It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All Carnivores Tell Us Why It’s Ethical to Eat Meat: A Contest, A Summary, A Winner

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Do you have proof that animals have feelings?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by RhinestoneCowboy

Human meat... are you serious???

I have no words

I guess its same as eating chicken, cow or pig? Living thing equal to other lifeforms. The difference is that it has lived a good life and died in peace. Same cannot be said about animals.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy
I think that if human meat would be sold in the local markets, I would buy it instead of animal meat because I think it would be more ethical to eat human meat whose owners would have died natural death than those poor animals who will be raised and killed in horrible living conditions just for food. Of course if there was such thing as naturally died animal food, then that would be nice too.

I think food problem would be solved too if we would get rid of that sinful status of cannibalism and be rational about it.

Dont think im some loonie toonie cannibal fanatic. Im all against violence and all.

It would be interesting to hear if anybody else has thought about this?

Are you a DOLCETT fan? In his works of fiction the female population has exploded and they decided to eat women when they would be drawn in a lottery. In his vision women daily are eaten. The highest quality women are usually roasted alive while lower quality women are cut up into various cuts of meat. Sick sick misoyginistic artist make me puke.

Now as for animals being Killed more humanely in the wild its simply not true. Whats less violent and painless? Being ripped to shreds by a Lion or a bear or shark? Or being stunned and then quickly having your head lopped off? I used to work in a chicken processing plant and in mu opinion they net a more humane end than if a wild animal would have got them.
Mayby we should go all SOYLENT GREEN eh? If you want to be a cannibal go live with them in the jungle,Oh but be careful they tend to Eat visitors who are not armed to the teeth.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RhinestoneCowboy

When have you seen a chicken eat another chicken!?! A pig eat another another pig!?! The same goes for 99% of all other lifeforms and species on the planet.....

I hope I'm not lost or secluded with you sometime in the future I tell you that now! Eeeck!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

How do you know that 100% - Have you done studies?

We know that there is nothing resembling brain in plants. Chemical signals and action potentials are not an evidence of any feelings, despite sensationalist articles in media.

Plants and trees are living organisms... actually they have been here alooooot longer than humans...

Does not mean they are sentient or feel anything.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

A lack of brain does not mean a lack of nervous system... there is a mechanism in plants to recognize missing limbs and try to regrow them... pain is not limited to the brain...

It has to do with nerves...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RandomEsotericScreenname

Feelings and pain are different though... and animals do have feelings on a smaller scale than humans.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I have already posted how I felt, and now I'm going to take this off topic slightly...

When we humans decide what is ethical to eat, we do so on a totally contrived scale
based on several parameters.

Utility: For example, horses and dogs. These two species have a utilitarian purpose
as companions, work savers, and for human transportation (in recent history).
Because of their utility, these animals (for most humans) are not considered food animals.

Intelligence: We prize the lives of intelligent species of animals moreso than animals
of lessor intelligence. Dolphin and tuna are good examples. Eat all the tuna you want
but leave the dolphin alone. We do this out of an illogical compassion, anthropomorphizing
the dolphin, and showing compassion for that species because we can more easily relate
to a dolphin than we can to a tunafish. The caveat, and an example of our hypocrisy, is the
plight of the pig, and the cow. Pigs, because their relative intelligence to food animals
is quite high. Cows because they can demonstrably be shown to have emotions--anyone
within ear shot of a mother cow or calf that have been separated from each other can attest
to the obvious emotional distress heard in their cries.

Cuteness: (I hate using the word cuteness, but it is honest.) We do not eat kittens or
puppies, and most eschew squirrel, and other rodents with expressive features, once
again anthropomorphizing human traits upon these animals because we can relate
and feel compassion for them more easily than less expressive species.

God's commandment and organized religion: This requires little description; Hindus and cows,
Jews and pigs, Christians and cloven-hooves....etc.

Here is what I think of the ethics of eating....

It is more ethical to kill and eat an intelligent, cute, or utilitarian animal than it is to kill and waste
any animal or edible plant, for covenience

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by StayAlert1

It is now scientific fact that all plants FEEL and communicate so the argument that vegans’ are somehow more human is mute.

Plants do not feel anything. Please link a peer-reviewed paper stating otherwise.

reply to post by donhuangenaro

PLANTS HAVE FEELINGS TOO

Thats nonsense for sure. Responding to stimuli and signaling is not the same as feelings, even bacteria can do that. There is no evidence that plants have any feelings.

Confirmed many times. Hooked up to a polygraph machine, plants will react to threats before they occur. The head polygraph operator of the state of california hooked up his plant to the machine just to see what happened. Nothing happened. He thought, Maybe if I burned it with a lighter it would react? Nothing happened. He reached in his pocket for the lighter, and as soon as he pulled it out of his pocket the polygraph machine went nuts. The plant was READING HIS MIND.

After many experiments, eventually he was able to induce the plant to trip a switch that would START HIS CAR from up to eighty miles away.

www.amazon.com...

They are certainly alive, and do not like being eaten. It is, however, the natural order of things.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I'm not saying that animals don't have feelings, just using the same logic as the poster I responded to.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

pain is not limited to the brain... It has to do with nerves...

Nope, pain has to do with brain. Nerves do mediate many unconscious reflexes and reactions, but unless the signal reaches the brain (and not just brain, but higher brain), there is no pain. This is why many biologists doubt that even lower animals are capable of feeling pain (or anything for that matter). And these are still a lot more complex than a plant when it comes to nervous systems. Makes sense, because sentience is not of much use for a sedentary plant anyway.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

ook then

2nd

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Those who keep stating it is your canine teeth that prove you are a carnivore: what about your incisors? You know, those front teeth that are like sharp chisels acting in a scissor like motion? Those are not made for leaves, they are better than a wolf or a lion's pointy front teeth for RIPPING OFF CHUNKS OF MUSCLE Just because a horse has big square front teeth, they are nothing like ours are. Their front teeth are for pulling up grass. Our molars have sharp ridges on them, for SHREDDING FLESH, horses and cows have flat millstone type molars. Look at your dog's molars if you don't believe me.

My big brain, which sets me apart from all the other animals, (and apparently most humans) is made of FAT AND PROTEIN. WIthout being carnivores, we could never have such a big brain. It would take so much vegetable matter to get the proper amount, you would have to eat non stop and # non stop all day (just like a cow!) just to have the energy to walk around, and still not enough fat and protein to power the big brain. Hm, I guess you would end up becoming a..............

Wait for it.....................

Sheeple.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
We're all basically animals, are we not? Ask a lion or a bear to stop eating meat. See how far that gets you.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

Originally posted by boymonkey74
If the animals did not want to be eaten they would evolve to taste nasty
and if we did stop eating meat how many cows etc would there be? not many apart from zoos

Good thread S&F.

Do you agree with eating dolphins? they sure taste good don't they, perhaps, if humans were as delicious and nutritious as dolphins, we would be eating each other and would have never evolved past primitive society

edit on 5-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

Apparently, human flesh tastes much like any other meat, so yes, using the above logic humans must also want to be eaten, having not evolved to taste nasty.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Why does anyone have to justify what they eat?
Have we become so aware of having to be being politically correct, that we've started giving reasons for everything we do? I eat meat because it tastes good. Period. End of reason.
If someone else doesn't want to, fine. I don't really want to know or care why.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Why do ethics even matter? Food is food. Cannibalism is wrong, unless its out of pure desperation and survival. I personally would rather die than eat another human, but who knows, S hast HTF yet.

Its the circle of life. For something to live, something else must die.

Why grow meat? So they can pump it full of chemicals, and kill us off even faster? No thanks. Nature has everything figured out perfectly.

The mass production of meat, and slaughter of cattle, pigs, and chickens by corporation is wrong, yes, but id rather go hunt, and raise my own animals to provide meat for my family and i, than buy meat at a supermarket.

We must be self sufficient, especially in these days, it is possible.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8fl0z
Why do ethics even matter? Food is food. Cannibalism is wrong, unless its out of pure desperation and survival. I personally would rather die than eat another human, but who knows, S hast HTF yet.

Its the circle of life. For something to live, something else must die.

Why grow meat? So they can pump it full of chemicals, and kill us off even faster? No thanks. Nature has everything figured out perfectly.

The mass production of meat, and slaughter of cattle, pigs, and chickens by corporation is wrong, yes, but id rather go hunt, and raise my own animals to provide meat for my family and i, than buy meat at a supermarket.

We must be self sufficient, especially in these days, it is possible.

Make your mind up. If ethics don't matter, how can cannibalism be wrong? Or do ethics only apply to your own species? Using that logic, it would be ethically acceptable for any invading alien species to eat us. Would you agree?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Sharks have been around for 400 million years eating meat not lettuce. Could you imagine being a wild animal having to go through long periods without food on a stomach full of vegetables?? Not gonna get you very far..
edit on 6-5-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

Originally posted by boymonkey74
If the animals did not want to be eaten they would evolve to taste nasty
and if we did stop eating meat how many cows etc would there be? not many apart from zoos

Good thread S&F.

Do you agree with eating dolphins? they sure taste good don't they, perhaps, if humans were as delicious and nutritious as dolphins, we would be eating each other and would have never evolved past primitive society

edit on 5-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

You never know. One day, we might be eating each other. Without the complexed proteins found in meat, our brains my not have evolved into higher thinking organs. We may have ended up like cows just moving around the planet eating grasses. Is it ethical? Why ask? We are not going to change until we evolve into energy beings, living off gravity, or what ever else beings like that consume. Until then, I'll take my steak medium well with a baked potatoe and salad (and a glass of red wine followed by a nice glass of scotch). Yummy!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join