It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Before he became a hermit, Zarathud was a young Priest, and took great delight in making fools of his opponents in front of his followers.

One day Zarathud took his students to a pleasant pasture and there he confronted The Sacred Chao while She was contentedly grazing.

"Tell me, you dumb beast." demanded the Priest in his commanding voice, "why don't you do something worthwhile. What is your Purpose in Life, anyway?"

Munching the tasty grass, The Sacred Chao replied "MU".*

Upon hearing this, absolutely nobody was enlightened. Primarily because nobody could understand Chinese.

* "MU" is the Chinese ideogram for NO-THING

Humans remind me of ants. Always building and working, as if simply enjoying life is some type of blasphemy. Have you ever heard the saying "this is so much fun it should be criminal"? Since when did happiness become criminal? Have you ever wondered why the best drugs are illegal? They make you too happy, they give you too much pleasure.

If the work you do doesn't even provide you with a life that you can enjoy... there is absolutely no reason to do that work unless you like being a slave or you don't want to be labelled a lazy bum by society. Do you know what sheep do? They follow the pack, they try to fit in, and want to be accepted by the pack. True individuals don't give a flying f*** what society thinks about them.
edit on 20-5-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

refreshing, thank the lord

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
You have to do what you have to do. I worked 2 jobs(7 days a week) for 5 years. Finally had to give up the weekend job. It's quite a toll on the body to work 7 day/week in your mid 40's. If one has to work 2 jobs, hey, that's life.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I work two jobs, though the second one is on the net (and not a paid cointelpro - though be willing if I get paid HINT HINT) My primary job though is a 9 to 5 type.

But hey, people should make a few more JOB threads, lets have the entire main page about JOBS.

(but speaking of it, I have paid into unemployment insurance for over 20 years, haven't used it once - if I do get laid off you can be #ing sure I want to be able to use it to see if I can get a job with the same pay, if by the time it ends I don't, well then I will take whatever I can get)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I think its getting to that point where the ATS mods need to create a JOB Forum for the site...hahaha smh

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
another thread hanging on my coat tails

they got that Jordan River bump

edit on 20-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

Stop calling people lazy! I am 19, I do manual labor for 8-10 hours a day. Me and my mom run our own business washing windows for businesses and houses around town.. And we still have a hard time getting money to buy groceries and make the house payments and whatnot.. I am sorry I cant help run a business and work all day, and have another job on top of that!
If success was the result of hard work my mother would have been rich years ago! She had to work 3 jobs with only 5 hours to sleep in between them with no days off. So dont come at me with that crap because not everyone is in your same position!
You people make me so furious!!!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
it's all about where you live and who you know. if being succesful in this f*d up world is important to you move to where theres a lot of industry. i know guys in mid twenties making 90k+ working offshore with nothing more than a highschool diploma
2nd

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Sounds like a pretty crappy life... If thats what I have to look forward to then what is the point of living???

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ryckE
Sounds like a pretty crappy life... If thats what I have to look forward to then what is the point of living???

You have to do what you've got to do. 3 kids to provide for. It was hard but I'm not whining about those years. They lived well.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

don't have kids and don't get yourself into debt. it's really that easy. people are slaves because they choose to be

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It's perfectly possible to live well on minimum wage. I did it for years. The key is to find cheap rent one way or another. I lived in a cheap house trailer for awhile, then found "rooms" in the back of a house to rent where the hallway was the biggest room. I had a bedroom, a bathroom, and a small kitchen along with a large empty closet. That was it. I had a cheap car and worked at the Mall for minimum wage. All of us working at the Mall were in the same boat. Some of my friends got together to rent a house. Each person had one bedroom. They pooled money for the rent, which worked fine. We all had plenty to eat. We didn;t go to fancy restaurants, but we had money for entertainment of we were frugal.

We were so far below the poverty line that we couldn't see it. You would have called us poor, but we didn't really see it that way. Instead we acted responsibly, paid our bills, and worked pretty gruling hours (Mall work can be tough, especially around Christmas season.) And then what happened? Those of us who wroked hard began to get promoted. One guy became Asst. Manager. It was above minimum wage, but not by much. One gal got a welding job putting together school busses. That was way more than minimum wage. Then another gal got a job wiring low voltage lines in, umm, Watergate in DC. Way above minimum wage. And gradually we climbed the laddder out of poverty and into okay jobs.

Minimum wage is not enough to start a family, I agree, but this idea of "living wage jobs" is really a crock made up by unions who want everyone to make $100k for doing nothing particularly useful. If you stop whining and work at it, you can not only live on minimum wage, you can excel. And you don't have to stay there unless you are excessively stupid. "Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid."--John Wayne.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme

don't have kids and don't get yourself into debt. it's really that easy. people are slaves because they choose to be

...you must be a Baby Boomer.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
v1rtu0s0 .....Well said and keen to the point........ And I'll agree fully.

I'll also say, that back in the day (last decade) you could go happen... that is start-up, and everyone would assume that since your in the advertisement, you must be good or legit. With the shrinking economy, these companies built on daring and guts alone are priced out of existence. Or rather, it's considerably more difficult to build out of a bluff even an honest intention bluff, using the credit to start up and your first job to finance your second job and on and on. Thinking in terms of upstarts. The economy's just not there to support it, nor are the craftsmen now.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...............WRONG

Freakin take a low paying job and move in with a family member. Simple as that.
The world degrades the word family and it doesnt exist anymore.

4 COMBINED low wage jobs will work. Pay for your own food and just help pay the bills to the house.
DOESNT take a freakin rocket scientist

Way to lower the bar.

You know...another solution that comes to mind is just to seize vast sums of money and property from the disgustingly and revoltingly rich as well as religious groups.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Thank you for this thread! As I always think.. theres always two sides of the coin. Someone very dear to me got laid off a couple years ago, and put everything he knew in to his trade because he loved it so much. It was a passion to him! Unemployed for a year and it was definatley a struggle for all of us. While yes, some people may be lazy but you know some people have worked really hard to get where they are at! I dont blame them for feeling a little down and helpless afterwards. Its no fair to these people if you look at it in another light

Peace and love everyone

edit on 20-5-2012 by Candles because: I forgot to add in, he ended up getting his original job back so it was a happy ending

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Submarines
I personally jungle 5 jobs. This also allows my wife to be a stay at home mom.
We have money to put away, pay for all our bills, and health insurance. We eat well, AND have a social life.

You lazy a$$ people need to suck it up and go to work and quit complaining!

Couldnt resist...

edit on 20-5-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Blacklisted by whom? Construction companies don't have to hire people based on orders from the government, they hire who they want. If they don't want to hire people because they are in a union (and is there any fact to that?) then it's a construction company question to answer, not a government one.

I agree. Unions have no place in a free market and democratically inspired republic. Just like lobbyists, religions, business associations, investment groups, oligopolies, monopolies, and rampant conflicts of interest in pubicly traded companies, and "private" businesses recieving ANY contracts or funding from the government whatsoever.

However...since we do not now, nor have we ever had a free market in any civilization in the history of the world it hardly seems fair to hold union membership against someone for employment purposes any more than it is fair to hold someone's NRA membership against them for the same.

I'm all for getting rid of "groups" who have greater clout than a single individual...but it must done equally across the board. Until that day...I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR UNIONS IN THIS COUNTRY DESPITE THE FACT THAT I HAVE NOT EVER BEEN A PART OF ONE.

It's a checks and balances of a sorts.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The baby boom in the developing world over recent decades may be caused by the precipitous decline of infant mortality in such countries due to vaccination and generic drugs for treatment of childhood diseases that have historically kept population growth within sustainable limits

As a result we now suddenly have billions of people who will work for food. The older generations have little understanding of the impact of this transition on young people in Western countries

My advice would be to learn some software skills using free resources on the Internet. Java is always in demand and relatively easy to learn. Oracle is harder to learn but pays better. The big one at the moment is HTML 5

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
There are LOADS of threads out there, but none of them bring up valid points!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I work to live, not live to work.

I do not own a car, I have a bicycle, I ride it in the rain, and snow, as well as sunny days. I do not own a cell phone.

I have a wife, but no children, by choice (the wife was by choice as well) I have no degrees or certifications

I have Zero savings, I work in patient transportation at a healthcare center, I have multiple skills, and use them daily.

I most likely will never retire. My wife doesn't work, and some weeks we don't have a great deal of food, we make due.

We moved 2000 miles about 6 years ago, from Michigan to Texas, I have been homeless 3 times, but have always found "something" that pays most of the bills, I have 0 debt, 0 loans, and have not used a bank in 10 years.

We have 2 PC's and a TV, we live simply, no travel, no Movies, we don't buy "name brand" it's not worth it.

we eat out once every 60 days or so. and I make just over minimum wage. we use the library, we walk in the park. we ride bikes, I am in my 50's and looking to get another Job in the near future, I'm tired of being on call 24/7 but it still pays the bills. we live a planned spartan life we don't watch much TV, we have it on just to busy on the net.

so many of you have the latest and greatest, to what end, we have been rich, and we have been poor, being poor is more fun because it gives us more time to LIVE, being rich makes you tied to money, it becomes work, live life, go talk to folks, have (cheap) fun, playing cards, visiting folks in retirement centers.... life is not "stuff" it's the experiences you have, the smiles you make. those are things that have no value, but are priceless.

the best way to get a Job, is to think and believe "what ever it takes to not make my boss look bad" that sentence has gotten me more work then any college degree or certification, and you are all welcome to use it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join