It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New site tells what you -- and everyone else -- is doing - Scary Stuff

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm not really sure how I feel about someone creating this type of site, but he says it's a wake-up call to those who use social networking and do not have the privacy settings in place.

This is just another reason why sites like Facebook are bad...

Hate your boss? Are you hungover? If you keep these thoughts and actions to yourself, step away from this story now. But if you share that kind of info on Facebook, you could be featured on a new website that simply combs through publicly available, posted comments from the social network.

And it's not just what's being said, it's who's saying it. That's right: "Your name here," basically, especially if you haven't set stronger privacy controls on who sees your information. Your name and photo — if you have one posted publicly — could show up on We Know What You're Doing.

What, you didn't think your remarks about your boss, your drinking, your drugging, were public? Then this site — and the warning it gives — is for you, a wakeup call that should catapult you into action, into reviewing your Facebook settings.

We Know What You're Doing

Article Source

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Hah... sucked in idiots who use Facebook.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This is an excellent idea, should make people realize why they need privacy settings.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
That is why you had better be DAMNED sure if you want to keep things private you don't put them online... ever. We all knew (well, those of us with some common sense knew) this was coming, and I still find it baffling that people gripe so much about their 'privacy' rights while putting all of their dirty laundry online for the world to see.

Oh well, it's always fun to watch society eat itself due to its own stupidity.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Not shocking at all to me, but quite a lot of people need a wakeup call to social networking...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
They were talking on the news about something I think is related - it has to do with mug shots?
They say they are putting ALL mug shots up on some website, and if you are innocent, you have to pay them thousands to take them down.

Now I am paranoid about my photo - period. In my case, I think it would be a religious thing, because it has to do with my deep seated personal beliefs, even if I don't have a bible that says "Thou shalt not put thou photo for strangers and people that hate you to get"
I have never been arrested, but I did have someone take my photo on the street last week - and the first thing I thought was, is that person going to put MY image IN a mug shot and post it to some ruin your reputation if you don't pay site? The guy swore he wasn't taking a picture of me - he said some bullcrap about it was muggy one city over and was trying to show his friend the fine weather we were having, but he wouldn't let me SEE it.

OK, then, I noticed him and another woman taking pictures of other people. I stopped the lady and said "HEY! You should ASK him if it is ok to take his picture. He was like, why do you want to take my picture? And she said we don't have people like you in Florida." He shrugged and didn't fuss. I'd have wanted to POP her for insulting me and taking my photo like that.

So why are people running around flea markets taking pictures? What's up with that?

I do not like my photo to be taken. I am really quite a magickal thinker, and I do not like people having access to my photo. You won't find it online - if you do, it's not really me, it's someone else, usually not even the right race or sex. I detest having my driver's license picture taken. I have to and I try to look as unlike me as I can that day even if it involves blue eye shadow.

My family does not have photos of me. I'll keep the power of my image intact on my body thank you.

Oh and I checked with a relative, and it wasn't muggy at all when he said it was that day. He was lying.

edit on 27-6-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Why I don't use fakebook:

Reason number 1: This exact information made public.
Reason number 2: I don't need the public to know my every move.
Reason number 3: My life is NOT a popularity contest.
Reason number 4: ATS is much better.

I don't see why anyone would be surprised at this.
It seems inevitable that this site would've popped up.
Just imagine what data-mining has been done by higher ups.
Think this is bad? It's been done since you signed up.
It's advertising at a personal level.
A lot of people fell for it.
Hook.
Line.
And sinker.

Keep it up America.
Pretty soon there will be no privacy.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Exactly... the Government must have a freaking treasure chest of data mined from websites like Facebook. Also keep in mind that Facebook hasn't always had such good privacy settings, it's taken a lot of legal battles just to make them as good as they are now... which clearly isn't very good.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by freakjive

Hah... sucked in idiots who use Facebook.

Good to hear I am not the only sane person here.

I am not a member of any such social networking site and never will be.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Part of my job is putting the puzzle pieces of individuals together based on the digital trails they leave online... and seriously, most people are like Handsel and Gretel going to Grandma's house. They have no clue how much information they have online that is easy picking for someone with an interent connection, patience, and the most basic of personally identifiable information... like a last name.

You have to be extremely careful of where you tread on the Internet.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

New site tells what you -- and everyone else -- is doing
Ok, so they say that everything on the site, is information that is already easily accessible anyways, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is true.

[color=FFDA99] Tell the truth = [color=E3FFF7]mmmmmMaybe, but probably not.

[color=FFDA99] Tell the whole truth = [color=E3FFF7]Pick and choose which tiny pieces of details that are not too incriminating.

[color=FFDA99] Nothing but the truth = [color=E3FFF7]Fabricate at least half of the information that you post about yourself.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
This is an excellent idea, should make people realize why they need privacy settings.

Privacy settings does not help much against this problem at all. The only way to protect yourself is to not write personal stuff on the internet in first place.
Even if you delete your facebook account the data will still be stored somewhere for a government agency to collect.

Funny how in 90s people had more clue about privacy issues than today....
edit on 27-6-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I completely understand and agree that FB users should be more careful with their privacy settings and/or not even put sensitive info on a social networking site.

However, this site is going out of it's way to make people look stupid to a wide scale audience, and potentially cause lost jobs, relationships, etc that might not otherwise have happened.

I suppose you could say these FB users are pointing the gun at their own feet, but this site is looking for and pulling triggers right and left.

edit on 27-6-2012 by Zarniwoop because: woops

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Why I don't use fakebook:

Reason number 1: This exact information made public.
Reason number 2: I don't need the public to know my every move.
Reason number 3: My life is NOT a popularity contest.
Reason number 4: ATS is much better.

I don't see why anyone would be surprised at this.
It seems inevitable that this site would've popped up.
It's advertising at a personal level.
A lot of people fell for it.
Hook.
Line.
And sinker.

Keep it up America.
Pretty soon there will be no privacy.

1. You can choose who sees your info and posts.
2. If you don't want something made public, DON'T PUT IT ON FACEBOOK.

Facebook is fine, pay attention to #2.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
I completely understand and agree that FB users should be more careful with their privacy settings and/or not even put sensitive info on a social networking site.

However, this site is going out of it's way to make people look stupid to a wide scale audience, and potentially cause lost jobs, relationships, etc that might not otherwise have happened.

I suppose you could say these FB users are pointing the gun at their own feet, but this site is looking for and pulling triggers right and left.

edit on 27-6-2012 by Zarniwoop because: woops

It is their own damn fault for being such retards. At least this site might wake up some naive people.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

It is not that easy either since your friends might not be smart enough to not put private information about you on your wall. I have seen this happen all the time.

And if you have no friends, no public wall then there is not that much point in having a facebook account.
edit on 27-6-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Social media and the 'net can be used to your advantage or against you.

Up to you.

edit on 27-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I've never been a Facebookian anyways, but I think you should take #2 a bit further.

Originally posted by SpearMint

2. If you don't want something made public, DON'T PUT IT ON FACEBOOK.....
......YOUR COMPUTER, and especially not online, period.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What is more disturbing for me, is the terrible spelling.

edit on 27-6-2012 by deessell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
In the UK stuff posted on Facebook and other social media platforms has been used as evidence in court. I could rant all day about this topic although it doesn't surprise me in the slightest stuff like this happens.

Big brothers watching you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join