It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed takeover of the roadways? US ban on cellphone use while driving sought.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Bakatono

I hate to be pessimistic about things, but I don't foresee any changes in how things work. I think things are going to get worse.

I would be inclined to agree, except, we have seen a significant uptick in local political activity this year. The Ron Paul campaign has been very successful at getting large groups of people together using grass roots methods. Theirs is a message of liberty. The other campaigns have also been moderately successful, with their message of more of the same.

I think there is something going on in this country where a great number of people are looking to take back control of their destiny. I just hope it isn't too late.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
You shouldn't be on your phone driving, ESPECIALLY when texting. I'm glad the government is stepping up and enforcing strict laws on these things.

I really don't want to be driving on the road while some douchebag is texting in the other lane.

Again, this is a state matter and I bet dime to dollar you state already has some sort of penalty for driving and texting.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I say this is good. The other day I was stopped at an intersection. The other lane got the turning arrow and like 10 cars went by... Every other car the person was talking on their cell phone I swear. I couldn't do anything but start busting up laughing. It's dangerous also, because your not thinking about driving and watching out for things yeah people can say they can multitask until they run someone over because there too busy thinking about what to say next.
edit on 28-4-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

Also if you text and drive your just a complete idiot period.
edit on 28-4-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bakatono

You shouldn't be on your phone driving, ESPECIALLY when texting. I'm glad the government is stepping up and enforcing strict laws on these things.

I really don't want to be driving on the road while some douchebag is texting in the other lane.

Again, this is a state matter and I bet dime to dollar you state already has some sort of penalty for driving and texting.

So what? Having Federal government step in and tell you not to put others in danger including children isn't a big deal.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bakatono

So what? Having Federal government step in and tell you not to put others in danger including children isn't a big deal.

It IS a big deal. It is dictatorial. The US system was designed to the feds do NOT have this type of control It sounds fine because it is "saving lives". That is how they always start. Pretty soon they will be making laws that you DON'T approve of, but too late, precedent will have been set.

Please try to explain why having the feds create such a law will make everyone stop driving and talking on their cell? Or driving and texting? If you are seeing people doing this now and you have laws in your state against it, how are federal laws going to prevent what local laws already failed to prevent?

The only thing it will do is give impetus to the federal government to hire a bunch more idiot, slack-jawed fools like the TSA "agents" and post them on street corners. More money, more gestapo, less freedom.

So, how exactly will the feds fix this? What special powers do they have?

And finally, do you really think congress is capable of passing a law that is worth a crap?
edit on 28-4-2012 by Bakatono because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I will ever understand Americans.. What is this fear of the Federal Government? Why? Are States that better?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ponder this: Cellphone companies know what tower you use and can tell when the phone is registered by another tower. They can also know when you are making a call or sending a text. This is common sense. The law would be simple and a very effective means of taxation. No need to waste money on more police. Just force the cell phone companies to collect the fines and charge it to the customer with added fees of course.

Welcome to the Amerikan Democracy land of the fee home of the slave.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

No, it is not dictatorial. Stop making something out of this when there's nothing there. Government is just enforcing common sense because many lack it.

Deal with it, sweetie.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I really don't understand this cell phone and driving issue.
Firstly, okay, texting can be a distraction, but so can playing with the radio, or the gps navigator or whatever.

Second, Talking on the cellphone, how is handsfree any different ? If you have an automatic transmission, you need only one hand anyway so whether you are holding a cellphone (or a bottle of water), it's all the same. I don't understand how the handsfree is any different ? If you concentrate on talking on the phone, it is equally distracting to talking to the person next to you, is it not ? Actually no, it is less distracting, because you might tend to look at the person sitting next to you, and take your eyes off the road, but that won't happen when you are talking on the phone ? right ?

So I really don't get this cell phone stuff, if somebody is so stupid they cannot talk and drive, they should not drive at all (because they can be easily distracted by anything else in the car), period.

edit on 28-4-2012 by ModerateSkeptic because: (no reason given)

No offense to anyone intended
edit on 28-4-2012 by ModerateSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
Sorry guyz but I'm going to disagree.

Any idiot caught texting while driving should be treated the same as a drunk driver.

If it's an emergency I can understand using your cell to talk but only in an emergency.

edit on 27-4-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

yeah i agree, in the UK you are banned from using your phone whilst driving and it makes perfect sense. Endless times i've seen people using their phone whilst driving and looking pretty dangerous on the road.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
A good idea. A very good idea.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
100% good with this my biggest fear is some dbag in an SUV running over me at a stoplight I chose to drive very little cars -- never owned anything with back seat. I accept the risk. I at least want my heirs to get recourse for the---- who runs over me while he is sharing his thoughts with the world.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I don't believe this thread, talking, texting, or dare I say it, hands free, are all the most stupid thing to do when driving. In fact, it's becoming the most dangerous not to do when driving. I know absolutely no one who has got it all together with mobile phones in vehicles, period.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This is a good thing folks.

Distracted drivers are dangerous, distracted bad drivers are even worse.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by imagineering

Originally posted by cavalryscout
Sorry guyz but I'm going to disagree.

Any idiot caught texting while driving should be treated the same as a drunk driver.

If it's an emergency I can understand using your cell to talk but only in an emergency.

edit on 27-4-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

I completely agree, I have been rear ended multiple times by people who where texting or talking on the phone. I cant see it being some kind of "powers that be" takeover. Its just plain dangerous and the statistics show this.

If you have a traffic problem in your state, you shouldn't sit and watch as "officials" from thousands of miles away come in and "fix" the issue. What you should do is start a petition, get as many people in your county as you can to sign it saying that you want to make a law banning texting and driving. Then you bring it into your local legislative meeting and wait for a chance at the stand to introduce your petition. Demand that your local legislators pass a law banning this activity, and vote them out if they don't. Send letters to your mayor and sherriff... etc.

The point is there are already institutions in place to deal with these kinds of problems. You have state and city level law makers and enforcing specifically for dealing with these issues. Use these tools to solve your problem. Rather than granting a foreign body (foreign to your state) unprecedented authority over you and your peers to deal with it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindFever
I'm not sure if I will ever understand Americans.. What is this fear of the Federal Government? Why? Are States that better?

The people have more control over local governments. In fact in many states the people can pass, and veto laws with a direct democratic vote. When you have local organizations dealing with local problems it is much easier to petition those bodies for a redress of grievances. This is for the simple reason that they are representing less people.

So when a law that is passed interrupts sheep migratory routes, the shepherds can petition to fix this problem. And because they represent a larger proportion of the population in their local area,than they do to the national population, they can actually influence the election process on the individuals that control this process.

These systems are put in place for two reasons. One because local agencies are actually more economical and more effective!!!!!! at solving these types of issues. And two because it hopefully prevents the governing power from growing beyond the ability of the people to control it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Jesus, somebody save us from the idiots on the road! They need to ban cell phones and driving like they did with drunk driving, cuz no one drives drunk anymore!

Give me a break. I play music on my phone through the radio while I drive. I expect I'll be getting stopped more should it pass. Ah well, more chances to laugh in a pigs face and tell em to go bother some real criminals.

Idiots will be idiots. Those with the gall to think they're gonna cheat death aren't gonna care about a damned law, federal, state, or county. Law provides consequence, not so much in the prevention department. Jeez, some people's kids...

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

No, it is not dictatorial. Stop making something out of this when there's nothing there. Government is just enforcing common sense because many lack it.

Deal with it, sweetie.

as a matter of fact it is in essence. the federal government is not granted the authority to make laws concerning this.

deal with it, sweetie

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Personally, since my state passed anti-texting-and-driving laws, I've not heard of one ticket issued until after an accident occurred. It's bologna to think this is a "good thing." Next thing you know, cops have another unconstitutional excuse for search-and-siezures of phones. What? 4th amendment? What's that? I'd bust my phone before I'd let a cop have it. Just to prove a point. Destroying evidence? Gtfo of here. If they want "evidence" they can contact my service provider with a warrant.

As if telling someone, "hey, you might get a ticket for using your cell phone while driving" is going to be any more effective than "hey, you might wreck and die by using your cell phone while driving."
edit on 28-4-2012 by jlm912 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If all these thoughtless idiots didn't abuse these tools, there wouldn't be a problem.
When I see a$$holes texting or yakking when they should be focusing (mind you, even with full attention, their driving sucks) I know they should have their license revoked altogether.
OK, what I REALLY think is much darker, -I'm trying to be "nice".

Wanna talk that bad? STF HOME.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join