It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first immortal man?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
On a side note when will his copyright expire? I could see the IRAA lining up to protect their minds from being copyrighted thoughts?

sorry couldn't help myself......

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Well, if I didn't know better, I'd think I saw this in a movie....

Hey, I did see it in a movie! Pretty good movie too.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Tron.
Interesting concept. All we see, hear, feel ànd, taste, is electromagnetic waves transferred into our precption of "reality ".I heardnthey can implant false memories into peoples minds now.And read our thoughts. Sorry, no links.I'm new here and will get that soon.not being paranoid its just something. Ive read probably here on ats.
edit on 19-7-2012 by jkeyes because: mispelling

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well, the earth is overpopulated. If he wants to put his brain on a floppy then let him at it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
maybe you will be the next steven hawkins voice, thats about it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Must be how president Eden was created in fallout 3.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by boncho

Essentially, you could make 1 or 100 copies of the same thing. None of which would be "you".

Debatable. The medium on which consciousness is stored is irrelevant if the consciousness can operate as normal. Just because the consciousness no longer exists and operates inside the biological human shell it was originally operating in, doesn't mean it's not the same consciousness. True, you could make more than one copy, but each of them would whole heartedly believe they were the original. It could be said all of them are "you"... what ever "you" really means.

Sure, thoughts and memories and what not could be stored in a robot, so that the robot would be exactly like "you" and act exactly like "you" and even say that it is "you", but there is still absolutely no way to tell if the guy's actual consciousness (which I have yet to hear a good definition of) is working and aware in the robot.

en.wikipedia.org...

This guy seems to assume that consciousness is completely rooted in the physical (chemical reactions and what not), as another poster said, and is blind to the possibility that if he kills himself and transfers the information in his brain to a computer, his actual consciousness or "soul" might not go into the new robot. I think this guy may try to live forever, but "he himself" won't be living forever, and after he has ended his own life all that will be left of him will be just a soulless, empty copy of himself. Is that really "him"? In my opinion, no, though I could be wrong.

What's worse is what if this guy succeeded and got his thoughts and memories and stuff onto a robot, thus inspiring other people to try the same thing- putting their brain in a robot. Due to the problem of other minds (^ i posted a link above), we'd never be able to know if these people were really living forever or if they were just killing themselves.

What's more, all things considered, there's always the question of would you want to live in this world forever?

There's way too many problems with this idea. Scientists should learn more about consciousness itself before they foolishly attempt something like this, IMHO.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Back in 2008 a very good friend passed unexpectedly away, at the time I was working as a Community Interpreter and I responded a call from the local hospital asking for my services. When I arrived at the hospital I had one hell of a surprise. The German man in question looked so very much like my deceased friend, it was unbelievable, not only the outer appearance but also the medical condition, the circumstances in his life, the speech frequency and the attitude were a match. Strangely enough he experienced the symptoms the first time in his life around the time my friend passed away, he did not have conscious memory recollection, though he made few very specific remarks that definitely on a subconscious on his behalf let me understand he had been, I dare to call it "soul transferred".

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
reply to post by Cinnamon

Aristarchos was considered a madman etc...

I respectfully disagree with you here. I think that Ken is kind of off his rocker. I feel like he doesn't realize that if he succeeds he will not be the immortal being he is trying to create. Not going down this route anyways. All he would create is a computerized (most likely incredibly buggy) version of his brain living in a terrifying half life. And this dream is at the cost of his life. That is not a rational path of development for this kind of technology. At least start on simulating insects or something.

I just don't understand why he is unable to see that he will only be killing himself to enable the creation of a copy of himself. The copy won't be him. When he dies he will be dead, and whether or not there is a soul is irrelevant at this point. As long as the soul doesn't miraculously inhabit the copy, his life's work would have been solely to create a computer with his mind and memories.

Sure, he may be on to something, brain sims could very well be the basis for artificial intellegence (an AI with a former human life stored in its memory may actually prevent Terminator), but I feel like the guy has some actual issues.
edit on 20-7-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Imagine living forever in a robot body that is encased in a drum of cement locked in a dark room...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Thanks, elevenaugust, interesting topic !

Somehow, I can't see this happening. The complex and intangible workings of the human brain will never be replicated on a mere computer programme, no matter how sophisticated the equipment.

How do you replicate soul, self awareness, spatial perception, memory, abstract thinking, ( Especially.) processing and response of / to sensory input, ( Unless of course maybe I'm misunderstanding / overcomplicating what he is trying to do ? )

I may be proved wrong, but I think this idea is best left to science fiction, though I applaud his efforts. Without people like him, we wouldn't be where we are today ....

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

Since this is so far all up to opinion I can not and will not say that you are wrong.
Personally I believe something like this could work.

What if this process would start a Quantum entanglement controlled by the subjects soul when it passes over to the other "hard-drive". Thus in a way transferring the real basis of the subjects consciousness into the other "hard-drive".
Could that be some kind of original state which the soul/mind would pass over to. In a way saying that it is the same person as before, just in another environment.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Uploading yourself to a computer you'd probably feel omnipotent in something like a neural network.
I don't think till you apply the brain software to something that it becomes sentient again.
Sure applying some kind of "robot eye" to a mechanical computer body could work in allowing the brain too see.
But on a neural network what if two robots ran the same "person" would this person experience two different dimensions simultaneously something like quantum mechanics, or would you have a clash in system privilege?
This makes me think of Cylons.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Finishthis

I never been a big fan of Battle Star Galactica so I do not know that much about Cylons.
But could it not work just as it does now with a persons two eyes? Double information combined into one single stream of information?
In a way our two eyes perceives two different dimensions yet the brain in the end will make sense of it as if it was one dimension, creating depth.
So this "double robot perception" could be translated into one single information stream, creating some kind of new "depth" and awareness.

edit on 20-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
The human brain is without a doubt the most incredibly complex and amazing thing ever produced to date in the entire cosmos. Where will the pineal gland be? How will he see? This guy is a quack if he thinks he can just become a robot instead of dying.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Just playing devils advocate here but...

If the soul if some mystical, unknown 'thing' that makes us what we are, and what you identify as you isn't merely a stream of electrical impulses zipping around your brain, then drugs wouldn't affect people the way they do...a drug can make the calmest, most gentle person on earth a raging psychopath capable of horrifying atrocities. They can make the most caring person in the world completely heartless. They can make you happy, sad, horny, depressed, angry and everything in between...which means emotions are connected to biological functions not your soul (if the soul isn't a physical thing then physical drugs shouldn't have any effect on it). It's also well documented that ethics, morals, beliefs and self image are all formed through your environment (look at all the rare diseases that cause people to become unable to recognise their arm as their own etc). So if your environment, drugs and trauma define your self of identity, emotions, beliefs and set of morals..what's left?

I think we all agree intelligence is a function of the brain (and studies prove this to be the case), so take away intelligence as well and all you have left is a big bag of flesh...which is comprised of a mix of genes from your parents so that can't be your soul either... so now we've eliminated literally every single piece of the human body and all the things that we use to identify ourselves/each other... where's the soul and what purpose does it serve? It doesn't provide emotions, it doesn't provide self awareness or morals/belief systems, it doesn't provide intelligence and it doesn't provide a physical prescence...

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I agree that keeping the brain alive apart from the body may be the only way to reach an immortal consciousness of self but I`d rather die

edit on 20-7-2012 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This brings in the question of consciousness like it does with teleportation wherein you have to be destroyed (or ... killed) and rebuilt at a new location. The rebuilt "you" may look like you, have the same memories, preferences, habits ... but is it you? Are you still there? Are you still consciously perceiving the world around you as you were before the fact? Or is it a copy of you either "going thru the motions" or a "new" conciousness that you're not a part of. But it is unprovable for an outside observer to work out if it is still you, because for all intents and purposes, it is.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I wonder, Mac or PC?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
OK if you could program a computer network to precisely mirror your concious self what of it? and if it could occupy the void of your life when you passed on I am sure it would appear to be alive. It might order a can of oil for its rusty joints when needed and recognise 'Mom' the way you did but would 'You' see thru its eyes? I don't think so.
Some of the very small UFO's could be concious machine entities because intelligent life can only get so small before its IQ drops off the scale but that's getting off the subject.
If our new 'You' was a functioning android that said 'Hello Mike' and passed wind now and then it might be said to indeed be concious and desiring to 'live' and you can bet it would learn a survival instinct even if not programmed because if we tried to destroy it... it would run like Hell!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join