It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS front page ?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I would be interested to see where these are after a week or so.

I know personally when I first saw the design change I clicked on a random thread almost immediately to see if there was something wrong with the rest of the site, so that could account for some of the improved numbers. Even among first time users, I imagine someone probably clicked a thread just to see what another page of the site looked like.

Until I actually looked for a thread discussing this I figured there was just some kind of maintenance going on and everything would be normal in a day or so. It's so strange seeing it, since it doesn't match any of the other sections, that I think there's probably a good chance that others are thinking the same thing.

Should we expect to see similar changes being made to the top topics / new topics sections? How would this be implemented elsewhere on the site?
edit on 7-7-2012 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

How about, instead of it sucks, you suggest something that you think is better.

Otherwise, dont let the door hit you on the ass when you leave.

I think everyone IS suggesting something that is better........THE OLD LAYOUT!

I for one, can't stand the new page....It's a confusing and disorganized mess, Not to mention it simply looks ugly.

I'm not against change by any means....A new layout might be nice every now and then....but theres a difference between 'change' and 'disaster'. This new layout is just a disaster....It's design looks amateurish and repulsive. If I was a new user I'm quite certain I'd probably not be that tempted to join if that page was the first thing I saw.

Well said-17% of users are on a tablet or android eh? What about the 83% who are not??? Ridiculous idea to change it especially if that is the alleged "reason".

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

What a bunch of whinging children with entitlement issues.

Seriously, some of you are acting like it's the end of the bloody world or something that SO changed the front page. WHOOPDY BLOODY DOO. Get over it.

The reasons have been clearly explained and they do not affect you in any major way. If you do not like the way the front page looks - here's a novel thought -

DON'T USE IT.

edit on 7/7/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
well the new page isnt very attractive,. but plain and purposeful
I will say,. it is about time to get rid of the Dude that made all the videos and likes
to shove his hands in the camera..lol,. that got kinda old,.
Liked Johnnyanonymous and his ATS news much better
edit on 7-7-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

As contributing members to this website, we have a right to voice our opinions on changes made to the site. Utilising that right does not make members "winging children with entitlement issues" as you put it. I'm sure the owner of the website welcomes constructive criticism when it is due. It is due for this change in the opinion of myself and many other members. If you do not like to see the views of membership expressed in a thread, then here is an idea for you: don't read or take part in the said thread!

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I'm surprised that a small amount of people used the home page, I always use it, I guess I just like to read the current new topic of the day rather than sticking with just one and going directly back to that. But I definitely can't argue with the fact that I never clicked anything beyond the top 2 articles, this new design (while I still find visually "meh") may make me click on other topics too since they're more obvious.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Ah the dissent.

Happens everytime ATS makes a change to anything. You won't make happy 100% of all users, but for those that understand these changes are required as the boss man said, in order to keep ATS competitive and innovative in the internet market.

Now if after a month you still don't like the design, then feel free to complain, but don't just do so after the first 48 hours without even giving it a try.

And numbers don't lie, so as SO pointed out, the data so far, seems to show that this is a positive change.

Personally I think it's great, I'm looking forward to how the rest of the re-design will look like as it comes to fruition.

In the meantime folks, really is this going to keep you from visiting ATS as much or as little as you do already?

If the answer is no, then why complain?

ETA: Contstructive criticism is one thing, very much appreciated and needed from the membership, but the senseless I hate it posts that add nothing other than voicing your dissent for a change you haven't given a chance to yet, is silly.

~Tenth
edit on 7/7/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

While yes, there are a few posts in this thread that can be classified as constructive criticism, the majority are saying things like "That sucks" and "Change it back NOW". This is NOT constructive criticism mate, it is nonsense.

I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of crying babies.

Do you know how off-putting it is to spend hours slaving over web code only to have some ignoramus with entitlement issues scream about how bad it is and how they could do a better job blindfolded? I do, and I'm damn sure SO feels the same way too.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
nvm.
edit on 7/7/2012 by Kryties because: Hater's gonna hate.....so nvm.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
As I said before I'm not a huge fan of the change, however, I also run a website and I understand the importance of bounce rate, loading times, and dare I say it...ad monetization (don't hate me!).

That being said, certain homepages do work better than others in this respect, as was shown by SO's 24 hr stats.

The problem is reconciling what works with what looks good.
I happen to think that making the text on the bottom of each topic box more noticeable would help a lot. I didn't even know it was there until a member pointed it out. Knowing what category the topic belongs to, along with the flags and replies, is extremely important to me and was one of the main things that I looked for on the homepage.

Overall I think you guys can do minor tweeks that would make the aesthetics more enjoyable while maintaining the bounce, load, and ad goals that you're aiming for.
edit on 7-7-2012 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Dark Ghost

While yes, there are a few posts in this thread that can be classified as constructive criticism, the majority are saying things like "That sucks" and "Change it back NOW". This is NOT constructive criticism mate, it is nonsense.

I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of crying babies.

Do you know how off-putting it is to spend hours slaving over web code only to have some ignoramus with entitlement issues scream about how bad it is and how they could do a better job blindfolded? I do, and I'm damn sure SO feels the same way too.

Are you honestly saying that you prefer the new homepage? Please tell

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BeHonest1

Seriously?

Click the dropdown menu under my avatar, select "Posts in thread" and see what I said for yourself, multiple times.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I for one like the new front page. Yes, it looks different, but so what! It's not the end of the world...and if you want to read or indeed rant about the end of the world, then you came to the right place.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

In other words, keep the advertisers happy, not your userbase.

Advertisers wanted a "better looking" ATS (in their opinion) so ATS had to change.

Coming close?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje

In other words, keep the advertisers happy, not your userbase.

Advertisers wanted a "better looking" ATS (in their opinion) so ATS had to change.

Coming close?

Did you read SO's posts in the thread?

The internet is evolving, ATS cannot remain static as it is, it must advance with the times. Coding languages are changing, user input and access methods are changing.

This is both for the bottom line of the website, as well as for user functionality. We see at an increasing rate that moer and more people are accessing the internet via mobile devices, 20% may not seem like a lot, but it is on a website that generates millions of hits as day.

It's not about ATS being better, "looking" it's about ATS being more functional and opening the door to a larger user base.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Coming close?

In my posts, I've clearly stated otherwise.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Yes i did read it and this is what i read between the lines, so to speak.

ETA:

And yes i did read the entire thread.. as i always do with any thread im involved in.

Bit childish response here, especially coming from the site owner.
edit on 7/7/12 by Romekje because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yes i did read it and this is what i read between the lines, so to speak.

Why do you not believe what is stated at face value?

I understand this is a conspiracy website, but I doubt the owners of ATS are out to piss off 80% of the membership that come here daily in order to make advertisers happy.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Bit childish response here, especially coming from the site owner

Childish baseless assumptions will sometimes receive sarcastic responses.

"Between the lines" -- please.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I'm entitled to my own opinion and interpetation.. ain't i?

At least i don't resort to GLP-like pic-posts.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join