It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copyright board to charge for music at weddings, parades

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Copyright board to charge for music at weddings, parades

www.cbc.ca

Money can't buy love — but if you want some great tunes playing at your wedding, it's going to cost you.

The Copyright Board of Canada has certified new tariffs that apply to recorded music used at live events including conventions, karaoke bars, ice shows, fairs and, yes, weddings. The fees will be collected by a not-for-profit called Re:Sound

While the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (otherwise known as SOCAN) already collects money from many of these events
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
So I guess buying the CD or the album off of Itunes isn't enough (if anyone still actually does that). This is an obvious money grabbing scheme by the music industry.

I like how they say that this is a non profit group that is representing the record labels and performers. That's kind of ironic because record labels and performers exist strictly for profit so to call this group "non profit" is a bit funny if you ask me.

Just when you thought weddings couldn't get anymore expensive. On a positive note, I hate karaoke anyways so hopefully this will mean less karaoke.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If Canadians are happy to be forced to pay to hear music that has already been paid for, let them.

Otherwise, set fire to your parliament as a warning.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
No wonder, the more people pirate and steal music, the more ways to make money back will the record industry create.
It happens because of the poor idiots who think they have a right and deserve to own music without paying for it

Besides, since basically forver, it is stated on every Vinyl and CD that you're not allowed to publicly broadcast the music and you do that at a wedding.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Excellent, if not predictable, find!

Of course, the problem is precisely what it has been all along... perpetual ownership of creative 'intellectual' property by third party businessmen...

Unless someone can tell me that there are artists who have actually come forward to state that they will not have their music played at weddings and other such events unless they are paid for it.

Imagine the hubris involved - "I have produced 'art' - wanna hear it? - PAY FIRST - you remember it? Then pay again!"

edit on 1-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well, in many countries such obligations from wedding bands are already in place.

You people do realize, everytime you sing "Happy Birthday" for someone, especially on the party, you infringe intellectual property of Warner Bros? Talkin bout being a criminal and not knowing it ;]
edit on 1-6-2012 by stainlesssteelrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

I myself would not be happy to pay these fees.

As for burning our Parliament, no comment

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I agree that this is just ridiculous.

I'm hoping that some prominent artists and executives will publicly speak out against this. My guess is that if this becomes known to the general public, it may lead to more and more people boycotting the music industry due to their greed and constant attempts to control the use of their material.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Yeah they are going the way of countries in Europe.

Here in Spain I have to pay 150 Euros just to have music playing. They collect money for royalties but NEVER give that money to the artists. How can they? They don't charge me for a particular song, just for having music playing. I know of people being told they can't play a radio in places like hair salons and such because they don't pay like bars do for music rights. On top of that I need a permit to have "amplified" music. Yeah a radio with SPEAKERS consists of amplified music to them. An everyday radio. I guess I have to plug the radio into my ass and sing for it to be legal. What do they want...more money. YEP. 250 Euros for that permit on top of what I already spent.

It is theft. THAT IS WHY I PIRATE EVERYTHING. If you are Microsoft, I will rob you. If you are part of the music industry that started this whole mess of internet strangling, I will rob you. WHY? Because everyone robs me now thanks to you. so, F U.

F them. They charge me for everything except pissing. I will rob them every chance I get. Call me what you will except a sucker.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
You know there was a post here on ATS along time ago... talking about this same exact thing.. it went something along the lines of this..(I searched for it but couldn't find it... cause it was a few yrs ago when the RIAA was in full swing of suing people left and right.)

Anyway.. These people driving down the road listening to the radio and it was a tad loud, it can be heard for about 25 ft or so.. anyway long story short they get fined for not paying a license to play that music..
Anyway it went into bit more detail but this story here is so ironic to that its almost funny.. really it isnt but.... DAMN We seen this coming a mile away...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Just tell them to f*ck off and play your music, simple as that.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Citybig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Next, they'll try to charge you when you get some annoying song stuck in your head and it plays over and over.

As for burning down your parliment building...

Just be careful you don't play that too loud or you'll have to pay a fee for broadcasting it publicly.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
thats why if I do get married, it won't be some huge thing, and i'll be playing MY OWN music for FREE.

honestly I could remix every song I wanted to hear anyways LOL. for FREEEEE
edit on 1-6-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

This is already law in the US, but it can't be enforced. Who is going to drive around and go to all the weddings and enforce it?

We have BMG/BMI and Muzak, and maybe another couple of "music mafias" that are supposed to enforce broadcast music, and they visited my establishment once and tried to act like they were important. They even used the term "music mafia" like it was supposed to be intimidating.
I told them to get out and come back with a lawyer or an LEO, and I never heard from them again.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I wish I could do that here. I tried to act indifferent but they were just like "hey, you can close if you want" I had to do a whole song and dance.

Yeah my other licenses would be revoked and I couldn't sell even a cup of coffee. My mafia representatives come from city hall.

on a side note, I visited them later and basically laid down all my Jedi mind tricks and convinced them that as soon as they left I could put the speakers back up, and that in fact when they came it would be alright to just say I was about to take them down.

The trick is playing off their unwillingness to enforce the law. They essentially don't believe in the law. Someone who works in and around the legal system is prone to want to complete his task like anyone reaffirming their purpose in the world would. I showed them that by actually enforcing this law they were violating their "purpose".

I wasn't surprised when they all got onboard and agreed that when they visit my place for my next inspection, they would not come in the same capacity. They would protect my right to play music like any normal person has since its invention.

All our "adversaries" are human. Just play off that if your ever in a similar situation.

Honesty and a touch of gusto go along way with surreal law enforcement. It's all about first reaction. If they never experienced that particular reaction from a person they will let it pass so they can figure you out later. Like with these two gentlemen from city hall music mafia. I just walked into their office and flared up speaking quickly about "taking down speakers and that they might as well take all my silverware as well". I then looked at them ,smiled, sat down and introduced myself to the one that I could tell didn't remember me.

It was Jedi showdown thereafter. so, I will not apply for said expensive BS license. I will continue to use conventional music systems to AMPLIFY my music. Yes amplify it so I can hear it with SPEAKERS.

Sorry, that was kind of a rant.

It just makes hulk mad.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 1-6-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

You are exactly right! Every government employee just wants to keep their job, complete their task, and get it off their books so they can go on to the next one and stay out of trouble. Jedi-mind-tricks work wonderfully against us.
(I work for the state govt by the way.)

Every now and then you get that anal-retentive bastard that takes their job WAY too seriously, but they can usually be controlled by appealing to their boss. Their boss knows they are troublesome, and the boss doesn't want any extra work, so they will redirect them to something more rewarding.

Nice job!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Such a shame people can't find suitable music for events or public venues released under CC-BY-(SA-NC) over at Soundcloud or CCmixter... Or even go to Archive.org's public domain catalog in the audio section...

Nope not any good music at all there...

Having some printed playlists around with artist credits available for anyone interested must be much more expensive than any RIAA or similar license.

If it's not being pushed ubiquitously on broadcast radio 24-7, who wants to play it?

No, no sarcasm at all.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
ASCAP has been at it for many years here in the U.S.
They are nothing more than a door to door shakedown team, and few people actually pay them.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Lets see the copyright board go to a wedding in inner city Detroit and try to charge money for the music that gives those poor people a little joy in their lives. I would pay money to see that situation go down.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Finally LIVE MUSIC at the BISTRO' is back,,,,
can u say,,,
Hank Williams
The Beatles in Germany
for two

us old guys better start praticing again

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join