It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New site tells what you -- and everyone else -- is doing - Scary Stuff

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

So they pick a hundred (or so) little updates amongst millions of people with billions of status updates and that's supposed to scare people?

You've got more chance of being hit by lightning, while winning the lottery, as you have being featured on there.

It's a pointless site that actually means very little.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
However, this site is going out of it's way to make people look stupid to a wide scale audience, and potentially cause lost jobs, relationships, etc that might not otherwise have happened.

edit on 27-6-2012 by Zarniwoop because: woops

Please tell me how this site is responsible for any of this? :/ It's not, it's a really simple script that shows results that match specific keywords. You can search twitter for drug related terms, or boss-hating terms, and you will find the exact same thing, so I have no idea why you believe this site is responsible for anything other than providing search results that are freely available anyway if someone would go through the trouble, not that there is much to it.

People need to learn that you either post things online for others to read, or just not post it at all. I don't feel the need to post on twitter or facebook what I'm going to eat tonight or how I hate my boss, it's nobody's business but mine, and if someone else still feels compelled to share this information, then it's THEIR choice.

I'm getting pretty sick of this entire made up social-media-problems garbage, there is no problem except for the people who see problems everywhere. Don't like the fact that people can read everything you post? Then why the f*ck are you posting it in the first place...

You don't go posting pictures on 4chan not expecting people to spread them either, do you now.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I shall take a quote from that website... ahem

David F. I don't really hate my boss, my new phone number isn't 020 7230 1212, and I'm not hungover or smoking cannabis. I do however want to hit the headlines on all four columns on this website.

David F.
Legend!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I really don't understand what the problem is with this.

I do stupid stuff all the time, and didn't have a problem posting it on facebook or having the world know about it.

Seriously, what's the big deal? I'm not going to work at a place that is concerned with me getting drunk and whizzing in public. I'm not afraid to let my family know that I'm an imperfect human being....what of this?

I did, however, disconnect my facebook account for good a few months ago. I got sick of looking at all the lame comments people were posting, and realized many of my "friends" probably thought the same of what I posted. It just got to be a boring place that sucked up a small chunk of my time.

How am I an idiot for not being ashamed of being an imperfect human being?

There must be something I'm missing here...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I don't want or need to use an enhanced privacy setting. I only use Facebook and other social media to promote my art and music. I wouldn't post anything about "my boss" or "being high / drunk" anywhere online anyway; that's just retarded.

"I'm not saying we should go out and kill all the stupid people. I am just saying lets remove all the warning labels, and let the problem sort itself out."
edit on 27-6-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is why everything I have is set to "friends only" if i could go farther than that i would. So glad i don't post anymore. I just look at ppl i know.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
They don't know what I'm doing. Facebook has my location, but aside from that, my use of it is almost entirely read-only. I don't use Twitter virtually at all, either, because I will not forgive Twitter for usurping IRC.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I dont even use Twitter. Fakebook is it. I don't allow my location either but i do use an Android phone. Rooted and carrier IQ removed of course but who knows what is still there.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Its not just facebook its every thing

Every link you click on, every image, every video,every thing you type ect...
They are making a profile on you for various different reasons. The main goal is "national security" but not for us from us. Are you a potential terrorist, your on this site so you are. They will use these profiles to market to you. They will make statistics and graph out area's based on cutler from the information you chose to click on. Do you like blonds, red heads, brunets? I am sure the Government knows.

In the near feature imagine adds that fallow you based on who you are threw out the city's.They know exactly who you are and if they need to how to manipulate you based off of your personality.
edit on 27-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
That is why you had better be DAMNED sure if you want to keep things private you don't put them online... ever. We all knew (well, those of us with some common sense knew) this was coming, and I still find it baffling that people gripe so much about their 'privacy' rights while putting all of their dirty laundry online for the world to see.

Oh well, it's always fun to watch society eat itself due to its own stupidity.

While that may be true for the internet what would you say if it were your phone message being posted? Lets not forget that ALL conversations are being recorded by the CIA now.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Originally posted by SpearMint
This is an excellent idea, should make people realize why they need privacy settings.

Privacy settings does not help much against this problem at all. The only way to protect yourself is to not write personal stuff on the internet in first place.
Even if you delete your facebook account the data will still be stored somewhere for a government agency to collect.

Funny how in 90s people had more clue about privacy issues than today....
edit on 27-6-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

Privacy settings on Facebook work.Mine is completely hidden from public view.I know it is,because I've searched for it and it does not show up at all in any searches.You just have to know how to use the settings.You can't even find mine by using my email,I have it set that no one can search for me.But I'm not one of those that posts anything personal and I have very few photos on there.I mostly use it to stay in touch with family since they're up North and I'm down south.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
They were talking on the news about something I think is related - it has to do with mug shots?
They say they are putting ALL mug shots up on some website, and if you are innocent, you have to pay them thousands to take them down.

Now I am paranoid about my photo - period. In my case, I think it would be a religious thing, because it has to do with my deep seated personal beliefs, even if I don't have a bible that says "Thou shalt not put thou photo for strangers and people that hate you to get"
I have never been arrested, but I did have someone take my photo on the street last week - and the first thing I thought was, is that person going to put MY image IN a mug shot and post it to some ruin your reputation if you don't pay site? The guy swore he wasn't taking a picture of me - he said some bullcrap about it was muggy one city over and was trying to show his friend the fine weather we were having, but he wouldn't let me SEE it.

OK, then, I noticed him and another woman taking pictures of other people. I stopped the lady and said "HEY! You should ASK him if it is ok to take his picture. He was like, why do you want to take my picture? And she said we don't have people like you in Florida." He shrugged and didn't fuss. I'd have wanted to POP her for insulting me and taking my photo like that.

So why are people running around flea markets taking pictures? What's up with that?

I do not like my photo to be taken. I am really quite a magickal thinker, and I do not like people having access to my photo. You won't find it online - if you do, it's not really me, it's someone else, usually not even the right race or sex. I detest having my driver's license picture taken. I have to and I try to look as unlike me as I can that day even if it involves blue eye shadow.

My family does not have photos of me. I'll keep the power of my image intact on my body thank you.

Oh and I checked with a relative, and it wasn't muggy at all when he said it was that day. He was lying.

edit on 27-6-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

Just a guess here Hadrianna, but maybe the guy thought you looked good and wanted that picture for later.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Its not just facebook its every thing

Every link you click on, every image, every video,every thing you type ect...
They are making a profile on you for various different reasons. The main goal is "national security" but not for us from us. Are you a potential terrorist, your on this site so you are. They will use these profiles to market to you. They will make statistics and graph out area's based on cutler from the information you chose to click on. Do you like blonds, red heads, brunets? I am sure the Government knows.

In the near feature imagine adds that fallow you based on who you are threw out the city's.They know exactly who you are and if they need to how to manipulate you based off of your personality.
edit on 27-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

That is the plot of a Tom Cruze movie just released.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Has somebody thrown out that 'but if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear' line yet? If not, they should.

After all, it's the same logic that's used by people who want the government to be able to access things like this all the time. Because, as everybody knows, no government agent could ever possibly be a perv, serial killer, or other criminal class.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I wonder if the creators of that website are putting themselves on the line for a tort lawsuit?

I personally think Facebook is lame and mostly abused by people trying to make up for low self esteem. Yes we all have a facebook page. yes we use it to keep in touch. BUt some (ok most people of a certain age) use facebook for self promotion and attention.

So my question is this. could somebody sue the website "We know what you are doing" on the grounds of tort. Yes the information one enters on facebook is a public forum but to then take that information set up a separate public page solely with the intention to punish people for being ignorant of their privacy settings and to cause harm/embarrassment in the broad public grounds for tort. TO intentionally hurt someone's reputation?

Not a lawyer so I don't know. But I feel the question should probably get asked.

either way facebook = Lame.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I saw that this morning.

Two ways to look at it and both are about equal.

It a dumb idea to have that site up.

Those who posted those things are dumb to post them.

Dumb+Dumb=Dumb-Dumb

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Has somebody thrown out that 'but if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear' line yet? If not, they should.

After all, it's the same logic that's used by people who want the government to be able to access things like this all the time. Because, as everybody knows, no government agent could ever possibly be a perv, serial killer, or other criminal class.

Why do you assume we're not criminals?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Great find! Whether this is old or new is irrelevant - this is a stark reminder that once you are on the internet you are being monitored. Anyone who actually thinks a privacy setting is for real is just asleep. At face value - yes - the privacy setting will set up a type of barrier but for absolute privacy - get off the computer - go outside and talk to a real human.

With monitors and global tracking systems and whatever else is up in the air - both within our atmosphere and outside the atmosphere in space - anyone who thinks they have privacy is not paying attention.

Just look at HAARP and D.U.M.B.s - how many people here realise that they pay taxes for the construction of all manner of buildings that they know nothing about. How many people even know they - were not informed of their construction. How many people know that they did not have any say in what/where/when/why they have been built at all!!??

If people would only stop thinking that pressing a button on their electronic toy actually means something - the cabal/illuminati/whatever have given us lots of electronic toys to play with - to keep us focussed on - while they sort out who gets loads of dollars - more authority - more army ships/tanks/bombs/killing devices ...

I have no doubt that the reason people have stopped talking to real people is simply because they have forgotten that they are a real person. What is really sad about the site that is the feature of this thread is that a section of the global community will think 'it is a really cool site' and what will be sadder still - even when those same people who think 'it is a cool site' see themselves there - will be excited that they are on the site.

Much Peace...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I have an avatar on facebook, just like I do here.
Because I was stalked once . . . my real name is not out there - nope, nada, no.
Unfortunately I used to be able to hide more in this world, now my information is online - more then I am comfortable with via search engines like Intelus.
Yuck.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I did find this status update quite ironic:

Lessons to be learnt: don't whinge about your boss, don't talk about how hungover you are or the drugs you're doing, and don't release your phone number publicly. Above all, make sure your privacy settings on Facebook are set properly!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join