It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So your single? You can’t possibly be normal.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Or so people would have me believe.

Don’t get me wrong, I have many friends who have paired off that really don’t care about my preferred status. But I get it a lot in this world, that somehow a preference to stay on my own is not normal.

In a nutshell I have been through two failed marriages and three other failed long-term relationships, and put simply, I just can’t make it work out. Whether it be selfishness on my part, or a preference to be alone, I couldn’t say. All I can say is when I am in relationships, I am miserable. When I am single, I’m not. I don’t know how else to explain it, but I can tell you one thing is for certain, what seems a normal choice to me, is completely against the rules according to the mainstream.

Let me give you a few examples.

At a recent school sports day I was one of the few single dads there. They had a race for fun between the kids and their parents. Of course the mothers there were in force as usual, and lining up to race their kids. When it came my turn I swear everyone looked around as I put my hand up as though looking for my kid’s mother.
“Oh. I guess we have a dad here.” What? Of course you do. Is that so hard to believe?

And of course I have the well-meaning work colleagues and friends, who despite on the surface accept my reasons for wanting to be single, constantly seek to try and “hook me up” with other singles. To be honest it’s infuriating.

At a party on the weekend, of course there are your couples, and your singles. Most of the people there that are single, are like me. Just not interested. Of course one of my work colleagues just has to bring a single friend along, and spend the next half hour trying to essentially slam us together, to see if we stick. Even I could see she was about as into that idea as I was. Thankfully my colleague eventually gave up. Later on, just for the hell of it I talked to her, and she admitted the same as what I was thinking. That it was obvious that we were two singles, and of course everyone just thought that we should hook up just because of that. We did actually get along quite well, but she had the same idea as me. Why is it that people who are already coupled seem to think that people who are single are forever desparately seeking a partner?

I’m quite happy being single. I have enough to do with a family and work, and to be honest don’t really want to put myself or another person through a relationship again. The bottom line is I have enough single friends that if I need a “date,” I can ask one of them and vice versa.

Does anyone else share this lack of need to be partnered up? Or am I just, as my friends imply, not normal?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Your single status to your coupled friends who try to hook you up with other singles represents doubts they have about their own relationship status. They see you as you are and then begin to question there lives, for others you appearing to be happy in your single state makes them angry as they beleive you should be as miserable as they are.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Ok did i just slip into an alternate reality? I remember reading a post exactly like this like a month or three ago. Like, exactly word for word. Wtf???

Anyway i hear ya. im single too, maybe permanently. I just dont really get along well with earth women. And im just fine single....but to hell with what anyone thinks about me. I dont care!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
It goes like this.

Ego

What I am like is what everyone else should be like.

What I think should be what everyone else thinks.

What my country does is what every country should be.

My religion is the right one. My sexual preference is the right one. My weight is right for everyone so obviously she's too skinny/fat/tall/short/ugly.

The list is of course endless.

The majority of the human race can not celebrate the differences in others. The reason is upbringing / education.

P

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

It was uncanny reading your post. I understand completely, have had many failed relationships (haven't been married though). I'm much happier without a "doppelgänger". I don't have much to add besides that. Thanks for the post, it was a good read to start my day

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

In some regards, yes. I have friends who are happily married though, yet they just seem to subconciously throw women they know at me all the time. Maybe it's the opposite, that they are thinking I'm miserable not being like them.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Well unless it is an alternate reality... I just plucked it from my warped mind about 1/2 hour ago. No copying and pasting here...

The question is are you happy being single? Do you get friends and people frowning on you for your preferred state?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
It goes like this.

Ego

What I am like is what everyone else should be like.

What I think should be what everyone else thinks.

What my country does is what every country should be.

My religion is the right one. My sexual preference is the right one. My weight is right for everyone so obviously she's too skinny/fat/tall/short/ugly.
P

Now that I can agree to. I just would have thought as friends, they would let it be. I have been single going on four years now, and I haven't exactly been inobvious about wanting to stay single.

edit on 8-7-2012 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2012 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

your coupled friends want you to be coupled too for one simple reason... misery likes company

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Burnittotheground

You're welcome. Glad to see I'm not the only single wannabe nut in the world.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

I asked much the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't worry about what others think. We may be the sane ones.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

I'd say, the "nuts" are the ones getting married as high schools ending, or to the first person who gives them an orgasm

No offense to the high school sweethearts out in cyber space

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Perhaps you could also consider that they are actively helping the other friends, (the ones they throw at you)

They don't know too many nice single guys and well their other friends are begging for help to find Mr right.

There are nice ways to deal with it that gets you off the hook. Something like "Oh, yea high! Listen, I'm not into partners and couples. I like being single. Always up for a bit of fun if your hanging out there!"

9/10 will run away screaming.

1/10 will take you up on the offer.

Blunt works. (assuming you don't want a relationship)

P

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
on a more serious note. good for you for not following what society says is normal. marriage seems like a contract. if you are in love you dont need the government or religion to tell you its valid. ive never seen what i would call a good marriage in my family or friends, save my grandparents who are really old school. i do feel like people in marriages want their friends to be coupled too so they have more in common. single you are free. coupled you have new responsiblities. its like a dog who is tied to his dog house watching his friend run around the yard free. jealousy is all too common in this corrupt system. everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the other side. so stay single! dont give in if thats what you want to do.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
reply to post by phroziac

Well unless it is an alternate reality... I just plucked it from my warped mind about 1/2 hour ago. No copying and pasting here...

The question is are you happy being single? Do you get friends and people frowning on you for your preferred state?

Ha, the other thread talked about a camping trip though, i think it legitimately was someone else. Im not sure id say im happy alone, but its better than dating these earth women. Yes people and friends frown on me for it. Im a nice independant guy and girls dont want me. Last girl i dated (for a year) just used me for my money and dixk. To hell with that

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I did do a search, but oddly nothing really came up.

This was more of a personal story, I was even debating whether to put it in rants.

But I do see where you are coming from, single is much simpler hey?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Burnittotheground

Not always. I've known people who meet the right person right off the bat, but it is pretty rare these days.

With the great social divide of Failbook and Twitter gaining momentum though, I wouldn't be surprised if two people couldn't hold a conversation unless they were both in front of a computer screen.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I never actually considered the other side of the fence. Although throwing someone at me may not actually reduce their misery...

Fair point, although my stance is pretty clear, even to my friends.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CharonIncarnate

Tried it. Twice in fact. Then tried it without the marriage side. Didn't work out.

I mean, you only stick your hand into a fire once right?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burnittotheground

I'd say, the "nuts" are the ones getting married as high schools ending, or to the first person who gives them an orgasm

No offense to the high school sweethearts out in cyber space

Omg those people are nuts. Know a bunch of em. I have no plans to ever get married at all. Sometimes i wondee if maybe i could find a girl from my planet on ats thats cool. Haha. i know a cool girl from my planet in real life but shes not attracted to me.
edit on 8-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join