It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible believers can you explain this?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Ok God says "You shall worship no other god for I your god am a jealous god" but then gives his commandments out with basically don't be jealous of people...it does seem hypocritical doesn't it?

Look at the context in which the word jealousy is used in different verses in the bible. In the verse you are referencing here, the word is similar to the same jealousy one might feel for a spouse. In other verses, the connotation is that of envy and covetousness, which inevitably leads to strife.

Also by God saying this is he/she/it admitting there are other Gods?

The bible insinuates that Satan is the god of this world. But it also references other things, such as idols, statues, and anything else a Christian could potentially put before God. God does say in some places that certain gods are no gods at all. Other places, he is referencing Satan, his minions, and even men who accept worship as gods.

So god doesn't deny the existence of other gods. But rather he asserts his ownership over his creation.

edit on 5/31/2012 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by dyllels

did you slap said person for giving such a retarded parallel?

But of course! But I also scratched his cheek, because my nails were long... then everything clicked

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Do not worship other gods before me does indeed admit there are other gods. Otherwise he would have said do not worship nonexistent gods, or do not worship the fake gods others worship. If people worshipped things that werent god then they wouldnt be worshiping gods at all they would be worshiping nothing But he clearly says do not worship other gods... This is a fairy tale like the rest of them though so the point is irrelevant

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think it's safe to presuppose that God didn't write the bible.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
There is only One Whole/all/everything. All religons and science is just humans trying to explain the whole with different names and dogmas that suit them. Some view would be more right than others but probably far off anyway
. But the theme thru religons seem to be lose your ego, be humble and see beyond a duality viewpoints.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There are many religion before Christianity, Christianity is too young compared to older religions, so whoever created Christianity will write down saying that you should not believe any other god other than the one he is writing down on this book.

yeah yeah.. "he meant non existent god" bible believers will modify to whatever suits the current way of thinking in order to prove the book of absolute facts.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Ok God says "You shall worship no other god for I your god am a jealous god" but then gives his commandments out with basically don't be jealous of people...it does seem hypocritical doesn't it?
Cheers all

1. Other gods: "Mammon" can be loosely translated into anything that one places ahead of our Father in worship ie money, self, a president, knowledge, angels, etc etc. These idols neither see, nor hear; not in the manner of our Father and our Father is yet One and Only. That being said.....

2. Hypocrisy: By scripture we understand that Adam and Eve wanted to be like God and thus took of the tree of the "knowledge of good and evil" in order to achieve such. This means there is a knowledge unique to the Godhead not meant for us. Let me explain what I mean:

I ask myself, why should I not be jealous? The answer I hear inside is that nothing belongs to me and thus my jealousy is rather inordinate and unrighteous but when I consider our Creator, I discern a quality unique to the One to whom all things belong. He would certainly have the right to exercise jealousy and would do so in righteousness.

So, if there is this unique knowledge appropriate only for God and rather inordinate for us then this, i deduce, means that "hypocrisy" would be the wrong understanding of what is actually going on here.

What would I call it? Divinity ie the ability to exercise all things in righteousness according to Godliness.

edit on 31-5-2012 by HeFrippedMeOff because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by boymonkey74

My answer to your question still stands.
I have shown why "Do not worship other gods" does not imply "other gods exist"
Because if you think they don't exist, that is the best reason possible for not worshipping them.

You have not shown that "Do not worship other gods" does not imply "other gods exist". Just saying "no other gods exists" is a red herring. You need to demonstrate that your God is the only god first.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81
Just saying "no other gods exists" is a red herring. You need to demonstrate that your God is the only god first.

No I don't, because I was not setting out to show that the Biblical statements were true. I was giving myself the more modest task of showing that they were self-consistent.
My point was simply that the premise "there are no other gods" was logically compatible with the premise "other gods should not be worshipped". Whether the premises are true is a separate question.

edit on 31-5-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Cheers all

Oh sure there are other gods. Want to see what they are?

Jeremiah 10: 3-5

3 For the customs of the peoples are futile;
For one cuts a tree from the forest,
The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
They fasten it with nails and hammers
So that it will not topple.
5 They are upright, like a palm tree,
And they cannot speak;
They must be carried,
Because they cannot go by themselves.
Do not be afraid of them,
For they cannot do evil,
Nor can they do any good.”

Also:

Jeremiah 10:8-9

8 But they are altogether dull-hearted and foolish;
A wooden idol is a worthless doctrine.
9 Silver is beaten into plates;
It is brought from Tarshish,
And gold from Uphaz,
The work of the craftsman
And of the hands of the metalsmith;
Blue and purple are their clothing;
They are all the work of skillful men

Here's the other gods. Here's the moongod Allah:

Here's Allah's wife the Sungoddess Ishtar/Inanna, she's got alot of names, also called Libertas by the Romans:

Yep, just think everytime you watch a ball game on tv and they sing the anthem and everyone stands up, or on the 4th of July, everyone stands up and puts their hands over their hearts while images of the giant idol of Ishtar is flashed in front of your eyes. Does she look more familiar now? The Statue of Liberty. People in the Hoboken N.J. and Long Island N.Y. have to look at this bitch everyday and they don't even know what it is.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by HeFrippedMeOff

Cheers all

1. Other gods: "Mammon" can be loosely translated into anything that one places ahead of our Father in worship ie money, self, a president, knowledge, angels, etc etc. These idols neither see, nor hear; not in the manner of our Father and our Father is yet One and Only. That being said.....

2. Hypocrisy: By scripture we understand that Adam and Eve wanted to be like God and thus took of the tree of the "knowledge of good and evil" in order to achieve such. This means there is a knowledge unique to the Godhead not meant for us. Let me explain what I mean:

I ask myself, why should I not be jealous? The answer I hear inside is that nothing belongs to me and thus my jealousy is rather inordinate and unrighteous but when I consider our Creator, I discern a quality unique to the One to whom all things belong. He would certainly have the right to exercise jealousy and would do so in righteousness.

So, if there is this unique knowledge appropriate only for God and rather inordinate for us then this, i deduce, means that "hypocrisy" would be the wrong understanding of what is actually going on here.

What would I call it? Divinity ie the ability to exercise all things in righteousness according to Godliness.

edit on 31-5-2012 by HeFrippedMeOff because: (no reason given)

Thanks for this refreshing view on the question. I'm not a Christian but I'm happy to see someone has a deeper understanding of the questions posed here than a blank "cause that's what my Sunday School teacher told me."

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join