It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No jobs avalible anywhere!!!!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm currently employed, making less then half of what I made just one year ago. I was making 45,000 a year.. now.. barely 20,000.. I have had to move back in with my parents. The sad part.. I'm a diesel Technician!!! yet I still make less then some at fast food joints. My brother was making 75,000 a year.. now 35,000. My dad was making 80,000 a year, now 32,000... DO NOT TELL ME, "times are good you just cant see it"

I am now moved back in with my parents and cant find any work as a skilled technician/ fabricator.. something has got to give.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

That is already what I am doing! Way ahead of you. I work out of our Home. The city will not let me post a sign in my yard, but I have one on my front porch, attached to the structure. I place adds in our town forum, and on Craigslist, and I advertise on my van with signs in the windows. Believe it or now, I get the most business by word of mouth.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hey there are jobs but you have to move. Detroit sucks man deal with it. Why would you want to live in a city so rife with crime and negativity anyway. Move somewhere NICE. Well you could actually stay where you are but it would be easier to move to the gulf coast near Texas. Work for Kirby Inland Marine. Their office is in Houston. Google it. You will start off as a deckhand making 120.00 a day. And you have to live on a tug boat 14 days on on 7 off or 20 days on 10 off. After 3 to 9 months they will train you to be a tankerman, you basically watch the oil barges load and keep things from spilling out by shutting valves. They get paid 230.00 a day to 360.00 a day. Look up Tankerman jobs they pay well. You don't even need a high school diploma to do this. So it sounds like its right up your alley. After a few years you can become a wheelman and make 400-500 a day as a ship pilot. They do do drug testing and a criminal background test you have to get a TWIC card. So as long as your clean your good. On your days off you can have your own business or live somewhere cheap where your money goes a long way. There are jobs you just have to look to find them . Dress well for your interview, be positive, don't complain, do what your told at work. The advantages of this job are you really don't need to live somewhere your only off for a few days so stay with friends or get cheap hotel rooms and start paying off your debt. Hell live in Mexico or Panama. Not only that your not paying for food the ship buys whatever you want. No grocery bill, no electric no rent. Do the math. Stop being a whiney little brat and do something about your situation. Or you can SLING dope and live rent free in jail. Theres no helping some people.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Didn't I hear the Governor of Ohio talk about his state posting several thousand jobs on line recently.

It struck me as funny because he was sitting next to Mitt Romnie who had just lambasted the Obama administration for killing millions of jobs and doing putting everyone out of work.

One guy is talking about there being no recover possible and the other is talking up his states recovery in action.

I am working, about ready to retire, and glad of it. I just wished these politicians could get their talking points straight.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You could always move?
There are jobs. If you want a high paying job hen you have to have skills in demand or some kind of education. ATS doesnt count.
If you want a higher minimum wage job move to the NW.
I understand that you want a job and ranting helps with the stress, but being in Detroit isnt gonna help you at all.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
reply to post by usmc0311

my honest opinion is that the auto industry needs to transform itself into a auto/electronic industry, rather than just cars. Combine auto and silicone valley into michigan. Then see a world of change, but it will never happen.

Never happen you are right. Silicon Valley sold out to the far east when it sold the rights to make computers and chips overseas. Even Apple (based there) farms out all its products to China.

Sorry to OP and all the others who tell their tale of little employment. That is a scary thing for America. What does the Government think people are going to eat? Each other? Wait, scratch that.

It seems to me the problems world wide as evidenced by "The Arab Spring" and "Euro Zone" protests are all part of the same problem as whats occurring in America. Americans still have more resources but that is dwindling. When people here are hungry enough they will pour into the street like they have in Egypt, Greece and elsewhere. OWS will look like a picnic by comparison.

Thats why all the increased security measures everywhere and all the police state apparatus, legislation, whatever. Since the Powers that be won't stop being greedy, they will continue to squeeze more and more until revolt happens. They know this and plan to repress it. Damn restless natives. After all they done for you.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Rally other people in your States to pass a law saying NO ONE can hold a State job for over 20 years.

---There are people with enough time in at their State job to retire, they just don't want to....so you can't get those jobs.

Rally other people to pass a law for your COUNTY saying NO ONE can hold a County job for over 20 years.

---There are people with enough time in at their County job to retire, they just don't want to.....so you can't get those jobs.

Rally other people in your Country to pass a law saying NO ONE can hold a FEDERAL job for over 20 years.

---There are people with enough time in at their FEDERAL job to retire, they just don't want to.....so you can't get those jobs.

Merely passing these 3 laws would create 750,000 jobs in America, TOMORROW.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I can sympathize with your problem...my wife can sustain a typing speed on the high side of 90 words/minute, has a ton of experience as a technical writer, hands-on tech, and technical support responder, and after three years out of work, she's still looking.

All joking aside, part of your problem is Detroit. I don't mean that as any sort of insult, it's a simple economic and demographic truth. The city of Detroit is a miserable place to look for work, no matter what field you're in. If relocating isn't an option (and believe me, I know that it's a royal pain at the best), have you looked for a job in a skilled-care facility (better known to the general public as a nursing home)? It might not be what you want to do forever, and unless things have changed a lot since I was part of the business, the pay isn't great...but it is pay, and the homes we managed were almost *always* understaffed.

While I can definitely sympathize with your problem (see above), I do have to question your assertion that there is some 'right' to a job. Why? It's certainly not one of the rights laid out in the Constitution, and just because it would be nice to have a job (a point I'm not contesting in the slightest), that doesn't make it a 'right'. There are a lot of things that would be nice to have...a college degree (got that one), a nice house (nope), a new car (not even close), and my private pilot's license (don't make me laugh) are all on my personal list, but the fact that I want these things...or even that society might benefit in some way from my having them...doesn't elevate them to the status of 'rights'.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
"I found a job, I don't see any legitimate reason why you people can't." Am I the only one who doesn't understand how these people even got a job in the first place, seeing as to how they do not seem to possess the common knowledge to comprehend that they only got a job because of luck. I mean maybe if you know somebody that can "hook you up" you can find something but you still have to be lucky enough to know the right people. My gpa says that I am at the very least somewhat intelligent, and that's miles ahead of most of the people around here but I can't even get fast food joints to hire me when I'm looking for work in the Summer. I just really hope that during the next few years while I'm finishing my degree in electronics engineering, that something happens and the job market sees a vast improvement, otherwise our slave owners (U.S. government) wont be seeing any of that money they'll be wanting from me.

I know, I know, I'm a complete moron for even going to college in the first place, any company out there would be more than willing to hire me as an engineer without a college education, all I have to do is want the job, so don't even give me that little lecture. The thing is, you are not going to land a job in electronics engineering without a college education, I don't give a turd which god you pray to.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Rally other people in your States to pass a law saying NO ONE can hold a State job for over 20 years.

---There are people with enough time in at their State job to retire, they just don't want to....so you can't get those jobs.

Rally other people to pass a law for your COUNTY saying NO ONE can hold a County job for over 20 years.

---There are people with enough time in at their County job to retire, they just don't want to.....so you can't get those jobs.

Rally other people in your Country to pass a law saying NO ONE can hold a FEDERAL job for over 20 years.

---There are people with enough time in at their FEDERAL job to retire, they just don't want to.....so you can't get those jobs.

This would also surely bring about a lot of positive changes in our country, that's why it'll never happen though.

link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

CV ?

link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Wrong.
Let's assume that all three of these "wonderful" laws got passed tomorrow, and took effect Monday. How, exactly, would this 'create 750,000 jobs'? Every one of those jobs was already filled on Friday...then the new law emptied them on Monday, so the State, County, and Federal agencies now have 750,000 new openings...but they also have 750,000 newly unemployed people who are now seeking jobs. What have you gained here, exactly? Do you just expect people to put in 20 years, then quietly toddle off to the Soylent Green mills to get processed into snack food? For that matter, why limit this ridiculously bad idea to government? Why not slap the same restrictions on the private sector? All this would accomplish is the creation of new waves of unemployed people, and (as hard as it might be to conceive of such a thing) a reduction in government efficiency...after all, these 20 year veterans that you want to toss out the door are more than likely in supervisory and administrative positions, some of which have a very long and steep learning curve. This proposal would either replace them with new hires that lack the experience to do the job well (a Bad Thing), or simply result in the state hiring the best qualified person for the job (a Stupid Thing, since more than likely, that would be the person you just booted out).

Sorry...this is one of those ideas that makes me wish for a "triple facepalm" emoticon.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Jordan, don't listen to those bickering. I know you are in Detroit, and I'm aware how dismal it is there. Just had a friend from there 'try' to move back but there's just not much work or hope for it.

Like someone else mentioned, the money is in technology, trust us please. I'd say look into if any of the major cell carriers are setup in your area (TMobile, Sprint, etc), and try for a test or QA position. They are very unethical jobs typical here in the NW, it may be different elsewhere, all I know is it's good pay. Also look into any of the major search engine companies, and see if they got a branch nearby. I just got hired by the really big guys, but it's not very great pay, but much more fun work.

Another piece of advice is be very creative in your wording on your resume (implement power words), and tailor each resume for each job, telling them exactly what they want to hear in the correct order. If your interests have more pertinent info than your experience then it goes first, see? Tech jobs are all about the interview, never over dress (no suit or ties please), and be relaxed, easy going, and HONEST. If you don't know the answer to a question, simply tell them you'd Google it, seriously.

Another mindset in looking for work in this crappy economy is cater to who still has money and is spending it, the upper class. Believe it or not things like designer pet supplies stores and spas are doing well. As is pan-american designer foods, farmers markets, food carts and fresh roasted espresso. Oh and don't get me started on micro brew as well as micro distilleries popping up like crazy. Just some ideas where to look for some jobs.

My best wishes in finding work soon amigo!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
It seems to me the problems world wide as evidenced by "The Arab Spring" and "Euro Zone" protests are all part of the same problem as whats occurring in America. Americans still have more resources but that is dwindling. When people here are hungry enough they will pour into the street like they have in Egypt, Greece and elsewhere. OWS will look like a picnic by comparison.

Thats why all the increased security measures everywhere and all the police state apparatus, legislation, whatever. Since the Powers that be won't stop being greedy, they will continue to squeeze more and more until revolt happens. They know this and plan to repress it. Damn restless natives. After all they done for you.

The most amazing result of the Arab Spring has been job creation here, in Egypt. Before the revolution, it was next to impossible to open a business because of the necessary papers, stamps, fees, and pay-offs - and keeping it open required more of the same.

Not anymore.

In fact, it's a full on free-for-all and I'd go as far as to say that the only people not working are the people who don't want to.

It's obvious what happens when government policies don't keep people from earning a living.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Is there anyway I can help? I'm a writer and would be happy to help you write a cover letter and resume.

Sending hugs your way...

What a great jester!

People like you on ATS is what keeps me coming back to this site.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I worked for the state, who the heck wants that job...honestly it was one of the worse by far, more racism (from African Americans) more being treated like $#%*&%). More bullcrap than any job I have ever held. And you know what I would not take another state job again...I was constantly in hospitals for panic and anxiety attacks worse five years of my ever loving life!!!!

Goodness take a federal job, that's better.

edit on 19-5-2012 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Alberta canada you lazy # . I came from BC to alberta and it was like how you explained in BC but even 1 province to the right and there is work in ever single company here its retarded. # is always happening around the countries maybe its time to get out of the city and into a different town

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yeah, why waste my time doing a second interview then not call me back when im more than qualified to do the job but oh, i didnt have a "favorite fashion designer", go # yourself..

I added to the rant.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by inalandfaraway

We do not negotiate with terrorists in the USA
We send em to GITMO to be waterboarded, you bet ur you-know-what we'd never dare to do that in the USA.
We'd have better luck trying to get pigs to fly.

Wait they do on airforce 1

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I here you. I've been laid off since 09. Project Manager with a two year degree and experience and I can't even apply for the same type work without a four year degree. So here I am going back to college at 56 taking out another student loan in the hopes of getting a job doing the same thing I was already doing. Right now people with six year degrees are applying for these jobs and asking for less money than I was making. There are few jobs in Oregon and many unemployed. The only way I make it is I help out at a motel and get a discount on rent. I can say though that if you attend a college there are student jobs. I had a little four month gig in Graphic Art Dept that paid $11. It helped.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join