It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS front page ?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
HORRIBLE. Like a 6 year old decided to replicate a windows phone.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

You're scared of making comments to the powers that be?

No, I try not to insult the people I am trying to converse with. It is one thing to comment it is another to be insulting the person.

If you look through my post history you will fnd me questioning the ATS authorities all of the time. In my ealrier days on ATS I was guilty of throwing out a little smirking insult here and there, but i like to think that I matured a little and learned a few things.

If you do not see a problem with it then mabe you have a little maturing to do yourself. That is just a little observation that I have made.

Now I will stop commenting on this because it is a little off topic from the thread at hand.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KnightFire

Errr...
The Ads are tailored to your previous surfing habits...
Awkward?

@SkepticOverlord

If the lean/drive is towards marketing for tablet users, you realise that typing on those things is slow and clunky. So, your new target audience will be nothing more than readers rather than contributers. I think that's a step away from producing content purely to make more coin from advertisers.
Can we not have the standard old page, with a button at the top for Tablet/Phone users that launches this interface for them??? Please???? I'll writen Vogon poetry just for you!
edit on 7-7-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
Now since 2010 upgrade ... SO got an Ipad tablet and LOVES it!

Actually, I also have a Samsung, Fire, and Asus tablet. The Samsung rocks.

Note skins = flash …

Ad skins don't use Flash. They are static images in a layer "behind" the site content.

This IS about ad revenue and ATS future and the future of TAN [which owns and runs ATS].

"Skins" are some of the highest-paying ads for websites right now. If we're phasing out skins in favor of responsive design, how does that jive with your position?

Steve Jobs called it "Cloud Computing" and it is just a junk jargon term for a mainframe with wifi connected dumb terminals.

Way off on this one. There are several uses for the various "cloud" frameworks, the most important a rapidly elastic application stack for web sites and mobile apps.

The tablets etc will have LESS onboard functionality.

Microsoft Surface? Just as much functionality as a desktop.

similar to how youtube is dropping support for IE7 users

Good. IE7 has no place in the modern web -- no support for the current standards.

move to a tablet using java based apps

Only native apps on Android are Java based. We're sticking with open standards, not native apps.

avoid flash like the plague

YES! Absolutely. Even Adobe admits the future is not with Flash.

SO .. would you please disclose the target demographic of the future that you are aiming this at?

People with a desire to learn more about what's going on in the world, no matter what device they're using.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Giving my honest opinion, don't really care, just going to Recent Posts. That's what matters to me, and probably most others.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Steve Jobs called it "Cloud Computing" and it is just a junk jargon term for a mainframe with wifi connected dumb terminals.

Way off on this one. There are several uses for the various "cloud" frameworks, the most important a rapidly elastic application stack for web sites and mobile apps.

This is absolutely in-correct as well, in that "the cloud" generally refers to the network devices between the routers and/or switches. Not the equipment on-site behind the routers et.all.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Explanation: Thanks for clearing that all up!

Personal Disclosure: Anything I claimed and that SO pointed out that I got wrong were of course due to my own biases. I apologize unreservedly for letting those biases interfere or imply anything at all.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Another 2 video ads playing at the same time in the front page

I hate video ads .. the sound are really annoying
need to always watch the sound of my speakers
and it take more bandwith to load up
2 at the same time is the cherry on the cupcake

are the video ads bringing more credits ?
i need a good reason to try tolerating them

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

If you do not see a problem with it then mabe you have a little maturing to do yourself. That is just a little observation that I have made.

Being over twice your age, I will let it go.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Nobody else uses A&E? Really? COME ON.....lol

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I like it .. well wait .. I like the way it's going :-)

Suggestions:
1. Smaller Font size: with the huge box headings, you're only getting about 5 threads above the fold on a 22" screen. Lots of valuable real estate lost. Oversized headings/fonts also scream "read me now dangit", instead of inviting to read & get involved. Comes across as more "in your face" than "welcoming".
2. Not too sure about all the box colors. Don't think you really need them, they chunk up the page.
3. Uneven box sizes also throw off the reading eye & make the page look disjointed.

I think the same idea, but with a plain background, or light box outlines, would look much cleaner & give it a more polished & professional (but not stuffy) appearance.

And/but major kudos for continuing to move the site forward! Thanks for letting me throw in my .02.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Explanation: Thanks for clearing that all up!

Personal Disclosure: Anything I claimed and that SO pointed out that I got wrong were of course due to my own biases. I apologize unreservedly for letting those biases interfere or imply anything at all.

I know this is off topic and I apologise, and the main page still sucks (on topic), but what is this need for people to kiss this SO ass??? I don't get it. Can someone please explain before I get banned???

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

SO? Any thoughts.?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yosemite Sam
This is absolutely in-correct as well, in that "the cloud" generally refers to the network devices between the routers and/or switches. Not the equipment on-site behind the routers et.all.

Not sure where you're getting that.

The application framework behind Google search is "in the cloud" for example.

Instagram's back-end application is in the Amazon cloud.

Apple's iCloud is file storage, in the "cloud."

Generally, it refers to a cluster of virtualized servers running in a massive server farm at one or more locations.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Its aesthetically pleasing and when it comes to change people get used to it. I think its nice but still a little confusing for me. What do you think of having the option to show selected forums only client side only. If this has already been implemented, my bad.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Generally, it refers to a cluster of virtualized servers running in a massive server farm at one or more locations.

Conceptually this is correct, however technically this is the vision that is sold to customers by the telcos. It is really symantics I suppose. As a network engineer and a circuit designer, the truth is the cloud is POP to POP. Your applications and everything else behind your on-site router(s) are irrelevant. In the cloud, all that matters is data transport. QOS and such. Roughly 15 miliseconds from coast to coast. Where you ingress the OC192 and where you egress are all we care about as well as any tail circuits (with 99.99999 uptime). Assuming you don't have managed service. Then we do get involved beyond your on-site router.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
SO is probably far from finish .. need to give the man a chance

he was swarmed with negative reply like never before
for just testing a new front page design

people went a bit harsh to fast (emoticonshakinghead)
edit on 7/6/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Actually, he didn't "just" test a new design. As far as I know, nobody was told about it. Nobody was given a pop-up message telling us what happened to explain the change, once it was done.

When other websites I've used make major changes to the layout, they immediately offer a tour of the changes, or at least something official to let people know what's changed, and maybe why.

We, got the changes, along with confusion because it wasn't pointed out that there was a thread available to discuss it.

Now, that is my perspective. If we could have the option to have a link to use the old interface, that would be great. What trouble would that cause? Choose it if you like it. Keep the new if you don't. Or maybe the goal was to crowd as many topics on the front page because people were only mostly combing through the front page and not recent topics or the achieves? I don't know, but I know what would please both those who like the old style and those who like the new style, and I believe it's easy to implement code wise.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
It will take some real getting used to.
When I first saw it I thought my computer had shifted into safe mode which made no sense.

It's not like I use the front page all that much, but that could be because the old version wasn't useful to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join