It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D glasses-free at home is for tomorrow!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Sony has filed a patent with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office for a glasses-free 3-D display that will adjust the picture so that the user gets an optimal view no matter how far or close to the screen.

In its application, “Stereoscopic Image Processing Method and Apparatus,” Sony defined its patent intent: “A stereoscopic image processing method for a stereoscopic image pair forming a 3-D image comprises the steps of evaluating whether the distance of a user is closer or further than a preferred distance from a 3-D image display upon which the stereoscopic image pair is to be displayed, and if the evaluation indicates that the user is further than the preferred distance from the 3-D image display, adjusting the respective displacements between corresponding image elements in the stereoscopic image pair, thereby changing the stereoscopic parallax in the 3-D image.”

What this means is that Sony is planning to resolve the disadvantages of no-glasses 3-D viewing in the home.
Critics have often noted blurring and other compromised effects that make the 3-D viewing experience less than desired just because the viewer is not in the best position. The success of autostereoscopic (glasses-free) 3-D has depended highly on the viewer’s angle and distance from the screen. With Sony’s 3-D viewing concept, the application would be able to detect a user’s distance from the screen and adjust the separation of images accordingly.

Read the whole paper here: source
edit on 13-5-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-5-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
i love this tech, have seen it about 10 years ago @ an university...i told my dad "thats coming at my home in a few years" and he was like "nooo, we just invented it for science, nobody will every research on it for a home operation" then few years ago when i saw it at a tech convention i totaly freaked out...invention is by Frauenhofer, at the point i saw it they said they are already negotiating between two companies...seems like sony made the deal =) and speaking as an insider, they already have a converter to make the normal tv "pictures" into 3D...imagine eveything on tv in 3D...i am just wondering if its just for one user or for multiple...that was the last problem they have when i was talking to the frauenhofer guys =)
edit on 13-5-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Damn... Its so sad I get the craziest headaches when I watch 3D.

But it looks good and nice, but my eyes just cant handle it

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Hmm. A tv that watches you watching it. I'm not too sure i like that idea. I do however, like the idea of a 3D screen without glasses that is watchable from any angle.
I own a 3D mobile phone and a Samsung 3D tv, and i can tell you that the phones 3D without glasses if FAR superior in it's capabilities. The pop out effects are just stunning, with things appearing to come out of the screen MUCH further than my display that uses shutter glasses.
Also, there is no dimming of the screen like you get with the glasses displays, so color reproduction is perfect.
The only downside is the poor viewing angle. If you are slightly off then the 3D effect is lost.
If this new system from sony works, i believe 3D will really take off.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
First off what are your thoughts? You just post some links and external quotes and nothing about what you think. Why did you share this?

I personally dont like 3D. I wear glasses and find the 3D glasses not so friendly for people who wear glasses. I get headaches watching 3D. I think it's cool tech but I dont see the hype with 3D. It just seems like a new fad.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Why is it any less an advancement than colour tv, flatcreen tv or HD tv ?
It's a natural progression, the next step in the viewers involvement with what they are watching, enhancing the experience.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
First off what are your thoughts? You just post some links and external quotes and nothing about what you think. Why did you share this?

I personally dont like 3D. I wear glasses and find the 3D glasses not so friendly for people who wear glasses. I get headaches watching 3D. I think it's cool tech but I dont see the hype with 3D. It just seems like a new fad.

Hi mblahnikluver!

Well, I'm a science guy and I like to share everything that could improve our understanding of everything that's around us.
I'm also fascinated by what human brain can create. I would never thought some years ago that one day we will be able to see in 3D without glasses.

It also arise some questions, as for example how exactly will it works for people like me that constantly wear glasses (I'm a myopic guy
)...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sayzaar

how about the cams in laptops or your webcam starring at you all the time or the motion cameras for all the video game consoles...i guess we have to life with the fear that its possible...from a technicle point the display itself is capable of doing it (watching you) but thats another story...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

glasses-3d with glasses is a very difficult thing to watch, the non-glasses 3d is easier to watch because the whole messy red-blue thing isnt needed anymore...

and in general...nobody buys a first generation car....i totally did not got why sooo many people blindly buyed these tvs...especially because the glasses free version was already invented and known in public (at the tech conventions)..pretty good estimation from the tv companys that soooo many people will waste their money on the glasses tvs and about 5 years later there are much better ones without glasses (and lets face it, who wants to wear these glasses)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sayzaar

WHERE did I say that?

I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

Yes it's the next advancement but I dont think it;s anything to be compared to color TV. Most people I talk to think 3D tv is ridiculous. I personally dont see the point of it but that is my preference.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

so where is the advancement from playstation 2 to playstation 3....more fun...how about that?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust
Hi mblahnikluver!

Well, I'm a science guy and I like to share everything that could improve our understanding of everything that's around us.
I'm also fascinated by what human brain can create. I would never thought some years ago that one day we will be able to see in 3D without glasses.

It also arise some questions, as for example how exactly will it works for people like me that constantly wear glasses (I'm a myopic guy
)...

I too am fascinated by the human brain/mind. It is capable imo of many things we don't yet know or fully understand.

I wear glasses too!! I saw Avatar in 3D by accident and it gave me a headache. I guess I might enjoy it if I could actually watch it without feeling nauseous. So far they haven't done anything for people with glasses and those that I know with glasses have the same problems with 3D while viewing through glasses. Wearing two pairs of glasses at once with a gap between them isn't comfortable. I really would like to see how they remedy this.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

they have now...3d without glasses

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen

so where is the advancement from playstation 2 to playstation 3....more fun...how about that?

Who mentioned video games?! I don't see how you can compare a video game to 3D tv? I do not play video games and from what I have I find Playstation games uninteresting and violent. Also I think saying one is more fun than the other IS preference not truth.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen

they have now...3d without glasses

If you WEAR glasses instead of contacts it's a completely different experience in 3D and it doesn't matter if you have 3D glasses or not..

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I can't help but think that 3D is merely a fad.

Whilst it's restricted to the TV screen that is.

You can get away with it at the cinema because the screen fills up your whole POV, but at home, it's silly, since things that come out at you only come out until they reach the edge of the screen, then they're gone and ruins the whole illusion...

Just my opinion of course and bring on goggle free Virtual Reality!

Oh and is it just Australia that is getting really, really crappy "3D" adverts before movies?

Got a long way to go, they do!

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

so you have tried the new "3d without glasses"-technology? -no

how can you then say it wont work...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Incorporate that display into a tablet pc and we can have a Star Wars holographic chess set.

I can't wait.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
How does it adjust the picture when more than one person is in the room?
How does it determine the eye separation?
How does it compensate for cross-eye, wandering eye, etc?

edit on 5/13/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

that was the last problem the "original" creators had to fix...i think it is impossible and this patent will be more like for computers or singles^^

the rest makes a very complex software

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join