It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first immortal man?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It's unethical.
They could rob brains without consent. Next thing you know youre suddenly a robot.

I don't believe he's volunteered himself as the first guinea pig.

Once he's revived inside the computer, he might not think its so great then. I imagine it to be like being in a coma, or brain dead, unable to move your body because its not there. That would be torture. Not anything he has a clue about because he's never experienced that.

It's ignorance, irregardless of how intelligent he obviously is. We don't really know enough on how conscience works. Would he have the sensation of a phantom body? Where it really feels your body or part of your body, is there. It could potentially feel that way. It would be a horrible, horrible struggle.

I only have half a functioning brain. It's hard enough not being able to move half my body. I get phantom feelings of my paralyzed hand moving, but I look at it and it and its not doing anything, it was just a very convincing illusion. I can feel my fingers touching fabric, feel the textures, everything. It's very real. You can have a limb amputated and get this sensation your limb is still there. That has to mean that no matter if you damage the neuron connections by brain death or removal of the body part the nurrons connect to, the body will still feel its there as a whole. I don't feel my conscienceless changed, but frankly maybe I can't really tell.

It's just mad scientists playing God.
edit on 20-7-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The article suggested googling Ted Williams Head:

Workers at an Arizona cryonics facility mutilated the frozen head of baseball legend Ted Williams - even using it for a bizarre batting practice, a new tell-all book claims.

In "Frozen," Larry Johnson, a former exec at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Ariz., graphically describes how The Splendid Splinter" was beheaded, his head frozen and repeatedly abused.

The book, out Tuesday from Vanguard Press, tells how Williams' corpse became "Alcorian A-1949" at the facility, where bodies are kept suspended in liquid nitrogen in case future generations learn how to revive them.
Link

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I really love ATS. Apparently, it is home to some of humanity's greatest thinkers.

Some people on this thread:

"Ha...this Harvard Post-Doc guy doesn't know what he's talking about! Let me explain why this is stupid using what I learned on the interwebz."

ATS
Project Arrogance

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Dump the T. The first immoral man was created a long time ago.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Get the preservation gel isolation chamber ready and the quadruped walker armed with railguns - We may very well have ourselves an immortal soldier

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Oh really?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What if we have already done this on a universal scale? maybe from a previous universe maybe we were a super civilisation that built a storage device possible holographic light storage and what we now experiance is all simulated on that device? Maybe built at the centre of a blackhole or something exotic, also being a blackhole it would collect energy and light to power it slef for eternity?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I think I saw this on an episode of Star Trek.
Dr. Roger Corby comes to mind.
In the end the was as dead as the rest of the hardware around him.
edit on 22-7-2012 by Cynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
His brain isn't his life or consciousness.

It is a projector the soul/spirit thinks and is consciousness.

If what he did was successful, he would be a kind of robot, the body suit, duplicated digitally, or somehow woven into it, but he would die and pass over, his consciousness.

AI is never consciousness, its a toaster.
edit on 22-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I personally believe that this will be possible. There is the Human Connectome Project, that is currently mapping brain connectivity between neurons.

Human Connectome Project

Currently the supercomputer at the NSA Utah Data Center will be able to handle yottabytes of information. Given enough time, supercomputers will be able to emulate the billions of neural connections that make up the human consciousness. Too some this may be disturbing because some believe there is a "soul". Really, it's just the genetic/ epigenetic and chemical makeup that defines us throughout our lifespan. Our brains exhibit plasticity, and thus other areas of the brain can compensate for damaged areas, or even areas that have been surgically removed. Life events can even effect the plasticity of the brain, thus making us unique.
In time, algorithms will be created that can emulate and copy the whole brain fingerprint of an individual and upload it into a solid state information substrate.
These are exciting and scary times!!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Dump the T. The first immoral man was created a long time ago.

Why would I dump Mr. T?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

This is old news and not new. The concept
has been plagiarized from the Russians
www.pakalertpress.com... es/
www.forbes.com...

edit on 22/7/12 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

Immortal less the T is immoral. People without morals have been around a long time. It was a stupid pun, I"m not that good at making jokes but am trying to get better.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Another Loose Nut, wonder how surprised he would feel if someone decided to Format the said Computer ?? Be like a scrambled egg then.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
And they will go to great lengths ti protect this image. For example, they will postulate that people whoi have NDEs are simply having chemical processes being triggered in their brains because of hormones being released into the bloodstream. Have they ever said which hormones and been able to replicate this process? Well, no, not exactly, but that MUST be what is going on. It's a "Swamp Gas" kind of explanation.

You're wrong, go read up on '___'

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Oh, what can possibly go wrong with brain cloning?

Person 1: NO, Shoot HIM! I'M YOU'RE HUSBAND!
Person 2: Remember all of the good times we've spent together, it was us not with him!
Person 1: Don't listen to him, he's evil! You need to trust your instincts!
Person 2: But we've experienced so much together, we had children, we married, and flew to the moon and back!
*The wife shoots person #2*
Person 1: Oh thank god, you've made the right decision.... (or did she?)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
Oh, what can possibly go wrong with brain cloning?

Person 1: NO, Shoot HIM! I'M YOU'RE HUSBAND!
Person 2: Remember all of the good times we've spent together, it was us not with him!
Person 1: Don't listen to him, he's evil! You need to trust your instincts!
Person 2: But we've experienced so much together, we had children, we married, and flew to the moon and back!
*The wife shoots person #2*
Person 1: Oh thank god, you've made the right decision.... (or did she?)

Solution to that..shoot them both. Ya cant be sure without a autopsy.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by elevenaugust

So many ethical questions.

Is that "you?"

It will have all your memories, but will it be your consciousness? Will you have a perception or knowledge of the you that once was, or will this just be a new entity with your knowledge? We can already preserve memories through memoirs and autobiographies, and photographs, and voice recordings, but programming those things into a computer does not make a clone of "you."

I don't think this is going to work.

Of course its not going to work. The mere concept it ludicrous. Im not denying the science to achieve the goal of uploading a brain into a digital format and then transferring that into a robotic body. I believe given time and enough resources humans can do anything.

BUT the delusion that this will somehow be a way to live forever is idiocy because YOU wont be the one living forever. I cant believe someone who is so educated as this supposed scientist can be so simple minded. Consciousness arises not just from our memories but also the evolution and interactions of all our senses. and once you die re creating your memories wont mean you suddenly wake up in a new body
as if.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Imagine the confusion though. Imagine having a conversation with a person, and then they put them out, kill them, slice up the brain. load it into a computer, decode it, bring it online, and you can continue the same conversation, but it is now with a machine. Same memories, same everything, but surely there would be some missing spark? Some personality quirk impossible to emulate. Wouldn't there?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

and what we have here, is when science stops being science, but fiction. I have an open mind, but not so much that my brain will fall out. Besides I am the only immortal and you all will die when I die.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join