It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Plans to Execute a Mentally Retarded Man Tomorrow

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

Well if it was a loved one and they were put into a maximum security prison and into solitary confinement then I probably wouldnt be able to visit them, it'd be the same as if they were dead because we would have no contact, and if they did murder someone i would probably never want to see them again since i think murderers are despicable. What purpose is there to keeping them alive? What benefit, what can they give to society? If they can not give something back to society, if they are murderers who will only murder again and will be kept in jain forever, what's the point of keeping them alive?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

Don't hold back dude and don't sugar coat it .

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786
reply to post by johnnysixguns

edit on 19-7-2012 by CoolerAbdullah786 because: (no reason given)

1) I believe the only way that can be done is by 3rd party. Or, as I think I have been poorly stating, the idea of cause and effect - killing someone under those circumstances and being killed yourself should be no less known than the idea of touching a hot stove and getting burned. But since we have the factor of emotion, which will never go away, we are left at a stalemate.

2) I can agree with you on point 2 whole-heartedly, but I will address more in point 3.

3) I presently believe in that result for a damaged psyche because even if there is rehabilitation, there is never an "exit" from their punishment if they are serving a life sentence with no parole. They may be a better person, but separate from the world now, and will never be able to demonstrate it in a forum that humanity will acknowledge. And I wish I could give a more clear definition of what I would consider a damaged psyche, because we are all the products of nature and nurture, but there are also some men, I believe, who do just want to harm others and watch the world burn.

4) Please do. Not even so you can see people who live on the SHU, but more to see how disheartening it is. Some men are just idiots who don't care for others. Others you see who are actually good people who have made horrible decisions. And still others who have legitimately been institutionalized to the point they can no longer function in normal society.

5) Then I hope you saw in Redeker what I did.. a man who became so disheartened with what his fellow humans could do to each other, that he detached himself from the emotion of it completely, and made lived from a stance of objectivity.

I appreciate this conversation, because while I don't think either of us have changed stance, I can acknowledge that under the premise of entirely abolishing the death penalty, I would also be able to restructure my opinion into something I would still be able to live with. I also think that if we really restructure our system to something without a death penalty for the sake of rehabilitation (which it would have to be for me), we must also throw out life sentencing (which would also be fine with me) so that someone who is reformed has an opportunity to demonstrate it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Ok first I am against the death penalty...why should these killers, murderers, peds..all get off easy..they should suffer until the day they die...by making their last living days hell.

What makes those people asking for anther's death any better than the so-called scum of society. Thoughts and wishes of another s death make you just as sadistic as these morons.

So all you "good" people can suck it...with your idiocy.

That is a paradoxical stance.

You don't support the death penalty so others may suffer.

You condemn those who who favor it for being sadistic.

Good people are idiots.

Well.. alright.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by johnnysixguns

First off I never claimed to be a good person. Second I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of idiots...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I think your reasoning process is hypocritical, and I don't know if you are serious or being sarcastic.. but to each their own.

And no, your post indeed did not cast you in the light of a "good" person.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Atzil321

Because I don't believe it's man's place to decide when someone dies. It's Allah's place. And I personally think it's extremely hypocritical to attempt to teach that killing is wrong by killing people who kill.

Hmmm, this is interesting. Does this same feeling go to the innocent women killed in the name of islam for being raped? I hear that's still happening in the mid east.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Well that is definitely the alternate anti-death penalty argument. The argument that death is too good for some criminals. While I do not agree with the argument on its merits alone, I'll take any reason for someone to oppose the death penalty.

Beggars can't be choosers.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlyer96
This man killed 2 people, clearly he isnt safe to be around, the death sentence would clear the prisons of high risk psycopaths

So would keeping him apart from the general population (i.e. solitary confinement).

I love it, don't kill the guy because that would be cruel, instead put him in solitary confinement for the rest of his life because that is the humane thing to do

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Chance you are way off topic and it's clear you are attempting to provoke me. It's not going to happen. All I will say is that I adamantly oppose women being killed in the Middle East for no other reason than they were raped. These actions have no place in Islam and so-called Muslims that commit them will definitely have to face the punishment and wrath of Allah for their actions.

Just because a Muslim commits an act does not mean that that act is halal (lawful) in the fold of Islam. Many people commit crimes in the name of their faith or ideology that go against the core tenants of said faith/ideology.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

It would be humane in that he would not kill anyone else and he would not have to die to achieve the safety of others.

Sorry if you do not feel the same way but there is no reason to be mocking.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

It would be humane in that he would not kill anyone else and he would not have to die to achieve the safety of others.

Sorry if you do not feel the same way but there is no reason to be mocking.

Where I come from, we call that torture but if you think it's the right thing to do......

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Really, arent all criminals all a little mentally retarded?

C'mon.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

reply to post by HandyDandy

Everyone deserves life equally. I do not agree with the death penalty. We're one of the last civilized nations to even still do this barbaric practice. I don't think anyone should be put to death by the state.

Why do you believe that what you stated above is right?

We are not to wish harm or retaliation or vengeance on anyone. You may have heard of an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth, BUT I TELL YOU THIS......

No civilized country kills people legally.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Well I don't know where you come from, and maybe you are right. Or maybe you're wrong and I'm right. Maybe neither of us are. I don't really know. I just know I have full faith in my position and I'm sure you do in yours also.

With some issues there comes a time to agree to disagree even if we continue to discuss the merits of each person's opposing viewpoints.

I do not consider it torture but I can see how some people would feel that way. Unfortunately with the death penalty issue there really is no easy or clear-cut solution.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Which is also a good point and an argument against killing any criminals. Personally I don't think someone who can take a life is of the right mind, especially at the time of the committing of the crime. I think murder requires something to just not be right, whether you call that a mental disorder or insanity or demonic influence/possession. Whatever you consider it. But I believe that when someone commits a murder, something inside is seriously wrong.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Shadow Herder

Which is also a good point and an argument against killing any criminals. Personally I don't think someone who can take a life is of the right mind, especially at the time of the committing of the crime. I think murder requires something to just not be right, whether you call that a mental disorder or insanity or demonic influence/possession. Whatever you consider it. But I believe that when someone commits a murder, something inside is seriously wrong.

Unless you are in the army and you are instructed to legally hunt and kill humans beyond any deranged serial killer then everything is 'A' ok.
edit on 19-7-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Seeing as how solitary confinement is a form of punishment given to hardened criminals that makes them go crazy... I would consider that torture, it is a punishment at the very least....

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Well, I disagree. I already believe that people who commit murder are already somewhat crazy. I don't think a sane person can commit murder. Also, I agree that it is a punishment. I just don't believe it is torture. And again with confinement, the rest of the prison population is kept safe and the murderer doesn't have to be killed.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlyer96
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

Well if it was a loved one and they were put into a maximum security prison and into solitary confinement then I probably wouldnt be able to visit them, it'd be the same as if they were dead because we would have no contact, and if they did murder someone i would probably never want to see them again since i think murderers are despicable. What purpose is there to keeping them alive? What benefit, what can they give to society? If they can not give something back to society, if they are murderers who will only murder again and will be kept in jain forever, what's the point of keeping them alive?

Sorry. Just saw this reply. I ask you what's the point in killing them? What will that serve? Will it bring the deceased back? No. Will it save tax payers money? No.

Not killing them upholds the sanctity of life and allows us to be better than them. It allows us to say "We will not have their blood on our hands. Killing is wrong and so we would be hypocrites to teach that lesson by killing those who kill."

It's a proven fact that the death penalty does not deter people from killing. It ultimately serves no purpose.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join