The first immortal man?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ken Hayworth, a postdoctoral scientist at Harvard University, believes that he can live forever...

He wants to plastinate his brain and have it uploaded to a computer to achieve an immortal consciousness. Is he brilliant? Is he crazy? Is he both?

Anyway, the sine qua non condition for the success of this project is simply that he have to die at first...

Hayworth has spent much of the past few years in a windowless room carving brains into very thin slices. He is by all accounts a curious man, known for casually saying things like, "The human race is on a beeline to mind uploading: We will preserve a brain, slice it up, simulate it on a computer, and hook it up to a robot body." He wants that brain to be his brain. He wants his 100 billion neurons and more than 100 trillion synapses to be encased in a block of transparent, amber-colored resin—before he dies of natural causes.

Why? Ken Hayworth believes that he can live forever.

But first he has to die.

"If your body stops functioning, it starts to eat itself," he explains to me one drab morning this spring, "so you have to shut down the enzymes that destroy the tissue." If all goes according to plan, he says cheerfully, "I'll be a perfect fossil." Then one day, not too long from now, his consciousness will be revived on a computer. By 2110, Hayworth predicts, mind uploading—the transfer of a biological brain to a silicon-based operating system—will be as common as laser eye surgery is today.

It's the kind of scheme you expect to encounter in science fiction, not an Ivy League laboratory. But little is conventional about Hayworth....

Read the whole paper on The Chronicle of Higher Education

A quick look at its Curriculum Vitae makes me think that he's probably not crazy...
He also own a website called: "Brain Preservation Foundation

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
so smart he's figured out a way to trap himself in Hell.

i think he's gonna have trouble selling this as a practical solution to mankind's desire to live forever.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Brilliant mother___ers sound like crazy mother___ers to dumb mother__ers.

But my question is, why does anyone want to be immortal? In the end, all that's left is death. Besides, I don't want to see what mankind does to Earth in another 500 years...

Yeah, immortality is stupid. It's like having all the money in the world: all you have is time to waste, because no one thinks to make the world better with that money. And if they do, someone stops them.

Good luck with immortality, sir. You'll be screaming by the end of the ride.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hes going to commit suicide to try this? Ummmm...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

So many ethical questions.

Is that "you?"

It will have all your memories, but will it be your consciousness? Will you have a perception or knowledge of the you that once was, or will this just be a new entity with your knowledge? We can already preserve memories through memoirs and autobiographies, and photographs, and voice recordings, but programming those things into a computer does not make a clone of "you."

I don't think this is going to work.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Crazy stuff!

However - I don't see this as living forever, but rather as making very advanced simulated replicas of oneself.
The thing is, that even though it might have his memories, and might process data accordingly to his own brian, the data it'll be fed, and the perception it will obtain will be much different from humans.

Imagine life without senses, but having endless acces to information, only limited by your bandwidth. You won't feel hungry, or horny, cold or warm.
So yes, some kind of weird superhuman simulation that might live for ever. But not eternal life. Cause I don't see how they imagine they would be able to reproduce all the chemical reactions going on inside the entire body, and not just the brain, or if they even would want to do that.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

"Is that 'you'?"

This question is hilarious. Because it isn't the original, physical you, it doesn't matter if your mind is completely active inside a biomechanical bodysuit.

Because we're all about what's physical, right? Humans never change. *spits*

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think he's missing the boat myself. It's not about the physical brain at all. The brain is the hardware. The mind and consciousness are the software. He's suggesting that if you cut up the computer into little slices and "upload" it into another computer, albeit a different variety, that the initial computer will still work.

It won't, of course, because it will lack the software. Microsoft Word won't be on it. All this shows is, that like Stephen Pinker, he is a scientific rationalist who believes the physical is all there is, that "consciousness" can be explained as a series of physical chemical processes. That's how they see the world.

And they will go to great lengths ti protect this image. For example, they will postulate that people whoi have NDEs are simply having chemical processes being triggered in their brains because of hormones being released into the bloodstream. Have they ever said which hormones and been able to replicate this process? Well, no, not exactly, but that MUST be what is going on. It's a "Swamp Gas" kind of explanation.

I believe his approach is completely wrong--simplistic, even, because he doesn't get it. However, the point itself is valid. Is there any reason human consciousness could not inhabit a silicon-based brain rater than a carbon-based one? What's so special about cells and neurons? If we could develop a computer with as many neurons as the human brain, which will be possible in a few short years, why would it not be possible to populate it with consciousness?

More to the point, if an AI computer began to declare it is conscious all by itself and demand its Civil Rights, on what basis would we refuse?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This would make a great television series!

Let's call it Caprica.

oh wait.

-SC

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

If you can replicate the chemicular process and neuron pathways, mapping them in a series of simulated situations (several quintillions of them) or copy the reactions to specific sets of variables (again, several quintillion sets) then you could probably create "Ken program".

Unfortunately, it would take a team of 2 million scientists like...50 years to do it. And it would still come out flawed.

"DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE!"

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I hope they have a hard drive large enough to hold the capacity of his brain. Otherwise, he is screwed.

Personally, I think this is a cool concept, if it works. There is a reason why we are not immortal, not exactly sure what that reason is, but there has to be one.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

He wants to plastinate his brain and have it uploaded to a computer to achieve an immortal consciousness. Is he brilliant? Is he crazy? Is he both?

Actually this an extremely old idea and there are numerous books and TV shows which incorporate this idea into the story line. I actually though if this idea many years ago, it's a fairly obvious concept really.

But of course, your existence depends on the safely and security of the computers on which you exist, and it also requires that the computers are fast enough to let your consciousness operate normally.

I for one would like to live in a virtual reality, something like the matrix, except you wouldn't have a real body, your consciousness would also be stored entirely on the computers. I wouldn't want to live forever though.

Imagine the benefits though... nothing in the virtual world could really hurt you physically, you practically be a God in that world and you could create and experience any reality you wanted. It would be awesome.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
What a coincidence. I couldn't sleep last night and I posted about this exact same thing under the topic of immortality!

I do think this is how reincarnation would work. Unfortunately, I don't think his method will work. Like another poster said, we are already a program running in hardware. I don't think this software is hardwired into the computer but rather acts like the Microsoft Cloud software. There's plenty of cases of people existing with half a brain or just a brain stem and doing just fine.

Copying the hardware isn't enough, you need the connection with the software. Perhaps this would be the baby without a soul.
edit on July 19th 2012 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

He reminds me of a young Bill Gates.

We're boned...

Peace

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightFire

The reason might be to prevent us from learning the truth about all that is. We become more intelligent with every passing year, find new ways to perserve knowledge. On the flip side maybe the only thing we will continue to find are more questions maybe death is a gift for which our reward is the truth and by living forever we trap ourselves in an eternity of trying to find it.
edit on 19-7-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: spelling

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Uploading your brain is not really living forever, more like a copy of yourself that remembers what it was like to be human.

Essentially, you could make 1 or 100 copies of the same thing. None of which would be "you".

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I think he's missing the boat myself. It's not about the physical brain at all. The brain is the hardware. The mind and consciousness are the software. He's suggesting that if you cut up the computer into little slices and "upload" it into another computer, albeit a different variety, that the initial computer will still work.
Actually, he would be well aware of that. The brain is indeed the hardware, and it is the electrical activity which flows through the hardware which generates the consciousness. Just as on a normal computer, if you run some software, electrical signals will be processed by the CPU and other hardware... however, the software is typically stored permanently, just like our memories are stored in our brain. There is a way to read the memories stored in a brain, because ultimately they too are stored via electrical and magnetic methods.
edit on 19/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Essentially, you could make 1 or 100 copies of the same thing. None of which would be "you".

Debatable. The medium on which consciousness is stored is irrelevant if the consciousness can operate as normal. Just because the consciousness no longer exists and operates inside the biological human shell it was originally operating in, doesn't mean it's not the same consciousness. True, you could make more than one copy, but each of them would whole heartedly believe they were the original. It could be said all of them are "you"... what ever "you" really means.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is really cool!
How can we say for sure that the mind/soul will not be transferred and working in this process.
After all our brain is only a "machine", though a squishy one.
I think that the mind/soul could very well be stored in some kind of other level/dimension/reality and possibly successfully transformed into another host.
Squishy or solid, I do not think it matters.

People say there is no life after death. OK thats an opinion just as good as any other.
But before we are made/born, there is nothing right, we do not exist. We are dead/non existent.
Yet we start to live...??
So we go from non existent to being alive = Life after death??
edit on 19-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Just as on a normal computer, if you run some software, electrical signals will be processed by the CPU and other hardware... however, the software is typically stored permanently, just like our memories are stored in our brain. The is a way to read the memories stored in a brain, because ultimately they too are stored via electrical and magnetic methods.

Actually, there is a lot unknown about memory and how it' stored.

As we advance, more and more software is not being stored permanently but rather accessed from the internet. (Think about the concept of the collective unconscious).

In fact, if someone didn't give you the knowledge, I bet people would think many of their programs are stored in their machine instead the internet.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join