It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more worship of the troops

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

The state of Arizona can close that border. The obama administration wants it left wide open to facilitate the entrance of illegal democratic voters. Get a clue

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by redneck13
reply to post by The Sword

The state of Arizona can close that border. The obama administration wants it left wide open to facilitate the entrance of illegal democratic voters. Get a clue

Hmmmm....i remember reading the same thing about the Bush admin....

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

What?

Your saying the airforce, army, marines, navy, and coast guard couldnt stop ships from entering our harbors or making beach landings?
Couldnt keep aircraft from entering our air space?

How else could they get here. Now granted if they teleported here i agree. May be a little tricky stopping that.

But if by air or sea, by land through mexico or canada. We would see them and could stop them.

Your saying we couldnt orrrrr wouldnt?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by PLASIFISK

We have a military and we're still not safe from any of that.

Our military exists solely for the purpose of furthering the American regime and nothing more.

If you want to defend America, then come home and feel free to camp on the U.S/Mexico border. That's where our troops are needed the most right now, not off playing glorified war games in Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention Syria and Libya by proxy.

Ummm there is a border patrol, and ice. Whats up?

Heres the bigger question, what are you doing to defend america?
edit on 24-6-2012 by PLASIFISK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PLASIFISK

What?

Your saying the airforce, army, marines, navy, and coast guard couldnt stop ships from entering our harbors or making beach landings?
Couldnt keep aircraft from entering our air space?

How else could they get here. Now granted if they teleported here i agree. May be a little tricky stopping that.

But if by air or sea, by land through mexico or canada. We would see them and could stop them.

Your saying we couldnt orrrrr wouldnt?

Im saying they are not stopping anyone, and I am saying that IF an attempt was made to invade, it would not be the military that was fighting the bulk of the fight. A fight on american soil would be a fight against the citizenry of this country, and they would be the most important part of said fight.

On top of that, in this day and age, any invading force is not likely to be an army, but a cell, or mercinaries. The military can stop a convoy. They sure couldnt stop a couple of guys with boxcutters, though.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
Some of you military bashers need to put your heads on straight.

Fact: Politicians and Lawmakers and by extension the people that elected them are responsible for the wars.

the soldiers that fight in them do what is asked of them and are not capable starting a war;

Thats completely true my friend but lets try to move them towards moral and ethical standards that we are comfortable with as a people, and really really try to provide support systems for military personal who refuse to obey illegal orders. Now at this point the problem is they don't know what constitutes illegal orders.
The military shapes our civilization in a way that it puts out some of the best people in society.

In some cases a few baddies get their 15 minutes of fame and make everyone feel like crap because of it.

But since the days of old, they have been making people who almost always we can be proud of.

If you look at the skilled trades and professional occupations like pilots, and commercial pilots as a for instance or helicopter pilots, in a lot of cases these people got their experience through the military.

There are careers involved so its not just about killing.

You know we sure come down hard on them when people mess up and commit atrocities, but don't forget they are also always laying down their lives for others in selfless acts of self sacrifice. And all that ends up being just forgotten when people lose their moral compass.

You know we do the best we can, we can be very proud we have made a better world and if some people in there were not onside in that process well a few bad apples can't spoil the whole bunch if we don't let it.

Yeah I wish they would have just said, hell no. And you know don't get me started because I will certainly spew froth over the things that have occurred in some areas. We have to teach them morals and ethics or hey whats to stop them form turning on us one day if we don't impress on them the importance of virtue.

I was just having this discussion higher up and I said what you should have done is asked yourself what would Socrates do.
I can tell you what he always said about the virtuous life. He said a man must act virtuously not even so much for others but for his own self. He inevitably will be hurt, by his own actions.
You have to live with yourself and you have to live with others.

If the ultimate goal of man is to be happy, and content, you will never get there unless you understand about virtue. Sounds corny I know, but then its not been taught properly so people can understand it.

It doesn't matter what else you try to achieve it will leave you hollow if you do not understand virtue.

If you think its brave to lead the charge, try standing up for what you know is right, regardless and refusing to shoot unarmed people or engaging in torture etc.

You know there are times when creative means to an end are necessary, and it might look through propaganda that all sorts of things are going on that aren't really happening.

I just think the facts have shown us that what we thought was happening was indeed happening and yes, this is now a legal matter. But I am prepared to not pursue it, I am prepared to let God sort it out. Regarding the people who have been given the orders at the top.
You know the people on the ground have been dealt with severely.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Majority of illegals vote democrat. They should not be voting at all

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by redneck13
Majority of illegals vote democrat. They should not be voting at all

Wow, we're really working on derailing this thread, huh. Can you link statistics to back up your claim?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoonyConservative
Oh and do not take away a soldiers belief that he is protecting his family or fighting for their freedom,

I know a handful of guys in the mid east, and none of them have any delusions about protecting their families or fighting for freedom. They are just doing a job to get paid.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I have some questions, as I am a bigger fan of learning another perspective than dictating my own. I am asking this respectfully by the way, hoping for honest and sincere answers. I would love to see a warless, harmonious world as much as anyone else, but as things stand, I'm not certain that is realistic until human nature itself evolves. That being said...

When people suggest that soldiers are fighting for my freedom (as an American), my right to speak freely, my right to play video games, or sit in a hot tub as another poster put it, exactly how does this equate to a soldier over in Iraq for example... It seems there are two camps of people in this thread and I'm not sure what people mean by defending freedom.

I was under the impression that my rights as an American came from the constitution. In addition, to the military personnel that are trained, armed, and ready to lay down their life to prevent undesirables from entering our nation harming us, our way of life, our rights etc... In this case, I would never suggest we disband our military. I would only suggest we bring it home, and keep it home where it belongs. My freedom as an American should only apply to America, and our like-minded allies.

I would lay down my life in a heartbeat to protect my homeland, the problem is that going to the other side of the world and getting mangled up in wars that seem to have nothing to do with my freedom, or my homeland; is what people seem to equate with "fighting for freedom and our way of life".

I think many people are thinking of this when they get a bit hostile toward America and its troops. To eliminate the military in the current world we live in seems crazy to me, but so doesn't being told that my freedom has anything to do with Iraq, Vietnam, etc..

I'm told we have the most powerful military in the world, great, lets secure our nation and keep it breathing. When people come to take our rights away, I think you'd have the largest recruitment turn out in history. Then everyone but the enemy would be supporting our troops, and doing so without the media's help.

So perhaps I am dense, maybe I am ignorant and just don't understand. Maybe you guys can help me understand? This isn't rhetorical, I'm asking sincerely, what do my freedoms, our way of life, and the people that wish to do us harm, have to do with the last 60 years of war?
edit on 24-6-2012 by BS_Slayer because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2012 by BS_Slayer because: various stuff

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by redneck13

Take the tinfoil hat off for a minute and re-read what you just wrote.

Better to have the military patrolling that border than the Minutemen. What a joke.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Let's not derail this thread with hyperbole.

The topic at hand concerns the blind worship of the U.S Military.

link   
reply to post by BrianDamage

It is a VERY legitimate defense. It is obvious you havent been in the military. If you don't follow orders .. you go to jail and get a dishonorable discharge and there goes the rest of your life. I would rather die than go to jail.

When you join the military you voluntarily give up some rights.

---

Oh , i am sorry. Lets not pay respect to the young men and women who join the military voluntarily that are hoping for some adventure but find out war isn't an adventure.
edit on 24-6-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

link   
The OP is simple minded and doesn't understand how the world works.

Also, the OP is mistaking THANKING the troops for WORSHIPING the troops.

OP should thank the troops for fighting for his freedom of speech to say such ridiculous things.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The amount of ignorance in this thread is horrendous.

Those on the anti-war and anti-military side of the thread may have had more luck in life than others. For those that I know who have joined the military have either done it out of patriotic duty and/or because they had no other options left in life to fully support their families.

Do I think the entire political system (locally, nationally, and globally) is nothing more than a facade to a greater agenda to fill the pockets of the greedy? Yes.

Would I choose to follow orders if my life was on the line? Yes.

Would I choose to follow orders to put food on my families table and a roof over their heads? Yes.

Would I choose to follow orders so that my family may enjoy the various types of support for military families while I am getting shot at? Yes.

Would I do whatever it takes so that my family can outlive other families? You're god-damn right I would.

The point of my post is, for some, there are no other options than working at a fast-food joint if they chose not to go into the military. This is the best way for some to support their families even if it considered morally "wrong" to some people.

I, for one, am not in the military, but I have family and friends who have served and I have some very close friends who are still active. Like I have previously stated, for some, the military is the only option for them to give their families a somewhat "normal" and "decent" life.

If America, or any other nation, was to have a complete disarmament of its entire military force, their would be nothing to stop another foreign entity from taking over the entire nation. History is written by those who hang heroes.

As long as the human race is on planet Earth, there will be those who seek power. If there were no weapons in the entire world, the first man to create a weapon would be able to take over every man, woman, child, resources and piece of land he see's fit...

I don't know if any of you anti-war and anti-military supporters have families, but if any soul was to try and harm my family, I would kill them before my family was to get touched.

Disarming one military in hopes that other militaries will also disarm is the biggest load of s*** I have ever heard of. All it takes is one man to ruin peace.

Family comes first. The rest of the world comes second.

link   

Originally posted by The Sword

We have a military and we're still not safe from any of that.

Our military exists solely for the purpose of furthering the American regime and nothing more.

If you want to defend America, then come home and feel free to camp on the U.S/Mexico border. That's where our troops are needed the most right now, not off playing glorified war games in Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention Syria and Libya by proxy.

Ummm there is a border patrol, and ice. Whats up?

Heres the bigger question, what are you doing to defend america?

I know this wasnt asked to me, but Ill answer:

Im educating children. Meaning, Im working to build a POSITIVE america. Not one mired in war and death.
edit on 24-6-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by milkyway12

I take it that your pride is more important than doing the right thing.

Someday, you might end up pointing a gun at your own neighbors while in uniform. What will win over there? Foolish pride or doing the right thing?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Nicely and simply put brother, I serve at the order of my CO, he servers his CO and so on until you get to the Secretary of the Military, whom servers the POTUS a non military elected official by the people.

MarineSniper

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

No we dont think that way. Well i for one dont think that way.

Amongst the many professions i take my hat off to the doctors, engineers, scientist, teachers, and hardworkers of america.

With that said out of them all only a few of them have taken weapons and tactical training as a hobby. Where as it is my profession.

I dont do their job and am not expected to do so. And visa versa.

well said, i wish more of you would speak out in this fashion...when i was close to getting drafted during the vietnam war, my father who served honorably in the korean war, told me that he would sneek me into canada himself, if i was called up...he understood the costs, as well as the politics of going to war. he understood WW2, and korea...but after "cocktail discussions" with his fellow officers at the local VFW, most of them agreed that vietnam was a war about corporate interests and not about a war to free oppressed people. even into his 70's, he volunteered to be an honor guard for special events, even thou he'd have to rest his bum knees for a couple of days after. he always said that it is politicans duty on BOTH sides to avoid war at all costs, instead of metaphorically "using a countries military to see who's c**k is bigger"

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

I will keep it really simple here. There was zero, and I mean zero evidence that there was clear and present danger.
End of story, case closed as far as I am concerned.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join