It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the TSHTF and there is no more gasoline or diesel, what will you use to get about?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I reckon that once civilisation collapses and most people starve to death, the only way to get about will be with push bikes.

People would have already emptied fuel tanks, siphoned gas from abandoned cars and even used vegetable oil for a while but eventually that too would run out.

So what is the solution for maintaining a Mad Max lifestyle?

I suggest this;

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Exactly my electric bike

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I would just build a wood gasifier and hook that up to the engine of what ever vehicle(likely a truck with a carburetor) that i decided to drive. Unless there will also be no trees.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeprodigy
Exactly my electric bike
Good point. I could also build a solar powered golf cart or something.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

I wonder how long it would take before someone stole it. I assume walking would be the best means of travel. Especially considering you will want to stay off of paths or roads for a little while.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I would just build a wood gasifier and hook that up to the engine of what ever vehicle(likely a truck with a carburetor) that i decided to drive. Unless there will also be no trees.

Trees are one of the first things that go when refugees start marauding. Happens in Africa all the time and it causes desertification.

Please do expand on the gasifier idea.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath
I reckon that once civilisation collapses and most people starve to death, the only way to get about will be with push bikes.

People would have already emptied fuel tanks, siphoned gas from abandoned cars and even used vegetable oil for a while but eventually that too would run out.

I suggest this;

While it is super-cool looking...I'll stick w/ a plain-old fashioned bicycle. Preferably one that even one with a bunch of scrapes, and scratches in the paint.

If we REALLY wound up in SHTF scenario the proud owner of this piece of machinery will be killed in about 10 minutes. Having something to steal is MORE dangerous than not having the best equipment.

In reality, I would wager that the first 50 owners of this thing will wind up with a bullet in them by someone who thinks they are going to have an "edge" in survival by stealing it.

You might as well paint a gigantic f*&^ing target on your forehead and just wait for the sound of the gunshot.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DamTyD
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

I wonder how long it would take before someone stole it. I assume walking would be the best means of travel. Especially considering you will want to stay off of paths or roads for a little while.

That's true! Even in a Mad Max world there would be gangs of hoodies with chain cutters pinching the bikes of survivalists!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I heard water is useful

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath

I suggest this;

Why would vegetable oil run out since it is renewable? Ethanol is also renewable along with methane gas and wood gas.... I seriously doubt things will be set back to the stone age. May be tough for a while but we will bounce back people are already preparing for this sort of thing so all production will not cease and sustainable production will eventually spread after the big collapse.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

__
I do hope that we invent our way past fossil fuels before it runs out frankly and not just stagnate until the show is over.
future..you know..starships running on anti-matter, flying cars, we eat lazers, frogmen, etc..

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Got an e-bike myself, mine is able to go for about 25 miles with one full charge (of 500 watts) . Then you need another 500 watts! So if you choose this method of going around, you would need to think it different. Maybe getting a 1000 watts battery and also some 350 watts solar panels to recharge your battery. Even so, 50 miles could just not be enough.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

Will this suit you then?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Why would vegetable oil run out since it is renewable? Ethanol is also renewable along with methane gas and wood gas....

So are planning on being a farmer?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I have a horse and I think about this scenario often.
He's only 3 so he has years ahead of him and as a mountain breed he would be great for cart pulling or carrying weight. There are issues - being stolen for use or food, maintaining his weight and vet treatment but I have a feeling horses, ponies and donkeys would be commonplace once again.

On the other hand, a bike could also have potential issues (being stolen, needing parts for repairs etc).

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofhearts

A horse is a damn good idea and you could use more than one to travel with when searching for sanctuary or a missing spouse.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Donkey.

You don't ride 'em. But you can put stuff on them. Things you want to take with you, or things to trade. Donkeys vary a lot in size, but the larger ones can carry 90 pounds in cargo. So donkeys aren't very strong individually.

Most donkeys, when carrying a burden of any consequence, walk a bit slower than a person does. So donkeys aren't very fast.

Yet donkeys are far superior to horses for survival, for two reasons:

1) Donkeys do not need to be expensive grain when they work. Unlike horses, donkeys can forage for themselves completely when they are idle. while all equines will condition better with some grain in their diets, only donkeys can be worked at some level with no grain at all.

2) While they do need some water, they are far more drought-tolerant than either horses or mules. This is why they were so popular in the Mediterranean and the Southwestern desert of North America. Prospectors in particular relied on donkeys because of this feature.

Additionally, 2 donkeys can make more donkeys, which makes them better to either mules or bicycles.

Further, donkeys have more "horse sense" than most thoroughbred horses. They tend to be a bit more intelligent; perhaps consequently, they are a bit less brave than horses. On the other hand, they will confront predators, and are quite loyal. Many goatherders even in the US use a single donkey as a guard animal for their flocks.

If you had 5 donkeys, you could move 400 lbs. of supplies across a roadless wilderness with only a few watering holes. That is quite a bit of freight. Donkeys can also be hitched to a small plow. And donkeys can be bred with horses to produce a mule, which is the single most effective plow animal in many farming situations.

On the ancient Silk road of trade routes across ancient Asia, much of the distance was actually traversed by donkeys rather than camels.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Even if the SHTF, you'll still look cool on a Flicker scooter....

youtu.be...

Peace.
edit on 22-5-2012 by Theflyingweldsman because: video link fail

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
There's a thread on here that shows a source that says that the us has trillions f barrels of oil under it. I don't think we have to worry.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
bicycles or maybe hemp seed oil to fuel a motor' Akso there would be alcohol available for those with the know how to distil moonshine. Here in Franklin County, VA it was the heart and soul of the commuity in the 20-30's.

Also, I would have a methene gas digestor... but none of these is good on a long distance bug out!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join