It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighters Ordered to Remove American Flags From Their Trucks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I am not sure how much I can take.

A Seminole County Fire station has been ordered by city government to remove the American Flag from their trucks.

“There was an [order] from a chief to remove all flags from the apparatus”, one of the protesters explained.

But the order had nothing to do with safety, nor with the quality of the flags being flown. They were not tattered or worn, according to reports.

The City is being "Sensitive" to those who have anti-American feelings.

Awe, poor, poor anti-americans. They now are going to attack the flag, which traditionally has been a staple to fire trucks and fire uniforms across this country since the Fire Service was created by Benjamin Franklin.

The local Fox affiliate, WTVT-TV, got in touch with a spokesperson for Seminole Fire Rescue, who said that the city is trying to be “sensitive” about the proper display of the American flag.

But firefighters said off-camera that it really all began after the city received two complaints about large American flags being flown from the backs of fire trucks.

Seminole Fire Rescue spokesperson Alison Shanabrook admits as much, telling WTVT the city received a complaint about the flag being “inappropriately displayed.”

In a statement released to the media she says: “[The] City is trying to be sensitive to the proper display of the American flag,” and she pointed out the flag is part of the standard firefighter uniform.

After they appeased the complainers, the firefighters said, they were then asked to remove the smaller flags. And now they are seemingly not allowed to fly any American flags.

Here is what I have to say to the complainers: Have a Fire? Call Castro. Maybe he can help!

This just simply goes beyond reason. The inmates ARE running the asylum.

SOURCE

edit on 7/16/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All Caps

edit on 7/16/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
wow this must be exactly what it means and absolutly have no 3rd story to it.

edit on 7/16/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
To the anti- americans that are in America.

LEAVE.

I would have told them to kiss my arse if I was the Chief.

"Come try and take it down yourself".

"SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT"

Why should anyone cares what people with anti american beliefs in America think?

This sounds like some Liberal BS

edit on 16-7-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Excellent! Sick and tired of flag promoting public cretins including cops, umpires and any other public or private group that hasn't yet figured out the relationship between overt and excessive so-called "patritism" and being part of the terror politics problem.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Come to the UK and theres a 100 jobsworths who wont let you fly the flag for fear of causing tension but will allow everyone else to walk around with theirs merrily

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Can’t fly the American flag in America! Really! I mean REALLY! The fire chief needs to grow a pair and tell whom ever is offended to shove it! This is still America. Take it or leave it.

Sorry but this is all getting to be too much. You cannot do anything with out offending someone. If people are so darn offended stay in your made up “perfect” virtual world behind your computer, move to some remote island or learn to deal with the wonderful diversity of people on this planet.

Geesh! I am gonna be grumpy all day over this!

edit on 7/16/2012 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Deny Ignorance, pal.

Your classification of those who don't like to be blinded by excess patriotism as "anti-americans" is a load of rubbish.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have always agreed with the late great George Carlin on the issue of symbols like the flag.

I leave symbols to the symbol minded.

That being said,
I do not see the purpose of denying symbol minded people the right to their symbols unless you are trying to demoralize them or strip them of their sovreignty/ identifying with their country.

Alot of people NEED these symbols.
Alot of people get comfort from these symbols.
Alot of people believe that these symbols make them more patriotic and by displaying them they love their country more than if they didn't display them.
These symbols are very important to alot of people and they have a right to them.
There is no reason, other than the above mentioned, that these symbols need to be denied to them.

I support your right to them and am just as pissed as you are that they have to be taken down.
There can only be one reason that I can see as I have already pointed out.
edit on 16-7-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PulsusHilarisCaro
Excellent! Sick and tired of flag promoting public cretins including cops, umpires and any other public or private group that hasn't yet figured out the relationship between overt and excessive so-called "patritism" and being part of the terror politics problem.

So now Firefighter are "part of the terror politics problem" huh?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
True patriotism needs no symbols. True patriotism does not shove a symbol into other people's faces.

That being said, it's called free speech, and flying a flag falls under it. This is a huge lawsuit in the works, and I definately would sue the city for infringing upon them.

I have nothing against people who want to fly a flag. But I won't believe they're patriots.

I do have something against people who say one group can't be offended but another one can, or when one group threatens another group over flying a flag.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
True patriotism needs no symbols. True patriotism does not shove a symbol into other people's faces.

That being said, it's called free speech, and flying a flag falls under it. This is a huge lawsuit in the works, and I definately would sue the city for infringing upon them.

I have nothing against people who want to fly a flag. But I won't believe they're patriots.

I do have something against people who say one group can't be offended but another one can, or when one group threatens another group over flying a flag.

Well, you know what's coming next, don't you? This doesn't fall under free speech because of separation of Government / Religion.

Or some load of crap like that.

You know it's coming!

And I agree with the concept: Don't like it? Leave?

And how can anyone argue that someone is TOO patriotic? How exactly does that work? Oh yeah -- the UN.

Though, I might as well face it -- America will NEVER be what it used to be. Those days are gone...so I might as well just fall in rank and give up my patriotism. After all, it is the least course of resistance, right? Less stress...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Common Good

Deny Ignorance, pal.

Your classification of those who don't like to be blinded by excess patriotism as "anti-americans" is a load of rubbish.

With all due respect, Sword. Why do YOU hate America? Are you an American? Just curious.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The flags, they clutter up everything. We really don't need them on everything. It has nothing to do with nationalism when you get rid of a few. I can see them on international vehicles, but putting them on all the vehicles is just silly.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
For anyone interested in calling the Fire Department Chief, here is the contact info:

SEMINOLE FIRE RESCUE
9199 113th St
Seminole, FL 33772
(727) 393-8711
Fax: (727) 319-6583

Chief George Bessler – Fire Chief (727) 393-8711x217
[email protected]

Be respectful, but let him know he is wrong.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
The flags, they clutter up everything. We really don't need them on everything. It has nothing to do with nationalism when you get rid of a few. I can see them on international vehicles, but putting them on all the vehicles is just silly.

So that flag, which MILLIONS have died defending, is "Silly?"

Oh my.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
To appease 'anti-americans' you say? The two source articles I read stated that the fire department got two complaints from people who said that two large flags on the back of a firetruck were being 'inappropriately displayed'.

This from the actual situation:

Alison Shanabrook, a spokesperson for Seminole Fire Rescue, said the city did receive a complaint that the flag was being "inappropriately displayed."

In a statement released to the media Shanabrook says: "[The] City is trying to be sensitive to the proper display of the American flag," and she pointed out the flag is part of the standard firefighter uniform.

Where is the 'sensitive to anti-americans part exactly? For all we know the flags truly were 'inappropriately displayed' and the caller was a military veteran who was concerned. I can't in a million years imagine a county government 'appeasing anti-Americans'. I call BS

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
So just who were these 'complaints' from ? Anonymous ? Ah yes, anonymous ! Funny how these anonymous complaints get to change rules and policies. I wonder if the anti-american is actually whoever changed the rules ? Always a good ploy to blame anonymous

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

Originally posted by earthdude

Oh my.

Misquoting is the tool of the weak minded. Put flags on your garbage cans for all I care. Just don't plaster them all over our vehicles. Yeah, they look good on international vehicles, but here they just look like redneck flag waiving. My plumber has them. The practice is silly, it degrades the flag.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

I'd say more like tragically stupid. "Die for a flag", give me a break.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Look JR, that is American fire truck, you can tell the difference by the American flag. There are so many of those foreign fire trucks running around town.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join