It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

Many jobs are going unfilled because no one can be found that is properly qualified. Now, that could be its own thread, because I think the HR monkeys are CRAZY. But it is common in MSM, no one is qualified to do anything anymore. No employer is willing to train someone. Everybody back to school...

Afterthought: And you see the same jobs posted over and over again, going unfilled. The place where I work has been advertising for a certain skill set for as long as I have been there. They just leave the ad up. There are so few people with those skills they still only hire one every few months (as the previous hires leave for more money).
edit on 20-5-2012 by kawika because: add text

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Indeed! I am glad I took the time to talk to them as much as I could. While my other siblings were playing around I was in the den listening to stories about another era not so different from the one we are experiencing now. History always repeating itself.

link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Even those have to make concessions if the job market can not sustain them:

www.torontosun.com...

I know what that's like. I'm from Nova Scotia and was making $1500/month GROSS with every other Sunday off 15 years ago. The family had to be on welfare. What to do? Move to Ontario and more than double my income. Had to live up here without my family for over 2 years. I've said it already. You have to do what you have to do.

link   
What pisses me off, I use to ALWAYS
get a letter if i was accepted at a job OR NOT,
now not even a freaking phone call to let you know.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by popsmayhem

Even those have to make concessions if the job market can not sustain them:

www.torontosun.com...

I know what that's like. I'm from Nova Scotia and was making $1500/month GROSS with every other Sunday off 15 years ago. The family had to be on welfare. What to do? Move to Ontario and more than double my income. Had to live up here without my family for over 2 years. I've said it already. You have to do what you have to do.

Cold as ice in canada
im from the hot south
i'd do it though if i had too.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Thank you for posting this!

So this whole rant of mine is coming from frustration in trying to have hope for the young people in this world. I have had my life, and I try to find hope for our youth, but when I read "tons of jobs'; the people who spout this crap either have never experienced what average people are going thru, or are older and retired and forget things were a lot easier when they were starting out; and don't care, because if they did they would educates themselves to understand why average everyday people are becoming more and more frustrated and they wouldn't say the ignorant crap they say. There were auto factory jobs that paid a living wage, and people didn't have to have a bachelor's degree to work up the ladder for management jobs, etc,. and don't care, because if they did they would educates themselves to understand why average everyday people are becoming more and more frustrated and they wouldn't say the ignorant crap they say.

Also, when the mm says "unemployment rates are dropping"; it means more people are working for minimum wages! And many people are not eligible for unemployment so they are not is the"statistics".
My neighbors wife's job folded last summer. She found a job, but only because she knew "someone". It pays 11 bucks an hour. About the same as her previous job.

Yesterday her husband's job in the school district was 'outsourced", he would no longer receive health benefits and his pay would be cut by a third. He would still have a job but no health benefits and less money.

My husband has worked for 15 years for a small private business, and still has yet to receive paid sick leave, or paid vacation leave, and he is a valuable employee because no one else in the company can do his job.
When times were good, he worked 40 hrs a week, when times were bad, he worked less hours so the business would have less expenses, but he ended up working 3 times as hard, this is happening everywhere. 1 person is doing the job of 3 people.

Yeah, just work till hard your whole life just to exist and then you drop dead! What the hell is the point of living? I get asked this question often, and I try to find inspiration to encourage but everyday it gets more difficult to find that inspiration, when banks, corporations and, tptb, keep taking and taking.
Young adults ask what is the point? Life is a treadmill unless you grew up upper middle class and have connections.
My daughter pays $600 a month in student loans, worked her butt off waitressing while in school, got a 4.0. Now she can teach, if she can find a job, and she's worried that she won't earn enough money to pay her student loans, and everyday living expenses. And the irony is she still has to pay her student loans whether she has a job or not.

I know what I'm talking about, I grew up poor, white, a minority in the ghetto. I was fortunate enough to have a year of private education from my grandmother who was a nurse. I met many different people from all walks of life. I work among the obscenely wealthy, and volunteer with the middle class. I have seen life from many different perspectives.

I'm just trying to have some hope, but it gets hard sometimes.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Seeing these threads pop up, one after another, and be successful make me wonder who is posting in the threads.

If wages are so low, then how can internet bills be paid for? Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to belittle anyone posting here or claiming that the poor shouldn't have access to internet use. It just makes me wonder how this type of service is accessible to those who have such low wages that paying neccassary bills is an impossibility without government assistance.

I am one of those people who believes everyone is capable of earning exactly what they are worth.

How do we determine our value? It is simple, we determine this by our level of ambition and willingness to convert criticism into skill and advice.

I believe everyone has a talent for something, even if that talent isn't what they generally thought they would be doing to earn an income.

If you do not currently know what you are good at, then look into somethings you are interested in.

If you are physically able, but lack the job skills to perform a certain job, go down to Lowe's or HomeDepot and by a couple books on the trade. Read those books a few times, go to craigslist.com, make an advertisement, explaining the truth of the situation.

When you get a job, you can charge an up front deposit, 20% of the total job cost would easily pay for gas and tool rental, allowing you to complete the job.

Be honest and tell the customer you are just beginning, but will not leave them holding the bag. Let them know you are committed to them and the job, then, most importantly, give them a great price, reflecting your lack of experience and sincerity in bettering yourself with a new career.

It works, this is how I started. I now have 5 teams, 2 workers per team, installing flooring 6 days a week. I'm 33 and making more money than I ever though I could. So, don't be shy, have faith in yourself, and be persistent. You are in the land of opportunity, but the opportunity is one you have to create using the tools provided.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There's 2 ways at looking at things like this. One is to bemoan your situation or.....

Wise words.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

v1rt, thanks for the thread. I'll share my own views and struggles as a professional trying to find a permanent position.

As many of you know, I'm a teacher, and I really enjoy what I do. For the past 2.5 years, I've been forced to live with family and scrape by as a substitute teacher, mostly to keep my credentials current, as the pay sucks. I spent the better part of six years and tens of thousands of dollars going through the training, the license procedures, extra training workshops paid out of my own pocket, and testing (out of my own pocket) in order to achieve my goal and dream of working with kids. That is the only thing that matters to me. I want to work with the kids that will change the world some day. Many criticize me for my choice in educational expertise (fine arts), but from day one, I ignored the naysayers. The education market was very good when I left college (I had 12 interviews in the first 4 weeks out of school...I had my pick of what school I wanted to work for...my credentials spoke for me). I was able to start paying down the debt I incurred, and I was living very comfortably. It wasn't until the bubble burst in late 2008 that I realized that my dream wouldn't live up to its potential through no fault of my own (yes, it wasn't my fault that the state government decided to cut funding to the thousands of schools it is supposed to support). I had a choice of staying in a district that was threatening to cut my position down to below full-time status, or move back home to take care of a very sick family member. I chose family. 300+ applications in the educational market and 200+ in the "normal" job market later, and I'm still a substitute teacher making 60 bucks a day, hopefully 5 days a week.

When I went to college, I knew full well of what I was doing when I took out loans. I had to, as my siblings and myself were being raised by a single mother who worked 70+ hours a week in a hospital to give us the things we needed and to keep a roof over our heads. My particular field also didn't allow me to take on full-time work, or even part time work to help pay down the cost...that's just the way it goes. With the salary of starting teachers in Upstate New York, I would have been able to pay off my debt in under 15 years. Not so much anymore.

I'll fast forward to today. I hear so many people say "McDonald's is hiring." I laugh in their faces. I didn't spend six years getting training in a Professional field to flip burgers for minimum wage (Yes, it's BENEATH me, and painfully so). Even at 40 hours a week (which they rarely give you), I wouldn't even be able to pay my loan bill each month. This isn't to mention that I would have to work along side kids that I may be teaching during the day. Reputation and image is everything when it comes to certain professional fields, education included. If I have to work side-by-side with students that I teach during the day, the student/teacher boundary is broken, and you lose respect. Like I said, image is everything in professional fields. Teachers are public employees and are held to higher standards. That's just the way it goes.

I am fortunate in the fact that I have no kids or spouse to provide for. I am fortunate that my family has taken me in with open arms and have been actively helping me search for new education positions. I get about 20 emails a week regarding new positions, and guess what? From 3:30 pm-11pm every night, I'm filling out applications. I just finished four more before I decided to chime in. I have applications out from coast to coast. My problem being is that my savings dried up a year ago (also cashed in several investments at a huge loss just to make bills for a few months). No capital to move, and most, if not all, education positions won't pay moving expenses. I've thought about getting extra licenses in the past, but that requires more schooling, and more money I don't have. I refuse to change careers, as I feel that from the inside, I can do my small part in changing the education system, and MAYBE have an impact on the students that I teach. I refuse to give up.

It's funny how those that say "well, I work 20 jobs to make ends meet!*" are the ones that are looking down on those of us that refuse to settle for less. (*exaggeration intended) The funny part about my field is that if you aren't actively in the system somewhere, you lose that license after (X) number of years. Thus, I'm in the sub system just to keep up.

I have respect for those that do the (X) number of jobs and work (Y) number of hours per week to provide. But I have no respect for those same people when they look down on those of us trying to push through to continue in our chosen professions. I'll continue to free-lance and work with kids until my permanent position comes up. (con't)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm not lazy, I'm not part of the "entitled" crowd, and I'm certainly not going to settle for less, and neither should anybody else. I will keep pushing back at the system that is trying to bully me into a corner that I refuse to back in to. I've over-educated myself to the point that McDonald's wouldn't hire me anyway. They wouldn't, actually. I've tried three times when I was desperate enough for cash. The response from the managers each time? "You're more educated than I am. I need to give this job to someone who truly needs it." Yup. That was the response I got. In my particular case, if a place of employment sees "educator" on a resume, they trash it. I've had FOUR interviews for places outside of my chosen profession in 2.5 YEARS, and all four passed me up for someone that didn't already have a career path chosen. Some teachers change careers over the course of their lives, but that's if they decide that they don't want to be on that path anymore. It's more convincing to employers if they realize that you aren't going to leave when the next teaching job pops up.

I've never had delusions of grandeur about what my salary would be. I never got into teaching for the big bucks. If I wanted to make tons of money, I would have gone to school to be a code monkey (and I almost did). I did this because I believe that I can make a difference in kid's lives. I'll continue to fight for that chance until the bitter end. Until then, I REFUSE to settle for any less. My relatives who immigrated here from Scotland and Ireland refused to settle for less, and many generations later, many of my family members are successful because they fought tooth and nail for it. I did my time "in the trenches" earlier in my life, and now I'm looking to reap the rewards of that. It will take more time and work, but it will happen.

I'm living my life, and I'm enjoying the time I get to spend with family and friends that I've been able to reconnect with. So I don't work "5 jobs" to make ends meet. I'm staying in my professional field.

Thanks for reading this two-parter. I just had to add my own $.02 from the position of a professional that refuses to settle.

-TS

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

Jimmy Carter warned us that we needed to get away from fossil fuels back in 1977. Then Raygun said that we had all the petroleum that this country ever needed for at least another century. He forgot (the Alzheimer's effect) to tell us that we would have to pay an arm & a leg or maybe 2 legs to fuel our cars. I no longer have a car and use public transportation but that is still expensive except for those of us who paid the price of being disabled but then life becomes even more expensive when you can't find a job especially under W's reign. Our job market never recovered under his administration because only the 1% made out.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812

Seeing these threads pop up, one after another, and be successful make me wonder who is posting in the threads.

If wages are so low, then how can internet bills be paid for?

Some people use their neighbors wifi

link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yup, I think I gave away all my old Richard Bach books...

“There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.”
― Richard Bach

Everyone should read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad".

There is this one part where Rich Dad is trying to teach the boys this lesson. He has them working in a little 7-11 type store, dusting cans, facing shelves. Each day they get a dime for the effort. Finally one of them notices they are throwing out the unsold comic books and asks to take them home. They rip the covers off so they can not be resold but what he does is open a comic book library and charges a nickel to come in and read the comic books to all his little friends. Lesson learned, opportunity seized. Good book, read it...

link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well said. Did you happen to see my post regarding opportunity? www.abovetopsecret.com...

What do you think about that?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

That has been used for years. Think the IBEW. I don't know if it could be expanded on though.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Stars and Flags whores... this is so silly.. Ats Mods, this doesn bug you ? Instead of 3 members striving to get stars and flags off a popular topic, this should of stayed in the FIRST THREAD. Keep your opinions and points in the original "job" thread rather make another one.. over 55 Stars and about 70 flags over something repeated

~ Love is an art

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Let me see if I understand. You believe that even though jobs exist, that people shouldn't take them because they don't pay enough?
What would your solution be? Take from me what I've worked for either through taxation (meaning you actually trust the gov. to actually do this and not just hold on to it themselves) or by some other means?

Listen up sunshine, I give to others whenever I can, and I do so cheerfully. However, try and take it from me and well, then you and I are going to have problems.

Can't afford a house? Don't buy one. Can't afford a car? Ride the bus. Can't afford steak? Eat bologna. Bottom line, stop coveting what your neighbor has and be content with what you do have like the rest of America has done for over 200 years until this most recent "I want yours although I didn't earn it and I am not about to work toward anything on my own because the gov will give it to me" generation.

Better yet, start your own country somewhere else with no industry and no capitalism. Just you, others like you and then elect someone to manage your life for you. Let's see how far you get?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You know...another solution that comes to mind is just to seize vast sums of money and property from the disgustingly and revoltingly rich as well as religious groups.

You know, this would serve another purpose too. See, when people like you actually get stupid enough to try this you'll find your numbers thinning out quite nicely.

Your mentality seems familiar, Germany circa 1938, just as the Nazi's were taking power. Your ideas are not new, just regurgitated, polished up and spit out anew from the leftists in the federal buildings in DC.

The sad part? They will actually let you go and get yourself killed because in the end, depopulation means a little more to them than you having a $100 bill instead of a $50. (A $100 you robbed from someone just before they shot you)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I agree that there are several factors leading to this. Big business shutting out the independent business owner, inflation, globalization, and world-wide economic down turn, are just a few, but....

I'm a nurse in the U.S., with an associate degree--2 years. My job pays me almost 80K/year. I work with people who make over 100K with over time, etc.. When I tell Americans that they could have a job like me, they say, "Oh no! I could never be a nurse!" Ironically, when I ask them what they think I do at work, they can't tell me. Most of the people I work with, whether they are nurses or people from other departments, such as radiology techs, etc., are foreigners. Heck, the people mopping the floors are foreigners.

My job is very stressful and tiring. Trust me, I put up with a lot of bull squash at work--politics, drama, huge egos, etc., but I own property, have plenty of food on the table, investments, and savings. What do people want? They complain that they don't make enough where they work, but they won't take jobs that are now being filled by people from other countries.

BTW, if you think it takes a "special kind of person" to be a nurse, think again. Very rarely do I deal with humans unless I'm getting paid, or I have to interact with them for some kind of business. I much prefer to socialize with just about any other species than my own, but I have a sense of ethics and when I'm at work, and I do my job well. I don't like my job, but it sure beats working at a fast food joint.

I think some of these people complaining that they can't get a job that pays well just don't want to do the work that it takes to get the job and keep it.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
This is a rebuttal to the 'other' thread espousing the wonders of a plentiful job market. Everything is okay because we can all just be creative and invent our jobs. It's that easy!

If all else fails just work 3 jobs and you'll be okay!

The problem is that the middle class is shrinking and allot of jobless people have worked for their degrees or invested blood sweat and tears in their trades and they're not going to settle for McDonalds. Most people aren't just trying to survive, they are trying to live, and perhaps have a chance at 'thriving.' If the job can't even meet basic needs, what's the point?

Sure you can start a business and watch it become successful, but the odds are it will not. You can try to invent something, but most likely it's been done, and the odds are it won't work out. Entrepreneurship is a risky business, and with limited resources, it's not worth it. With no source of income, you can't just keep trying to start a business and have it fail or you'll be on the street quick.

Reinventing yourself is another option, but again, not everyone can reinvent themselves so easily. Where is your source of income while you reinvent yourself? This is assuming you reinvent yourself and can find a job, then find yourself at the entry level again. Just because one person can do it and relate their positive anecdotal account does not mean it can be replicated by others. If it's that easy we wouldn't have a problem.

There's something bigger that needs to be addressed like outsourcing work and exporting jobs overseas. Something bigger like Mitt Romney coming in and laying off thousand of people so he can make his investors a nice profit. Something bigger like The Fed, debt, and economic bubbles that burst when the plutocrats play dice with our economy. Something bigger like the fraud, waste and abuse of our system.

So while you claim everything goes back to personal responsibility, you are ignoring economic factors that are putting hard working people on the streets and then mocking them because it worked out for you.

But of course, they must be lazy if it didn't work out for them!

I wonder how far this line of debate is going.

The point really is why should a first-world country like the U.S. have so many of it's citizens being forced to living standards like those of third-world nations, and also for other first-world countries as well. Surely, the people of those nations deserve a good standard of living for enabling their countries to be the affluent and powerful countries they are, right?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join