It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass shooting in Aurora, CO (At Batman Film Premiere)

page: 181
<< 178  179  180    182  183  184 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NAMTERCES

James Holmes Received $26K Grant From Bethesda-Based National Institutes of Health

WNEW News reports that Holmes was awarded a prestigious grant from the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md. NIH is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

It gave the graduate student a $26,000 stipend and paid his tuition for the highly competitive neuroscience program at the University of Colorado in Denver. Holmes was one of six neuroscience students at the school to get the grant money.

One of six,

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

The daily mail, here in the UK is a typical sensationalist rag, it is parodied for it's taking a small brush off comment and blowing it out of proportion with things like over dramatic language and saying things like ''she could have prevented the whole thing'', it is also typically demeaning to women.

I read elsewhere that a ''neighbour said'' his mother had ''confided to her'' that she was concerned about his isolation, many people would say the same of their socially disfunctional sons, most of the time it doesn't indicate potential killers or anything that couldn't be recrified. His other friends said he was geeky, shy but essentially normal and he even went for a drink with some guy last week.

The daily mail reports things like this like they were official press statements instead of the hearsay and gossip that they are.
edit on 24-7-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by squidboy

They do it ALL the time!

I have seen it, and emailed about it, probably a dozen times...

Websites are changed to cover up bad reporting and rushed unchecked stuff every day...

If you're willing to say the media is "bad" enough to hide info then you gotta be willing to say they're "bad" enough to erase wrong info, without a correction, to make themselves look less inept...

edit on 24-7-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by squidboy
Point is, News reports do not usually just ERASE conflicting reports from days old articles. They usually report retractions.

Erasing Day old Article data makes them look more like a-holes. Retractions at least cover missteps during said early (wrong) reports. Pretending that they never existed is suspect considering "Public Records" were used in the earlier reports.

Now that the whole thing is going to be sealed, it doesn't matter. Public records, will become unpublic and "they" can edit older news as "they" see fit.

1984 is it....

I agree in some respects, news sources should NOT be editing old articles, but now that so much is able to be edited they will do it.

I don't think it means anything specifically, they could have simply got this wrong, and we know that most of them just parrot each other without actually investigating for themselves to ensure accuracy. They're lazy, they care about numbers and nothing else. They really don't give a damn whether they are telling you the truth or not as long as they get the readers to advertise to and make some more money.

It is indeed 1984. I hope that one day we will have a system in place when news broadcasters who are caught "editing historical record" can be punished. Unfortunately that will be a long and difficult task because the PTB will be holding on to that option with all their might.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

That IS interesting... I was wondering about that information myself - as this whole thing was unraveling all I could think about was "How the heck did he booby-trap his entire apartment without his roommates noticing?" and "Where the heck ARE his roommates?"

Now we find out that they've just vanished from the story without any word on why or how. Also, where is the girlfriend? Have we gotten any interviews or comments from her yet?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yeah the ex-girlfriend is going to be really interesting when/IF she pops up and provides any info. Having a girlfriend though doesn't add credibility to the "loner who only plays on his computer 24/7" story.

Also, has the landlord done any on-camera interviews? He or she would obviously know of any roommates.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I know The Daily Fail is not the best source, I'm in England, i probably should have that in my profile. I suppose I was shocked at them printing two sides of a story

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
From the same article posted a page or so back (saying Holmes was adopted and such) I noticed that there are victims trying to blame the movie theater, his doctors and also Warner Brothers?

I'm sorry, but how ridiculous is this? First of all, Warner Brothers have already donated around $2 million dollars to Aurora to help with the needs of the victims and their families. Trying to sue them for making the movie 'too violent' is just absurd.

Also, suing the movie theater because their exit doors weren't 'secure' enough? Not a whole lot can be done when somebody opens the door from the inside, props it open so it can't close and THEN re-enters. I'll bet a whole lot of the victims that managed to escape through that SAME door a few minutes later are pretty thrilled that the door wasn't 'secure' enough.

The only thing I could understand is suing Holmes' doctors - IF they can be found liable for somehow aiding his quick descent into madness somehow.

It's terrible - but then again I'm not surprised this is happening.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NAMTERCESNo, he might have run out of money. As I understand it, he'd won this scholarship for one year, I'm not sure how he was planning to fund the other years. Maybe he couldn't get funding to continue, so had to quit. Then, he got depressed, that he was too poor to study there, and finally got angry, that life is unfair, and decided to rage against society.

It depends on the grant. Holmes, according to UC-Denver, was admitted with a T32 NRSA grant. In layman's terms, that's a grant aimed at funding outstanding graduate student research. These are commonly awarded for the duration of the program's typical completion time, which is usually five years. Additionally, it would also be somewhat unusual, especially for a program like UC-Denver's, to admit a PhD student with only one year of funding and it would be even more unusual for a top-level student, as Holmes appeared to be, to accept an offer with only one year of funding when he very likely could've had full funding elsewhere. Again, I don't know this for sure, but in my own rather extensive experience with this, I would say that Holmes was very likely completely funded for the duration of his studies.

I would also add two things. First, NIH T32 grants are NOT easy to get. There is a huge process involved, peer review, and numerous steps involved. Not just anybody gets these grants. The fact that Holmes was on a T32, to me, confirms his undergraduate institution's statements that he was the 'top of the top' and completely invalidates the statement made by Salk. Second, I had estimated earlier that UC-Denver admits 10-15 students per year. I was incorrect. The actual number is, according to their own stats, is an 'average of six.' Holmes was one of around six students out of thousands to get into that program. On top of that, he wasn't funded through typical means (department funding), he was funded via an NIH T32. I don't for a second buy the theory that he didn't 'feel special' in that situation.

Furthermore, UC-Denver has stated that his withdrawal was requested in June and that no reason was given. At every institution at which I've been either faculty or a student a fully funded PhD student withdrawing, even if they are struggling, is a big deal. Typically the student's committee and/or research advisers are called together and meetings are held with the student to determine a way forward. As I stated previously, it is not in the best interest of the program to allow students to fail. It is especially problemmatic when they are funded via big grants like a T32, as poor retention rates can jeopardize future student funding.

This whole thing is very, very odd to me. I don't know that there is a grand conspiracy involved here, but Holmes had to have been under significant academic stress long before his enrollment at UC-Denver, so his complete fracturing and his (in the words of UC-Denver) withdrawal for 'unknown reasons' is suspect.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

The daily mail, here in the UK is a typical sensationalist rag, it is parodied for it's taking a small brush off comment and blowing it out of proportion with things like over dramatic language and saying things like ''she could have prevented the whole thing'', it is also typically demeaning to women.

I read elsewhere that a ''neighbour said'' his mother had ''confided to her'' that she was concerned about his isolation, many people would say the same of their socially disfunctional sons, most of the time it doesn't indicate potential killers or anything that couldn't be recrified. His other friends said he was geeky, shy but essentially normal and he even went for a drink with some guy last week.

The daily mail reports things like this like they were official press statements instead of the hearsay and gossip that they are.

I completely agree with this. Until we have definitive medical proof that Holmes had a history of sociopathic behavior, I am wary about alleged unnamed neighbors and their alleged assertions about alleged conversations held at some unknown prior date. None of his current acquaintances, his pastor, or anybody else truly close to him has indicated that James was anything but shy. Maybe that shyness was a symptom of something deeper. I don't know. But an off the record, uncorroborated statement like that is usually garbage.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Regarding the grant money:

AURORA, Colo. – University of Colorado officials disclosed Monday that mass shooting suspect James Holmes was being paid $26,000 a year for his studies — money that could have financed the cache of firearms, ammunition and explosive devices found in his apartment.

Apparently, the grant was from NIH: Source

I thought it might be interesting to see what he was studying, but I identified the wrong grant, so I have just edited this post to remove what I had found, so as to avoid sending others down that rabbit hole! Please see two posts down from this one for a link to the correct NIH grant.

...this part of my post (below) is still a question, in my mind...

I guess, if the article is right about the doctoral students getting $500/week, and if he made his purchases over a four month period, that would mean he had about $2000/month to spend, so $8000 total. Does that figure provide enough to fund all the stuff he had? Also, when he began the withdrawal process, wouldn't they have stopped the $500/week payouts from the grant to a withdrawing student?

Holmes, 24, unexpectedly dropped out of an elite neuroscience graduate program June 10 after failing part of his first-year final exam.

edit on 24-0720127-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-0720127-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: Removed my bad research - I missed the mark.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
reply to post by happyhomemaker29

Sorry to hear of your struggles. I think he probably is mentally ill, there could be some kind of conspiracy or cover up too. Many adopted children are effected by trauma from their birth situation at a very early age and end up with mental health problems, could be the case here.

Thank you. Truthfully that's what I'm thinking is going on here. A lot of agencies lately are either closely, or passing the buck entirely. If mom tried getting him help in the past, it could be, either he didn't qualify. or waiting list, or he didn't want it and because he wasn't a danger to self or others, she couldn't force it on him (Baker Act - Involuntary Commitment). That's what I've been running into and learning lately.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfarThe Program Leader and Program Official are listed on this tab, neither of which are James Holmes, so I assume they just administer the grant which then disburses to the doctoral student. I guess, if the article is right about the doctoral students getting $500/week, and if he made his purchases over a four month period, that would mean he had about $2000/month to spend, so $8000 total. Does that figure provide enough to fund all the stuff he had? Also, when he began the withdrawal process, wouldn't they have stopped the $500/week payouts from the grant to a withdrawing student?

You're looking at the wrong school. You searched the 'University of Denver.' Holmes was enrolled at the University of Colorado-Denver. Completely different institutions.

This is what you were looking for:

Link to NIH Grant Information

Dr. Diego Restrepo is the faculty member in charge of the research project. This also completely fits into the timeline. Holmes began the PhD program in the fall of 2011, with a scheduled finish of spring 2016, which is precisely when the funding terminates.

Program description:

This is a competitive renewal of a Jointly Sponsored Neuroscience Training grant that currently funds six slots for pre-thesis Ph.D. students in the Neuroscience Training Program (NSP) at the University of Colorado Denver (UCD). The NSP is an interdisciplinary Ph.D. granting degree started in 1986 that has been funded by an NIH training grant since 1993. The 44 training faculty participating in this grant come from six basic science and six clinical departments. The faculty members have a combined funding of $29 M in direct annual grant dollars, and they have an outstanding record of previous training. Our graduates have a strong record as academicians and scientists. The average number of manuscripts published by our graduates during their tenure at UCD was 3 manuscripts.

edit on 24-7-2012 by samcrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Red Flags:

A normal seeming college kid shoots over 50 people.....and surrenders with ease, no confrontation, no suicide, nothing. No message, reasoning, or note saying why he did what he did.

edit on 24-7-2012 by Fox666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by samcrow

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfarThe Program Leader and Program Official are listed on this tab, neither of which are James Holmes, so I assume they just administer the grant which then disburses to the doctoral student. I guess, if the article is right about the doctoral students getting $500/week, and if he made his purchases over a four month period, that would mean he had about $2000/month to spend, so $8000 total. Does that figure provide enough to fund all the stuff he had? Also, when he began the withdrawal process, wouldn't they have stopped the $500/week payouts from the grant to a withdrawing student?

You're looking at the wrong school. You searched the 'University of Denver.' Holmes was enrolled at the University of Colorado-Denver. Completely different institutions.

This is what you were looking for:

Link to NIH Grant Information

Dr. Diego Restrepo is the faculty member in charge of the research project. This also completely fits into the timeline. Holmes began the PhD program in the fall of 2011, with a scheduled finish of spring 2016, which is precisely when the funding terminates.

Aha, thank you!! That makes a lot more sense than the fruit flies.
At least I was on the right track with the place to find the NIH grant. I have removed my bad research from my earlier post, now.
edit on 24-0720127-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Vilhelm
From the same article posted a page or so back (saying Holmes was adopted and such) I noticed that there are victims trying to blame the movie theater, his doctors and also Warner Brothers?

I'm sorry, but how ridiculous is this? First of all, Warner Brothers have already donated around $2 million dollars to Aurora to help with the needs of the victims and their families. Trying to sue them for making the movie 'too violent' is just absurd.

Also, suing the movie theater because their exit doors weren't 'secure' enough? Not a whole lot can be done when somebody opens the door from the inside, props it open so it can't close and THEN re-enters. I'll bet a whole lot of the victims that managed to escape through that SAME door a few minutes later are pretty thrilled that the door wasn't 'secure' enough.

The only thing I could understand is suing Holmes' doctors - IF they can be found liable for somehow aiding his quick descent into madness somehow.

It's terrible - but then again I'm not surprised this is happening.

I guess that means we should sue the makers of Hostel, Saw, etc... As for movies it's a matter of preference, no one forced them to go. They CHOSE to go to that movie. Therefore, well, I don't know what to say. I think WB was generous enough in giving $2 mil. They didn't even have to do that. Should we sue all the actors in the movie? How about Heath Ledger's estate since he's portraying the Joker? Oh, wait, he's got red hair not green, so maybe we should sue the comic books, not the movie. I mean, if we're going to get ridiculous, might as well go full force.

If we're going to sue the movie theater, we have to sue ALL of them, then they'd all have to change, then they'd rebuild the doors to accommodate safety, then charge more to cover the accommodation, then nobody would go to the movies because of the prices, then all the theaters would go out of business and everyone would complain that they can't watch movies at the theaters no more.

As for doctors, if he was seeing doctors and they saw some changes occurring and ignored it or passed the buck, like with my daughter, then yes, I'd say liable. If he should have been Baker Act because he was a harm to himself or others and they didn't do this, then yes, liable. But it all hinges on what they knew, if anything.

link   
Proof of conspiracy!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
If the guy was smart and given his field, playing with hand puppets and doing weird stuff might be a plan to make himself look crazy. It may have been part of his planning from the start for all we know.

You know I was thinking that today. He's very smart

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
These pictures show where the gas mask was, far from car, it obviously is in front of a door, I also didn't see any helmet strewn around these items, and it wouldn't be easy to get a gas mask off wearing a helmet, the way these things are strewn from the entrance to the end of the building is very odd, especially as there are reports of him being found in his car wearing all the gear. Report from a witness, the guy that said the height discrepance said the duration of the shoting was 20-30 mins, another report said suspect was caught within 7 mins of first call to emergency services and offered no struggle.

looks like the area next to the exit is also an open area, wonder if this was searched. This could easily have been used to hide people or things. Area highlighted along scroll bar.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by samcrow

All very true.

But why then was he described as not being able to keep up with the basic science involved in his program?

Why did he need a day's prep with a lecturer to get ready for a short presentation?

It's very odd.

top topics

<< 178  179  180    182  183  184 >>

join