It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics' Green Lantern is now gay

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Why does sexual orientation need to be discussed in a comic book?

Why is it necessary to share your sexual orientation with the world

It's not. But when it is assumed that everyone is heterosexual, a child who is inately homosexual will feel as though there is something wrong with them when there isn't at least a minor exposure to the concept that a homosexual can be respected and admired just as much.

It may help them when they're older because they won't feel so isolated and despised.

That is a really good point, took the thought right out of my head. And almost all superheroes have a love interest, so it is more then implied. I have read comics since I was young, and knew I was different from real young. Maybe if I could have related to one of my comics I wouldn't have thought I was weird!
edit on 6/1/2012 by Djayed because: I am more of a math guy....

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lasr1oftheJedi
NDCU sucks.

Warped character profiles from superman to green lantern.

What a joke.

Marvel might be trying to gimmick comics, no doubt. But this ridiculousness is the most obvious "character change" since Xavier to justify Cyclops current roll as lead of the "X-Men" (though, at least they offered back story to justify it).

Green Lantern, the once know womanizer, even pedophile, now a homosexual? WTF DC? I would've bought:

Batman
Wonderwoman
Flash

But Hal?

What a joke.

It's not Hal it's Alan Scott the lantern from earth 2.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Childhood is so fleeting why end the innocence before it's time?
I wannabee just like Green Lantern when I grow up!!!!

Justin Timberlake is gay?? Well, now it will be little boys screaming at the concerts, I guess.

Call me old-fashioned. Nothing is left to the imagination anymore and there is too much information going around.

Comics have always been on the cutting edge of social issues. The book they put out after 9/11 was an excellent book. They have covered just about everything from drug usage to people dying with cancer. That's why the comic code was invented to control what they covered in comics.

Thanks for sharing. You know I must be ancient, because when I was a girl that wasn't the case. I'm older than always.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This is a bunch of crap and it is nothing but being politically correct so someone want to tell me what is the point ?

A bunch of kids who haven't even hit puberty yet get's a dose of this/

Yeah and what bout Ryan Reynold's girlfriend in the movie?

Talk about inconsistency.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
n/m
edit on 1-6-2012 by Lasr1oftheJedi because: stupidity on my part.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

It's not. But when it is assumed that everyone is heterosexual, a child who is inately homosexual will feel as though there is something wrong with them when there isn't at least a minor exposure to the concept that a homosexual can be respected and admired just as much.

It may help them when they're older because they won't feel so isolated and despised.

I get your point. Is Green Lantern a good guy? I think I just read that he was a womanizer and a pedophile. If so any kid with homosexual tendencies that has followed his history might be more warped than aided.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
reply to post by KnawLick

Actually it's 10-15%

And. Child idolizing a gay man won't make him want to be gay. Anymore than idolizing a black hero makes a kid want to be black

Your theory is invalid

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Are you people trolling? It has been said numerous times in this thread that they are NOT, I repeat NOT talking about Hal Jordan or any of the Green Lantern Corpsmen. They are talking about Alan Scott, who is a different hero altogether.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

In the movie he played Hal Jordan not Alan Scott who is now gay.

People wouldn't be getting this confused if they had just made Kilowog gay.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by IpsissimusMagus

Funny as that was, black and gay are different - you know that right?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Well millions just watched the Green Lantern movie and never had the pleasure of reading the comics, they do not have the benefit of ATS making the distinction for them.

edit on 1-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeppers, I agree.
I think I and much many more will see the green lantern symbol hand in hand with the rainbow flag.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This doesn't bother me a bit.

I always new comic book "super heroes" were gay.

As a kid I refused to read anything other than:

Conan
Savage Sword of Conan
Conan Saga
SGT Rock

So this is no big loss to me or anyone I know. I say out them all and then we won't have to worry about comic book conventions anymore.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by neo96

Are you people trolling? It has been said numerous times in this thread that they are NOT, I repeat NOT talking about Hal Jordan or any of the Green Lantern Corpsmen. They are talking about Alan Scott, who is a different hero altogether.

Ok so hal is from earth, "our" earth and alan is from earth2 an other world I guess.
So just one of the green lanterns is gay, not ours.
I guess you could say that DC has in effect thrown the gay community a bone?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
Doesn't it seem like DC is just throwing a gay character out there just to have one?

Obama Approves This Message

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I would be interested to know how Green Lantern Comic book sales have been doing as of late ?

Let's not kid ourselves , they are in the business of selling comics , they are an industry .

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I can already hear Ryan Reynolds go...

"Say what ???"

Adapting comics to modern times.

Not me. I can hear Ryan Reynold's say, "Cool!" Frankly, I thought he played a very effeminate Green Lantern and I thought he was a poor casting choice for the role. After having that opinion of Reynold's portrayal of the character, reading this thread is making me snort Pepsi out of my friggin' nose.

Oh, the irony.....

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
Doesn't it seem like DC is just throwing a gay character out there just to have one?

Obama Approves This Message

WOW!!!!!

They remove a cartoon image of Obama as the Kool-Aid Man in a thread the other day, but this one is allowed to stay.....Priceless!!!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

This doesn't bother me a bit. I always new comic book "super heroes" were gay. As a kid I refused to read anything other than: Conan Savage Sword of Conan Conan Saga SGT Rock So this is no big loss to me or anyone I know. I say out them all and then we won't have to worry about comic book conventions anymore.

LMAO! 200Plus, no need to prove your manliness to us by denouncing comic book heroes and declaring devotion only to Conan.....

But remember, just because a fictional "hero" doesn't wear tights and a cape does not mean he is devoid of any gay tendencies.

Next to come out of the closet will be Captain America....no doubt in my mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join