It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible believers can you explain this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Ok God says "You shall worship no other god for I your god am a jealous god" but then gives his commandments out with basically don't be jealous of people...it does seem hypocritical doesn't it?
Also by God saying this is he/she/it admitting there are other Gods?
Cheers all

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

"Do not worship other gods" follows logically from "there are no other gods".
Because if other gods do not exist, anyone who worships them is worshipping something which is not there.
That would be stupid, yes?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Ok God says "You shall worship no other god for I your god am a jealous god" but then gives his commandments out with basically don't be jealous of people...it does seem hypocritical doesn't it?
Cheers all

I should have known that it would take someone named Boymonkey to bring down the entire Judeo-Christian faith. Good job Jedi Knight...truly, the poop throwing is strong with this one.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
i just read the title and i knew the answer was "no"

watch it go
V V V V V

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Not to Hindu's
they have some super cool God's like Hanuman en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

Heck fella I just want to know what people think about it because it had me wondering why God said it, so I made a thread Iam not throwing poop at anyone.....I do that at Man U fans

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

My answer to your question still stands.
I have shown why "Do not worship other gods" does not imply "other gods exist"
Because if you think they don't exist, that is the best reason possible for not worshipping them.

edit on 31-5-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
hello monkey boy still think apes are your brothers? you won't get a straight answer to your question from the gun toting bible thumping bunch they are like there text the bible contradicting, hypocritical, and incomplete the only answer that makes sense by today's standard (not 3000 years ago) is this

edit on 31-5-2012 by gaurdian2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2012 by gaurdian2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Yeah thanks dude

My post to yours was a little tongue in cheek

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

My interpretation is that the Hindu people look to those gods as an example of the path to God, i.e they exemplify divine qualities.
(Similar to Christians saying that the way to the Lord is through Jesus Christ.)
In my understanding that means that one shouldn't worship these deities, but use them as a 'role-model' (I wish I could think of a better word, but you catch my drift)

It's like loving your favourite sport, and having a favourite sport's player who exemplifies everything you love about the sport.

There is only one 'divine', but many people remind us that it is possible to incorporate more divine qualities in our life. So we should love the game, and respect the players for reinforcing your love, not the other way around, yes?
edit on 31-5-2012 by dyllels because: grammar

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Not that I am here to argue semantics but I believe what God said was "You shall have no other God before me and worship no other god before me. For I am a jealous God."

In my opinion, God has never stated that their are no others "Gods" to be worshiped but that worshiping another God makes him angry, spiteful and jealous. What a petty God, eh?

I agree with you boymonkey. Although I can think of alot more controversial God quotes than the one that you have stated.

For God said "For their is no Adam to till the land. Let US make them in OUR Image and after OUR likeness."

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Ooooooh thats a good one, Heck maybe it was the translation? but OUR image does implie there is more than one God.
Cheers fella

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gaurdian2012

Once again it's boymonkey.....Heck at least I can spell Guardian lol
Also yes they are our evolutionary brothers.
edit on 31-5-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's one of the things I have trouble reconciling with. Especially because one of the big seven deadly sins is Jealousy. So I've always wanted to know why it's okay for God to be jealous and not anybody else. The only answer I really get is because might makes right and you don't want to piss off God for he will smack you down and smack you down hard.

Which of course doesn't sit well with me because on the other hand God is supposed to be a kind and loving God.

So if he was a kind and loving God, why would he be jealous and smack you down?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I'm not really a religious guy, and I'm sure many on this board are far more knowledgeable than I am, but I've also been concerned about that particular paradox.

I think we can look at it this way: Even jealousy, the act itself, is a gift from God. BUT clinging on to jealousy is similar to personifying, or over-gratifying that particular emotion while ignoring the very fabric upon which it is weaved.
You know what I'm saying?

If we are doing that, we are missing the bigger picture. There will be obstacles in our own spiritual path if we can't see the forest for the trees. So it's not so much that 'he will smack you down', but rather that we ourselves will take a step back.
In my mind, I think of it more like a friendly reminder than a punishment; a subtle reminder that there are short paths, as well as long paths?
edit on 31-5-2012 by dyllels because: sp

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

thats nothing man...

How about "thou shall not kill"....

Yet who is "apparently" responsible for more deaths in the bible then any other?

OT God...

I believe he was another entity posing as God to people that didn't know any better...

NOT the true God

edit on 31-5-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Then I have a question as well. And it's just a question. I'm not bashing anything but my head against the wall

Why are Chritains right and all other religions wrong? Same goes for every other religion.
edit on 31-5-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Cheers all

The church answer is that he is speaking of "things" as gods. Like worshiping money, lust, etc.

But, yeah, there are other gods as illustrated by that commandment and several times in Genesis. Taking this idea as it is written would destroy the Christian church though because the old god specifically tells you not to worship another god like, I don't know... maybe Jesus? Making up a "holy trinity" sort of absolves them of this.

The bible is definitely not about only one god or even one religion.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

thats nothing man...

How about "thou shall not kill"....

Yet who is "apparently" responsible for more deaths in the bible then any other?

Next time you cut your fingernails, concentrate on exactly what is happening to your body as the clippings fall to the floor. While they are ripped from their home, one can imagine them yelling, "What.. right.. do you have?!"

Sorry, just an interesting parable someone shared with me a while back. No offense obviously

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dyllels

did you slap said person for giving such a retarded parallel?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join