It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Carnivores Tell Us Why It’s Ethical to Eat Meat: A Contest, A Summary, A Winner

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
A healthy human requires meat, or the stuff thats in meat - due to our evolution and adaption to our environment are are literally designed to run on meat and veg.

what happens if you put diesel in a petrol car?

It breaks.

Same situation.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
That is simply not true. I've been veg for 25 years and I can assure you my body is operating just fine. I'm not skinny or pale.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by QQXXw

If a dolphin was caught in the nets and died, I think it is a waste not to use its meat for something (cat food maybe)
I knew a fishmonger in Preston who bought a Dolphin at smithfield market (it turned up with a load of tuna) and he cut it up into steaks and put its head on a spike to advertise it, within 30 mins he had 50 people doing a sit down protest in his shop...he had to shut down 2 weeks later
Me? I would eat Dolphin if it was dead and put in front of me, Human? nah that is going to far, but don't they say that we developed our big brains due to the fact we ate eachother thus getting plenty of protein to help our growing brain.

This reminds me of that movie "Ravenous" about the civil war guys that have to eat human to survive, but once the winter lets up they keep doing it because they get crazed into thinking they absorbe the other persons soul. It was a great sleeper. I thought it was going to be a civil war movie heh. They made no mention of the cannibal part.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

It's an evolutionary step, that helped us develop higher-order brain functions.

If it's wrong why do we see other animals eating animals, and not just us.

I give up meat every lent because I feel that it's important to not get accustomed to anyone thing for to long. I have killed animals for food, and solely for that purpose. I think the Native Americans had it right where you treat the animal with respect and use everything you get from it's body.
edit on 5-5-2012 by wishful1gnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Why is it ethical to eat veggies? since they can rot and go bad (die) without proper nutrients and water, much like us and the animals, then they too are technically alive. is it because they don't have eyes to look back at you?

the circle of life:

plants get eaten by herbivores-herbivores get eaten by carnivores-all three get eaten by the omnivores (us)- and the plants eat all three of the others when they die. put into very simple terms.

mess with the circle of life, your messing with nature.. you might make a super tornado come down on your head as punishment
edit on 6-5-2012 by LoonyConservative because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I'm vegetarian half of my life now. Meat's pretty gross, regardless of ethics. I joke that, as a vegetarian I'd eat pretty much anything....edible, say, non-toxic. Will you meat dudes eat monkey brains and goose livers?

I don't really care if you like doing it or not, or will just do it for spite, it is really, really funny but kind of a sad-funny, like when a clown dies.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Very simple answer really, in my opinion. In nature, animals of a wide spectrum, mammals and even microorganisms feed off of meat. They feed off of meat from other animals. Think, if all people on earth were vegetarians, or if there were no people on earth; would animals no longer be eaten for their meat? No, animals would continue being eaten by each other even without any human interference. Eating meat from creatures of the earth is simply a necessity, for other creatures of the earth to survive. It is just natural. Always has been since the beginning of life here on earth. It's nature - the circle of life so to speak. there's your answer

Being ethical or not is not even a revelent issue here.
edit on 6-5-2012 by 0subsZero13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Not for nothing, but we do grow teeth that has its sole purpose for tearing meat. i imagine if we were herbivores we would only have teeth for grinding plants right?

Like being gay, its a life choice...no ethics about it. You either eat it, or you don't.

The fact that we have teeth for eating meat just lends credence to the idea that we were supposed to eat it to begin with.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
It is Ethical to eat meat because we are at the top of the food chain. We are the dominate species and vouch for all species on Earth. If another species on Earth fears mortality or object to their current life , let them protest

...................................................................................................................................................... .................

that is what I thought.

Their meat is good, and they do not have the ability to 'fear' their mortality other than the immediate and pain is not perceived in the way humans are able to perceive pain through a factor of "Why did I feel pain, how do I not feel pain, what could I do better next time, how can I get around this pain , this could get infected. (as far as we know, it is sort of impossible to know this, but the best guess is .. they cannot).

Notice it is a proven fact in Humans, the military, specifically, that pain can be numbed through removing the emotional thought from the pain. Run me, run me, until I drop now. You can remove your psychological state and 'just do it' - if you can manage that your body simply fails and the pain is nearly non-existent. So animals have it pretty good when it comes to paining. It actually gets habitual.

This actually correlates to orders. When you are given orders that will test your mortality 'just do it and don't ask questions'. Last thing you need is mean questioning what they are getting their selves into. So you want them to sort of be numbed because once that fear of death hits, they become unpredictable unless you train them correctly (Discipline).
edit on 6-5-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I was out for a ride in the country last night, where I stopped off to talk with a couple of cows up near the fence beside the road. They were busy eating, but they listened intently as I told them that they tasted delicious and "thank you" for providing such wonderful food.

One stopped chewing for a moment, looked me right in my eyes and we immediately developed this sort of telepathic connection. He told me that I was welcome, although my presence was making him uncomfortable. So we said our goodbyes and I drove away.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bnz70
That is simply not true. I've been veg for 25 years and I can assure you my body is operating just fine. I'm not skinny or pale.

You may be a Vegetarian...you may be healthy....and to be so...you must be following a strict diet that makes sure you are recieving proper amounts of Aminoacids....but if you eat just Vegetables...and no cheese or dairy or Fish or poultry....you can never get all you need nutrient wise.

Humans have evolved to be omniverous and to develop strong bones as well as a child developing...they need fat.
I am very healthy and extremely fit. I eat lean meats and have my own organic vegetable garden. I would never be able to have obtained my musculature without eating certain protiens even though there are suppliments they are derived from living animals.

I usually eat a steak of beef or seafood or pork or chicken along with fresh vegetables and stay away from pasta and white bread and only eat potatoes on occasion. I know many vegtarians and a few true ones. The true ones are not strong and have eyes that tend to be cloudy. I also eat alot of venison as this is a very lean meat. I am unusually strong and have great endurance as well as being a SCUBA diver. Eating things like Salmon for Omega fatty Acids is a must and I know that the couple of true vegetarians I know...could never keep up with me. It doesn't bother me that they have chosen this lifestyle...it is when they have their young children also follow this as a child NEEDS FAT AND PROTIENS to develop properly. People are not geneticly disposed to being vegetarians...and many of the supplements they may take are derived from animals. If you just don't eat red meat...that is Ok...but if you don't eat any animal flesh or at least cheese or milk...you will have health issues. One of these health issues is the Heart as many young Vegetarians have amaged their hearts by not getting what the body needs to repair and maintain this muscle. Split Infinity

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
My mother already ate meat while I was still in the womb so I was born that way, it's all hardwired. Sure I believe in mind over matter, meat substitutes and I also believe humans were not meant to eat meat, maybe it was a bad decision on Nature's part to invent carnivores. But it made everything that way anyway and after centuries of eating meat, the body must have adapted and it has become a need to eat meat.

Now the advantage of eating meat is it saves time, some other animal eats the plants, vegetables, fruits and you eat it so you get the benefits of their hard labor. After all it takes more time to get the same nutrition or energy from plants than from meat. Since humanity is still warring with eachother on multiple levels, they don't have time to spend on changing their food habits. We need to have our priorities straight and the first would be to establish eternal peace on earth, without us those species wouldn't have a chance in the first place to amount to anything. At least now they have a chance to colonize other worlds when we go and take them with us (for food no doubt).

Once we're treating eachother better, we can move on and start treating other species better, including not eating them or giving them better care than they would receive in the wild. But until then we need their meat for fast energy to get by, so thanks to all the animals who gave their lives for the cause. We know we haven't established peace on earth yet but without your meat it would probably take us even more centuries to sort out all these problems.
edit on 6/5/2012 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think it is pretty un-ethical for any human to be a carnivore.

Anyone who decides to eat just meat or just plants is un-balanced, and being unfair to the class of life forms they choose to eat.

Omnivores are the most ethical in my opinion, and are more in tune with the natural cycle.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Biologically, we are designed to eat meat. Our front teeth are for ripping and tearing. However, it is easy to get the proteins usually derived from meats from other sources so it's also a viable option to be vegetarian if it suits you. it really depends on opinion.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

It would be all good and fine if Humans could just eat plants and recieve all the nutrients required...but even with Non-Animal sourced suppliments...it just is not sufficient and especially in the case of a growing baby or child.

A Child needs certain Animal Fats and Protiens PERIOD! A child cannot properly develop without this and even Mothers Milk is Human Animal fats and protiens as well as some carbs. If the Mother is a TRUE Vegetarian...Her Milk will NOT be sufficient for proper development.

These are the FACTS. If a persons wants to be a Strict Vegan that is their right but they should not harm their child over their beliefs. They must come to terms with the FACTS.
Split Infinity

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
There is a misconception that humans being omnivores means we need to eat everything. That would obviously be an evolutionary disadvantage! In fact, it means humans can be picky.

With a proper diet, humans can easily live a healthy life without meat, and even the opposite is true, Inuits can live a healthy life while eating meat only. So no, nutrition is not a good argument against vegetarianism, assuming the diet is varied enough.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

I shall make my argument thusly

If it is wrong to enjoy good smoked ribs...then I don't want to be right!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I eat meat, many reasons, I like it, it bulks out my stomach so I'm not hungry all day, I have read that meat has vitamins and minerals that my brain needs that vegetables don't have, other beings on this planet eat meat, the cat family, the dog family, some birds, some fish, some sea mammals, even some insects.
Yes I know how humans gut is too long and meat festers away it before ejection, but I don't eat it by the pound.
There are theories that if we had not learned to cook and eat meat, we would still be living in caves, spending all day looking for nuts, tubers, berries, and grass seeds, some life.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I would have to say that yes...Humans can exist on either diet but a combination of the two is the most healthy and Inuit people have 1.5 Times as many people with Heart Disease...5 Times the norm of Type 2 Diabetes...T.B. at a rate 10 times as high and specific nutrient deficient issues related to a lack of Citrus and Beta Carotene.

People who eat exclusively plant life have issues with under developed musculature, Heart issues, Nervous System incongruencies, Slower Mental responses, Slow Reflex actions, lack of endurance and Blood Sugar issues.
Split Infinity

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
if some other animal was hungry and wanted to eat me, it would if it could... natural law says I can eat anything.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join