It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true story behind the bible

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

could you elaborate on your views/thoughts on the afterlife? if there even is one? i was also raised a christian but have grown to believe that religion was invented as a means for control and i've been struggling with the near infinite possibilites of what could be waiting for us on the other side of this worldy existence.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by staygreenforever

I believe in reincarnation. I believe that no matter how you act in this life, you will be reincarnated back into this universe as some kind of animal or sentient creature.

Jesus says that in order to reach heaven, you must be 'born again'. When you are reincarnated, you are literally born again back into this universe, which is heaven.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
:bnghd:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I'm guessing you believe that everything in the bible is completely false? You don't think it has any semblance of truth in it? What exactly are you referring to as 'drivel'?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

80% of the Bible is plagiarized.

I never referred to you specifically, although I can change that. I'd rather not, as I'm having a severe allergic reaction to the BS in this thread.
edit on 19-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
If we change any of the strong or weak forces even by the tiniest fraction of a percent, the universe would cease to exist. The universe is perfectly balanced to support life. I don't mean that to make it sound as though something created the universe in order for this to be possible, the universe is this way because of itself, so that it may survive.

Fine-tuned, it would seem to me, suggests a tuner. A Tuner suggests a consciousness greater than yourself. If you wanna be a bunch of blind atoms in a blind universe spinning nowhere fast...I'd say you were on the right track.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

A Tuner suggests a consciousness greater than yourself.

If it's greater than us, how can any of us pretend to understand it?

And yet we do, far enough that we can control other people by "talking" to it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I agree a lot of it is plagiarized from earlier religions, I even stated that in my third or fourth post in this thread.

But the bible is what is widely believed in the world today, so that is why it is what this topic is based on. Just because you don't have the ability to understand what I am saying doesn't mean it is 'drivel' as you put it.

The path to enlightenment starts with understanding, which you obviously lack the ability to do.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

The universe is 'fine tuned' because that is the only way in which it can survive. It has fine tuned itself in order to exist. To think that their is a god outside of this universe is a ridiculous notion.

You believe that there could be an infinitely old god that needs no creator yet lack the ability to apply that same logic to the universe, why is that?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The universe is greater than us, by a tune of infinity. How small are we and how big is the universe? You can't comprehend it because it is impossible to comprehend its scale.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

To continue the theme of the thread I will move along to the tower of babel. This is when man decided to try and build a tower high enough in order to reach heaven and god in his anger for the arrogance of man, destroyed the tower then spread those men across the Earth giving them different skin colors and different languages so that they would not be able to coordinate or communicate with one another to try the feat again.

The tower of babel could be attributed to two things. The first is that maybe someone did try to reach the heavens by building a tower, but back in those days they didn't have the technology we do today, so this tower was most likely made of wood nailed together.

If the wood tower theory is correct...

But your wood theory is apparently not correct. According to Genesis they made brick, they burned it thoroughly, btw, and used "slime" as mortar.

You should probably show some more flair for scholarship before you state a large theorem such as, "The true story behind the Bible." Not trying to be mean particularly, but there are so many holes here and your claims are so outrageous that it's hard not to comment in a way that might catch your attention.

The ancients, btw, were neither as technologically nor intellectually bereft as you seem to perceive them.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

reply to post by The GUT

The universe is 'fine tuned' because that is the only way in which it can survive. It has fine tuned itself in order to exist. To think that their is a god outside of this universe is a ridiculous notion.

You believe that there could be an infinitely old god that needs no creator yet lack the ability to apply that same logic to the universe, why is that?
To think you can talk yourself in circles like that and see no dichotomy is more than ridiculous.

The impetus to "survive" has no context outside of consciousness. How could it?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

The universe is conscious though because we are conscious. How exactly am I talking myself in circles? Please elaborate.

Either way, the higher the tower becomes, the more unstable it becomes because of the wind. It doesn't matter if it is brick or wood, it will still give way because of the laws of physics.

I never said that they were completely bereft, I said that they were not as advanced as we are now, meaning they did not understand as much. Progress moves forward with time, not backwards.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by adjensen

So do you think it is a coincidence that the Biblical stories line up with the changing of the ages?

You are a Dispensationalist? I've read Scofield, so I'm familiar with his point of view, but I'm not convinced of it. You are welcome to convert me.

Don't know who or what that is, but you're welcome to answer my question. Is it a coincidence that the Biblical stories follow along with the changing of the ages, as per the procession of the equinox?

You mean they go along with the seasons? "Changing of the ages" would refer to something over a very long period of time, which is what Dispensationalism is -- the breaking up of the story of man in the Bible into different "ages", such as the "Age of Law" or the "Age of Grace".

See here: Theological Studies - What is Dispensationalism?

If you just mean something regarding seasonality, I don't understand you, please clarify (though if it has anything to do with Christmas being a relabeled Winter Solstice festival and the like, save it -- I know that, I know why, and I see nothing particularly interesting about it.)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

prag·mat·ic (pr g-m t k) adj. 1. Dealing or concerned with facts or actual occurrences; practical.

You claim to be a pragmaticist yet you believe in a completely unpractical story about a man who could walk on water and is the only ticket into heaven.

Maybe you were misinformed on what pragmatic meant?

Hardly. Being pragmatic means that you see things as they are, not how you want them to be. You want to believe a bunch of crazy theories that historical research and documentation have proven to be false, time and time again, so you dismiss the facts that don't align to what you want reality to be. That's called "delusion".

My religious beliefs are, of course, not in conflict with my pragmatism, because my beliefs reflect things as they are (relative to myself, of course,) not what I would like them to be.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

reply to post by The GUT

The universe is conscious though because we are conscious. How exactly am I talking myself in circles? Please elaborate.

How exactly? Your statement that, "The universe is conscious though because we are conscious." You don't see that as circular?? Dude, that's funny. Seriously, I laughed out loud.

From where and by what process did our consciousness stem forth, OP?

I never said that they were completely bereft, I said that they were not as advanced as we are now, meaning they did not understand as much. Progress moves forward with time, not backwards.

Well my Apple products are kinda cool in a gee-whiz, whiz-bang kind o' way but, yawn, I look around this world that is about to explode in more ways than one and "progress" becomes a negligible word.

The imperfection of the world is apparent. Things do degrade. They decay. They are anti-progressive. But, hey, go out and raise your face to the sky, feel the warmth, and worship your god while you still can.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

So you consider stories from 2,000 years ago as how things are? Are is present tense, were is past tense and that is the word you would use to describe a story written 2,000 years ago.

Funny how you say my theories have been proven wrong time and time again when logic and reason have disproven the ability for a man to walk on water or a snake to talk or a bush to talk or a man to be conjured from dust or a woman created from a mans rib or etc. etc. etc. to be completely impossible.

You are the delusional one for believing those stories. Those stories do not apply to the world now because science and reason have disproven them. Pragmaticism is looking at how the world works NOW and applying that yo ones philosophy on the world.

You are completely delusional because you fail to realize that you are NOT pragmatic yet still use the words to describe yourself.
edit on 19-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

i see that you're sort of spearheading his arguement because you are saying it's circular, but i actually agree with enlightened1. you're arguing that the universe is too finely-tuned to be just an accident. but it's not an accident at all. it's had literally infinite time to become what it is, some say by a big bang, others from a deity. but just to believe in the deity is to believe that conciousness can occur from nothing. and if one has the capacity to believe that, why would one not be able to believe that we humans are just a product of this natural conciousness?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The title of the thread should be. "The true story behind the bible According To Me" I love the way you apostates throw around your opinions and call it "The True Story" What a joke. You have received Light, not LIFE.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

In astronomy, axial precession is a gravity-induced, slow and continuous change in the orientation of an astronomical body's rotational axis. In particular, it refers to the gradual shift in the orientation of Earth's axis of rotation, which, like a wobbling top, traces out a pair of cones joined at their apices in a cycle of approximately 26,000 years [1] (called a Great or Platonic Year in astrology). The term "precession" typically refers only to this largest secular motion; other changes in the alignment of Earth's axis — nutation and polar motion — are much smaller in magnitude.
en.wikipedia.org...

It takes 26,000 years for the Earth's north pole to complete the orbit of the "white circle" in the above picture. This "Platonic Year" is divided into 12 sectors we know as the Zodiac. It takes approximately 2000 years for the Earth to move through one sector. This is known as an "Age."

2000 years before Moses, the sun was rising on the horizon in the sector that Taurus the Bull resides in. Slowly, the position of the sun's birth crawled through the image of Taurus and found a "home" in the house of Aries.

The average person wasn't privy to the importance of this change the priests placed on these astronomical happenings, so the people had to be told. Moses and his god forbid the worship of Taurus, the Bull, in his allegorical story of the "Golden Calf. It was the end of an age and the beginning of another, new age.

When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the Ten Commandments, he was very upset to see his people still worshiping a golden bull-calf. He saw that the people were still stuck in the traditions, the way of thinking, of the Age of Taurus the Bull, which was over. Moses was the ‘Messiah’ for the incoming Age of Aries the Ram, and upon the arrival of the new age, everyone must shed the old age. Jews today still blow the Ram's horn, which was a symbol of the Age of Aries.

When Jesus entered the scene, the sun was rising in the sign of Pisces, marking the end of the age of Aries and the beginning of a new age, Pisces, the sign of the fish. No longer was it vogue to sacrifice a ram, as Jesus was the last "Lamb of God.," marking the end of an age. We are now "Fishers of Men."

Each New Age, it seems, has its ‘Messiah’. Jesus or Yeshua, heralded the birthing of the Piscean age; the Age of Pisces the Two Fish. Fish symbolism is abundant in the New Testament. Jesus feeds 5000 people with bread and two fish. He befriends two fishermen, who follow him, and we see the Jesus-fish on the backs of people’s cars. Most of the drivers probably do not know that it is actually a Pagan astrological symbol for the Sun’s Kingdom during the Age of Pisces.
www.newearthstar.com...

Now, 2000 years later, the sun has crept through the sign of Pisces and we are entering a new age, the Age of Aquarius, the "Water Bearer." Miraculously, the Bible predicts this new age!

"There shall be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars." - Jesus Christ, Luke 21:25

Luke 22:10 :
“Behold, when ye are entered into the city, (the new consciousness) there shall a man meet you ‘bearing a pitcher of water’... follow him into the house where he entereth in.”

In summation, the Bible is loaded with astrological symbolism.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join