It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New site tells what you -- and everyone else -- is doing - Scary Stuff

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I really don't get the point. The stuff they are showing is stuff that is posted publicly anyway. Why not look it up directly from face book? This web page is pretty much redundant.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
A lot of people just don't care if strangers know the minutiae of their everyday lives - after all, none of these people look like they're doing anything special or important - just worker bees letting off steam.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
This is an excellent idea, should make people realize why they need privacy settings.

Should make people realize, when they make information about themselves public on the internet ITS PUBLIC ON THE INTERNETZ

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I should have seen this earlier, it reminds me of a site someone put up a few years ago called PleaseRobMe.com, these sort of websites are good at raising awareness about sharing information that you ought not online.

On PleaseRobMe.com, any time someone on Facebook announced that they left their house, their post was shown on the site. The creator's intention there was to also raise awareness of being an idiot, so shortly after it caught attention they brought it down. Will this website stay up, I wonder....

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I was one of first users of facebook. I created account, realized that this service is not for me and forgot about it. 2 years later mails with subject "XYZ added you as friend on #book" started to arrive. It took more then 1 hour to realize how to "disable" #b account. Plain reason is that I do not want to present my personal social network on inet. I do not want other people to know that I know other people. This is exactly what any "annalyst" would like to know: Who is my friend, with whom I have some ordinary contact, etc. Another 2 years later I realized that #book have file on my personality and that the file is updated via bots similar to bots Google uses. Now it is wise to keep your #book account alive filled with junk info.

I wish every corporate slave awakening, every corporate boss hell ON THE EARTH.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

All of that is public information, if you dont want people to see your "statuses" you set your privacy to just friends...

And there are over 500 million facebook users (its probably getting closer to the billion mark) and they only have 7 examples of "people who wanna get fired"....

Not sure if im buying this...
edit on 28-6-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Why I don't use fakebook:

Reason number 1: This exact information made public.
Reason number 2: I don't need the public to know my every move.
Reason number 3: My life is NOT a popularity contest.
Reason number 4: ATS is much better.

Reason 1- If you set your account to privacy, it wont be made public
Reason 2- The public will never know your every move unless you're updating your status of where you're at every 5 minutes
Reason 3- Nobody ever said Facebook was a popularity contest, its just a decent way to keep in touch with people of your past without having to call them every week to find out.
Reason 4- I agree, ATS is WAY better than anything out there

Just thought I would chime in...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't have Facebook.

you'd be surprised how many users really aren't aware or don't think about what they are posting is public.
Or they do think about that and start off with common sense but once they get friends and start chatting away, that all goes out the window. Some users aren't able to figure out the privacy settings either.
I used to have MySpace for my music interests but left once it changed how you edited privacy. All my friends left to join FB . I didn't go along with them. All I saw in that was a scheme to get people into FB

How does it work?
It simply queries Facebook's Graph API and outputs the results. There is nothing on this website that cannot be accessed by anyone else. Try it out, GET graph.facebook.com... and you'll see the raw JSON output. This site does some filtering to make the output more useful, for example omitting all posts except status updates, and only showing posts in the last column that contain a phone number. Finally this site caches data for the last hour, so updates may not be realtime, but should not be longer than an hour out of date. Absolutely no data from Facebook is being collected or stored.

These people probably wouldn't want this info publishing, would they?
Probably not to be fair, but it was their choice, or lack of, with regards to their account privacy settings. People have lost their jobs in the past due to some of the posts they put on Facebook, so maybe this demonstrates why. Efforts have been made to remove any personal data from the results, such as the actual phone numbers, surnames, etc. The data is still easily accessible from the API, the filters have been put in place to protect the site from legal issues.

What is the lesson to be learned?
Just make sure your Facebook privacy settings are sufficient, for example don't publish status updates containing potentially risky material as 'Public' because then they have a good chance of showing up in the public Graph API. You don't even need an access token to get this info, but the problem is not with Facebook themselves, when used correctly, their privacy controls are very good. The problem is how people simply don't understand the risks of sharing everything.

How do I make sure that I don't end up on here?
Just go to www.facebook.com... and make sure Control Your Default Privacy is not set to "Public". You can set it to "Friends" but for the best privacy it is recommended you choose "Custom" and go through each option to choose who can see what.

edit on 28-6-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
i always like how people are all "OMG NO USE FACEBOOK PRIVACY!!!"

I have one and guess what, fake name, fake birthday, fake addresses/schools, fake pictures. Its for the dumbasses who want to talk on facebook and only that. Why don't you just encourage to use false info instead?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by doom27

I have one and guess what, fake name, fake birthday, fake addresses/schools, fake pictures. Its for the dumbasses who want to talk on facebook and only that. Why don't you just encourage to use false info instead?

LOTS of people do that. They will put their first name with a made up last name (or their middle name)... And if you're putting truly personal informtion on a social media site than you deserve all the bad that will come with it...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If someone can do this with a simple Facebook GraphAPI script ... imagine what a bunch of government funded programmers and scientists can do with it. You don't even need to have special crawlers and data centers to comb through Facebook.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
To be honest I don't really mind this type of thing. It's basically just showing you exactly how you're being watched at any given moment. I personally don't care because I don't post extremely personal or delicate things on social media sites anyways (okay maybe on occasion, the website had pegged me at a Tim Hortons about 9 months ago).

The internet is a great tool and it can bring people's thoughts together, but it can also be used as a tool for evil and it's pretty clear to me that it's one of the avenues in which the Government is utilizing the technology to spy on people, I mean, why wouldn't they?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by doom27

Exactly, just fake your info.
They use real names etc because they want to be found by old acquaintances are long lost family members. Or they want to stalk. It should be called stalkers.com

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

wow, alot of hung over people. that's kinda sad. alot of potheads too.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

i agree. using an alias is the best way to go.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Like I said, the privacy issue was a huge reason why I closed my facebook account. It was just absurd and I no longer want to be a part of it.

Vote TRUTH_2012 for ATS Regent

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I don't find this at all shocking and I think many people will LOVE to be featured on this new site! I don't think many people that already put their details online will care that some site has collated them. Personally I couldn't really give a damn, I don't use facebook or anything like it... Closest I come to is ATS but then it isn't my real name etc so who cares? lol Not quite the same thing really.

So yeah I don't think this site is going to make one bit of difference, people concerned with privacy probably wouldn't be on facebook or would at least have the privacy controls turned on.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Why I don't use fakebook:

Reason number 1: This exact information made public.
Reason number 2: I don't need the public to know my every move.
Reason number 3: My life is NOT a popularity contest.
Reason number 4: ATS is much better.

I don't see why anyone would be surprised at this.
It seems inevitable that this site would've popped up.
Just imagine what data-mining has been done by higher ups.
Think this is bad? It's been done since you signed up.
It's advertising at a personal level.
A lot of people fell for it.
Hook.
Line.
And sinker.

Keep it up America.
Pretty soon there will be no privacy.

Could not agree with you more. I can't understand why people don't see Facebook as silly and mostly childish anyway. I could care less to look at someone's page - what do they call it now, timeline? If I want a picture of you I will ask you for one. If I want to know what's happening in your life I'll pick up the phone (I know, so old-fashioned). Do I care that you are recently single and on your way to get coffee?

As far as privacy, what amazes me as how so many people simply look the other way. They really don't care that they are photographed or video taped where ever they go. They don't care that the government and POTUS in particular can decide tomorrow that you are a threat and actually kill you - without any type of due process - no questioning, detention, or day in court. A Muslim propagandist was murdered by Obama. I don't know anyone who is a fan of muslim extremism but this is how IT STARTS. It's how anything the government decides is their business starts. But they cannot control themselves.

We found no MWD's in Iraq but are supposed to have top-notch intelligence organizations. These same organizations might make a mistake about you and report you incorrectly and you might get snuffed out. Sounds extreme?

So did the government being allowed to listen to ANY of your phone calls 15 years ago - now look where we are.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium

They are all just public Facebook entries anyway, the public could view them anyway.

While that is true, I still believe many people out there don't realise how public it all is. To semi computer savvy folk it is ridiculously obvious but the casual user is an idiot lol

On another forum I visit quite often, a thread was started about someone being ripped off on ebay. Other members started searching the guys ebay username and managed to link it to a Facebook account that was all open to the public. We got his name, mobile number, email address, girlfriends name, address and phone number. Even managed to get his address because his girlfriend had created a "place" and "checked in" regularly, this place was not only his house but pin pointed down to his bedroom. Open up google maps and there you go.

Also managed to find his place of work as one of his pictures in his "Work Party" album featured a ute (pick-up truck) with certain words written on the side that gave away the company he worked for.

Found links to youtube videos they had put up as well featuring the mis-use of someones ATM card and hooning around in their cars.

TLDR: Don't be stupid with the info you post.
edit on 28-6-2012 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Hah... sucked in idiots who use Facebook.

Sucked in idiots who use Facebook and post damning messages. Not everybody who uses Facebook is an idiot, idiot.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join