It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Carnivores Tell Us Why It’s Ethical to Eat Meat: A Contest, A Summary, A Winner

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Although I am a meat eater, I can see the ethical argument that vegetarians/vegans make against eating meat. Plants may technically be living organisms, but they do not have self-awareness like animals such as cows, chickens and lambs. That is the key difference when equating the two. Plants don't feel pain or suffer because they don't have a brain or sensory system telling them to notice or recognise these things. Therefore to compare them as "living" in the same sense as animals with a brain is a dishonest argument.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Because I would go insane110% feral and start eating wild animals, cats and maybe even the neighbors dog.....

I am actually being serious. The longest I went without eating meat was close to 3-4 weeks. By the end I was becoming increasingly feral and the thought of chasing down a squirrel almost became more then I could resist(ppl who quit smoking and failed know what I mean). Not fun as I value my sentient mind.

On a more interesting note, poultry and fish always tastes good to me even after I stop eating it for awhile. Beef kind of taste bleh; and pork, if I tried eating pork it would make me sick to my stomach. The last time I had pork(accidentally ate a corn dog that had pork in it) I threw up from it.

I am really thinking about cutting mammals out of my diet entirely because it causes me to feel ethically queasy, but I cannot quit eating meat. That is why I am looking forward to seeing how this growing meat thing works out as I don't like killing animals to survive, but it can't be avoided.

edit on 6-5-2012 by korathin because: Deleted Quote from OP

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
First of all I like eating meat, full stop. I do try wherever possible though to only have responsibly sourced meat, one reason being that it tastes so much nicer than "normal" meat
I'll happily try any meat at least once, insects included, some of which have been nicer than others...

A few years ago I was in a fish restaurant in Barbados and on the menu was dolphin. Naturally I had to have some so imagine my dismay when I found out that the dolphin was in fact a type of fish common to the area and not a relative of Flipper. Nearly ruined my holiday...
edit on 6/5/12 by Pardon? because: Syntax

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I stay away from red meat and pork. Everything else I can get enough protein from. The real reason I stopped eating beef and pork was in respect of people in other cultures. Indians worship cows, and I have a lot of indian friends, so out of respect for them and their religion, I can make that concession. Same for pigs and muslims. After that its also fallen in with respecting the animals that put themselves forth to feed us. I sometimes watch a show called dual survivor about a guy and his wife that survive in the wilderness like LS or Bear Grylls. Everytime the guy catches something, kills and eats it, he says a prayer to God and the animal, thanking it for its sacrifice to feed them. I think thats legit. Hence why we say a prayer at dinner, for example.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by strangedays

It's a good job you don't have any buddhist friends, you would not be able to eat anything living !

You have to be flexible enough to react to other cultures around you, but that should also reflect your own culture as well, avoid these foods if you dislike them, but not because someone else may not like you to eat them. Otherwise you will start applying this to opinions as well and will only like the ideas that others think you should have.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

He who eats the flesh of others shall in due course [reincarnation] be eaten by others.

Well my point in response to the eating of animal flesh is this. Why not just go the whole hog by eating of human flesh too ? As obviously unethical the eating of animal flesh might be nevertheless the really unethical thing is cannibalism. Surely it is cannibalism that needs to be prevented. Especially in this over populated time in which we are now living, with certain environmentalists calling for depopulation at any cost.

It is a mistake to believe that only animals experience distress. Scientist have researched and have discovered that plants also feel distress. This they measured using electronic meters. The electronic signals were received by other plants around them who then responded sending similar messages to all the plants around them too. So that all the plants braced themselves for the approach of the scissors that were about to cut into their flesh. Plants do have a nervous system. Also plants do have a brain situated in their roots. Certain humans are sensative to these signals, whilst others lack such sensativity. Persons who lack such sensativity are bordering on possible diagnosis as "Psychopath" ? Whilst anyone being in possession of such a sensativity is usually diagnosed as being "Schizophrenia".

Vegetarianism is all very wonderful, but can lead to health problems due to lack of serotonin in their diet. Serotonin is usually derived from eating meat. Serotonin is essential for nerve and brain function. Without it we develop paralysis. I experienced this problem personally. My legs would not move. I had to go into hospital. For vegetarians the solution is to ingest higher than usual amounts of B vitamins. B vitamins get converted into serotonin in the body digestion. Taking vitamin suppliments is the best way of doing this. Strong natural sources of B vitamin include toadstalls, fungii and mushrooms, and moulds in general too. The strongest B vitamin known is called "'___'". It is also called by other names such as "Ergotamine" or "'___'" or "Mescaline".

The law that I live by and which is holding us all bonded is called PRAECEPTAE CAELENIUM (tm). I did not read it in a book. You will not find it in any book. It was revealed to me by audio clairvoyance during the celebrations of the New Millennium in 2000. Summed up it basically means no sex no drugs and no violence. (1) From eternity to eternity, infinity to infinity, there be the one absolute. The One True God. Her names are many but she be the one true God there be no other God. The one judge there be no other judge. (2) La Deus Nostra, Notre Dame, Our Lady, The Holy Spirit, the cause the maker Cosmica. (3) Angelic powers of truth and beauty and righteousness be sure to be loving Her Holiness Above with all your mind and with all your heart and with all your strength. (4) So as to be pleasing to Her Holiness Above therefore do not be serving the masculine. (5) Do not be and do not allow masculinity into positions of government. (6) Honour and respect the virgin pureness of the christae. (7) Honour and respect the Immaculate Conception [parthenogenesis] reproductive process of the christae. (8) Do not fornicate or adulterate or sodomize. (9) Do not bully or torture or murder. (10) Do not lie. (11) Do not steal. (12) Do not be covetous. (13) Do not be jealous. Copyright NGL(c)2000.

He who trusts in violence to be his security cannot speak that he trusts in God to be his security.

VAMPIRES

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 6/5/2012 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

Honestly I wouldn't mind eating Dolphins if we artificially inflated their numbers the way we do with cows, chickens, etc.

There are many reasons that people abstain from eating meat but the weakest, I feel, is the claim that eating meat is somehow immoral. An argument could easily be made that the meat industry does horrible things to the animals we end up eating but some claim that eating ANY meat, even if the animal is killed almost painlessly after it lived a comfortable life, is immoral. I just don't see how the whole "all life is sacred" idea can be defended seriously.

We evolved naturally to be omnivores and take our nutrition from all sorts of sources, so in my opinion the burden of proof isn't on the meat eaters.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qwenn
reply to post by strangedays

It's a good job you don't have any buddhist friends, you would not be able to eat anything living !

You have to be flexible enough to react to other cultures around you, but that should also reflect your own culture as well, avoid these foods if you dislike them, but not because someone else may not like you to eat them. Otherwise you will start applying this to opinions as well and will only like the ideas that others think you should have.

You are ABSOLUTELY right. GREAT point and a star for that. Im still going to practice this bc it feels right, but your post helps me to remember to maintain my individuality. Im thankful for the diversity of perspectives. Keeps me from getting closed off.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
To twist the main question only slightly -
Is it ethical to be an Eskimo or Inuit?
Their diet is almost entirely meat, it is all their environment supplies them and they have adapted themselves to live within the limits provided by nature.
If vegetarianism is the only ethical way to live we have condemned an entire race of people for simply surviving.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
To twist the main question only slightly -
Is it ethical to be an Eskimo or Inuit?
Their diet is almost entirely meat, it is all their environment supplies them and they have adapted themselves to live within the limits provided by nature.
If vegetarianism is the only ethical way to live we have condemned an entire race of people for simply surviving.

Yea man thats what they got, and they need to survive. Its totally ethical IMO. Thats why I kind of have some sympathy for the good cons that need to feed too. They are working with what they have. Its when things get nefarious it upsets the natural order, then it comes time for God to do a wipe.

EDIT: I see your location too. I just spent the mid week on part of the Appalacian trail and hiking the Manassas/bullrun/roundtop battlefields. Its beautiful out there.

edit on 6-5-2012 by strangedays because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Bacon has no excuses.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Its ethical because everything living, dies, and then feeds the earth. Theres no such thing as meat. Its substance. What makes eating meat unethical? Because it was living? Plants live. Because it was breathing? Plants breath. Because it had blood pumping through its veins? Plants have nutrients pumping through things like veins. So what is different? Because gou believe something of meat must of had a conscience? Plants do as well. So is it ethical to eat meat? As ethical as it is to eat plants. No more, no less.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I eat meat. I am over 6'4 and 250lbs. I can lift a rear end of car off ground. I can run for hours.. Girls love me. But my vegan friends are under 6ft tall. around 140lbs and can barley do 3 pushups.

I guess if you are metro sexual, feminine or just scrawny and dont care about health and appearance then maybe eating rabbit food is for you. But i do get my meat from a near by farm and not some massive slaughter house. The meat I eat is not tortured, slaughtered at times I get to know my food months before I eat it. Weird i know.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
In order to survive, one must consume life. That is the simple truth. I have a problem with vegetarians who would impose their beliefs on others as I feel they don't have any idea of what they are talking about. Life exists all around us and who's to say there's more life in a cow than a tomato? Both are made up of microbial organisms, DNA, energy etc. While one is seeded in the ground the other is fertilized in the womb, both of them must consume life in order to grow and so must we too.

My native grandmother taught me how to "euthanize" vegetables as well as animals you are preparing for your food. I was also taught to say a prayer of thanksgiving before any meal for the sacrifice made by what it is I am eating, not a prayer to God necessarily but a prayer to all living things for the sacrifice made by the food. Remember, "sacred" is a derivative of "sacrifice".

edit on 6-5-2012 by morningeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by morningeagle
In order to survive, one must consume life. That is the simple truth. I have a problem with vegetarians who would impose their beliefs on others as I feel they don't have any idea of what they are talking about. Life exists all around us and who's to say there's more life in a cow than a tomato? Both are made up of microbial organisms, DNA, energy etc. While one is seeded in the ground the other is fertilized in the womb, both of them must consume life in order to grow and so must we too.

My native grandmother taught me how to "euthanize" vegetables as well as animals you are preparing for your food. I was also taught to say a prayer of thanksgiving before any meal for the sacrifice made by what it is I am eating, not a prayer to God necessarily but a prayer to all living things for the sacrifice made by the food. Remember, "sacred" is a derivative of "sacrifice".

edit on 6-5-2012 by morningeagle because: (no reason given)

Mitocondrial DNA. The energy is gained from the mitochondria. Also, plants regenerate, animals/mammals cant have just a piece of them taken off and then survive by growing it back. Since we come from monkeys, what do they eat? Plants, insects, and very occasionally reptiles when they need meat, but naturally they only eat a small amount.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
If our canines were an inch long and retained their tearing edge I would agree it's natural to eat meat, how ever for the most part our teeth are designed to eat vegetation. Our molars consist of a flat grinding surface, not two surfaces that close together like the scissors most meat eaters have. Look up canine molar, polar bear molar, or lion molar. You will find absolutely no similarities. Even if you look up a carnivorous canine it's nothing like ours. For the most part human canines are not designed for meat eating. At the average human size they are going to have little to no effect in puncturing, restraining or killing anything for that matter. Our closest living relatives, if you believe in evolution are mostly herbivores as well. We are scavengers, meant to eat what we can find not what we pack in cages and slaughter. As far as it sits I have not seen any proof for either omnivorous, or vegetarian diets being superior to one another, they both have their downfalls, and believe it or not you can get just as much if not more protein from being a veggie. It is quite simply a matter of ethics. Cultures around the world survive just fine omnivorous, and herbivorous. How ever, those who eat high meat based diets are quite unhealthy, our western society is a great example of this, obese, sick people. It's entirely ethics and unfortunately no wild natural humans exist It's a simple matter of it's easier to let an animal work for its own food then kill it and eat it vs finding all the naturally occurring plants to sustain ourselves. Farming edible vegetation came later, and it still remained easier to hunt or raise an animal for food than it was to produce enough wheat or other vegetables to sustain ourselves, and families. Think about it, I can raise sheep and take them to pasture where they will eat damn near anything that grows, or grow massive fields of wheat, that you have to water, pull weeds out of, keep graising animals out of as well as pests, then wait for a nice long dry patch when the wheat is ready to be processed that an early frost, or bad weather can destroy and leave you with out food. On the scale we raise animals today, growing the veggies is easier, how ever there was a time it was easier to go find a deer or other animal to kill, then try to grow something with out the aid of modern technology.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

chickens and turkeys are rather low on the pecking order compared to dolphins.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
75% of vegetarians return to eating meat after 2 years of not eating meat.

What does that tell you about going vegan?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by chi_z
reply to post by QQXXw

chickens and turkeys are rather low on the pecking order compared to dolphins.

A redneck once told me (and it was funny bc it was a redneck and they eat a ton of meat) "If it has eyelids, I dont eat it" and also "If you wouldnt kill/dress it, you shouldnt eat it". Fish I can do this with. Chickens, although a little less easy to do, I could also do this for as well.

I come from Europe. Breads and grains are what my ancestors in recent history have been raised on. So thats why I stick with grains. I also have another saying I picked up somewhere that I like: "I eat what I eat, eats"

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join