It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D glasses-free at home is for tomorrow!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
reply to post by abecedarian

that was the last problem the "original" creators had to fix...i think it is impossible and this patent will be more like for computers or singles^^

So, a handheld video game is in development....
PSP3d

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Microsoft has been there, done that:

arstechnica.com...

The 3D display uses a camera to track viewers so that it knows where to steer the light; the idea isn't new, but the required CPU power is now affordable and small enough to pull it off on a large scale.

Would be interesting to see Microsoft release their own displays with the kinect interface built-in. That would enable 3d tracking as well as various "kinetic" interfaces.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

How far away can things look on the 3d TV's? A mile away? A few feet?

As I understand it, our eyes take two pictures of something from two different angles. From this it's able to derive the depth perception that gives things their 3d-look.

A narrow V is far away and a wide V is close, if the top two points of V are the eyes.

So if you add both angles reaching both eyes then the bigger it's, the further away the object is.

The angle at the bottom of V is small(er) if the object is far away.

If this is close to the truth then it's interesting to understand how our brain derives its information. There're so many forms of sensory organs and brain processes that accompany them. Amazing. I saw on a nature show the other day that there're salamanders that live in perpetual darkness in underground caves in water. Their eyes slowly de-evolved and what happened was they now use their skin to sense vibrations in the water. It's like the brain uses whatever information it can.

The brain is good at deriving things, but how much of it's random genes in dna? I guess this goes into things that're off topic. Like natural selection or something. Sorry, it's just interesting.
edit on 13-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I bought a small 8 in tablet pc from China that is 3D no glasses. And its pretty cool but I hardly ever use it.

But I also bought a 3D camcorder for a couple hundred bucks on-line and so I was thinking I wanted to get into it but not pay the high price. The camcorder viewfinder is 3D no glasses. The LCD screen.

So I bought a home theater projector, for 570 bucks, that projects your desktop onto your wall even in bright light, and its as clear as hi def 1080P and in my case for my bedroom, to have a 7 foot screen, I went for the short throw projector with a 720P resolution, and you know 1200x800 pc. And it claims to do glasses 3D. If you have the right video card and the video card must be able to do 120 MHZ refresh rate, so that it can be split into two 60 MHZ channels one for each eye.

Unfortunately the graphics card I bought when I built my new pc for it, said it did every kind of 3D but it doesn't do 120 MHZ. I had already bought the glasses so I will need to upgrade my video card before I can watch glasses 3D on my wall screen.

But I don't care really because I bought some cheap red and cyan glasses and watched some youtube 3D and it was nothing special. So having the 3D camcorder that may be enough encouragement for me to watch some 3D otherwise the lack of content makes it not that interesting. And it may not be as comfortable to watch 3D as it is to watch 2D. So then really it all becomes just a gimmick.
At this point I don't know.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Apparently they only focused on the distance between the TV and the viewer, I don't see an easy way of solving the different viewing angle problem.

I think that 3D TV is not as important as colour TV (for example), because there is no way of knowing what colour things are in a black and white TV, while we usually have several references to give us an idea of depth.

When several people in the same room, at different distances and viewing angles, can see a convincing 3D TV image without using any glasses (or similar) I will consider it done, meanwhile it's just a toy and a way of the industry to make some money.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I think 3D TV's are already obsolete tech. Anything that requires you to watch at a physical box, be it in 3D or not is sooo 20th century don't you find?! No, I see the evolution of home entertainment grow towards the full holographic rendering of the movie in your living room. You'll be literally IN the movie, can you imagine?!

Ahhh dreams

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFCG2012AFHS
reply to post by elevenaugust

I think 3D TV's are already obsolete tech. Anything that requires you to watch at a physical box, be it in 3D or not is sooo 20th century don't you find?! No, I see the evolution of home entertainment grow towards the full holographic rendering of the movie in your living room. You'll be literally IN the movie, can you imagine?!

Ahhh dreams

I am thinking of making a veldt in my room. My bedroom is my computer room. Its a multi function room, and as I said previously I spent 570 bucks on a projector to project my screen on the wall. Thats the newest thing.
And if you have a computer already, then it can do 3D and so 570 bucks as opposed to 3 thousand for a 3D TV.

I will show you what it looks like...
www.bhphotovideo.com...
So I found a deal on that at VUUGO for 570 bucks. And its whats called a short throw projector so it can throw a large image on the wall from not that far away. So its 9 feet away and I have a 7 foot screen but what I really wanted was an ULTRA short throw projector. And with one of those, I could have potentially filled the entire wall.

So if you can fill the entire wall, then you can make a veldt. And a veldt is a wall that has a 3D projection on it that looks real.
So instead of a wall, you could be looking out at Niagra Falls. Or any scenery that you can get a video feed of or from a recorded feed in a loop, like a wall that is an aquarium.

The G20 conference that was held in Canada recently used that technology to stage remote conferences that had the same scenery as the main event which was in Northern Canada. Part of that event was held in Toronto as the Toronto Summit, and a veldt was created to tie the conferences together.
Apparently Wikipedia objects to my calling it a veldt.
But it comes from a story by Ray Bradbury.
en.wikipedia.org...

an artificial lakefront based on Muskoka region's cottage country.[52][53] The Northern Ontario Oasis included donated canoes, a shoreline with deck chairs for journalists to cool off, and a mobile phone recharging station. The background was a large screen that portrayed various images of the Muskoka region.[54] The cost of the international media centre, the Experience Canada pavilion, and artificial lake, which were $23 million, $1.9 million, and $57,000 respectively, was the target of controversie

So for under a thousand dollars you can turn your wall in your room, any room, into a live scene, and these projector bulbs are so bright, they project a life like image with all the lights on in the room no problem.

The future of this might be to give people a view from their apartment, not through windows, but through fake windows by projecting a nice scenic view onto a wall.

I will never ever ever go back to a normal LG type monitor. Try the 7 foot hi def projection screen, You will not go back to squinting while looking at details on your screen. And in my apartment we have 4 large screen TV's.
3 guys sharing an apartment. And my one roommate was soooo proud of himself when he bought a bigger LG monitor than I had. Well needless to say we are no longer in the same league, now that I have the projector.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Referring to the 3d without glasses: future of 3d tech? we can say that Sony could do it in 2 ways:
1. create a movable grating, connected to the device, simple to echo-sounder, which will detect a distance to the spectator.
2. create a flexible lens system, which will change it's form just like our eye.
3. your variant.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join