It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics' Green Lantern is now gay

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Citybig

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
reply to post by Carseller4

Kids don't even read comics anymore. I once read that over 50% of those who buy DC comics are between 13 and 35 and there's also quita a large percentage of people between 36 and 55 years old. So they're not a problem.

Besides, you don't 'become' gay and you certainly don't think "Oh, my favourite comic book hero is gay, so i will be gay too". Either you are bisexual, hetero or gay from the very beginning.

And i don't know what's the problem is. Just because ONE comic book hero is Gay now doesn't mean it's the end of the world.
I think it's great, that humanity starts to get more modern and more open to different lifeforms.

Sorry, but you are just completely wrong. Children DO see things on the television or in comics, and yes they DO think "Well X does this so I must do it as well so I can be cool like X", whether or not you become or are born gay is completely unimportant, the fact is, young people do not need to be exposed to that lifestyle.

What happens behind closed doors between two adults should stay there, especially homosexuality. There is no need for people to see that.

There is as much need for children to see homosexuality as there is for them to see heterosexuality. Both are normal and both should be understood. Why should homosexual sex be kept soley within the confines of the bedroom when heterosexual sex is blatantly plastered all around kids? Some of them may be inherently homosexual and this would affect them quite negatively but enforcing a belief that they're sick and wrong for something that not only do they not understand, by have no control over.

Some of those kids will kill themselves.

I hope you're not indirectly advocating they should?

edit on 1-6-2012 by Garfee because: Spelling error.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I know everyone has said it, but it's not Hal Jordan, AKA the most famous Green Lantern ever. Alan Scott is not a Green Lantern Corpsman. His power is magical, not technological/willpowered. Anyway, he has always looked "gay" lol.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Oh man...the one step-son is gonna be...he has been to "Comic-cons" as the Green Lantern...can't wait to hear his rant!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
And here I thought Justin Timberlake was the first gay super hero.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It never crossed my mind what the orientation of a comic book hero was until the homosexuals got a hero of their very own!

The Homosexuals are just so special, so victimized, and so mentally fragile that they need this too? How so very special for them... Special people with special needs is the best way to describe this group of people I guess.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
So that's why Scott's weakness is wood.

Now That's Funny!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Do you guys think illuminati is trying to turn as many ppl as they can gay? If kids see men kissing men and all that they're gonna think its ok to do it and will want to experiment ...aren't they kinda glamorizing to be gay? A kid sees his favorite super hero doin "gay" things he/shell be like hey I wanna try that or do it like him...this will have a major impact on kids no doubt

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thooper hero.
They only did it to meet a quota.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by buster2010
Batman was a pedo.

Actually, there's no suggestion of sex here at all. There was a time when it was possible for two people to sleep next to each other, without it being automatically assumed that sex was involved.

The main reason why that has changed, is because of the homosexual assumption that celibacy or asexuality is unthinkable. Gays seem incapable of avoiding any opportunity for implying homosexuality, anywhere they can find it.

You're probably not old enough to remember Dr Frederic Wertham, author of a book titled Seduction Of The Innocent:

From that Wikipedia article: Seduction of the Innocent is a book by German-American psychiatrist Fredric Wertham, published in 1954, that warned that comic books were a negative form of popular literature and a serious cause of juvenile delinquency. The book was a minor bestseller that created alarm in parents and galvanized them to campaign for censorship. At the same time, a U.S. Congressional inquiry was launched into the comic book industry. Subsequent to the publication of Seduction of the Innocent, the Comics Code Authority was voluntarily established by publishers to self-censor their titles.

He had something to say about Batman & Robin in particular:

From the Wikipedia article: In Seduction of the Innocent, Fredric Wertham claimed, "The Batman type of story may stimulate children to homosexual fantasies, of the nature of which they may be unconscious" and "Only someone ignorant of the fundamentals of psychiatry and of the psychopathology of sex can fail to realize a subtle atmosphere of homoeroticism which pervades the adventures of the mature 'Batman' and his young friend Robin." This book was issued in the context of the "lavender scare" where authorities regarded homosexuality as a security risk.

Incidentally, during this same time period, you never saw any TV husband & wife comedy team sleeping in the same bed, either. Think of Lucy & Desi, & others... yup, twin beds. The idea was that if you saw them in the same bed, you might imagine them (gasp!) having a nice time or something.
edit on 6/1/12 by BuzzCory because: hit "post" instead of "preview" dammit

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

i take it you have never read a comic from dc or marvel in the last 15 years.
neither are for kids anymore they are on the level of r rated movies, vertigo and image are x rated and indies are even worse.
they make how comics were before the comics code nearly killed the medium like childs play, difference is, now people don't care.

i love how people who have no clue about comics have the gall to pass judgement, claiming they are for kids so they shouldn't talk about serious issues.
even though they have been for well over 80 years.
i expected no less that there would be more gay superheros soon, given how well the comics confronted other issues over time.

impressive how small minded and bigoted the thread got though, impressively sad.

link   

Originally posted by Shred
It won't be received in a positive manner. Game developer Bioware made the mistake of putting homosexual romance into one of their most anticipated games ever and the fans went ballistic.

“This game is a slap in the face to those who have been there since day 1”

“What the hell were they thinking? Putting gay scenes into video games? If I wanted political messages, I’d watch the news. I do NOT want games becoming yet another medium for propaganda”

Entertainers should always think twice before messing with the majority of their audience to cater for a minority of a few percent.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. It is time the majority speaks loud enough to be heard as well, without the fear of being labeled a homophobe or something similiar. When someone labels me for not being down with "all that," I just see them as name calling bullies. Don't get me wrong, I won't bash them for being the way they are, they can't help it (their words not mine) if they are naturally altered from the majority. That's why I would abandon a family member over it. When it comes to those I don't know, I don't have to give them the "thumbs up" because truthfully, I don't care enough about a stranger to tell him how to live. I can only choose what I allow into my life and my relationships. No gavel here.

link   
marvels gay super hero is way cooler

hmm and i think to myself, why is it hard for some in this thread to just skip the homosexual content in mass effect 3? its like, you guys hated it, but initiated the romance in game through its entirety, where as i have played through twice and have had barely a hint towards it in either game, so tell me (willy wonka look) why not ignore it if it bothers you? im just not getting it.
edit on 1-6-2012 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Why does sexual orientation need to be discussed in a comic book?
Childhood is so fleeting why end the innocence before it's time?
I wannabee just like Green Lantern when I grow up!!!!

Justin Timberlake is gay?? Well, now it will be little boys screaming at the concerts, I guess.

Why is it necessary to share your sexual orientation with the world

Call me old-fashioned. Nothing is left to the imagination anymore and there is too much information going around.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady

It's not. But when it is assumed that everyone is heterosexual, a child who is inately homosexual will feel as though there is something wrong with them when there isn't at least a minor exposure to the concept that a homosexual can be respected and admired just as much.

It may help them when they're older because they won't feel so isolated and despised.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Green Lantern was black in the Justice League cartoon. I guess hes the token minority character

Check out Cyborg in the Justice League....he's a staple of the team.

And a self constructed superhero of technology...Supergenius

He's not self constructed. He was in a bad accident and his father turned him into cyborg to save his life. Now he just keeps upgrading his fathers work. But you are right he is a super-genius and the world's leading expert in interdimensional travel.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Warner bros. owns DC comics so, as the c o n spiracy goes the gays and Jews run hollywood, lol!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
NDCU sucks.

Warped character profiles from superman to green lantern.

What a joke.

Marvel might be trying to gimmick comics, no doubt. But this ridiculousness is the most obvious "character change" since Xavier to justify Cyclops current roll as lead of the "X-Men" (though, at least they offered back story to justify it).

Green Lantern, the once know womanizer, even pedophile, now a homosexual? WTF DC? I would've bought:

Batman
Wonderwoman
Flash

But Hal?

What a joke.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Childhood is so fleeting why end the innocence before it's time?
I wannabee just like Green Lantern when I grow up!!!!

Justin Timberlake is gay?? Well, now it will be little boys screaming at the concerts, I guess.

Call me old-fashioned. Nothing is left to the imagination anymore and there is too much information going around.

Comics have always been on the cutting edge of social issues. The book they put out after 9/11 was an excellent book. They have covered just about everything from drug usage to people dying with cancer. That's why the comic code was invented to control what they covered in comics.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join