The first immortal man?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

That's odd. I saw the original movie, and from the opening credits, it looked like they started with her brain and spinal cord and added all the body parts onto it. I just assumed that she had a living brain (preserved consciousness), and just got upgrades for her cyborg body, and the same thing happened near the end when her partner had a spare body laying around to use for her.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
More big promises about this crap.

Look
build it and they will come.

Until then any promise from this or genetic engineering should be treated like a pitch for a movie.

They want money and lots of it. They play off our need to please ourselves and the fear we may have about our mortality.

They always end up asking for money for development without first doing what everyone else does, research and phased trials.

but no, they say momentum must be preserved and justify making outlandish claims that are basically lies and speculation. I bet this guy works for or will work for the RD department of some big government teet sucker.

Just like Monsato scientists promising to end world hunger yet all they have done is create a monopoly on the agricultural industry and control the food supply. We Still have world hunger.....still have farmers going broke....

and they have everything they asked for and will ask for.....yet nothing for years now. Nicer looking fruits and veggies maybe...not more of them in hungry bellies.

I want everyone to think of Walt Disney. How insane was that man?......frozen heads of rich dumb asses that cant accept death. Now this guy will make a few claims, throw some technical mumbo jumbo and *poof* government subsidy and public support.

+ I will make you immortal.....-now?
+no not now, later........-um, ok...?
+just give me your life´s blood now and permission forever to do what I want.......-um, no?!?!
+cave man!...............-?!!!?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
So by that logic if you clone a person and make an identical twin, you'd be able to see from the clone's eyes and also your own?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
What if the system he is uploaded to gets shut down? Like the power grid gets knocked out for a day or even the computer gets a virus. Anyway I feel sorry for him even if it works because he could very well be saying good bye to an amazing afterlife.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
What if the system he is uploaded to gets shut down? Like the power grid gets knocked out for a day or even the computer gets a virus. Anyway I feel sorry for him even if it works because he could very well be saying good bye to an amazing afterlife.

No problem, just need redundant servers, but then that begs the question, which one is him? If he exists in several hard drives simulataneously, then which one is the real him? If he has a really bad day, can he just reboot back to the last backup save? What if he doesn't like something, but he wants to like it, can those things be altered at will?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
What a coincidence. I couldn't sleep last night and I posted about this exact same thing under the topic of immortality!

I do think this is how reincarnation would work. Unfortunately, I don't think his method will work. Like another poster said, we are already a program running in hardware. I don't think this software is hardwired into the computer but rather acts like the Microsoft Cloud software. There's plenty of cases of people existing with half a brain or just a brain stem and doing just fine.

Copying the hardware isn't enough, you need the connection with the software. Perhaps this would be the baby without a soul.
edit on July 19th 2012 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

I have heard of people living with half a brain, but just a brain stem, really?

Do you by chance have a link to such a story, im interested in this and would like to read more about it?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This 'Scientist', if he can be called that is so misguided he needs looking after. His grandiose plan of 'uploading' memory etc is laughable. Suppose you or me programmed a computer to mimic our reactions to daily events - then killed ourself! Would that be us inside the PC? of course not - that guy is a joke. Who is to say immortality is some kind of picnic and what would a functioning [biological] immortal most resemble? An old fella, sturdy adult or youth (Apollo)? and you can bet your bottom dollar that regular culture would fight against such a creation because it would eventually represent Death as in the immortals lack of it and your eventual guaranteed demise.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinnamon

Aristarchos was a madman for saying that the Earth is circling the Sun instead of the opposite.

Galileo was not to popular either when he seconded that.

Pythagoras claiming the Earth is spherical and not flat, madman.

I guess Darwin was not to popular when he came out with his theory of evolution.

Who thought humans would go to the moon when Jules Verne wrote his "Sci-fi" novel De la Terre à la Lune.

It is always like this when new discoveries are being made.
Open up your mind my friend and accept that there are so much more to discover.

edit on 19-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: pictures

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

I would not call it living, but perhaps something you would find interesting to read.

Anencephaly is a cephalic disorder that results from a neural tube defect that occurs when the cephalic (head) end of the neural tube fails to close, usually between the 23rd and 26th day of pregnancy, resulting in the absence of a major portion of the brain, skull, and scalp. Strictly speaking, the translation of the Greek term to English is "no brain" (that is, totally lacking).

Anencephaly Wiki
edit on 19-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by schuyler

If you can replicate the chemicular process and neuron pathways, mapping them in a series of simulated situations (several quintillions of them) or copy the reactions to specific sets of variables (again, several quintillion sets) then you could probably create "Ken program".

Unfortunately, it would take a team of 2 million scientists like...50 years to do it. And it would still come out flawed.

"DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE!"

With that attitude of course you'll never do it, but I agree that there are probably intracies involved that we don;t have a clue about. However, when the Genome Project started they were in a similar situation. With the computational power they had it was going to take tens of thousands of years to do the computations. But they did it in a few short years because the cost of computation decresed exponentially and the power of the computers themselves increased exponentially. Indeed, they are seriously suggesting that sequencing your own DNA will cost $100 in a couple of years.

Computing power shows no sign of slowing down. We already have computers designing computers.

So I think it very much DOES compute! Ha ha ha.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The only one thing I'm certian about is that this person is willing to go long lengths for this goal he wants to accomplish. He's willing to die, in order to make it happen. What he doesn't realize is that when he dies, the person that controls his body won't be him but instead an illusion of real consciousness itself. This person, no matter what will absoluly believe it's "him" and that he had really died and came back into his body.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

It sounds more like he is actually extending his death forever (a true Rephaim).

I'm pretty sure that I'm already immortal, as are all other consciousnesses.

I propose (as do many others) that our consciousness is entangled with the universe at a quantum level. Our brain is merely the device for the expression of our consciousness.

To support this idea, I'd like to call as examples those whose brain activity is interrupted but are physically revived and when they regain consciousness, they retain their self hood, with many of them having memory of things that occurred seemingly while their brain was "off-line".

Similarly, with magnetic pulses it is possible to disrupt the activity of sections of the brain but upon removal of the pulse source, brain function fairly immediately returns to normal (does not need to reboot or reload a program). This to me indicates that the brain (which can be disrupted) is NOT the substrate of consciousness.

I am aware that for a neural net such as our brain, much of the functionality is in the structure, but even so, the data component of us (which would be wiped by disruption) seems to re-establish far too quickly.

To me, this indicates that the brain is merely a physical node in a larger and distributed system that is "ourselves" (not to mention apparent collective consciousness and other evidences, too).

edit on 19/7/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Imagine that, connecting yourself up to something that can be hacked by someone else. Global domination of the human race won't be so hard then.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by davidchin
reply to post by yuppa

Yes, Ghost in the Shell had some great concepts, but even there, the brain (and it seems the spinal cord as well) was kept alive and transferred to the newer bodies.

The main female character was completely artificial and even capable of transmitting her consciousness through the internet and into other mechanical bodies.

Actually...only part of her brain was synthetic. She was Human before conversion because her body was decaying. The whole transferring consciousness would not work if her main body died. It was liek a copy of herself she sent,but could monitor without actually risking her"life" Some in the series are partial cyborg. Regular brains in shells with NO synthetics in the head,Well other than some wetware so they can have the Out of body experiences or connectivity to devices directly controlled with brainwaves. Shirow is Pretty detailed(he has said he is neurotic himself sometimes) OH and another thing. most times the nanobots they use convert the brain into a cyber brain in some individuals.Atom by atom. (if the buyer request as a option)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa
reply to post by boncho

Here is a question for you. What if humans could remove their brains still alive but in a special casing housing them? Then transfer it over to a synthetic body packed with neuron that would connect to the Brain stem in the protective casing? Nanobots would have to wire the brain up to the synthetic body but afterwards the person is synched with the new body. Now would that person still be Themselves or different?

Yes I love Ghost In the shell. Its got some interesting ideas.

I would say that person is still themselves. Sort of...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Last weeks episode of Through The Wormhole was about this subject.

Fascinating stuff but it really doesn't make any sense. I understand the science has to be dumbed down for a television audience, but they're really missing some key aspects, such as how slicing up and scanning photos of a brain is going to retain all of the information from that person, or how they're going to download the information into a new brain/body in the future.

edit on 19-7-2012 by freelance_zenarchist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I don't really understand why people are saying 'it won't be you uploaded to the computer'. Until this procedure actually happens, you don't know the outcome the same as I don't or anyone else. It might be you, it might not, you don't know, and neither do I.

It's a mystery, so props to him for wanting to find out whether we really can 'live' forever.

And why wouldn't you want to live forever? Death seems so unnecessary, there is so much to experience, wouldn't you want more time to do it all?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I think the "you" is really being identified as the "soul". I can tell we're all sort of pussy footing around it, but whether we believe it or not, it's on all of our minds. Will it be HIM? His SOUL, if he already dies and then comes back inside a new physical shell. I'm personally not sure but I'm having my doubts.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by splittheatom
I don't really understand why people are saying 'it won't be you uploaded to the computer'. Until this procedure actually happens, you don't know the outcome the same as I don't or anyone else. It might be you, it might not, you don't know, and neither do I.

It's a mystery, so props to him for wanting to find out whether we really can 'live' forever.

And why wouldn't you want to live forever? Death seems so unnecessary, there is so much to experience, wouldn't you want more time to do it all?

A case of not wanting to live forever. The Highlander series. Multiple examples of functional immortal men and women.(yes i know TV) Still they brought up some good reasons Why living forever would not be fun. How many times could you endure losing loved ones? how many times could you move to keep from being studied or thought of being a monster? Now extending your life to say 200 yrs old should be sufficient for anyone.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

If the radio station isn't broadcasting anymore, it doesn't matter how well or long the radio receiver is preserved.

Namaste.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join