It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Plans to Execute a Mentally Retarded Man Tomorrow

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786
reply to post by HandyDandy

Everyone deserves life equally. I do not agree with the death penalty. We're one of the last civilized nations to even still do this barbaric practice. I don't think anyone should be put to death by the state.

I dunno. Would it actually be more humane to lock someone up in a cage for the rest of his life? Apparently, this man should have no contact with anyone. If I were in that position and still had enough brains to say what I wanted, I'd choose death.

Also, I don't see the death penalty as punishment. It's putting to sleep those that just can't make it in society, and is always a danger to society.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Atzil321

Because I don't believe it's man's place to decide when someone dies. It's Allah's place. And I personally think it's extremely hypocritical to attempt to teach that killing is wrong by killing people who kill.

If you truly believe it's your gods place to decide, then this mans execution is his will right? Whether he gets killed by someone else or gets hit by a bus or drowns in a pool, there would be no difference....

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Why do you believe that what you stated above is right?

Look at the percentage of White people on death row for killing a Black person vs. the percentage of Black people on death row for killing a White person.

The ratios for those two groups are grossly unproportionate soo that argument kind of null and void, and borderline race baiting, I know that is not your intention however, it just left a can open for people to dive into.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

Can't someone have an IQ of 70 and just be stupid? The man doesn't look mentally damaged to me.

Don't judge a book by its cover. Doesn't matter how he looks. It matters what his mental capacity is. And clearly his isn't high. Also even if we are executing "normal" people, I don't see how we can execute anyone who has an IQ that is legally defined as mentally retarded. How can they claim that this person fully understood their actions.

I've seen mentally challenged children and adults flip out for unknown reasons and hurt people. That's where the repugnant term "retard strength" comes from. Should they be incarcerated? Especially if they do it multiple times? Even worse should they be put to death? I say no.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Atzil321

Because I don't believe it's man's place to decide when someone dies. It's Allah's place. And I personally think it's extremely hypocritical to attempt to teach that killing is wrong by killing people who kill.

I can appreciate that. However how many more people are going to be killed by this man if he stays alive? Not to mention, once again, we the taxpayers face the burden for supporting such an individual.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Also, if anyone wants to get into the death penalty, how come this guy is being executed but Charles Manson is still alive? How come this guy is being executed but Jeffrey Dahmer was given life in prison (although later murdered by a skinhead.)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

None. He can easily be put in solitary confinement. Also it's not a "burden" to tax payers. It costs more to execute than it does to incarcerate. Also, we don't unfortunately get a choice in where our tax money goes. I'd rather my tax money NOT go to prisons and wars, but rather to health care, education, and social programs. I don't get that choice and neither does anyone else. So if it does go to prisons, I'd rather it go to improving prisons and the prisoners rather than to killing them.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

reply to post by kimish

None. He can easily be put in solitary confinement. Also it's not a "burden" to tax payers. It costs more to execute than it does to incarcerate. Also, we don't unfortunately get a choice in where our tax money goes. I'd rather my tax money NOT go to prisons and wars, but rather to health care, education, and social programs. I don't get that choice and neither does anyone else. So if it does go to prisons, I'd rather it go to improving prisons and the prisoners rather than to killing them.

You're going a little off the deep end now, can you show me some figures that support your statement of how it's cheaper to incarcerate? TBH I think life in prison is even more cruel than the death penalty...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Also, if anyone wants to get into the death penalty, how come this guy is being executed but Charles Manson is still alive? How come this guy is being executed but Jeffrey Dahmer was given life in prison (although later murdered by a skinhead.)

Excellent points and you know the answer, because racism still exists. It existed more in the judicial system then than it does now. But you can't say that it exist in every single circumstance. That's bruhaha.

BTW, I love the shirt in the avatar and I love your attitudes I see in your postings.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I'm going to say different states with different laws.

But, really, what IS humane? We can't let killers out of prison. If they stay in prison and have contact with other prisoners, people will die. If not murder, then the lifers will make prison a living hell for others. This is not humane at all in my book. Should they all have their very own cage?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by kimish

I like the points you make but I'm kind of skeptical on the finance part as far as keeping an inmate alive for life as opposed to the DP.

I'm all ears.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Sure. Here you go. Cost of the death penalty

You are free to think it is more humane to kill a prisoner than to incarcerate them for life but I strongly disagree. That is your opinion that you cannot prove. So to each their own. I just don't see how someone can argue that someone living is more inhumane than killing them

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by crawdad1914

OP I hope this is on topic.

List of condemned inmates exhonerated, sometimes after they were executed. Sucks for them and their families:

en.wikipedia.org...

Good point but none of them were locked in a cell with another person who ended up dead with a board of nails to the skull.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

But, really, what IS humane? We can't let killers out of prison. If they stay in prison and have contact with other prisoners, people will die. If not murder, then the lifers will make prison a living hell for others. This is not humane at all in my book. Should they all have their very own cage?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Originally posted by crawdad1914

OP I hope this is on topic.

List of condemned inmates exhonerated, sometimes after they were executed. Sucks for them and their families:

en.wikipedia.org...

Good point but none of them were locked in a cell with another person who ended up dead with a board of nails to the skull.

Take the time, to read up on some of those cases listed in the link. Seemingly, Iron clad cases proving "guilt"

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by HandyDandy

Everyone deserves life equally. I do not agree with the death penalty. We're one of the last civilized nations to even still do this barbaric practice. I don't think anyone should be put to death by the state.

i think everyone deserves the CHANCE at life, but if you have FAILED as a human being, youve lost your chance.

Capital punishment has been used in almost every part of the world, but in the last few decades many countries have abolished it. Usage of capital punishment is usually broken into the four categories set out below. Of the 194 independent states that are UN members or have UN observer status:

98 (51%) have abolished it.
7 (4%) retain it for crimes committed in exceptional circumstances (such as in time of war).
49 (25%) permit its use for ordinary crimes, but have not used it for at least 10 years and are believed to have a policy or established practice of not carrying out executions, or it is under a moratorium.
40 (21%) maintain the death penalty in both law and practice.

i absolutely believe in the death penalty. if we have a better prison system that DIDNT charge me my tax dollars to keep a convicted killer alive and healthy, paying for his 3 square meals a day, a place to sleep, excersise time. things that HOMELESS Vets dont even get! thats rediculous. rapists/murderers/molesters... kill em all.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

reply to post by jheated5

Sure. Here you go. Cost of the death penalty

You are free to think it is more humane to kill a prisoner than to incarcerate them for life but I strongly disagree. That is your opinion that you cannot prove. So to each their own. I just don't see how someone can argue that someone living is more inhumane than killing them

Complete propaganda, just an excuse to steal more money from taxpayers is all that is.... Bullets are cheap.....

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dizrael

i think everyone deserves the CHANCE at life, but if you have FAILED as a human being, youve lost your chance.

Well who are you to decide more than I am?

i absolutely believe in the death penalty. if we have a better prison system that DIDNT charge me my tax dollars to keep a convicted killer alive and healthy, paying for his 3 square meals a day, a place to sleep, excersise time. things that HOMELESS Vets dont even get! thats rediculous. rapists/murderers/molesters... kill em all.

Well then petition for these things to be available to vets. Do something about it. Fight for reform on that. I'm on board with you. That's a #ty reason though to argue for someone to be put to death, though. Your reasoning isn't rational; it's emotional.

I mean seriously. Do something about it! Start a charity or a movement or a cause specifically aimed at that. I know a lot of people would get behind it! But actually do something! Don't just complain about something else that you deem "not fair."

Also, again, it costs more to execute than it does to incarcerate a criminal. Facts. And AGAIN we unfortunately don't get to choose where our tax money goes. I wish we could. I wish each year we could fill out a form denoting what percentage of our taxes went to what. That's not how it goes though
edit on 19-7-2012 by CoolerAbdullah786 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am all for treating them with respect and all but I draw the line when they start taking lives. I don't care if he doesn't know what he is doing, he is killing people so he needs not be around anymore.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

edit on 19-7-2012 by HandyDandy because: Computer glitch

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join