taken him down.. police would have even had trouble taking him down since they are far less protected, and even outgunned since he had an assault rifle.. he gave himself up peacefully fortunately.

Do you understand how much force is exerted on a target at close range?
45 will most likely penetrate at that range.
I don't care how much armor he has, how teary my eyes are.
2 or 3 shots in the head would put him down at 20 yards.
Even if it were only from concussion/knockout.

When police went up against two individuals several years ago in full armor, they were unable to stop them until the two men ran out of ammunition.. the police were complaining at that time that they needed armor piercing ammunition and high powered rifles.. they were under powered.. The story was all over the news, I wish I could remember where it was.. but these two guys literally were walking down the road taking police fire and returning it .. not running, just walking .. I seriously think people are under-estimating the situation, or over-estimating their abilities.. you still have to consider the situation regardless.. a room filled with teargas, a man armed with an assault rifle, two hand guns and a shot gun kitted up in full armor .. you're not going to survive running up against him when you're out in the theater in your jeans and t-shirt..

People are thinking very unrealistically if they are thinking otherwise.

That incident at the bank in CA I think was level 4 or 5 armor.
This guy probably had level 2, from ebay...

Much different than this.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by KireDj

So what are you saying? If we take everyone's guns away does this include the Governments guns? Would you classify a nuclear missile as a gun? Use logic and reasoning and please come to the irrefutable conclusion that guns are inanimate objects and in reality don't do anything besides exist in their natural state.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Reports are coming in that movie theaters all around the country are calling in extra police presence this weekend.

HERE WE GO FOLKS!!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Question.

Just walking through the lobby, I saw the newscasters saying his mother was shocked, and would never have imagined this? They are also having to use police security to protect his mother's home in LA now?

What happened to the earlier statement that his mother expected this, and knew it was him?

I only barely caught the tail end of that report, and I don't even know which channel it was on.

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join