It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more worship of the troops

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by BrianDamage

When you join the military you voluntarily give up some rights.

edit on 24-6-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

and this, right there, is the first and biggest issue I have with the military. I have to question the mental faculties of ANYONE who would VOLUNTEER to give up their rights.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

When you are 18-25 years old. It isnt hard.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

When you are 18-25 years old. It isnt hard.

2nd

Absolutely true, and there is a reason that the target for recruiters tend to be the bottom 1/3rd of our graduating classes.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

Clear and present danger as it applies to free speech...

"The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that the United States Congress has a right to prevent. It is a question of proximity and degree. When a nation is at war, many things that might be said in time of peace are such a hindrance to its effort that their utterance will not be endured so long as men fight, and that no Court could regard them as protected by any constitutional right."

Clear and present danger as it applies to an unarmed Iraq, which was searched thoroughly by UN weapons inspectors.

Were they going to just jump up and head to America?

What about when Kuwait, was cross drilling into Iraqi oilfields. That was why Iraq invaded Kuwait.
Thats a local dispute between two countries.

George Bush senior knew that was why Iraq went into Kuwait. Did he tell you that on the telly?

Do you want to blame him? A sock puppet? A brainless mindless brainwashed zombie who really is only part human.
So the system failed. It failed to protect America's honor.
Regardless of what everyone else thinks you have to look at yourselves in the mirror when you shave.

I'm living proof that Socrates was right. I have no guilt, I was on the right side of the issue.

Canada sent in military to Iraq, yeah snipers, and we shot a lot of Americans who were murdering people.
And we are damn proud of it.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Canada sent in military to Iraq, yeah snipers, and we shot a lot of Americans who were murdering people. And we are damn proud of it.

Whoever is on your account at this very moment , behind this screen. Please take pride in what you did and say that YOU shot or otherwise engaged United States Military forces in Iraq while in the Canadian Armed Forces

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

That's quite a response and virtue is important. Unfortunately, this concept is not uniformly understood by all...i once brought up the idea of fair-play in a class I taught years ago and the students looked at me like I started speaking in tongues.

First off, I'm not certain that soldiers are being worshiped, nor have they been in my life. But after gaining a better understanding of the causes of wars and the nature of conflict, I'm of the opinion that this attack upon the military was pre-planned and the atrocities of people wearing an American uniform are accused of are prefabricated.

at the time of the invasion of Iraq, the military had 70% support according to all the polls that were coming out in the media. the war is over, as far as the US is concerned at least, the Iraqi's have a new government and returning to normalcy and whatever it was that was wanted was accomplished.

the so-called military opponents, in my opinion, supported a war for no other reason than to eventually drag the reputations through the mud of the people who for whatever reason participated in the military component of it. they planned this all from the beginning.

it was a set up...and being treacherous, back-stabbing bushwhackers is the type of life some people consider virtue.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by petrus4

Because disunity is an illusion thrust on us by greedy and sociopathic people.

All truly is one. And I don't mean in some mystical, hokey sort of way.

Wow, i was not expecting to see this truth in a thread titled as this one is. Is something changing? Here is to hoping!

Cheers and so very much Love my friends!

/hippy
edit on 6/24/12 by soulshn because: =)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Wrong. Period. And a ridiculous statement. Do your history.

An Army of the nations' population is rare, not the norm. And a volunteer Army? Even more rare still. The vast majority of fighting military's through out history have been mercenary. Regardless, the state/monarch/etc still pays for them from their treasury. At least today in the US, you can know what is going on. Most choose not to though.

With a volunteer military, you the tax payer have some say in armed foreign policy. Still, history plays out. Many of the 'forces' the US uses worldwide are contractors, a nice word for mercenaries. You as the tax payer, the citizen do not need to know about those. Very handy for criminals running the show. This will be the norm as we move forward and administrations look to skirt the law further and further.

This whole 'what if they held a war and no one came' cloud of crack smoke is ridiculous. TPTB love people who think that stuff as they are so far out there, TPTB can get away with anything. Go ahead and hold a protest rally. Have a Peace Sit In. As a member of the military, believe it or not I support you 100% of the way. I am just trying to tell you, your government does not care what you think. A volunteer military is one of the last vestiges of control you have over how your government operates. If you want to squander that with completely disengaged, far fetched, nonsense, go ahead. Your choice. I support that to but it disappoints me.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

When you join the military you voluntarily give up some rights.

and this, right there, is the first and biggest issue I have with the military. I have to question the mental faculties of ANYONE who would VOLUNTEER to give up their rights.

if it meant myself (at 60 yrs old) going to a foriegn country, no way in hell. but, even being a liberal democrat, if someone attacks our country, i want some soldier to hand me a rifle with a box of ammo, prop me up behind some dirt pile, and i would hold them off as long as i possibly could.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7

Clear and present danger as it applies to an unarmed Iraq, which was searched thoroughly by UN weapons inspectors.

I'm living proof that Socrates was right. I have no guilt, I was on the right side of the issue.

Canada sent in military to Iraq, yeah snipers, and we shot a lot of Americans who were murdering people.
And we are damn proud of it.

The question is why weren't you shooting them?

There are psychopaths in every part of society and they go to war too. They still need to be policed even in war.
Swift justice is what we called it. And we were not secret about it.
To give people pause. That if they think they can just shoot unarmed civilians, they should not be surprised to be shot from miles away, by someone who thinks that is wrong. Is that the kind of military you want?

I am not saying Canadians are perfect by any means, but I am proud of them, for at least doing something.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

i thought they 'targeted' the lower 1/3rd because society feels it has an obligation to create an environment where everyone has the opportunity to achieve relative success in life and in their careers.

since they can't read, as you put it, its reasonable to assume that college may not be a good fit for those young people, but if they are in an environment that seeks to make use of other skills, perhaps physical strength or sense of duty or desire for adventure...they can still enjoy a full life. as opposed to being forever locked in the prison of illiteracy.

but, I suppose ones perception determines their reality.

military service is all about abusing dumb people as far as you see it.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came was a title for a 70's movie. Yes its the politicians that start the wars generally, but going to war does not always serve our country, sometimes it seems to serve the corporations and arms manufacturers and others that make money when we go to war. And I too am tired of hearing that everyone who serves is a Hero; to me that demeans the meaning of the word. There ARE true heroes but it takes more than just going overseas to become one, or serving in a war zone, or being shot at by someone. Remember that woman in the Iraq war, a soldier, who was captured and survived? Made all the news? I can't look up her name right now but she was called Hero and was huge in the media for a while but she never fired a shot, never rescued anyone, never did anything but be a prisoner and then released. What made her an actual hero? Nothing I can think of.
I appreciate my family that served, I appreciate my friends that served ( I could not), and I appreciate those who served in certain wars, but I personally think Afghanistan has been a pointless war for years. We kicked the Taliban out of rule but there was no way we were ever going to turn this tribal mess of a country into a functioning democracy, so its been an extra decade of death for us and them. To volunteer to go there to me seems like the wrong thing to do. It doesn't serve our country.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
To everyone that is opposed in any way to our military. What are you doing to fix the problems?

For real, stand up for what you believe and take ACTION. Internet warriors run ATS. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Ah hemm and how is the citizen going to stop missles?

How about divisions of ground troop.?

Lol..... You have no idea what you would be stacked up against.

You in all your infinate wisdom would now last very long at all.

You think other countries dont have sophisticated militaries? You think they wouldnot invade the way we would?

Sooooo you have the means to step outof your front door and use some kindof weapon to stop a fastmoving jet from delivering missles/bombs to a neighborhoodnear you.

Or are you the " well screw the other cities, i'll just defendmy neck of the woods"

Geeeez....... You actually would need to have the badness on yout street, at your door before saying " we need a military"

For your own curiousity you would have millions of people die before YOU decide " oh sh@t we need an army to fight that army. There all orginized and trained to fight and stuff and well.... We arent. Somebody go talk to them and see if they will give us enough time to build a military. This is justnot fair! We are getting slaughtered!!!"

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I don't worship the troops.

I have a lot of respect for them, because, like it or not, they are putting their life on the line to protect America and the constitution. But I don't worship them. When I see they are doing wrong I will criticize them.

Like it or not, the War On Terror is a legitimate war. We have almost three thousand dead people to prove that.It's just being fought in the wrong ways and an inordinate amount of money is being spent on it and not accounted for.

So keep on bashing the troops all you want, they'll continue to protect America and the Constitution.

edit on 24-6-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join