It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighters Ordered to Remove American Flags From Their Trucks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I wonder when the White house flag will be coming down then?

If ever there was a place that fly's the flag but has caused more anti-American feeling than anywhere else....it's that place.

CX.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude

Originally posted by phantomjack

Originally posted by earthdude
The flags, they clutter up everything. We really don't need them on everything. It has nothing to do with nationalism when you get rid of a few. I can see them on international vehicles, but putting them on all the vehicles is just silly.

So that flag, which MILLIONS have died defending, is "Silly?"

Oh my.

Misquoting is the tool of the weak minded. Put flags on your garbage cans for all I care. Just don't plaster them all over our vehicles. Yeah, they look good on international vehicles, but here they just look like redneck flag waiving. My plumber has them. The practice is silly, it degrades the flag.

Ok, I agree with this point of view. There is a proper time and place, yes.

But why is a person waving a flag a "redneck?"

edit on 16-7-2012 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Why are you on here?

This isn't a site for soldier-sniffing sycophants.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Got another source other than a right wing propaganda site?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by phantomjack

Why are you on here?

This isn't a site for soldier-sniffing sycophants.

Says who, you?

Why are you on ATS? Answering a question with a question?

Why are you so angry with life?

Answer my question: Are you an American? You either are, or you aren't

And if you are, why are you still in America if you hate her so much? Surely, there are hundreds of other countries you could live in, no? Then, you wouldn't have to deal with we "soldier-sniffers"

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Who would have guessed that this would turn into an argument? I honestly never would have guessed that there would be people happy about this.

What does an American Flag on a Fire Engine have to do with soldiers and sniffing their sycophants? =)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wow. So much ado about a flag.

I was intrigued by this. Upon looking, I found out that there is US code regarding the flag. www.usflag.org...

Previous to Flag Day, June 14, 1923 there were no federal or state regulations governing display of the United States Flag. It was on this date that the National Flag Code was adopted by the National Flag Conference which was attended by representatives of the Army and Navy which had evolved their own procedures, and some 66 other national groups. This purpose of providing guidance based on the Army and Navy procedures relating to display and associated questions about the U. S. Flag was adopted by all organizations in attendance.

This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not impose penalties for misuse of the United States Flag. That is left to the states and to the federal government for the District of Columbia. Each state has its own flag law.

§175. Position and manner of display
(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

§176. Respect for flag
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

The OP's link doesn't state how the Fire Department was displaying the flag on the vehicle. Perhaps the flag was attatched to the back of the vehicle with no staff. If so, then it appears that it may have been inappropriately displayed.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Can't you see? They are destroying what it means to be an American piece by piece until one day they will just change the entire concept to "evolve".

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pwndnewb

Ado? Haven't you heard that millions of useful idiots defended that cloth?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Get out of my country, if you are anti american then leave america!!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PulsusHilarisCaro

What, you think the country you live in just magically appeared? It defends itself?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

What, you think the country you live in just magically appeared? It defends itself?

Good point. I forgot how important a flag was in global defense of "democracy".

You can smother your aggressors or blind them with wind-blown beauty.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

No one dies for a flag. They die for what the flag represents. The flag represents a country. I am guessing as you are on the internet speaking freely that you live in a country where probably people died for that ability one day.

My point, you called all the millions of people that have died for their "flags" idiots. Truly, you are an idiot if you can't see the relevance and the importance of those deaths.
edit on 7/16/2012 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
"Sensitive to anti-Americans"?

Hold on, I sense some Glenn Beck BS...

The original statement released by the Seminole County FD reads:

Alison Shanabrook, a spokesperson for Seminole Fire Rescue, said the city did receive a complaint that the flag was being "inappropriately displayed."

In a statement released to the media Shanabrook says: "[The] City is trying to be sensitive to the proper display of the American flag," and she pointed out the flag is part of the standard firefighter uniform.

So it wasn't to "appease anti-Americans"... that just Beck adding his BS spin to instill outrage in his easily duped followers.

The truth apparently, was the flags being in appropriately displayed. The uniforms still have the flag present and the flags will be restored according the FD spokepserson;

"My goal today is they say 'yes' the flags are going back on the trucks," Dabney said. "Yes we have a solution."

The person(s) complaining were probably patriotic, and saw the flags displayed incorrectly, and not some anti-American zealot who wanted the flags gone. If that were the case, they'd have the work cut out for them in the month of July.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PulsusHilarisCaro
Excellent! Sick and tired of flag promoting public cretins including cops, umpires and any other public or private group that hasn't yet figured out the relationship between overt and excessive so-called "patritism" and being part of the terror politics problem.

If youre tired of people who are patriotic and are proud of their country, then leave it.......

If I live somewhere , where the majority of the people feel one way, and i feel another, I dont ask them to change it, I either accept the attitude and or I leave

Im sure youre all for people from other countries here who fly their flag in pride......and are proud of their roots

Its a shame we cant do the same in our own country
edit on 16-7-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PulsusHilarisCaro

Ado? Haven't you heard that millions of useful idiots defended that cloth?

Well maybe flap about it. Sometimes I may not use a correct term to get my point across.

And yes, I have friends and family that have served and defended this country of which that "cloth" as you so elegantly put it is a symbol thereof. I appreciate your right to disagree with other posters and voice an opinion (the right defended and made possible through the sacrifices by those you are seeming to call idiots). I don't appreciate your calling my family or friends idiots. It is downright rude. You can make your point without that.

The point that I was attempting to make was that maybe it wasn't "anti-american" sentiment, but a code violation that caused the removal from said fire-engine.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

If youre tired of people who are patriotic and are proud of their country, then leave it.......

Im sure youre all for people from other countries here who fly their flag in pride......and are proud of their root

You realize it's akin to plagiarism when you post redneck slogans from bumper stickers off the back of hillbilly pickup trucks.

Don't you?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I live in Seminole County Florida, and I'm sorry to rain on this thread, but the article is mostly bunk.

Seminole County Fire Department - American Flags on Fire Engines

Posted on: 7/16/2012

Sanford, FL - Seminole County Fire Department has received multiple calls regarding the recent news story aired about the City of Seminole Fire Rescue in Pinellas County not allowing the American flag to be displayed on their fire engines.

Seminole County Fire Department does allow the flag to be displayed on our units.

For current information about their policy, please contact the City of Seminole Fire Rescue located in Pinellas County.

Source

Local coverage has been all over this, the issue was that the flags were in the vehicle's windows, which was against code:

SEMINOLE --

Horns were honking for red, white and blue Sunday, as protesters lined the road near the Seminole Fire Department after being told firefighters had to remove small American flags that were flying from fire engine windows.

The order to remove the flags came from Seminole Fire Chief George Bessler after the department received a complaint from a community member about flag placement.

City officials referred to U.S. Code Title 36 Chapter 10, section 175 that states hanging flags out windows is a violation. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the code states the staff has to be fixed to the chassis or the right fender.

Source

The firefighters are still allowed to put flags on their trucks, they just can't be in the windows where they could potentially obstruct the view and interfere with proper operation of the vehicle.

Seminole county did not give in to "anti-American interests" as the OP's article seems to imply. It was a simple matter of safety.

I expect better from ATS, but I'm not really sure why anymore.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I know quite a few of those "red necks" that seem to exhibit more intelligence than is displayed in your reply....

Nice to see you paint people with such a broad brush, REALLY displays your superiority......

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

And yes, I have friends and family that have served and defended this country of which that "cloth" as you so elegantly put it is a symbol thereof. I appreciate your right to disagree with other posters and voice an opinion (the right defended and made possible through the sacrifices by those you are seeming to call idiots). I don't appreciate your calling my family or friends idiots. It is downright rude. You can make your point without that.

Thanks but I'll make my points using the correct terminology as I please and if it ruffles useful idiot's feathers, then so what. Useful idiots "will always be among us" so sayeth Jesus H. Christ.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join