It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Plans to Execute a Mentally Retarded Man Tomorrow

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Yeah. Facts are propaganda.

Clearly you are here to just troll, not to honestly discuss facts. I'll be ignoring you now.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

hey, cooler....good op
I agree, I'm a veteran and an outdoorsman and even a night-time dangerous predator caller, we don't really need to step over that line of mortality.
but I'm curious about your thoughts on the Koran stating it should never overwrite the "first scriptures"
I have a hundred questions for ya!

edit on 19-7-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahushua is our new King !!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786
reply to post by kimish

Also it's not a "burden" to tax payers. It costs more to execute than it does to incarcerate.

id REALLY like to see a break down of how much it costs to kill them vs to feed and run the prisons for the extra men in death row.

pretty sure the death penalty can cost as low as $0.50 for a bullet...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by KryptKeeper

He's not around. He's imprisoned and can be separated from the population. There are other solutions other than killing people.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

Already posted a link. Go back and look at it. Also it's really simple to Google stuff like that. Just Google "Cost of incarceration versus death penalty."

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

reply to post by jheated5

Yeah. Facts are propaganda.

Clearly you are here to just troll, not to honestly discuss facts. I'll be ignoring you now.

Yeah a whole lot of trolling let me tell you..... I would like to see the chart of what the costs are included in the death penalty.... Seems like this murderer you're so avid to protect didn't have 180K when he killed 2 people, how did he do it so cheap?

edit on 19-7-2012 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

edit on 19-7-2012 by HandyDandy because: Computer glitch

Yeah, that scenario you posited is exactly what I am talking about. It would not be the first time a guard has attempted to frame an inmate.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

There are other solutions other than killing people.

Yeah. Let's just put them in a room full of each other so they can do it themselves........

That way our own conscience is clear.........correct?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by crawdad1914

edit on 19-7-2012 by HandyDandy because: Computer glitch

Yeah, that scenario you posited is exactly what I am talking about. It would not be the first time a guard has attempted to frame an inmate.

I'm glad you caught that before it got erased. It is one reason why I'm starting to rethink my stance a little. Cause it would be all too easy to do given the man's IQ.

Kill two birds with one stone so to speak. BTW....pun intended.

edit on 19-7-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

But, really, what IS humane? We can't let killers out of prison. If they stay in prison and have contact with other prisoners, people will die. If not murder, then the lifers will make prison a living hell for others. This is not humane at all in my book. Should they all have their very own cage?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You'd be surprised. True Christians, as I know them, would forgive somebody that did that to a loved one.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Dizrael

Also it's really simple to Google stuff like that. Just Google "Cost of incarceration versus death penalty."

its kinda the posters responsibility to post links to back them up, otherwise it looks more like opnion instead of fact.

but i do see where its posted now.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

There are other solutions other than killing people.

Yeah. Let's just put them in a room full of each other so they can do it themselves........

That way our own conscience is clear.........correct?

Sorry. I don't respond to nor do I entertain strawman fallacies.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by jiggerj

You'd be surprised. True Christians, as I know them, would forgive somebody that did that to a loved one.

Indeed. Christians should do that. If they don't then they are hypocrites who only pay lip service to Jesus. He constantly spoke of forgiving your enemy, not resisting an evil person, and blessing those who curse you. He even rescinded the Old Testament practice of an eye for an eye

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm against the death penalty unless it's clear that keeping an inmate alive would be a danger to other inmates and/or prison workers, etc etc. This fella killed another inmate. If it were me, I'd separate him from the general population and put him where he can't have much contact with others so he couldnt' hurt anyone. I'd at least try that first. But I'm not in charge ....

That costs money. I'm sure this will save money. I didn't make it that way.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Again, it costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them alive. I've already posted said link but you can also find the info if you Google search "Cost of incarceration versus death penalty."

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I rationally and unemotionally defend the death penalty. I will say I don't think in every case that someone taking another persons life is justified for the death penalty, but I still approve of it.

People who kill others deliberately, especially with motivations of greed or envy, should be killed. People who kill others during the commission of hate crimes should be killed. People who maim/injure/exploit the weaker should be killed (child molesters and rapists as the case may be).

We are animals. More highly evolved as it may be, but animals nonetheless. Violent animals are put down. Animals that have lost their faculties to function properly are put down. Emotion should not be thrown into it. It should be a matter of cause and effect. May sound Old Testament, but I don't prescribe to any religion, so take it as you will.

I find the idea of life-sentence to be cruel and unusual. I find the idea of a life-sentence is solitary confinement to be horrific.

I have read articles concerning the costs of life-incarceration vs the death penalty, and in reality, the cost difference comes down to legal red tape.

I personally believe that if you convicted of a crime where you are sentence to life without parole.. well.. just make the end of life come a little quicker, at the cost of only a bullet.

I love people, and I love dogs. And I have put down dogs because they were violent.

And yes.. I know how that looks, and you probably wouldn't want to ask me questions concerning other views I may have on those subjects, because they would open a can of worms that I would still unemotionally and rationally defend.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by johnnysixguns

Well Johnny I must say I do disagree with you but for the most part I do agree that you defended your view rationally and lacking emotion. I say "for the most part" because in my opinion some of what said still hints at emotionality (although not overly emotional like some people get).

The only time I will say that my opposition to the death penalty wavers is in regards to crimes against children, especially where they are murdered. And I will be the first to admit that my response to that kind of crime is emotional. Rationality definitely takes a back seat when someone kills a child. I'm a flawed human being so take it as it is. If I did support the death penalty in those cases, though, it would have to be a slam dunk case with no question whatsoever to the person's guilt. I also think that in those cases, the death penalty decision should be left up to the family of the victim. In fact, I think as long as the death penalty is legal it should be only used if it is the will of the victim's family. Although I still think that most times the family would make an emotional decision instead of rational one (revenge instead of justice) and so the red flags still raise for me.

I don't see how the death penalty is a matter of cause and effect, though. The cause may be the crime but the effect does not need to be the death penalty. There are other options.

You may find the idea of a life sentence or solitary confinement to be cruel and unusual but you are not the one facing the death penalty. That's another instance when I think the death penalty would be allowable. If the prisoner openly endorses it. I have seen instances of this (albeit they are few and far between). If an inmate is facing life in prison for a violent crime (and possibly solitary confinement) and would not want that and would be willing to take a death penalty for their crime, then so be it.

I just personally don't understand nor agree with the argument that killing a prisoner is more humane than letting them live their life incarcerated. I think that's just a slick argument that people use to endorse the death penalty and it is nothing more than opinion. It definitely cannot be proven as factual. It comes down to the individual.

Whatever the reasoning is for the cost, it still costs more. And not every instance is because of legal red tape. Even if that were the case, so what. A person is legally entitled to appeals and the like. So it's not as simple as "the cost of the bullet" unless you want to take people's rights away and you would DEFINITELY be sentencing a lot of innocent and wrongly convicted people to death before their cases could be reviewed and further ruled on.

And this is why I disagree with the "humans are animals" argument. That argument mainly comes from people who do not believe in a God or creation. The sanctity of life is lacking to people who use those arguments. Again please take no offense. I am not attempting to insult you. But when you view humans as nothing but animals, not a sacred life in the least bit, then you can compare executing them to "putting down a violent dog." It's not the same thing at all.

But, still, thank you for voicing your differing opinion respectfully and allowing for me to retort. Hopefully you remain respectful, and based on what I've seen from you in your response I must say I wish more people on the internet could respond the way you have.

Peace be upon you!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This man killed 2 people, clearly he isnt safe to be around, the death sentence would clear the prisons of high risk psycopaths and reduce the cost to taxpayers for keeping these monsters alive. People say that the death penalty is wrong, but if some psycho murdered one or more of your family members, would you still want that monster to continue living. Human Rights should mean nothing when you kill someone, once you take someone's life you are no longer human.
edit on 19-7-2012 by NightFlyer96 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2012 by NightFlyer96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Here is a thought: Is it possible for people to change? Is it possible to rehabilitate even the worst murderers?

Following is a great example many people use to prove that it is indeed possible. I am not Christian, but I find the teachings of the new testement, mainly forgiveness, redemption, and peacable dealings with others to be of great importance.
Paul formerly Saul, saw the light so to speak after a lifetime of murdering Christians. He was able to change for the good. Perhaps more should be done to rehabilitate those incarcerated, the current system does not do this at all.

www.harvardhouse.com...

Saul of Tarsus hated Christians. He made it his goal to capture, then bring Christians to public trial and execution. Saul was present when the first Christian martyr (named Stephen) was killed by an angry mob.

"... they all rushed at him (Stephen), dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul. . . . And Saul was there, giving approval to his death" (Acts 7.57 to 8:1).

After Stephen was martyred, Saul went door to door in Jerusalem finding people who believed that Jesus is the Messiah.

"Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off men and women and put them in prison" (Acts 8:3).

After putting these people in prison, Saul learned about their Christian friends in Damascus by somehow getting letters from the prisoners.

"I persecuted the followers of this Way to their death, arresting both men and women and throwing them into prison, as also the high priest and all the Council can testify. I even obtained letters from them to their brothers in Damascus, and went there to bring these people as prisoners to Jerusalem to be punished" (Acts 22:4-5).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join