It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Muslim Woman Asked to Remove Headscarf in NJ Mall

page: 16
16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
That being said, the lady wearing the veil WAS abiding by the ways of the United States, who's law guarantees religious freedoms and guarantees religious rights.


At least one Indian religion practises sacrifice of babies. Really.

Indian cult kills children for goddess

The Guardian

Should religious freedom mean no one can object to worshipers of the Hindu goddess Kali sacrificing babies?




edit on 25-5-2012 by ollncasino because: grammar




posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


These full face coverings should be banned throughout the Western world; those who do wear them usually are homegrown and do it to cause a stir. These women need to grow up and stop acting like stupid little children to get attention. I hate these full face coverings and there's no room for them in our world (except if a woman's face is severely scarred).


Speaking of which, if their culture is so against the Western world and every thing we represent, what was she doing in the Mall in the first place? Just saying.....

I've seen young kids with their pants down and wearing hoodies that the security will tell them to pull pants up and leave the hood down and the kids obey. They understand it's part of the rules.... just like no smoking.

This is not about discrimination but about obscurity of the face. I do hate when a simple incident gets turned into a race issue.



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I like how she said she, "felt that he was going to do something and didnt feel safe"

Now you know how a majority of America feels when we see you walking around in full religious dress covering your face and speaking in arabic....



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
This is not about discrimination but about obscurity of the face. I do hate when a simple incident gets turned into a race issue.

Most Muslims don't agree with women wearing burqas.

Muslim group calls for burqa ban




A Canadian Muslim group wants the federal government to ban two kinds of garments, the burka and the niqab, worn by some women.

The Muslim Canadian Congress said the garments, which cover the face, have no basis in Islam.

The group's spokesperson, Farzana Hassan, said the practice of wearing the burka and niqab is more rooted in Middle Eastern culture than in religious teachings. She added that there is nothing in the Qur'an that stipulates women must cover their faces.

She said the issue is one of public safety.

"To cover your face is to conceal your identity," she said.

CBC News Canada


All those Muslims who want to ban the Burqa. Racists. The lot of them.



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
First off, I work Malls at Christmas time and NEVER have I seen a Nun shop there.


So you're a mall Santa, or elf. Just wanna understand who I'm talking to here...



Second, a Mall has it's own rules/policies of their own that have to be followed, even with the people who work there.


Sorry Santa, but your mall isn't exempt from the law...

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

In addition to the protections against discrimination provided under federal law, many states have passed their own Civil Rights Acts that provide broader protections than the Federal Civil Rights Act. For example, California's Unruh Civil Rights Act makes it illegal to discriminate against individuals based on unconventional dress or sexual preference.




I personally don't see this as a racist issue as you seem to do. It's not so much about a concealed bomb, where ever that came from I don't know, but it has to do with her face being obscured from view. In other words, you can not identify her features. Yes, I understand her culture and her purpose for her veil, but at the same time, she can not be seen.

You're right, it's not racist. Muslims come from all races. It's religious discrimination.



I suggested earlier that the Mall after this incident is over, should post signs on doors of the do'/don'ts of dress wear/ head wear so that it is clear to the public. The malls are within their rights to have their own policies as do many retail stores/restaurants.


Nope, scroll up and re-read the law.



To this day they all say "No shirt, No shoes, No service". Some I've seen don't allow pants down or hoodies up. That's their store, that's their right.

- sigh - again with the "no shirts, no shoes, no service"... for the last time, THAT customary store policy is based on PUBLIC HEALTH. And the store can put whatever sign it wants in the window. It's NOT their right. Again, scroll up and re-read the law.



Please don't turn this into a race issue because it's not. And no one has the right to do as they please in any store, food eatery, gas station, etc.. Even your own home, I'm sure, has certain rules to abide by. Mine does....

I thought we already covered this race issue nonsense. It's not racism. It's religious discrimination.



I guess for me, the line of work we're in, we always have to adjust to the rules/conditions of where ever we are. So I'm not all that surprised.

You're a good little rule-follower, aren't'cha? I guess that's why you're Santa's #1 elf. You know who else was just following orders? The friggin Nazis! (I know... I just Godwin'd myself... it was worth it)



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NAeagle89
I like how she said she, "felt that he was going to do something and didnt feel safe"

Now you know how a majority of America feels when we see you walking around in full religious dress covering your face and speaking in arabic....


Yeah, because traditional religious garments are scarrrrrrry! And, OMG, when they speak, like, Arabic it's like totally terrifying. Grow up. Honestly, life is too short. I got piss in my toilet older than you, and I'm telling you from experience, all you're doing with that hate is hurting yourself.

Also, don't say "majority" like you're the spokesperson for the United States. What research can you cite indicating that "a majority of America" doesn't feel safe because of local Muslims? Yeah... I thought so.
edit on 5/25/2012 by draco49 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49
I thought we already covered this race issue nonsense. It's not racism. It's religious discrimination.

SYRIA bans the burka and niqab in universities as backlash against Muslim veil grows



Syria has banned face-covering Islamic veils from the country’s universities.

The crackdown was ordered by the secular government in Damascus amid fears of increasing Islamic extremism among young Muslim students.

'Hijabs and niqabs have been a symbol of oppression and religious extremism over the past hundreds of years. They have been a tool used by fundamentalist men to repress women,' said Ahmed, a 32-year-old engineer.

www.dailymail.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Daily Mail


I agree with Ahmed. Burqas are a symbol of oppression and religious extremism.

And they are used by fundamentalist men to repress women.



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ollncasino
I agree with Ahmed. Burqas are a symbol of oppression and religious extremism.

And they are used by fundamentalist men to repress women.


And yet if a woman in America chooses to wear one because of her religious convictions, there's nothing you can do about it. Don't ya just hate it when those pesky civil liberties bite you in a$$?



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The veil and hence the burqa is officially still outlawed in Turkey.

news.bbc.co.uk...





edit on 25-5-2012 by ollncasino because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ollncasino
Haven't you heard?

The veil and burqa are officially still outlawed in Turkey.


And this is relevant to a discussion about an American woman in America because....



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49

Originally posted by getreadyalready

In general, I hate political statements. We always have something going on here in front of our Capital building, and I just love to heckle them, even when I agree with them. Attention seekers and rabble rousers. Sure, stand in the mall in your camo pants and black mask, you're perfectly safe there, I bet you won't walk across my yard looking that way.


I bet the ski masks and camo won't do much good against my PPK


Attention seeking was kind of the point I suppose









Safe in the mall lol



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by draco49
 


Why are you so angry with everyone who disagrees with you? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And that's all it is in this thread. No one is going around ripping clothes off of people. They're just giving their opinions.

Tolerance does not mean falling in love with everyone's actions or lifestyles.



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49
And this is relevant to a discussion about an American woman in America because....


Support for Banning the Burqa

Britain in 2006 - 29%
Britain in 2010 - 62%

Spain in 2006 - 43%
Spain in 2010 - 59%

France in 2006 - 78%
France in 2010 - 82%

Germany in 2006 - 54%
Germany in 2010 - 71%

USA in 2010 - 28%
USA in 2012 - ?

pewresearch.org...

pewglobal.org...

Can you see a pattern here?

I remember when this board was hoaching with apologists for radical Islam. That was only 18 months ago.

Now. Not so many. In fact, the shoe is now very much on the other foot.



edit on 25-5-2012 by ollncasino because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by draco49
 

Why are you so angry with everyone who disagrees with you?


He is a Muslim.

They get angry a lot.




posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ollncasino

Originally posted by snarky412
This is not about discrimination but about obscurity of the face. I do hate when a simple incident gets turned into a race issue.

Most Muslims don't agree with women wearing burqas.

Muslim group calls for burqa ban




A Canadian Muslim group wants the federal government to ban two kinds of garments, the burka and the niqab, worn by some women.

The Muslim Canadian Congress said the garments, which cover the face, have no basis in Islam.

The group's spokesperson, Farzana Hassan, said the practice of wearing the burka and niqab is more rooted in Middle Eastern culture than in religious teachings. She added that there is nothing in the Qur'an that stipulates women must cover their faces.

She said the issue is one of public safety.

"To cover your face is to conceal your identity," she said.

CBC News Canada


All those Muslims who want to ban the Burqa. Racists. The lot of them.


Thanks, good to know....

One poster stated that maybe she was just trying to get publicity, trying to make a discrimination issue out of this. Who knows...

Evidently their culture in different areas are definitely divided as far as the women's head wear is concerned.

I guess you're right, even their own people are racists now!! LOL...



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ollncasino
 



Support for Banning the Burqa

Britain in 2006 - 29%
Britain in 2010 - 62%

Spain in 2006 - 43%
Spain in 2010 - 59%

France in 2006 - 78%
France in 2010 - 82%

Germany in 2006 - 54%
Germany in 2010 - 71%

USA in 2010 - 28%
USA in 2012 - ?


The more people that live around Muslims, the more people that will hate them. People think small white towns are racist, but they're not, they're still naive. You have to live around a lot of people you don't like before you become racist, LOL!

It is also the MSM I'm sure. They portray a particular crowd as the enemy and people start to believe it.



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49

Originally posted by snarky412
First off, I work Malls at Christmas time and NEVER have I seen a Nun shop there.


So you're a mall Santa, or elf. Just wanna understand who I'm talking to here...



Second, a Mall has it's own rules/policies of their own that have to be followed, even with the people who work there.


Sorry Santa, but your mall isn't exempt from the law...

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

In addition to the protections against discrimination provided under federal law, many states have passed their own Civil Rights Acts that provide broader protections than the Federal Civil Rights Act. For example, California's Unruh Civil Rights Act makes it illegal to discriminate against individuals based on unconventional dress or sexual preference.




I personally don't see this as a racist issue as you seem to do. It's not so much about a concealed bomb, where ever that came from I don't know, but it has to do with her face being obscured from view. In other words, you can not identify her features. Yes, I understand her culture and her purpose for her veil, but at the same time, she can not be seen.

You're right, it's not racist. Muslims come from all races. It's religious discrimination.



I suggested earlier that the Mall after this incident is over, should post signs on doors of the do'/don'ts of dress wear/ head wear so that it is clear to the public. The malls are within their rights to have their own policies as do many retail stores/restaurants.


Nope, scroll up and re-read the law.



To this day they all say "No shirt, No shoes, No service". Some I've seen don't allow pants down or hoodies up. That's their store, that's their right.

- sigh - again with the "no shirts, no shoes, no service"... for the last time, THAT customary store policy is based on PUBLIC HEALTH. And the store can put whatever sign it wants in the window. It's NOT their right. Again, scroll up and re-read the law.



Please don't turn this into a race issue because it's not. And no one has the right to do as they please in any store, food eatery, gas station, etc.. Even your own home, I'm sure, has certain rules to abide by. Mine does....

I thought we already covered this race issue nonsense. It's not racism. It's religious discrimination.



I guess for me, the line of work we're in, we always have to adjust to the rules/conditions of where ever we are. So I'm not all that surprised.

You're a good little rule-follower, aren't'cha? I guess that's why you're Santa's #1 elf. You know who else was just following orders? The friggin Nazis! (I know... I just Godwin'd myself... it was worth it)


All right, smart azz....

Have you ever notice the Kiosks that set up in the middle of the Mall??? That's what we do, we are self-employed Vendors who deal with the public in all kinds of environments. Malls, Rodeos, Festivals, Fairs, etc..... So don't try to lecture me about stuff that you haven't the foggiest idea about.

YES, all Malls have their set of rules... for EVERY ONE. If you don't abide, you get escorted out. That simple...

We deal with security EVERY day in our line of work, so don't preach to me about "rights" or about being a good little follower. We don't live a sheltered life like most people. If it wasn't for security and their thoroughness about watching people, we and our friends couldn't be out here trying to make a living with out being robbed or hassled.

So if you have a problem with what the Mall did, oh well. That's the real world.......

This isn't the Brady Bunch Era any more. Things have changed and it will never go back to the "simple" life.

Crime in general has gone up and that is the main reason for a tougher security.

Have you ever been robbed? We have.... so, yeah I think the Mall is acting in their rights to do as they please in THEIR building to provide a safer environment for everyone. The Mall itself has a laundry list of rules to abide by.

You are not going to change any thing by being ugly to me about this, but I deal with this sh#t every day. So you can take your little speech some where else, like the garbage disposal.....



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Why is it wrong to discriminate against an extremist element of a religion/culture? How do those who defend the garb feel about those who have their seven year olds marching around with "God hates Queers" plastered on their t-shirts and picket signs? That's someone expressing their religious freedom too. Both are ugly examples of extreme elements in organized religion. It shouldn't be tolerated.

I don't see how people can defend such an extreme element of middle eastern culture, as well as bury their head in the sand when presented with the fact that people of the -same- race and religion also want to do away with it. Kind of kills the "bigot" rebuttal.



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainPicard
reply to post by CaticusMaximus
 


I guess she is protected.

609.735 CONCEALING IDENTITY.

A person whose identity is concealed by the person in a public place by means of a robe, mask, or other disguise, unless based on religious beliefs, or incidental to amusement, entertainment, protection from weather, or medical treatment, is guilty of a misdemeanor.


Well I guess that means I could wear a mask as well. I could just make up my random religion and say that I need to wear a hockey mask or I will violate my religion right?



posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I cant Wear masks in public why should she be allowed to? Your in America not irain deal with it.



new topics

top topics



 
16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

log in

join