It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthcare Ruling: Individual Mandate Ruled CONSTITUTIONAL, entire law upheld.

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by travisirius
reply to post by marg6043

You get a paycheck? Then you should have health insurance from your employer!
This place is funny, how many people here think if you have health insurance think they will be taxed?
Well, here's your sign.

If everyone is not taxed the same, then it is a "poll" tax or a capitation tax.

Wasn't there a lot said about poll taxes during the Jim Crow era?

If you're going to be more equal than me, and thereby escape this tax, we're going to have some problems.

link   
Just thought of this, sorry if already been asked, but what about illegal immigrants? If they don't file federal income taxes, how would the IRS know they don't have insurance so they can penalize them?

link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Char-Lee

In other words those who cannot afford the insurance like my family are the ones who will now be punished for being poor in the first place.

If you can't afford it...you will be given assistance.

If you truly make that low of income where you can't afford insurance...this will not affect you.
yes, don't worry. other people will pay for it for you.........it won't affect you, just others.

Well personally we have never taken a cent of assistance from others and don't plan to start. Would rather starve or die of illness myself.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Yeah...the States don't have the power trump Federal Law...the SCOTUS decision from earlier this week confirmed that.

What you just posted is political theater...they know they have no authority to do anything about it.

I understand you and others don't like this decision...but at least show some honesty and respect to the process. States aren't going to "opt out", they can't. This doesn't have to be passed again as a tax, it has already been passed. This didn't get Romney a flood of new voters, opponents of Obamacare were already Romney supporters. And no...this isn't going to start the next Revolution.

Sometimes it is better to just take the high road and admit that your views were incorrect.

link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Thank you.
That is the way that I was seeing it.
I concur with your opinion on clear and unambiguous wording of legislation.

link   

This isn't a "victory" for anyone in the United States nor either political party. It's a non-decision. Here's why...

Everybody was focused on the "mandate" question. Through semantics SCOTUS found a way to justify it as a "tax"...despite the fact that it WASN'T written into law as a tax. However...regardless of how anyone feels about the "mandate" question...it's going to prove largely irrelevant given that the law simply CANNOT be implemented as it was intended. Namely to provide the uninsured and flat-broke with access to medical insurance and care.
The mandatory expansion of state Medicaid services was shot down. So...here's what you are left with:

1. You cannot be "forced" to purchase health insurance.
2. But you can be "taxed" and/or "penalized" for NOT having health insurance.
3. For anybody who simply cannot afford health insurance you are not only SOL at the doctor's office...you will know get hammered an extra $2,000-ish on your Federal Income taxes because you are too poor to afford insurance...UNLESS...your state just voluntarily chooses to expand Medicaid spending, access, and coverage all on it's own. Good luck with that.

What we know have is a "healthcare reform bill" that DOESN'T extend coverage to those who need it most whilst simultaneously punishing them for not being wealthier.

I suppose the the provisions concerning no more "pre-existing" conditions, extending coverage to age 26 for children, and a few other controls on the run-away insurance industry are laudable...but what we really have here is an outright DISASTER.

I'm really glad the partisan pissing matches have resulted in upholding the most time-honored of American traditions....screwing the poor.

Thanks Republicans & Democrats. I will never vote for another one of either of your political crime syndicates again.

link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

ETA
Obama can sue each and every state if he wants. To do that he'll have to ignore everything else he's supposed to be doing.

Well, he probably would!

..lets make sure he is not in office to hold the position to do so. Vote him out!

edit on 28-6-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
..... and what happens if you decide you dont want to pay the mandate..err, sorry..tax? jailtime buddy.....

that said what about 'alternative medicine'? not covered now..sooo..gunna have to pay the insurance company AND pay out of pocket for your 'alternative healthcare'

i wonder what they will mandate next??

Don't pay for medical insurance and don't pay the fine and you will go to jail. Then you get free medical care. Wait...what?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I really don't see how auto insurance can be mandated but to do so with health care is unconstitutional? Uninsured citizens cost the industry billions and raise the health care costs for the rest of us. If one is unconstitutional shouldn't the other also be unconstitutional?

Furthermore I'm disgusted that nine individuals decide the entire direction of our country.

ETA: CNN: Court may uphold the mandate through a tax clause....
edit on 6/28/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

You pay your car insurance for the dagames YOU may inflict on others... not to cover the insurance of other people...

Not to mention the ruling to FORCE each person to pay for abortion...
Even if it is just $1 dollar it goes against my principles and morals, and there are millions of people who feel the same way I do...

The healthcare insurance is about forcing people to pay for other people's insurance, and that should be UnConstitutional, and immoral...

edit on 28-6-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

there are always people who fall through the cracks, I know this for a fact, since I am one of them!! can't get blood out of a stone, dear, and if you try, well, you will find people ensuring that they can make less money so they can get the help and stay out of jail!!!

or be in jail, and that costs a heck of alot more than just letting them be and go about thier lives.

link   
reply to post by butcherguy

How many people think a question is a statement?
Does your job carry your health insurance? Most people have this. Tax is only those with no health insurance.
Do you understand that or do you need a sign?

link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Even simpler.

McDonalds will have to pay more for their employees.

Ergo; the cost of a hamburger will increase.

Now multiply this by thousands across the country.

The death of America.

Dear Bunny,

You will need to find another example the simple minded can understand. McDonald's has been exempted from this law/tax.

Source

".... so workers with such plans wouldn't lose coverage from employers who might choose instead to drop health insurance altogether.

Without waivers, companies would have had to provide a minimum of $750,000 in coverage next year, increasing to $1.25 million in 2012, $2 million in 2013 and unlimited in 2014."

It is only small business and the middle class they are seeking to destroy.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I see it as rewording the mandate so more legislation have to be passed to redefine the role of the tax that will be enforced by the IRS, still I agree with what I heard this morning on the radio news site is not a win as many think it is when it comes to the law and how will be enforced.

And yes, never before my husband has been faced with no having a job, after working for over 30 years first as a marine then for the government, the Obama administration is truth of their word they are screwing with peoples livelihood in order to scratch funds and move them from one source to the other.

So far my husband learned today that the job layoff coming from the government is bigger than many were expecting.

But you don't see this in the news, Obama job creation is a joke when you unemployment hits close to home.

We are still trying to figure out what is happening even when I knew it was coming after the Obama decision to cut the military budget, but the funny thing is that they have no problem raising the health cost and drug prescription cost within the military retirees, is just insane

link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
If they don't file federal income taxes, how would the IRS know they don't have insurance
so they can penalize them?

The IRS wont! And the illegals will just keep going to the ER room for everything,
which will continue to break the back of the system.

Of course...maybe this is intentional.

CHAOS....a preferred Saul Alinsky method.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by jibeho

Yeah...the States don't have the power trump Federal Law...the SCOTUS decision from earlier this week confirmed that.

What you just posted is political theater...they know they have no authority to do anything about it.

I understand you and others don't like this decision...but at least show some honesty and respect to the process. States aren't going to "opt out", they can't. This doesn't have to be passed again as a tax, it has already been passed. This didn't get Romney a flood of new voters, opponents of Obamacare were already Romney supporters. And no...this isn't going to start the next Revolution.

Sometimes it is better to just take the high road and admit that your views were incorrect.

Actually...you're sort of incorrect on that. They can't "opt out" in THEORY...but SCOTUS has allowed them to "opt-out" for those who need it the most...poor people.

Without mandatory expansion of Medicaid those who are now required to buy health insurance but can't afford it will not only still not have medical care...THEY'LL HAVE TO $2000-ISH EXTRA on their Federal Income Taxes for the "privilege" of not having Medical Care.

Only in the United States could such a well-intentioned idea as healing the sick be warped around into a double-screwing for those least empowered in society.

I'm a huge supporter of the IDEA of full-blown, single-payer socialized medicine...but this has been a disaster so monumental it could only have been brought to you by Democrats and Republicans and their endless bickering over whose completely unattainable utopia is the best.

link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I'll buy you a beer today! You buy in November. Until then, I need to head over to the Eric Holder threads. I understand that a Bipartisan House has voted to hold him in contempt!!

Cheers!!

link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by nenothtu

They're already taxing us to death. the first Revolution was started over a far less pervasive and onerous "tax".

OMG I been thinking that for months,

If people knew what the actual "tax" amount was relative to the Stamp Act, they'd be greasing their rifles up right now.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
If they don't file federal income taxes, how would the IRS know they don't have insurance
so they can penalize them?

The IRS wont! And the illegals will just keep going to the ER room for everything,
which will continue to break the back of the system.

Of course...maybe this is intentional.

CHAOS....a preferred Saul Alinsky method.

Yep, right out of the book.
I thought the same thing.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I know this has been said before but I must say it again.

United States citizens are now being forced to buy insurance from companies that are for profit.

How in the world is that in "our" best interests.

For the love of God just tax everyone across the board and give us 100 percent free healthcare.
Now we all will have "insurance" which doesn't cover everything.

Who here loves insurance companies?

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join