It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Earthquakes Within a Week Recorded in East Tennessee

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 08051962

Hello Oateofivewonineseckstoo, (lol, couldn't resist the challenge)

Thanks for your post. Although it seems I am not geographically far from your region, I do not hear lots of the news about St. Louis or even Memphis.

I am not sure if you notice it, but it almost seems as Memphis is part of a different stat than Tennessee... Well, I guess it would be different for you and Knoxville or Johnson City/Bristol would probably seem like part of a different state.

Personally, I have never experienced a noticeable Earthquake, but from what I understand, a 4.0 is capable of producing noticeable movement and even damage to the areas it hits. I don't believe St. Louis is real far from Memphis, so I believe you when you say you noticed it.

I hope you never have to experience 'The Big One' from the New Madrid Fault. I am no expert, but have read in some places that the New Madrid could be responsible for an Earthquake unlike any experienced in the USA before it.

Has Memphis prepared for this possibility through the construction of the city's buildings and homes? I hope there has been some care taken to make the population as safe as can be.

I do hope the recent attention given to the quakes in this area is not indicative of what lies in wait over the next weeks and months.

Stay safe and please, update us with anything new you learn, I would appreciate that a lot.

thanks again for your post.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

esteay812.... Not sure if you caught this one, but another small quake in Maryville yesterday, a 2.1.

Magnitude
Date-Time
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 at 22:40:07 UTC
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 at 06:40:07 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
8.7 km (5.4 miles)
Region
EASTERN TENNESSEE
Distances
10 km (6 miles) SW (215°) from Maryville, TN
12 km (7 miles) ENE (78°) from Greenback, TN
12 km (8 miles) SE (137°) from Friendsville, TN
34 km (21 miles) SSW (195°) from Knoxville, TN
216 km (134 miles) N (9°) from Atlanta, GA
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 1.1 km (0.7 miles); depth +/- 2.4 km (1.5 miles)
Parameters
NST= 10, Nph= 17, Dmin=14 km, Rmss=0.12 sec, Gp=119°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=A
Source
Southeast U.S. Seismic Network
Event ID
se060612b
USGS

Not unusual, but since it is along the same line I figured I would add it.

OiO

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I had the pleasure of growing up in east Tennessee, Knoxville specifically. I also have family in Maryville, Sevierville, Dandridge and Lenoir City. I remember my grandparents talking about feeling small earthquakes through the years, and mentioning a fault line near Chilhowee (in Blount County). When I would go with my grandfather to look at campers and RV's near Chilhowee, for whatever reason I would feel nervous in that area. I was too young to realize what a fault line was, but I do remember feeling so uneasy there. Those mountains are beautiful, but they were born of cataclysmic forces under that surface at some point.

Funny that someone should mention it....We always joke that East TN and West TN should have been two different states, they are vastly different in terrain and culture.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by pasiphae

I absolutely agree with you.

If there is a link that can be found, and proved as fact, between any of these things, it would definitely signal a great change.

I have no idea what the consequences of such changes could be, but I would bet that they are not changes for the better.

Thinking about this a bit, I wondered what the interior of our planet looks like? I mean, obviously, we pump massive amounts of oil from the interior of our home and have no real idea of what can happen as a result.

What does happen when such large quantities are extracted for such a long period of time, in locations all around the globe?

Are giant reservoirs, once filled by crude oil, now immense empty cavities? If there are giant cavities under the crust, what could result from this? Could they collapse from the weight they are trying to support?

Could massive flows of air roar through the cavities, as streams of air flows from one opening to another? Could such an airflow possibly be responsible for the strange, low-pass frequency, sound phenomena heard around the world in the recent past?

Could these immense cavities somehow effect the weather on the surface, making it cooler, warmer, or even causing less temperature variation from season to season - like a change of the insulating properties?

How long does it take for the Earth to replenish the supply of crude? When the oil is extracted, do the cavities fill with some other substance, where they are not left simply 'hollow'?

Petroleum is extracted from underground sandy rock. It starts out in the spaces between the sand, not a cavity. It is replaced by water (heavier than oil) as the oil is extracted.
edit on 7-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Hello 1is1! Thanks for the post, I hadn't seen it... or felt it. I am suprised we didn't hear something about it, but it must have gone largely unreported.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Hi from middle TN. I'm not surprised you can notice smaller quakes in this region. The ground structure contributes to that. Also, continental plates came together in East TN, creating the Appalachians. If they're still settling, I can see that causing some eq's.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by winotka

I agree, it shouldn't be out of the ordinary to feel quakes in this regions, or just about any region on Earth really. However, they are really rare and this may just be a slow time for local news, so they are announcing things that may otherwise be abandoned.

Maybe there is even a deeper conspiracy at play... One where the media is pushing this into our consciousness so that an upcoming event may not seem so sudden or lead to deep questions from the community as to what may have been the real source to the disaster, other than nature itself

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by 08051962

Hello Oateofivewonineseckstoo, (lol, couldn't resist the challenge)

Thanks for your post. Although it seems I am not geographically far from your region, I do not hear lots of the news about St. Louis or even Memphis.

I am not sure if you notice it, but it almost seems as Memphis is part of a different stat than Tennessee... Well, I guess it would be different for you and Knoxville or Johnson City/Bristol would probably seem like part of a different state.

Personally, I have never experienced a noticeable Earthquake, but from what I understand, a 4.0 is capable of producing noticeable movement and even damage to the areas it hits. I don't believe St. Louis is real far from Memphis, so I believe you when you say you noticed it.

I hope you never have to experience 'The Big One' from the New Madrid Fault. I am no expert, but have read in some places that the New Madrid could be responsible for an Earthquake unlike any experienced in the USA before it.

Has Memphis prepared for this possibility through the construction of the city's buildings and homes? I hope there has been some care taken to make the population as safe as can be.

I do hope the recent attention given to the quakes in this area is not indicative of what lies in wait over the next weeks and months.

Stay safe and please, update us with anything new you learn, I would appreciate that a lot.

thanks again for your post.

Haha hi there!

I believe St. Louis is a 5-6 hour drive. (I've never been up there but MANY people in Memphis are actually from St. Louis or have family up there. Either there or Florida. Not sure what that's about *shrugs*)

Yes, Memphis has been doing some reinforcements on those old historic buildings downtown but a lot of us residents live in old brick buildings... and reinforcing buildings is apparently very pricey. Most people here, I think, would not be able to pay out of pocket.

And I read an estimate that the New Madrid quake (the big one) will be a 9.0 ... which will be like nothing the US has ever seen before.

Here's a good documentary and much of it is centered around Memphis, and the New Madrid faultline:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I don't know how easy it is to find out there is/had been fracking close to the New Madrid, as far as conspiracies go. Natural resources are great to have in our own backyard, unless they can't be safely tapped into.

Were the beautiful geodes also formed in AR because of the New Madrid? I can't remember how long they took to be created.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join