It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My little sister gets suspended for conspiracy theorizing...?

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by kyviecaldges

this is not teaching.

this is bondage.

Oh come on.

Ok. It's all the fault of the system. No personal responsibility anywhere.

edit on 6/10/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

agreed.

you see it in the sister and i see it in the teacher, or better yet... the system man!!

you say po-tay-to and i say tuber.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyviecaldges
reply to post by PurpleChiten

how is my premise over-simplified or skewed?
really... i would love to hear your answer.

i have a better sentence for you.

my premise is lacking the irrational emotional valence that skews perception toward the extreme polarities found on affective continuum.

sometimes logic is so simple that it's easy man.

It's oversimplified as having only two possible causes which in social contexts NEVER exists. It is skewed by your own opinion of what the reason is, not based in fact since you don't know the full story.
QED

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

this is not teaching.

this is bondage.

We are damn fortunate to have public schools and a guarantee of every child getting an education.

In many countries - - if you don't pay - - you don't go to school.

Can you get a better education if you pay to go to a private school? Maybe. Depends on the school - the curriculum and the teachers.

Do I rely solely on the school to teach my kid? Uh NO.

Some parents will involve themselves with both the school and the kids education. Most probably won't. But those children are still getting basic education.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I have to agree with what you are doing with your little sister... However... I have always believed that to find the truth one must seek it out for themselves.

I only agree with your stance on this because everyone needs a guide. The old saying goes, when the student is ready, the master or teacher will appear. This has been true in almost every instance of truth finding for me.

It's good to plant the seed into the child's brain however allow her to bloom that seed. Allow her to find it on her own, otherwise she will never truly know truth. Maybe this is what you do I don't know. Allow her to ask the questions and then state your opinion but always telling her to find out for herself afterwards. Just my thought.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Precisely, thanks for the nice tune.

Don't take it wrong kind sir, that statement just kinda trolled off my finger tips.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enemyc0mbatant
I have to agree with what you are doing with your little sister... However... I have always believed that to find the truth one must seek it out for themselves.

I only agree with your stance on this because everyone needs a guide. The old saying goes, when the student is ready, the master or teacher will appear. This has been true in almost every instance of truth finding for me.

It's good to plant the seed into the child's brain however allow her to bloom that seed. Allow her to find it on her own, otherwise she will never truly know truth. Maybe this is what you do I don't know. Allow her to ask the questions and then state your opinion but always telling her to find out for herself afterwards. Just my thought.

There is also an old saying about when the blind leads the blind, they both fall into the ditch....

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I agree with it 100%. I see myself and others in life and agree with it. I have no doubt it is right.

Raist

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

I agree with it 100%. I see myself and others in life and agree with it. I have no doubt it is right.

Raist

yup!

....as for some of the others.....
smh

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Its ok to teach children theres an invisible man in the sky who will burn them forever if they dont obey him. But unpopular facts is just going too far!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueminatti

That's debatable... Not everyone believes in God....

Once again it comes down to personal faith and giving a person both sides of the story and letting them choose when they are old enough to make a decision.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

You actually think there is a deliberate attempt to dumb down children?

Despite the fact that now, more than ever kids have access to this thing called the internets.

If one chose to, they could download...for free...the entire curriculum from Harvard.

There are endless resources available to them!

So saying there is a deliberate attempt to dumb down kids is plain dumb.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

It's oversimplified as having only two possible causes which in social contexts NEVER exists. It is skewed by your own opinion of what the reason is, not based in fact since you don't know the full story.
QED

my premise states that the behavior of the teacher is more detrimental for the development of the young lady because-

A) the sister is not educated or qualified to teach, therefore, it is simply the influence of the sister that is causing this young lady to question what she is taught, and although the sister appears to be teaching the young lady speculative beliefs, the sister does not in any way possess malintent towards her younger sister.
if the sister does not understand how to employ logic and reason, then it is not possible to hold her accountable for NOT teaching her younger sister logic and reason. (see the legal maxim mens rea)

B) the teacher, however, not only possesses malintent, which is very obvious... punishment... but the teacher is also attempting to influence the young lady by teaching historical absolutes rather than critical thinking skills.

So the teacher is engaging in the exact same behavior as the sister, and then is adding punishment to that.
All while NOT teaching the critical thinking skills that seem to be at the root of all criticisms of the sister.

ummmmm... over-simplified?
okay.

and how exactly do these ideas that support my premise actually skew my premise?
where do you see personal opinion in this?

edit on 10/6/2012 by kyviecaldges because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueminatti
Its ok to teach children theres an invisible man in the sky who will burn them forever if they dont obey him. But unpopular facts is just going too far!

Public schools don't teach them about God, that comes from the churches and parents. Public schools don't teach them about Roswell, that's not in the curriculum. Public schools don't teach any conspiracy theories, only what is supported and accepted by the general population at that time concerning history.

Reading, Writing and Arithmetic are not subjective to conspiracy theories although some of the teaching methods could possibly be on a very minute scale and only in the educational venues.

The fact remains, the little sister was bringing in external information to the curriculum that was not asked for nor supported, most likely did so in a very disruptive manner, wrote a note that could be interpreted as threatening and was suspened as a result. All this because her teenaged sister tried to teach her about conspiracy theories (not truth, theories) and only her own opinion on them, not fact when she was between the ages of 6 and 10 which basically led to the disruption and the suspension.

In this particular case, the teenaged sister is at fault and should suffer the consequences of her father and step-mother (or at least her father) as her parents are responsible for her and her interaction in society at large. If she does not have critical thinking skills, then she most likely graduated and did not continue on to college. It was the job of the school to give her the basics and help her develop those skills to the best of her ability, which they did. She has them to the best of her ability and can clearly read and write. The school did their job.

It may not be nice, sweet and pretty, but that's the way it is.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

QED

my premise states that the behavior of the teacher is more detrimental for the development of the young lady because-

A) the sister is not educated or qualified to teach, therefore, it is simply the influence of the sister that is causing this young lady to question what she is taught, and although the sister appears to be teaching the young lady speculative beliefs, the sister does not in any way possess malintent towards her younger sister.
if the sister does not understand how to employ logic and reason, then it is not possible to hold her accountable for NOT teaching her younger sister logic and reason. (see the legal maxim mens rea)

B) the teacher, however, not only possesses malintent, which is very obvious... punishment... but the teacher is also attempting to influence the young lady by teaching historical absolutes rather than critical thinking skills.

So the teacher is engaging in the exact same behavior as the sister, and then is adding punishment to that.
All while NOT teaching the critical thinking skills that seem to be at the root of all criticisms of the teacher.

ummmmm... over-simplified?
okay.

and how exactly do these ideas that support my premise actually skew my premise?
where do you see personal opinion in this?

When you complete your second class in logic and philosophy, you will gain more understanding, the first class is not sufficient for you to comprehend.... apparently.
A clear and concise answer was given to you, investigate it further and review your text if you wish to gain comprehension.
If you want me to go further, I will need to charge you tuition.

.... sudden desire to watch Legally Blonde ....

edit on 10-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

That is where the parent steps in. Schools are great; we have a chance to get an education. Parents are there to help teach their children. You cannot rely solely on one or the other. The home school parents still have a curriculum to follow.

Raist

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

That is where the parent steps in. Schools are great; we have a chance to get an education. Parents are there to help teach their children. You cannot rely solely on one or the other. The home school parents still have a curriculum to follow.

Raist

Agreed, and in this case I seriously doubt there would be any objection by the school for the student to be homeschooled if they so desire

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

But teaching about the "contributions of gay people" to our society is? Who decides what is "age appropriate?" Are you the decider?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by Annee

But teaching about the "contributions of gay people" to our society is? Who decides what is "age appropriate?" Are you the decider?

Sometimes it is necessary to undo/prevent the hatred and bigotry of what is encouraged by individuals based on prejudice so as to not be a detriment to society at large

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

The parents.

It is up to the parents to decide when their child is old enough for different teachings.

Raist

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is really annoying and I hope it isn't true.

Your sister didn't do anything wrong, you did. You should cut her a break - I mean jesus what 10 year old wants to be told '"fool, stop celebrating Christmas, its a pagan occult holiday", "you can't handle the truth", "aliens this", "JFK that" - she's a kid. Leave her alone.

Whose to say you're right anyway? You? Ok, that doesn't make it so.

Sounds like you just contradict everything anyone else tells her, thinking you're some sort of messiah. Cut her a break and chill out.

You're seriously surprised the teacher finds it weird that every time she mentions the statue of liberty, one of the kids stats spouting off about it being a pagan ritualistic monument? It's like having David Icke's kid in your class.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join