It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the TSHTF and there is no more gasoline or diesel, what will you use to get about?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I don't know how safe the idea of travel is once SHTF, but if I must, I'll walk with God. Always seemed to get me where I was going before, don't see why that would all the sudden change.

I think once the withdrawal symptoms of the drug (gasoline, refined oil, what-have-you) have pasted (if that ever even happened in my lifetime), people would chill out a little more. Working a hard day to maintain the communities that are sure to eventually start conglomerating, it's just human nature and more satisfying to do something for yourself, and others, instead of robbing and pilliaging.

They'd have their hour, but soon this small precentage of the population will be vastly ournumbered by those wanting to build something that lasts (or already has, as some ATSers can proudly proclaim. Their home wouldn't be one I would want to invade with a force of bandits, if those are the guns they're willing to brag about, I can't imagine what's in the "if S really HTF" locker/bunker), instead of living day to day on the sweat of someone elses brow at the risk of taking a bullet to the dome. Protects from those nasty raiders to be in groups, etc.

I'd probably never see the boiling pot settle in a life time, but maybe a generation or two down the road people would start to reorganize past small groups and scavengers.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

It's the eventual collapse americas political and social systems.
I'm prepareing because all things end encluding nations.
I know you can't prepare for everything but I do what I can.
We have.come very close to collapse a.few times in our.history.
I think we are getting close to the end of capitalisms life span.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

If I had ten grand to spend on a SHTF vehicle I believe I could come up with something better than an electric bike, but that thing is pretty bad*ss

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Point being if you had no oil, you woud have no tires, no roads , no nothing much....
It takes oil to produce a that wonderful technology!
No oil, no solar panels, no plastics, no way to mate raw materials with production facilities...no way to create the massive quantities of fertilizers and such that we depend upon.....
oil IS our civilisation......

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Point being if you had no oil, you woud have no tires, no roads , no nothing much....
It takes oil to produce a that wonderful technology!
No oil, no solar panels, no plastics, no way to mate raw materials with production facilities...no way to create the massive quantities of fertilizers and such that we depend upon.....
oil IS our civilisation......

Geeze people do some research all those things are possible without oil. It is amazing how embedded the big oil propaganda is that society could not exist without oil. Yes all those things are made currently with oil and we could not just switch overnight without big disruptions but there are viable alternatives. Henry Ford made plastic from hemp nearly a hundred years ago that was stronger then metal. Plastics can be made from potatoes and a host of other plants

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Me it would have to be walking, horse or donkey or a small yacht

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'd be using my diesel truck for as long as I could, switching it to bio-diesel when I had to.

Once that's gone, it's relying on the horses I suppose. They're easy to feed (grass, and some carrots from the garden), provide manure for the garden, and we love horses, so there you go.

The only reason I'd be "going" anywhere, is to forage for food/supplies to bring back home anyhow.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

Greetings from Europe.
the simple reason,i bought this swiss army bike was because it was purpose designed to carry a great deal of heavy equipment.(I posted the pics on Zombie squad)
I particularly liked the strong steel frame.and the front carrier,along with the rear Panzerfaust ammo carrier cages.
Granted this bike,like anything of any value will be desirable in a disaster,however, perhaps its safer moving at night,maybe using Night Vision equipment, and stealth camping with good use of camouflage in the daylight hours would hopefully minimise the chances of being noticed .
In order to keep the night vision gears batterys going, I propose to use rechargeable batterys powered from the front wheel FER hub dynamo on the bike..

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I would use my legs to get me around. I live in a small town with woods, fields and farms all around me so I wouldn't need to travel far. Unless my town becomes overrun with bandits/zombies or whatever the scenario is.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Seems all the horse lovers have forgotten horses do need horse shoes, so don't forget to learn blacksmithing, otherwise the horses hooves will wear out! the nails for the horse shoes are specially made too.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
This is one thing i've always wondered about a true SHTF scenario. So let's say the financial industry collapses. There's no more money. If you're in the banking/financial sector, you have to learn a new job. For everyone else? Well if we kept on doing as we're doing today, everything else would continue to run.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

That's a great idea considering , (forgive the sarcasm) I'd be thinking much more about eating than turning my food I to petrol , ethanol is very inefficient and a very inefficient process all around and without the farming implements we have today it would be quitedifficult to produce en masse.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'd have to build a permanent magnet motor generator probally, or something along the lines. Solar would work on good day's along with wind but having electricity on hand to me is essential to an extent. Moving it would be a hassel but could design it to attatch and detatch on a bike or small car making it portable and a power supply for the vehicle and other sources. Then safety as said before would be an issue well with any transportation, I guess if shtf does happen we will learn what "back to the basic" really means and old school and passed down knowledge will be very helpful!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
reply to post by hawkiye

That's a great idea considering , (forgive the sarcasm) I'd be thinking much more about eating than turning my food I to petrol , ethanol is very inefficient and a very inefficient process all around and without the farming implements we have today it would be quitedifficult to produce en masse.

Those are myths ethanol is very efficient and no crops formerly being grown for food are now being used for ethanol. Busting the Ethanol Myths

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

When the TSHTF and there is no more gasoline or diesel, what will you use to get about?

Tauntaun of course!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
i have thought about this many times....where will you go on your last tank of gas? ...after that, it is by boot
all of those infantry guys, spec ops and us hard core backpackers know how to handle it...just hope i dont have to run to far

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
Seems all the horse lovers have forgotten horses do need horse shoes, so don't forget to learn blacksmithing, otherwise the horses hooves will wear out! the nails for the horse shoes are specially made too.

Where did native americans buy their horseshoes????

(Answer: shoes are required for rocky or hard terrain, especially roads, which are slick as ice to a horse. As long as your horse isn't getting stone bruises through its hooves, and isn't getting chips from rocks or pavement, it would be OK. The Native Americans lived in a world without gravel and paved roads....)

Knowing "blacksmithing" is not enough. A farrier practices a unique type of smithing that requires a detailed training in how to hammer in the nails without permanently laming the animal. The shoes are nailed on through the hoof; then the nail-ends that stick all the way through are cut off flush with the outer surface of the hoof.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My solution...our horses...

Not like we'd be going far in a SHTF situation anyhow, and beats walking....
With the right saddlebags, you can carry a bit of stuff, too.
My SHTF plan is stay put...if we can't ride it out at the ranch, life would pretty much suck.

Most horses don't "need" horseshoes. In fact, only one of ours does, and needs them only on her front hooves. If you're in a rural area, you could probably loot these anyhow...and they aren't exactly a difficult item to smith.

Knowing "blacksmithing" is not enough. A farrier practices a unique type of smithing that requires a detailed training in how to hammer in the nails without permanently laming the animal. The shoes are nailed on through the hoof; then the nail-ends that stick all the way through are cut off flush with the outer surface of the hoof.

This is true. Even seasoned horse folk will often have a farrier come out every 6 weeks to treat the horses (shoes or no shoes, there's still trimming to do). You could learn it yourself in a SHTF scenario, with the right info though, but it would be a poor substitute for an experienced farrier.
edit on 13-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

My feet

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Moonshine of course!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join