It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true story behind the bible

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by adjensen

You must have a very short term memory. My response was an answer to your claim that 1st century Jews weren't fluent nor interested in astronomy. I corrected you, as to their following the astrological symbols of the Zodiac.

No, what you claimed was that your interpretation of their position was that they were following said symbols. Hardly the same thing.

Develop a time machine, and you're golden. Barring that, you'll need to make do with reality, and that reality says that the Jews neither believed in, nor followed, your astrology nonsense. Try again.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Well, there is my answer, you are christian and believe that Jesus is our savior. I should have guessed. Well, I did actually.

No wonder you called my ideas ridiculous, you already had your mind made up before entering this thread.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

So do you think it is a coincidence that the Biblical stories line up with the changing of the ages?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

I am myself. What else can I be? I kneel before no god because my 'god' does not require me to kneel.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Well, there is my answer, you are christian and believe that Jesus is our savior. I should have guessed. Well, I did actually.

No wonder you called my ideas ridiculous, you already had your mind made up before entering this thread.

So how does that have any bearing on what you said?

As I pointed out, I take a pragmatic approach, which leaves me open to truth. You have yet to present any, care to try again?

Claiming that your opponent is somehow personally compromised is what is called an "ad hominem" attack and it generally dismissed as worthless. Let's give it another go, please.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by aardvark888

You have obviously not read through the thread because I have stated several times that the bible was a HUGE part of my life for 22 years. I am 23 now, so you take a guess whether I have read the bible or not.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

So do you think it is a coincidence that the Biblical stories line up with the changing of the ages?

You are a Dispensationalist? I've read Scofield, so I'm familiar with his point of view, but I'm not convinced of it. You are welcome to convert me.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Yet you believe in Jesus Christ and believe he is the only way into heaven. That is called a conflict of interest, which is not a logical fallacy.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

You are a Dispensationalist? I've read Scofield, so I'm familiar with his point of view, but I'm not convinced of it. You are welcome to convert me.

Don't know who or what that is, but you're welcome to answer my question. Is it a coincidence that the Biblical stories follow along with the changing of the ages, as per the procession of the equinox?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

prag·mat·ic (pr g-m t k) adj. 1. Dealing or concerned with facts or actual occurrences; practical.

You claim to be a pragmaticist yet you believe in a completely unpractical story about a man who could walk on water and is the only ticket into heaven.

Maybe you were misinformed on what pragmatic meant?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

It seems as though this guy is the master of avoiding questions that make him uncomfortable.

He dresses his responses with big words and feigned profoundness all while avoiding the question at hand.

edit on 19-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I guess I don't see it that way baby. But you're free to see it any way you want baby. I don't discuss outright lies from people who obviously know their lying baby. Anything else you have to add baby ?

Jude 1:9
Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke you.
*shrugs...nope

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ScatterBrain

Could you maybe clarify what your beliefs are?

I don't mean to be nosy but you have posts that seem to support what I say yet you keep posting quotes from the bible.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Could you maybe clarify what your beliefs are? I don't mean to be nosy but you have posts that seem to support what I say yet you keep posting quotes from the bible.

Hi 3NL1GHT3N3D1,

Yes, I won't be able to have a complete discussion this morning but, if you can bear with me, I will do my best to respond throughout the day as I get a chance.

I keep posting quotes from the bible because that's where I get what I need. I didn't trust churches because when I was about 11, and the local preacher came to my house, ya know one of those random door-to-door visits. My dad answered the door with a beer in his hand (he was raised in a orphanage awhile, and he didn't like nuns, I could tell he didn't like this visit) . My dad let the preacher in our foyer and offered him a beer (my dad always offered a beer to a visitor when he was having one, so he was just being cordial). The preacher said his peace, invited us to his church my dad said, "no thanks" and the preacher left.

On Sunday, I decided to go to this church with a friend. While there... this preacher spoke about my dad and some negative things in front of the whole congregation. I was humiliated. I decided that it wasn't for me, right or wrong (didn't feel right), I didn't like what the preacher did.

The next couple years seemed like one bad thing happened after another, and lost trust and faith in my parents (puberty probably). Anyways, I can't even recall exactly what lead me to read the bible, but I did and I found this verse: Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
At that time, it really made sense... I felt every adult has let me down. So, that lead me to read more of course.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
I read that bible, most of it not making a bit of sense but, I kept on reading "believing in magic" at the time, I guess (was still a kid).
Because my first meaningful verse was Psalms 146:3, I didn't begin my path seeking out others to teach me what was already sitting in my lap. So the bible itself was the foundation of my relationship with God.

My bible still seems like magic to me. I could read the same chapter over and over and not get a clear understanding, then after a few years of life experience and it's like the bible unlocks more to me (not sure if I am expressing that so it is easy to understand... but, it's like some more of what I previously didn't understand, now was understandable, do you know what I mean?). It seems to me the bible is ageless. I can understand why it is called the "living word" of God. Today, over 36 years years since that first meaningful verse, I still get new fresh information...anyone tell me that bible is outdated only tells me they don't have the key
....today's issues are in there, the technology that challenges us today is in there, I could go on and on... but I see, I did.
So there ya go, I believe the bible.

Oh and for Randyvs (in case your lurking
)

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

*dances in chair

edit on 19-7-2012 by ScatterBrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Hi,
Sorry to be an ass but, does this go the same way for the Qur'an, and the Torah, and basically all religious texts?

I would imagine so,as the two mainstream religous texts you mention all have Abraham'ic roots as well as christianity. Christianity is kind of a bastardized version of the original hebrew/abrahamic torah, starts of with the romans then through protestant'ism and then the king james bible, alot the newer stuff was designed for control reasons, but can all be traced back to their original abrahamic roots.....

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Same here, but that is part of the process. At first you think you are separate from everything else, but once you reach enlightenment you find that is not the case.

i'm unsure of your context but as an example as a very young boy i realized quickly that when other people or creatures hurt, i hurt too and when they were happy i felt happy also. i knew then at 4 years old that i was connected to all life around me and i didn't have to sin or find enlightenment to figure it out, it was built right in so to speak.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Well then, you are very lucky to have taken that extra step so early, but self-awareness does lead to separatism, there is no doubt in my mind.

ETA: I do believe in duality, I'm just not sure what you mean when you say it leads to separatism. Self-awareness means you are aware of your individualism, which makes you feel separate from others.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Where are those facts you promised? All you did was ask a few questions then disappear.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
i love this post. the idea that this earth is hell just makes perfect sense to me. i've always thought about the idea that maybe if you are a truly good person when you die, your 'eternal life' would just be to have your spirit at rest finally, and hell would be having your spirit doomed to wander the earth forever, as a ghost, spectre etc. what do you think about this? again very insightful post, i look forward to reading more.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by staygreenforever

In my opinion, being sent to Earth because you were a bad person is not very practical. The universe does not take sides whether you are good or bad, you will be reincarnated either way.

It is a possibility that you will be born back onto Earth after this life, but it is a very tiny chance just for the fact that the universe is so huge and there are so many other places in the running for you to go to.

The universe does not judge, we are the only ones that judge.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join