It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No jobs avalible anywhere!!!!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11
Yeah, why waste my time doing a second interview then not call me back when im more than qualified to do the job but oh, i didnt have a "favorite fashion designer", go # yourself..

I added to the rant.

Next time tell them your favorite fashion designer is Peter Vittale. That's going to get you the job! Brand new designer.

ETA: sorry that is a home designer, when I think of fashion designers I think of homes You probably meant clothing? I'd say dolce and gabbano
edit on 19-5-2012 by ldyserenity because: Spelled name wrong

edit on 19-5-2012 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I didn't read the first post or any of the thread.
I only came on to type this one word then I'm out of here.
Available.
Perhaps this person should look over their resume. Perhaps the phone number is written incorrectly and prespective employers cannot reach them. Just sayin..... And I know thats more than the one word I claimed but.....

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There is an unemployment problem yes. But where is the problem? Not enough jobs? I don't see it here. All the people I know bitching about no work spend their free time smoking blunts and partying. If they get $40 for an odd job they spend $35 on dope, $5 on cheeseburgers and then bitch the next day about being hungry.

Tons of people can't get work for the simple fact that they are not worth hiring. When they go to an interview they dress like scumbags. If the do get the damn job they show up late and drag ass all day.

I worked with some young men last summer that were 'sponsored' through the boy scouts in a program that tried to give opportunities to underprivileged youths. One of the two was good as gold, he was interested in learning the work and worked hard. The other one wasn't worth killing. He wandered around aimlessly, ignored directions and at one point we found him asleep on the job 4 times in 1 day. To top it off he managed to spend a few days in jail (missing time on the job) because he got arrested buying crack coc aine after work one day. Despite all of this they still cut him slack.

We had another kid who wasn't sponsored, early 20s who showed up 15-30 minutes late 4 days a week for 3 months. The old man cut him tremendous slack but eventually he got fired because somebody out there could give a # and have his job. These jobs start off paying 50% above minimum wage with no experience but despite that half the new help we get can't be bothered to give a damn.

There is plenty of work, the problem is there aren't enough folks with the drive to do it. They want air conditioning and a computer terminal, tell them to carry something heavy or dig a ditch and they shut down.

Now if none of this applies to you, its time to scratch up some change for a bus ticket and get the hell out of Detroit.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by inalandfaraway

It's obvious what happens when government policies don't keep people from earning a living.

Thank you for that reply and welcome to ATS. You are so right about government regulations.

We here in the US are under false impression then? We hear (and that is subjective) that after Mubarak stepped down the American backed (and armed) Egyptian Military carried on in his stead and nothing much changed. That protests in Egypt continue to this day. Now you come on and say this is all not true?

Since you live there could you show us maybe with some links that we are lied to about this state of affairs in Egypt. I much rather believe a citizen of that country as you claim to be(?) and would just humbly ask for more proof.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is why the 99 weeks the the Obama administration gives you for unemployments. A long layoff makes it harder to get back into the workforce. Extended unemployment on the surface appears helpful but the person on the extended layoff is the one who gets really hurt in the end

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I will go ahead and disagree. I live in Indiana, and it is relatively easy to find good paying jobs around here. You need work experience of course but anyone in their 20's and up should have plenty of that. Unless they decided to party in college, and not get a part time job.

Even if all you have is a High school diploma or GED. Just have to know where to look. Manpower will find you a job within weeks. All you have to do is pass a drug test. Point being there are jobs everywhere you just have to want to look, and want to work.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I read this thread from start to end and I can definitely commiserate with those feeling the crunch. I too, am now out of work, I have a few certificates and I spent 10 years in the military but for that past year, I was just doing housekeeping and janitorial work. Every place that I applied to that bothered to inform me of why I was rejected was because A: I had too little experience or B: I had too much experience. It's a beast in my town trying to find work, because even at the fast food joints, you gotta know somebody that knows somebody in order to get in. The "Good ole Boy" system is alive and well in these hard times more than ever, please trust and believe. So, you can have experience out the yin yang doing relevant work suiting the job description, but if the boss' son is friends with the CEO's freshly released from prison grandson, and needs a job...guess what? Jesus himself could have authenticated your credentials and you just outta gas.

I pretty much have made peace with things. I am proactive though. I put little home-made "business cards" in the laundromats and other places around town advertising my housekeeping services. I did three houses last weekend and made $500, which is not bad. But it's hard work. I'm not always so lucky. I do not have the funds to become licensed and bonded, but many people around here do not give a ding dang. I do have a simple CMA home made agreement form I use so people can't accuse me of jacking their crap, because I don't need that kind of drama. I won't clean unless the homeowner is present. Period. If you work under the table, be sure to cover your donkey.

My dream is to one day get out of this screwed up situation my husband has us in (long story short, a thrice refinanced house with a mortgage that is about 1.5x the actual value of the home) and get a piece of land in the deep countryside and have a few goats, chickens and a huge garden. Maybe a trout pond, a few ducks and geese and a few deer feeders...some fruit trees and nut trees. I want to be self sufficient as much as possible so if I starve, sink or swim, it will be by my own lazy or industrious hand. It's hard trying to cope in a forced slavery kind of environment where you are literally fighting like dogs for scraps off the "Master's" table. Woe be upon the "Masters" when the curs assemble into packs, armed with their hunger and tenacity and long suffering, and decide to eat "Master" and the fine meal on his fine table. I keep good spirits and wade in the water, but I also can't wait for that day.

Good luck OP. You already sound like you have a good sense of balance and humor regarding things. I like that quote from that Kung Fu flick, "Be like water", because you gotta be. Getting bent out of shape does nothing. Lazy rich and "wanna-be" rich (read: Lazy people with funds to spare) hate cleaning their McMansions. It's an option that only takes a little grunt work and you can make some change doing it to get by.
edit on 19-5-2012 by HoppedUp because: error

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Rural Canada here, lost my job in February due to pressure from China manufacturers... not much opened since.

Good luck to you all.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Bring back something like the CETA program instead of giving people unemployment checks. That way people won't get lazy. Put them working patching roads or other jobs that are necessary.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
reply to post by mutatismutandis

What you're saying about having more experience than others who are applying is not entirely true. I, for example, am a graphic design major, and when I graduate I'm going to be competing with people who have 20-30+ years experience in the field and who actually worked as art directors for major companies. I have no chance against a person with a ton more experience than me. It's a very competitive climate, and as a sound engineer he'd probably have more luck just working freelance with musicians rather than tying to be hired by a company.

Please allow me to clarify: With 2 associates degrees and the 19+ years of work experience the op is claiming to have, he should have no problem finding a job...might not be the job he wants, but a job none the less.

I don't disagree with you on the graphic design end, its a very difficult career field to break into even with a perfect economy. I myself was a film major, which I'm sure u know had very few jobs in the industry even before the colapse. I had no choice but to look outside my major, but I found a career that could atleast suit my financial needs.

Even on the graphic design end though, please don't take this as an attempt to get you to change career paths!

I can say for certain that the mgm resorts international corporate office has had atleast 10-15 graphic design positions open, and the big thing they are looking for is impressive portfolios.

They could care less what work experience you have if you can meet their artistic needs. Polish up your portfolio to the best of your abilities, don't let your experience be your downfall. A well put together portfolio speaks way more than anything anyone could ever put on a resume.

Not to mention, in your career field believe it or not, its the young blood they want to go after. Software changes constantly, so they are always seeking out those that are already working with the most recent releases. Many in the field neglect to keep up on their education, and its the new generation they are reaching out to take their place.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I hear you. I'm stuck in the job I'm in and no way out. Nothing out there at all and I'm barely making it.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Not much is different in Colorado. Im 19 and have worked numerous engineering internships and am well experienced with computers for my age, im going to school too. I've applied everywhere and its difficult even getting calls back, what makes things better is my car broke down 2 months ago making it even more difficult to find a job. I give you my best wishes.
edit on 19-5-2012 by heyitsphil because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
We here in the US are under false impression then? We hear (and that is subjective) that after Mubarak stepped down the American backed (and armed) Egyptian Military carried on in his stead and nothing much changed. That protests in Egypt continue to this day. Now you come on and say this is all not true?

No, I never said that.

The military has "carried on," and done quite a good job of keeping things together, especially considering the steep learning curve. People still get up in the morning and carry on with their day. This isn't Syria.

Yes, there are protests. This is true. There are also strikes and sit-ins.

But Egyptians did that before the revolution, too, so it's not new or unusual.

What I did say is there has been an obvious upswing in employment opportunities since the revolution. There has been a building spree going on, one that has significantly changed the landscape with 20 story apartment buildings going up in a matter of weeks. When an apartment is finished and sold, it creates a new home owner, and probably a new family as owning a home is mandatory for a man to get married. The wedding industry, home furnishings, neighborhood groceries, I can't begin to describe all of the new businesses I've seen - on the ground floor of these newly constructed buildings ... and on the sidewalks in front of them ... and in the street outside of them in the evenings.

Since you live there could you show us maybe with some links that we are lied to about this state of affairs in Egypt. I much rather believe a citizen of that country as you claim to be(?) and would just humbly ask for more proof.

I do live here, however I'm not a citizen.

I can't rebut what you've seen or heard until I know specifically what you are asking about.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

You're welcome.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Simply put, companies are going to hire what they think is the best investment at the time. In times of high unemployment, this means it is more difficult to overcome other candidates and simple luck (when there's 100 applicants for one job, eventually they simply make a choice, whether it is technically the best person or not.) there's plenty of jobs, but not enough of them to get everyone employed. I've voluntarily left 3 jobs since being laid off my job of 10 years - I have an easy time finding jobs, but I know it isn't that way for everyone, and it sucks.

Things will improve, they've already come a LONG way since 2008, but thus domino effect takes time. So slang dope for now (just kidding, don't do that), but be patient, keep working at it, work your network, and above all else...abandon Detroit!! Seriously. Go somewhere else, I can almost guarantee you;ll have better luck.

Good luck to you - remember, the middle class comes last in this economy, but our time will come.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yes getting a decent job usually requires experience over education. My last job hired a PHD, paid him well and he ended up getting fired for lack of experience and making ignorant decisions. Education isn't everything. One piece of advice is get out of areas were there are no jobs. Detroit is a known depressed area. my company is currently looking for 3 machine shop people with experience preferred but will hire trainable, intelligent people. I need a lab partner because mine is an idiot and I'm just dying to fire him as soon as I find a suitable replacement. That being said also realize not everybody is cut out for certain jobs. Also if your young, under 30, don't expect to get fantastic jobs and be able to afford a house, new truck and big screen TV. I'm approaching 40 and just bought my first house less than a year ago. And I drive inexpensive car with no awesome sound system. You have to turn off the tv. It gives people the wrong idea of what makes you a successful person. My wife and I were poor for a long time. Worked low paying jobs that we rode bicycles to and lived in cheap apartments. So my advice is look professional when you go to job interviews. Pull your pants up. Cover the tats, and settle in for a long road ahead.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
This is my rant, and many of you obviously will tell me how to conduct my life, tell me I am making horrible choices and that it is my fault that I am unhireable. You will declare to me that you know my situation more, that I should find a trade, that I should have more talents, be more accessible to the job market, find a certificate, get a degree, kill myself.

Well honestly this is my rant,the lack of Jobs in america, the big issue, the remaining issue. Go flip burgers you will say, well i just get through the interview, go do some other job, well they just turn me down for someone with more experience.
Welcome to the credential society! Jobs are becoming more difficult for average joes to become more accessible, Detroit, industrial city, easy job search right? Wrong, Unemployment is up an those who fell in the cracks of the void (after unemployment is over) are doom.
Welcome to the real world. Age 27, 5 years janitorial, Direct care worker (handicap) certified, 2 associate degrees, 2 years in assembly, industrial lines, 2 years grocery, 10 years experience as an audio engineer with 2 years professional intern

This is what I have become rapidly into, in a society that wants you to have (5 years experience on a machine press) or some Register nursing degree, or some other CDL hilo certified job

Everything is all mobilizing into education, which i am getting into (teaching) yes i know its a horrible job market, dont rub it in, at least i want to do something i like, mister accounting, ski lifting instructor.

Welcome to detroit

The fact is there are no jobs, at least in the midwest. Job markets are crap. Go do something stupid, there are plenty of jobs with massive lay offs, major pay cuts, outsourcing ect.

You cannot start a family getting paid 7.50 a hour. You need at least 10$.

All jobs no return in phone call or response. Internet search sites are (not all) a waste.
Don't even say start a home business, you dont know my living situation

It is a human and should be a human right to get a job, when you can't society gets piss. We americans (at least detroit, cause detroit is pissy enough) should uprise against these social constraints that are destroying america, THESE ARE REASONS WHY WE BECOME DOPE SLANGERS AND MURDERERS.

But i do have to LOL at myself

edit on 18-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

That is pretty bold statement that there are no jobs anywhere in the Midwest. Maybe there is no job for YOU but there are plenty of jobs, millions of people are working as we speak. Human right to have a job? Lol, see there is your problem you somehow think it is owed to you instead of you earning it. I don't think there is much help for you with that mind set. You are right you are screwed. Better take that $7 an hour job so you can put food in your families mouth instead of whining on ATS about not working.

Kinda pathetic to be honest. And before you ask, I am self employed. I couldn't find a job 6 years ago so I made one. You can't be thinking that it is a human right to have work if you want to be self employed though, you have to be willing to work hard and know that there is every chance you will still have nothing to show for it. But you do it anyway.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

There are PLENTY of jobs out there
You just have to use your mind

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
You people that are talking about how there are jobs everywhere really need to take into account where this person is talking about.

The OP is talking about Detroit, and if you think there are tons of jobs there, then you are nothing short of delusional and completely out of touch with reality.

A smart person would move. If you can't put food in your mouth in Detroit then you F"ing move, how hard is that to figure out? I guess that is why I have a job and they don't, I can think critically.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The baby boom in the developing world over recent decades may be caused by the precipitous decline of infant mortality in such countries due to vaccination and generic drugs for treatment of childhood diseases that have historically kept population growth within sustainable limits

As a result we now suddenly have billions of people who will work for food. The baby boomers and generation Xers have no understanding of the impact of this transition on young people in Western countries

My advice would be to learn some software skills using free resources on the Internet. Java is always in demand and relatively easy to learn. Oracle is harder to learn but pays better. The big one at the moment is HTML 5

Migrate somewhere within your own country and take a salaried position using the skills you learned well enough to pass the technical test at interview. Even if the salary is modest at least you have something to put on your resume

After a year working a salaried position you can go freelance anywhere in the World. The UK is crying out for skilled software people who will work in rural areas because skilled young people in the UK all want to be in London

I understand that Germany and Australia have a similar skills shortage in their rural areas

In coping with rural life, where hotels are scarce and don't like smokers, after a few months doing freelance you can buy a winnebago motorhome

Just park the motorhome nearby the office and move it once a week to avoid detection, keep upgrading the motorhome until you have one of those Mercedes hotels on wheels

And get an apartment somwhere nice and sunny where you can go in between freelance jobs; somewhere you can call home

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I say screw working for money these days.

That lifestyle is played out.

I'd rather have nothing, and turn it into something intense.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join