It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Carnivores Tell Us Why It’s Ethical to Eat Meat: A Contest, A Summary, A Winner

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

If you love a good burger I would suggest elk hamburger. It is freaking awesome!! Taste better than beef with a fraction of the fat. You can now buy elk and other game through FDA approved meat markets and do not have to be a hunter to be able to enjoy this great table fare. Here is a place you can order some from. It's a little pricey given the processing but it's worth the cost. Give them a try.

jhbuffalomeat.com...

edit on 5-5-2012 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Canibalism happens rarely and mostly when having to , to survive.....keep in mind that the practice of this regularly is risky due to disease......

That is not entirely accurate.

Kuru is an incurable prion disease that causes neurological deterioration. It spread through the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea, who ate the brains of their deceased relatives, especially affecting the women and children. The Kuru epidemic, which is recorded to have begun in the 1920s, is believed to have been started by the consumption of a single individual with Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease, which then spread through the population. Oral history records that cannibalism began within the Fore in the late 19th century. Cannibalistic practices were largely eliminated as Australian law enforcement and Christian missionaries spread through the island in the mid 20th century, though the long incubation period of the disease meant cases occurred into the 1990s. A team led by Michael Alpers, a lifelong investigator of the Kuru disease, found genes that protect against similar prion diseases were widespread around the world, indicating that such endocannibalism was once common around the world.

Wiki

Diseases from cannibalism are very rare and most of the world posses genes that protect against those diseases.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I absolutely agree........my post was in response to the person above me

But like in this case, these people didnt have any other choice...........They were stuck on the summit of a snow covered mountain.......with no food, and the water they got from melting snow......

So in their case , with people dying, the only logical step for them to gather enough energy to hike out and find help, was to eat the dead......

Had they not, they would have all been dead........

I suppose hunger can make people do the hardest of things......correction.......will to survive, can make people do unspeakable things......

However I do not condemn them...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

wow Elk burger, I don't think we can get that in Australia!?

We have Deer(Venison), Kangaroo, Croc, Emu - they are all game meats obviously, but I have never seen Elk?

If I ever see it, I will give it a try

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This whole debate is flawed in the sense that eating is neither moral nor inmoral. If it were then you could also argue going to the bathroom to be a moral issue. It's not, eating is a biological need. And everyone is allowed to eat whatever they see fit. Somewhere in China right now someone is eating eggs boiled with young boy's urine. You can think it's nasty but that's just what they eat.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

Do they boil the eggs in the wee wee? or is it hard boiled eggs mixed with wee wee? One I may try but the other I think I will pass

Heck I will try most things as long as someone who is native eats it first, one of my faves was pickled shark eyeballs (like a salty cherry tomatoe with jelly)
edit on 5-5-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Man is an omnivore. Man is neither a vegetarian nor a carnivore. We need to realize our place in this world. We were given the task and understanding to do our job by a power that did not originate from this world. We were given a responsibility which we neglected because of desires.

If we treat our food with respect and give it a good life before we harvest it, we are doing our job. A rancher who allows his cows to graze and live a natural life protecting his animals is doing what is supposed to be done. Feeding the cows a little oats or other grains occasionally as a treat is good, but fattening them up with corn that they are not designed to eat much of is bad.

We do not always have to eat the tenderest of meats. An old cow that has worked hard making milk can be ground into excellent hamburger. It contains many of the nutrients that are missing in a young animal. Same with chickens, we are supposed to eat the chicken after it's laying days are done. Discarding this life is not right. What better way to show thanks to this friend than to make chicken soup with great healing properties. Man is not edible so don't eat your human friends
We shouldn't eat meat from carnivours or omnivours unless prepared a certain way.

Man is not a carnivore either and must eat some grains and veggies to keep parasites from taking over his body. Only certain people have evolved to eat only meats and a special kind of husbandry was done. We are just a species that has evolved a certain way. Women can eat more grains and veggies than men. They are different than men, they are not really the same species. I think my wife may have come from Venus or something. I'm sure she thinks I am a heathen because of my love of the woods.

Maybe we are all aliens to this world. We wear shoes to protect us from being part of nature, shielding the energy from flowing through us. Our aura disappears when barefoot on sacred ground replaced by the aura of the world.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

I eat meat because I like it. Thats the only reason I need

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I sure would like to give roo a shot. Bet it taste pretty good.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Closed for review.

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

Reopened.

edit on Sat May 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
because i say so.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'd eat you all if I were hungry enough.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
A planet with no carnivores = to many plant eaters = no plants = no oxygen = dead planet.

Have a nice day.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Because pizza without it is boring.

And bacon for second line.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
We've got the digestion and jaw to be omnivores, most primates are omnivores, and eating other animals is that way's it's done in the jungle.

There's such a thing as morally neutral, and I contend that eating animals is morally neutral.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Because it is in your DNA to do so
No one has ever got up and gone out to hunt down and kill a carrot
You need meat for the protein it provides

Cran

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
First I must start on the assumption that saving human life is ethical.

If so, then starvation is something that I certainly must aim to stamp out. Which is more ethical in a situation where there is starvation, to allow people to die or to kill other animals in order to save human lives?

From a moral perspective (morality...closely tied to ethics) because man is created in God's image. The salvation of mankind is one of God's most lofty goals. Any man that has died for man's salvation surely receives a comfy seat in the afterlife. Well...Likewise I believe every time we kill an animal for food it is to maintain our bodies and keep us alive. Those animals are giving their lives to save mankind. Like the men who have received comfy seats, I believe these martyred animals to have received quite comfortable seats in the afterlife indeed.

In summation, it is almost a sin not to kill an animal for human consumption because that animal's life in heaven will be so, so good.

Ethics aside, meat sure tastes good.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
are

eggs

dairy

poultry

fish

seafood

plankton

MEAT?

if vegetarians were starving for weeks because of a natural disaster,

and all that was left available to eat was canned pork and beans,

(or toilet paper, cardboard)

would they pass up?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Meat has nutrients and substances in which humans need to thrive and grow strong in every aspect. A human body needs a balance, and it can't be achieved by just easting vegetables, and other non meat products. Humans need to eat meat as well. In this sense, it is ethical.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Take humans out of the equation. Do animals eat meat? Yes or no. So are you going to chastize tigers until they go vegan on you? or just eliminate them for being unethical?

Having said the obvious, the real issue is sustainability. The fact is that raising a bunch of cows, pigs, sheep, etc. for food is a costly endeavor that takes a big toll on the environment. I'm FAR from a greenie. Indeed, I detest their BS. But the fact is, it's a whole lot easier to feed 10 billion on a vegetarian diet than one based on meat. As an ETHICAL issue, give me a break. As a PRACTICAL matter, it may make sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join