It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighters Ordered to Remove American Flags From Their Trucks

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

There is a very specific way that flags are to be displayed on motor vehicles. From the flag code

" The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender"

Additionally if the flags were displayed in such away that they could become soiled or damaged this would also be inappropriate. From the news report it sad that the flags were being flown from windows. This is improper and disrespectful. The fire fighters should of course be able to fly the flag, just do it right.

Source

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
After 9-11 I remember seeing a lot of fire trucks in Milwaukee and Chicago having two large flags affixed to the rear like banner streamers. As the previous poster said, this would be against the flag code. More recently on my trips to the states I've noticed that these have largely been replaced with large decals upon the sides or doors of the trucks instead.

I would ask, instead of "appeasing anti-Americans" was this the case in Florida instead? The United States seems to have very strict rules about the display of their flag, to put this in comparison, in the United Kingdom we have far fewer rules, such as nothing for or against the Jack's burning as protest, it's just not something we revere the way it is in America.

An interesting note I found on Wikipedia, apparently a 1914 Royal Navy Stores Duty Instructions stipulated that worn out Jacks were to be cut into small pieces and used as rags. Such a thing would be absolutely unthinkable and deeply disrespectful in the United States.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

If you think that is bad I work in South Texas as a school teacher and we give the pledge to American flag and then we give the pledge to the Mexican flag in spanish. And teachers have both the Mexican flag and US flag hanging in the classroom. If you ask why they give pledges to two different flags they will say "its to promote culture". However, most of the students stay seated during the US pledge and then proudly rise for the Mexican pledge and recite it with passion and heart. I have the upmost respect for ethnic culture, but I don't understand how you can be so passionate about another nation only to leave and enter a nation you have no respect for.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Good gravy. I was told to check out ATS by a friend who said there were intelligent posters here. My experience so far has revealed very little evidence of that, but hope springs eternal. This thread could have ended on page 2. Froth on.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaladinRoden

If you think that is bad I work in South Texas as a school teacher and we give the pledge to American flag and then we give the pledge to the Mexican flag in spanish. And teachers have both the Mexican flag and US flag hanging in the classroom. If you ask why they give pledges to two different flags they will say "its to promote culture". However, most of the students stay seated during the US pledge and then proudly rise for the Mexican pledge and recite it with passion and heart. I have the upmost respect for ethnic culture, but I don't understand how you can be so passionate about another nation only to leave and enter a nation you have no respect for.

This country is slowly disintegrating before our eyes. This is LUNACY.

Look, my parents are LEGAL immigrants who came to this country in the 1960s and I was born and raised here.
My parents immediately took English speaking classes, assimilated into the culture, and eventually started their own business. And, no, we did not collect welfare at all. My parents lived with relatives and worked odd jobs until they could start their own business.

When I started grade school, I didn't know English since we only spoke our native tongue at home. Nope, no special treatment. I LEARNED THE LANGUAGE! I proudly stood for the pledge. I ended up going to college and earned both a Bachelors and Masters and I have a nice career. All provided through hard work and the opportunities available here in the USA.

I want to be sensitive to today's immigrants but they make it very, very, VERY hard.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Exactly... the OP's source is a huge lie. Whats even worse is that only a small majority of ATSers such as your self have the ability to see that. The rest just take the article at face value and rage away over nothing, and screaming things like, "oh no! the country is slowly disintegrating".

Star for you.
edit on 18-7-2012 by senselessness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
So I received the same form letter email response that another ATS'er received and posted. I am sure that the Fire company received THOUSANDS of emails.

Here is my response:

Well Chief,

I think you are now being dishonest.

I find it very difficult to believe that TWO people all of a sudden decided to dig far deep into the United States Code, just to find a clause that just so happens to pertain to the flag in question and how it was being displayed.

What I think REALLY happened is that you received complaints about the FLAG itself, not about how it was displayed, just like 99% of the people first hearing about it thought.

I think you caved, and realized over the weekend that it was the wrong thing to do after all of the crap hit the fan.

I think you then needed to find a way to cover your butt, so you and your "assistants" dug into the US CODE to find a reason to state that it was all of a sudden a "display" issue, not a Patriotic issue.

Otherwise, why didn’t you rush to the front of the line when this story broke to announce this? Why did you let those protestors waste their time on Sunday? Why did you let this story get so blown out of proportion?

You could have very easily gone over there and explained to them and the news media that you removed the flag based on code and not because of the reason these people were in fact protesting.

I would bet my life, that MY version of the story is what went down.

So thanks for the form letter reply, and lying to cover your &ss

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I am leaning in the same direction as you on this one.....it's a stretch to think someone dug into the code and complained about the flag being on the window instead of on a bracket....who nitpicks like that but a busy body with an agenda?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

I am leaning in the same direction as you on this one.....it's a stretch to think someone dug into the code and complained about the flag being on the window instead of on a bracket....who nitpicks like that but a busy body with an agenda?

Ask yourself the BETTER question:

TWO PEOPLE COMPLAINED ????

No way man. This Chief did exactly what THOUSANDS of people thought he did. Otherwise, he could have very easily "EXTINGUISHED THIS FIRE" by coming forth and making a statement.

He had the power and ability to call the local news channel down there, and get an interview.

Instead, he remained silent, and then TSHTF.

He then needed to make a cover story.

Two people, making the SAME complaint, about the display of the flag on a firetruck makes sense in an Alice In Wonderland world only.

Sorry. He is lying.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join