It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Carnivores Tell Us Why It’s Ethical to Eat Meat: A Contest, A Summary, A Winner

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Vegetarianism is all very wonderful, but can lead to health problems due to lack of serotonin in their diet. Serotonin is usually derived from eating meat. Serotonin is essential for nerve and brain function. Without it we develop paralysis. Text Blue

Serotonin is not contained in animal products nor is it contained in vegetables or fruit any more than testosterone or estrogen is contained in your diet. Serotonin is a hormone secreted in the brain and deeply affects our mood.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
if it isn't OK to eat animals ...
how come they are made out of meat?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ok... I'm only writing this thread to put the op in his place for asking such a dumb question. If eating meat is ethical. Back in the hay day around ten thousand years ago, there were hunters and there were gatherers. And all throughout history, there were people who enjoyed eating meat. Meat has been on the menu since the dawn of man and will continue to be on the menu until the fall of man. However... I do totally agree with the Muslim way of slaughtering animals. They bless and thank the animal for the sacrifice it is about to make in order to fill the stomachs of the populace. I personally think the rest of humanity needs to adopt this concept.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enemyc0mbatant
Ok... I'm only writing this thread to put the op in his place for asking such a dumb question. If eating meat is ethical. Back in the hay day around ten thousand years ago, there were hunters and there were gatherers. And all throughout history, there were people who enjoyed eating meat. Meat has been on the menu since the dawn of man and will continue to be on the menu until the fall of man. However... I do totally agree with the Muslim way of slaughtering animals. They bless and thank the animal for the sacrifice it is about to make in order to fill the stomachs of the populace. I personally think the rest of humanity needs to adopt this concept.

Lol since you write this I realize I dont actually do it, I make thanks for the sacrifice in my head as I always thought of it as a good concept. But im going to start to try to remember to say a prayer before I eat to give thanks. But its like I was giving thanks to the whole ideaology in my head already for most of my life. I guess my question is does that count heg? And the answer I get is if the belief is sincere then the person can go about giving thanks however they want. As long as they are giving thanks.

Still gonna try to say it out loud though heh.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
eating meat is deliciously ethical !

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I'd just like to comment on some of the comments:

1. If eating meat is what made humans advanced evolutionary species, why haven't the lions not evolved yet?

2. Eating meat requires that the animal dies. Eating vegetables does not involve killing the plant, more like 'milking' the fruit. Some plants like pinneapples can be eaten then replanted. Its not a matter of ethics its a matter of efficiency.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Vegan Athletes
More vegan athletes

You have given a tired old argument. If you don't work out you will be weak. Do your Vegan friends workout with weights? Probably not. That has little to do with what they eat. I can take you to several homes right now full of fat, weak meat eaters. Fat and weak meat eaters vastly outnumber sick vegans in this country.

Ok, moving on from that, for the record I do eat meat. Regarding human protein needs-The amount of protein you need is vastly overstated.

The WHO protein figures translate into 56g of protein a day for a (75kg) man, and 48g for a (64kg) woman. The recommendations of the UK Department of Health and Social Security (DHSS) are slightly higher, at about 68g a day for sedentary or moderately active men, and 54g a day for women (2). Both these official recommendations suggest that eating 10% of our daily energy as protein will provide an adequate amount. The NACNE report (3) proposes a protein intake of 11%. National and international recommendations for protein intake are based on animal sources of protein such as meat, cow's milk and eggs. Plant proteins may be less digestible because of intrinsic differences in the nature of the protein and the presence of other factors such as fibre, which may reduce protein digestibility by as much as 10%. Nevertheless, dietary studies show the adequacy of plant foods, as sole sources of protein (see Combining Proteins below), as does the experience of healthy vegans of all ages.

www.notmilk.com...

Human breastmilk is actually less than 1% protein. If you needed so much protein why isn't it present in higher amounts in breastmilk? You would think babies would need it more than us since they are doubling their birthweight in at least 6 months.

The level of Immunoglobulin A (IgA) in breast milk remains high from day 10 until at least 7.5 months post-partum.[20] Human milk contains 0.8% to 0.9% protein, 4.5% fat, 7.1% carbohydrates, and 0.2% ash (minerals).[21] Carbohydrates are mainly lactose; several lactose-based oligosaccharides have been identified as minor components. The fat fraction contains specific triglycerides of palmitic and oleic acid (O-P-O triglycerides), and also quite a large quantity of lipids with trans bonds (see: trans fat) that are considered to have a health benefit. They are vaccenic acid, and Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) accounting for up to 6% of the human milk fat.[22][23]

en.wikipedia.org...

So, is this protein line really true? And even if it is-Do you need to eat meat to get it? No, plants have protein. Some more than others, bean are an incredibly cheap source of protein. You can get plenty with beans. In fact, many of the countries with the longest life span don't have diets rich in meat at all.
en.wikipedia.org...
Japan and Hong Kong are generally starch eaters with hardly any meat and their main protein being fish, soy and other beans.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Vegetarians also generally live longer than meat eaters. If they were so sick and pale how is it they are outliving most omnivores? Generally speaking, most American's eat too much meat and sugar. If they went veg for awhile it might do them some good.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Is it ethical when a shark eats a human? Has nothing to do with ethics...it's called nature.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I like meat way too much to ever give it up, that and I see no reason too.. Vegans will preach all day long about how its wrong to eat animals, blah blah, at the same time they are pulling plants from their roots and cutting them up for a meal...

We are animals, animals need food.. We didnt evolve with canines for no reason, we evolved this way because meat is essential to the human diet.. Not only that but I like to be prepared, I spend a large majority of my time out in the wilderness and if I was ever caught out there hunting and processing my own meat would be a must, however no Vegan would be able to do this.. Its well known that once you stop eating meat for long periods of time it becomes very hard to start eating it again unless you start slowly.. lots of Vegans are unable to eat meat because they get physically sick, however what would someone like that do in the wild?

The last thing you want in a survival situation is to vomit, it dehydrates you and causes you to starve quicker, yet how would a vegan collect the plants they need to survive?? Most Vegans have no idea what plants are ok to eat and what is toxic, not only that but by the time you collect enough food you would have used a substantial amount of calories that is almost impossible to regain on plants alone..

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shagga

The last thing you want in a survival situation is to vomit, it dehydrates you and causes you to starve quicker, yet how would a vegan collect the plants they need to survive?? Most Vegans have no idea what plants are ok to eat and what is toxic, not only that but by the time you collect enough food you would have used a substantial amount of calories that is almost impossible to regain on plants alone..

And most modern humans have no way of telling when meat is fit for consumption (outside of technoligic intervention). Most of you would die from eating bad piece of meat. Concerning calories-They are plenty of calorie dense plant foods-Nuts are a prime example.
edit on 6-5-2012 by antonia because: added something

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

You must have forgot to eat your turnip today... A) I like strong bones, B) humping it with a 100lbs pack as a Marine requires protein (whey to be specific)...C) it tastes damn good...

I have friend from India that are Veg heads and they are always complaining about spraining this and hurting that and I asked my medic why this was and he said because they lack strong bones and ligaments...( I am no expert so don't accuse me of pretending to be one )...

There is a reason (other than meds) bodybuilders are so damn strong and rarely get hurt (outside of the gym) because of A) muscle mass B) strong bones...

I personally weigh 250lbs at 8%bf because I weight lift, eat a lot of chicken and steak, I notice the differences from when I was weaker and had less muscle...

Sniper

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Personally I would eat anything to survive, but given the choice I would pay a price premium for free range or wild meat
reply to post by QQXXw

I agree and try to purchase only free range meat, and eggs. If I cannot afford it, I wait until I can.
edit on 6-5-2012 by hypattia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Simply put I don't even see meat eating as an ethical issue. Animals aren't alive in the same way you and I are. They are unaware of time. They have a very low sense of self and eating them shouldn't be given much regard. I am a staunch supporter of animal welfare and rights, in the same way that I am against vandalism because acting in a cruel or inconsiderate way to any part of our environment can only serve to lower us as a people. Raising animals to be slaughtered and eaten though? That's something else. It's in a controlled environment. It's not about sadism or inflicting torture. It's just about eating.

Saying "If you would eat a dead cow, why wouldn't you eat a dead human?" is both preposterous and feral.The same way you wouldn't feel the need to pay a circus lion, the same way you wouldn't want to start a sexual relationship with your pet dog (hopefully), you can easily see the difference between eating people, and eating animals. Honestly it is so absurd a notion, it doesn't even merit any discussion.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I have been a vegetarian for about 20 years. The main reason I gave up meat was for health issues,factory farming, antibiotic and hormone use. Then as time went on I just started really thinking about the needless pain and suffering I was causing another living creature for no other reason than it tasted good.I thought about the fear going through another beings brain about to slaughtered .I thought as a species we should be more evolved, better than that. Why would any sentient species inflict suffering on their fellow inhabitants of this planet for no reason other than taste or habit? What if beings from other worlds treated us like we treat our fellow beings,like food? Could we cry foul? Could we say it was murder or unethical? And if so on what grounds? I am no follower of Ghandi but something he said I have always remembered "The greatness of a moral nation and its progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.'' Maybe someday when mankind finds the spilling of blood of any living creature morally repugnant he will finally stop murdering his fellow man and end all the wars that have ruined and plagued our world since the beginning.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

I'd like to remind the VEGANS that not eating meat makes your brain shrink, proven scientific fact. So in reference to your question I eat meat to support the high protein content of my body and when something else can sufficiently do that... which soy and other vegetables can't since the composition isn't the same, maybe just maybe I'll get on board.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

It's not about Ethics... It's about evolution and survival. We wouldn't be the people we are today without the vitamins we gained from eating meat.

It is about ethics in this case...

From the OP

Whether it is right to eat animals in the first place, at least when human survival is not at stake.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It is now scientific fact that all plants FEEL and communicate so the argument that vegans’ are somehow more human is mute. Yet another example of one group trying to impose their beliefs on others. I would add that there is a lot of hypocrisy in that these are the same folks that will step over a homeless person on the street in order to protest and ridicule a person wearing a fur coat.
The “I am not taking life” argument does not stand. You kill bugs just driving down the road. LOL
I could go on but you get the gest.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

I'd like to remind the VEGANS that not eating meat makes your brain shrink, proven scientific fact. So in reference to your question I eat meat to support the high protein content of my body and when something else can sufficiently do that... which soy and other vegetables can't since the composition isn't the same, maybe just maybe I'll get on board.

calorielab.com...

It is not meat persay that is the issue, rather it is a lack of B-12.

A number of reliable vegan food sources for vitamin B12 are known. One brand of nutritional yeast, Red Star T-6635+, has been tested and shown to contain active vitamin B12. This brand of yeast is often labeled as Vegetarian Support Formula with or without T-6635+ in parentheses following this new name. It is a reliable source of vitamin B12. Nutritional yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is a food yeast, grown on a molasses solution, which comes as yellow flakes or powder. It has a cheesy taste. Nutritional yeast is different from brewer’s yeast or torula yeast. those sensitive to other yeasts can often use it.

Vegans can get B-12 from nutritional yeast.

The RDA for adults for vitamin B12 is 2.4 micrograms daily (1). About 2 rounded teaspoons of large flake Vegetarian Support Formula (Red Star T-6635+) nutritional yeast provides the recommended amount of vitamin B12 for adults (2).

And they can get enough rather easily it would seem.
www.vrg.org...

Furthermore, according to other studies there are other far more common conditions that will cause brain shrinkage-Drinking and being overweight.

Here's what some vegans had to say about the study:
www.vegfamily.com...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

It is not meat persay that is the issue, rather it is a lack of B-12.

Yes, and we naturally get it from meat, so meat is the issue.

Vegans can get B-12 from nutritional yeast.

I don't get this. Doesn't the fact that vegans have to resort to all sorts of fancy supplements in order to not completely fall apart, tell you something?

I mean why be "unnatural" and "unethical" and eat a nice steak, if you can go natural and ethical with Red Star T-6635+,, wich is made in some factory, like nature intended.

The meat industry is unethical, I'll say that much, but eating meat isn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join