It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No jobs avalible anywhere!!!!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I keep getting the urge to launch this project, "ecoparity" (the source of my handle on ATS).

Basically it would rebuild local economies and help increase the use of sustainable, green products.

The idea is really simple and anyone can do this if you have the time, energy, etc. What the project team would do is go to economically depressed areas and start small businesses using local government bonds and tax breaks (the same kind of thing they would give a corporation to set up an office in the town).

These businesses would specialize in manufacturing green tech - wind and solar energy generators, computer milled furniture from recycled materials, clothing from recycled / sustainable sources, household products, even medium range electric vehicles. All of the products would be "open source" and use the latest computer based design and manufacturing processes.

When I approached a large community of the top industrial designers in the World about the idea I was flooded with requests to join and offers to contribute designs and engineering.

The idea would be to create decent paying jobs and local small businesses to source products we currently buy from multi national companies outside the US. As long as the products are competitive in price or cheaper, as well designed or better, equal or better in quality and certified as sustainable / green / organic there's a decent chance enough people in the community would purchase them which would rebuild the "village" economies that built a strong middle class.

Eventually these businesses would link up to support each other as suppliers and consolidate to some degree but with the right people involved and the establishment of a strong non profit governing body to keep things "correct" it can and will work. I strongly believe someone will do it eventually even if I don't.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
oh there is one more I forgot
knee bender to kiss you slave masters' buttocks...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

UH.... all I have to say to this is your right! You sound allot more qualified to work than me and you have done allot, so your definitely not lazy. This is what I called my congressman about( he wasn't at his office and apparently out of town that day!) I had a suggestion that they should offer a tax break too small businesses for hiring and "TRAINING" people to do the job. My problem was that toy's R us wanted me to have experience stocking toy's for 5 year's or they wouldn't hire you. I have four kids, I "KNOW" toys and how to put them on shelves for Christ sakes.
Thanks for the opportunity to rant.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Everybody to Norway than.... There is plenty job for everyone,and u dont need to learn Norwegian,English will do just fine.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

If you think the UK is full of jobs then you're wrong my friend. I'm seriously considering moving abroad just for the sake of finding some work.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
I find it fascinating how people who dont work say " you can't get a job because your not looking hard enough"

lets take California for instance. Jerry Brown, (now smoking Crack) thinks he can remove $8 Billion from the California state budget. WHERE? Every Government Agency....Austerity

In greece the only job left is gov.
jobs. They wont take a paycut
until they bleed everyone and thing
else dry.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I have been looking for work for 2 years. This past year I've just given up. I have not drawn welfare, my family just scrapes by. You are right there are no jobs and these credentials, THEY ALL LITERALLY EXPIRE. So what is the point of partaking unless I wish to be milked for the rest of my life to become more competitive to eventually earn less over time anyways.

I am sick to death of the "lowering expectations" we are being fed when it comes to working. 200 years ago people used to stake off land and build a house, but since then, expectations have been lowered to working one's whole life FOR NOTHING.

Maybe if you are middle class you'll get a home after 20-40 years, however, if you are not be prepared to have your life hanging on a thread and be made completely servile in order to keep that thread from being clipped.

It is time to tell your government they are no longer relevant they've achieved nothing but a disaster. And next to that time to get rid of transition town and their hijacked local currency offerings -- they will never mint silver coins as their goal is to ensure that the real value of money stays out of your hands during a collapse to ensure that people DO NOT REORGANIZE correctly and thus ensuring a period of chaos TPTB can take advantage of during global economic collapse. That is why these currencies are pegged to the value of nothing, or to the value of FIAT FEDERAL CURRENCY. These systems involving exchange are flawed because the paper you are using is still worthless, local currency or federal currency alike.

I say accelerate the failure. If this ain't the land of opportunity there's no reason why you should sit around and let society continue to force you into the waiting game, the sooner the system fails the sooner new opportunities will arise.

Stop negotiating with these people you either get a fair wage or you perform NO WORK FOR THEM. The problem is that when you decline they will ship in immigrants from a place worse off who'll accept a job that is a step above THEIR lowered standards. This is how they've chipped away at the general public's willingness to work for a wage -- first they start the people off at something decent and offer lots of opportunity and then gradually the opportunity disappears and the wages toilet. Right now we are in the toilet. It's ok the middle class will soon join us, maybe then they will feel like fighting back. Why on earth are so many people willing to tolerate working for nothing?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Dont Give Up Please! Its bad here in NC! I have been looking for a second job with no sucess yet. I cant make it on my 10.24 an hour. All of us may be living in Tents soon..but if we come together and move out West and live off the land..that will be an option. Its hard everywhere! Teenagers cant even find jobs down here.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I've been out of work since November. I got a job at Wal-Mart last month, but I live in a very rural area and the Wal-Mart is literally over an hour away. Driving an hour to work for only $8/hr is not worth it. Plus they wouldn't give me full time... I was getting like 25 hours a week. And this job was welllll below my experience level. I have experience in advanced electronics, IT work, pretty much every type of office work, former military, and this was the only job I could snag, and yet they treated me like I was an idiot who didn't know how to clean and scrub a floor (I did it just as well as the others). Well, the paychecks did not match my bills and gas money, so I had to quit. I also have a wife and 2 children.

That's a big problem. People say, "Just get a job! ANY job!" No it doesn't work like that. Depending on circumstances, some people cannot afford to just walk into their nearest Wal-Mart or McDonald's and get a minimum wage job. Unemployment pays better than that, and gives you the chance to keep looking for other, better jobs, most of which you don't have to leave your computer to apply for. Though the problem with that is, like it's been said before, you need 5 years of experience in something to get any of the good jobs, and yet it calls itself and "entry level position". Employers are the ones who are too picky.

Luckily, I might be about to get a good job at a State Prison nearby. I just found out yesterday that I aced their test, and the next step is my physical agility test and the interview. If I get this job, I'll be salary, but I'll be making the equivalent of ~$18/hr, with excellent state benefits. Now that is a salary that I can start building a career out of and supporting my family comfortably on.

I don't know about other states, but here in Missouri, the Department of Corrections is always hiring. Just an idea for anyone who thinks they would be willing to work around dangerous criminals every day.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

Pay scale has nothing to do with the issue, he is referring to jobs that people see as dirty, disgusting, maybe even "childish" to have. I am a long haul trucker, with many years experience, including heavy haul and dimensional. Currently in the area I live (oilfield) things are slow right now due to "road ban", so I have taken a job delivering pizza. Any honest money is good money. There are jobs out there that do not require experience, or you may just need to move, I have done that too, when I was 18 I hitch-hiked nearly 1600 miles, and lived under a tarp tied between 2 trees for a few weeks looking for work. I found it., I didn't wait for it to come to me.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
"5 years janitorial, Direct care worker (handicap) certified, 2 associate degrees, 2 years in assembly, industrial lines, 2 years grocery, 10 years experience as an audio engineer with 2 years professional intern"

In real English, you were a janitor, and then you worked at a rest home, you worked in a factory, worked at a grocery store, and then a car audio outlet...... is that about it? These degrees and internships....... worthless titles in actuality. As for getting work, You will have to find your own method of 'happening'. and not count on those here for suggestions, these guys likely don't work either. Nobody is going to make you an executive, you have to pay your dues. you want bucks? are you willing to work and sweat? .................the 'news' has been all but asking for people to go to North and South Dakota to do oil work...... big money there, if you have any desire. Or keep looking in the newspaper and in the city and get minimum wages for mindless drone work.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

Age 27, 5 years janitorial, Direct care worker (handicap) certified, 2 associate degrees, 2 years in assembly, industrial lines, 2 years grocery, 10 years experience as an audio engineer with 2 years professional intern

I do agree there are some major issues with unemployment...

BUT as a hiring manager, if you handed me the above as your resume here is the reasons I would not hire you.

Please do not take offense, as this is only my opinion, but this is part of what I look for in an employee.

#1. 5 years janitorial
+2 years industrial line work
+2 years grocery

Right away this says to an employer, either he's one "hell of a" worker, of he's full of crap.

#2. Even if giving you the biggest room for doubt, and saying you worked from 16 years old...that's still just under an average of 80 hours a week, and you want an employer to believe you still had time to go out and get two associates degrees on top of that.

This is the reason you do not have a job, because as an employer, if I looked at that resume I would say "heck no we aren't hiring him!"

Now don't take my words the wrong way, you may very well have all the experience you are claiming, but from an employer standpoint it sounds very far fetched.

If this is how you present your resume, my suggestion to you would be cater your resume to the job your going for. 10 years audio experience sounds great, but if your applying for an industrial job they're going to think its a joke you even put it on there.

Revamp your resume and market yourself for each position. Provide a cover letter if need be to explain the gaps in employment rather than filling your resume with unrelated job experience.

With the experience you are claiming to have, you should have no problem finding a position because you would be much more ahead in the game than most applying.

My suggestion, revamp your resume and give it a shot for a week or two, then come back and revisit this thread if you find it to be the same case.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Of course there are no jobs anywhere, unemployment in America is pushing over 50% Out of a population of ~310 million, ~80 million working age adults are either unemployed and have given up looking for work, or are underemployed. On top of this, ~9% of the population is officially "unemployed," which comes out to around another 30 million. That's 110 million working age people either unemployed or underemployed. This is a little more than a third of the population. Now, out of the ~310 million people in America, let's assume that 1/3rd of the population is either under working age or past retirement age, this leave ~200 million working age Americans, 110 million of which can't find reasonable work.

This is why there are no jobs anywhere.

To survive this economic climate, people need to start thinking outside of the box. The establishment is crumbling and we're steadily approaching another depression. Basically look towards self-employment as a way to make it through the next few years, especially if you have a more or less insecure position; learn a skill that lets you freelance, such a programming, web design, graphic design, etc, and be prepared to work hard or suffer.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My daughter was turned down for a job at a chicken franchise because she didn't have experience frying chicken their way. However, she does now have a job as a press operator in a factory making metal gaskets. She's grateful to have the job, but tonight will be her 20th straight night of working and there's no break in sight. Perhaps she will get Memorial Day off, but it's not a sure thing, so she will make no plans. This company she works for is notorious for working their employees to their breaking point, then laying them off after the corporate guys realize they've over produced.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My daughter was turned down for a job at a chicken franchise because she didn't have experience frying chicken their way. However, she does now have a job as a press operator in a factory making metal gaskets. She's grateful to have the job, but tonight will be her 20th straight night of working and there's no break in sight. Perhaps she will get Memorial Day off, but it's not a sure thing, so she will make no plans. This company she works for is notorious for working their employees to their breaking point, then laying them off after the corporate guys realize they've over produced.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mutatismutandis

What you're saying about having more experience than others who are applying is not entirely true. I, for example, am a graphic design major, and when I graduate I'm going to be competing with people who have 20-30+ years experience in the field and who actually worked as art directors for major companies. I have no chance against a person with a ton more experience than me. It's a very competitive climate, and as a sound engineer he'd probably have more luck just working freelance with musicians rather than tying to be hired by a company.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Out of curiosity, what would you consider demeaning? Prostitution? Because it doesn't get much lower than cleaning up poop.

Funny, Nurses, including RN's regularly clean up nasty little things like poop, and I would hardly call their jobs demeaning. I have literally crawled on my belly through human excrement to repair severs under mobile homes, I have been sprayed with the same while using the services of a vac truck to suck large rocks out of sewers under mobile homes, I have had people flush their toilets on me when they KNEW I was under their mobile home working on their sewer. I did all of this while working with/for my father during slow times. I have cleaned car washes, I have crawled through mud in crawl spaces under houses to run heating duct, I have worked as a night clerk at a truck stop while "interning" with a trucking company, earning my CDL, I have done some pretty nasty smelling, dirty things to make an honest dollar. The dignity is not in how much you earn, or what you did to earn the money, but rather in the fact you did what you needed to do to earn an honest pay check.

Wiping peoples butts is hardly "low", I try my best to take care of my elderly father, and that means sometimes helping clean him up, or change his adult diaper if he is having difficulty, and I do it for free. As I said in a previous comment, I currently drive around with a "bubble" on the roof of my little pick-up delivering pizza in the evenings, because things are slow (7 hours in the last 6 weeks) at my "real" job driving hot-shot in the oilfield.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

I hate to say, from experience, oilfield work IS mindless drone work, but well paid mindless drone work because it is inherently dangerous mindless drone work, unless you work your way up the ladder, again, by paying your dues.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
took me a year just to get the dead end job i have now and i'm a nicely decorated veteran, so don't feel bad dude, its hard for all of us out here, jus keep your head up and keep searching.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

You're looking in the wrong places then. Last week, I was offered 3 different positions with companies in the technologies field. Trust me when I say there are careers out there. Sacrifice for the smaller job now, compensate later.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join