It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed takeover of the roadways? US ban on cellphone use while driving sought.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgi

Well, I, for one, will not tolerate search-and-seizure of phones should it come to it. Driving is a necessity for me to balance time of getting to work and taking care of my children, which will ultimately equate to one in the same. Dependence on automobiles has been ingrained into society over the last century. While it's not completely required in every circumstance... well, privilege my @$$...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The privilege is not going to jail for driving.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by gorgi
reply to post by FortAnthem

Driving is a privilege, not a right. The government can makes laws regarding cellphone use or any other law that governs the road and highways. I fail to see how this is a problem. I know ATS has a problem with authority but if you don't like the law, then don't drive.

you mean like that federal drivers license you carry to drive? what's that? you don't have a federal drivers license? hmmm i wonder why that is....

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Like we said already; texting while driving is already illegal in many states with legislation moving through most other states to outlaw this practice. There is no need for the Feds to get involved.

Even if a law is passed, people will continue to break it anyway. How many people ignore the speed limit and even stop signs and red lights? This only gives police a way to enforce the law AFTER something has already happened.

The best way to stop texting while driving is to educate people of the dangers and make it socially unacceptable to text and drive.

The following shows a good use of reverse psychology to get the point across; students were told they had to pass a texting while driving segment in order to get their licence. On student said he would quit driving if this became law.

edit on 5/3/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Like we said already; texting while driving is already illegal in many states with legislation moving through most other states to outlaw this practice. There is no need for the Feds to get involved.

Even if a law is passed, people will continue to break it anyway. How many people ignore the speed limit and even stop signs and red lights? This only gives police a way to enforce the law AFTER something has already happened.

The best way to stop texting while driving is to educate people of the dangers and make it socially unacceptable to text and drive.

The following shows a good use of reverse psychology to get the point across; students were told they had to pass a texting while driving segment in order to get their licence. On student said he would quit driving if this became law.

edit on 5/3/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm old enough to remember when it was legal to drink and drive in the state of Texas and diving home ob Dallas freeways in stop and go traffic while drinking a 6 pack and seeing most others doing the same and toking up as well... I swear that it was safer on the roads back then than it is now with people driving while talking on cell phones... I am active on a car enthusiast website and seldom read of an accident where one of the two cars are using a cell phone and at times both are... My wife and I both pull over to use the phone unless we are in the car together when it is usually me behind the wheel and she answers or makes the call.. It would be great if the local municipalities or states would enact laws to prevent cell phone use in cars but it isn't likely to happen... I wonder if drivers that kill other drivers or pedestrians will be incarcerated in federal prisons if found guilty of doing so while using a cell phone if this does become a federal law.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join