It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed takeover of the roadways? US ban on cellphone use while driving sought.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

They already do that via cell phone ping and cross reference it to their phone bills.

They can access a persons location and knows who that person is at any time.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
much has been said already, but i'm wondering if that should apply to law enforcement also, hey for that matter isn't driving while talking on the radio dangerous as well?

these turds never cease to amaze me in how much of our lives they want to control.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Here you go:

In 1930, laws were proposed in Massachusetts and St. Louis to ban radios while driving. According to automotive historian Michael Lamm, “Opponents of car radios argued that they distracted drivers and caused accidents, that tuning them took a driver’s attention away from the road, and that music could lull a driver to sleep.”

Even the Auto Club of New York agreed. In their 1934 poll, 56 percent deemed the car radio a “dangerous distraction.” Arguing the other side was the Radio Manufacturers Association, who pointed out that car radios could be used to warn drivers of inclement weather and bad road conditions, as well as keeping them awake when they got drowsy.
www.mentalfloss.com...

All this nonsense about phones in cars is just as ridiculous.

Then there's CB's and HAM's. Is PTT the same as CB or is it a phone call now?

Books have been around longer than radios or phones yet I havent seen anyone crying about a "reading while driving" law. Is it just because not enough people read? Is it because people understand that distracted/reckless driving laws already exist? Obviously people dont understand that or they would push for phone specific laws. Is it because nobody reads while driving? Plenty do. I see them every morning with their papers across their steering wheels going 85 on the interstate.

All this hoopla while accidents and fatalities are at an all time low.
edit on 27-4-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Indigo5

Before cell phones, it was fiddling with car stereos that killed teenaged drivers.

Before that it was car radios.

Yes...because pressing the "scan" button on the steering wheel is the same as typing "about to crsh LOL!!!" on your dumb phone.

Not sure where common sense has gone.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
So much I'd like to say but the light just turned green

It's all about money
edit on 27-4-2012 by mikellmikell because: Red Light

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Guy texting almost walks into bear

Man crashes bus while texting

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This amazes me how many just say OK, great ... sure take another thing away from us. I've been driving for 20+ years 15 of those talking on cell phones, never caused or been in an accident due to talking on the phone.
I blame parents these days, to damn lenient... use those car cams... catch them using it while driving, TAKE THE CAR AWAY FROM THEM FOR A MONTH!!. They do it again, Take away both the car and the phone for 6 months. Make them earn your respect again.
Might as well ban hammers too while we are at it, cause you can hit yourself in the d1ck.
Promote hands free devices, hell, make them manditory. Heavily fine those caught texting while driving yes, that is incredible dumb and very dangerous. Put a heavy fine on it... people will stop doing it... period.
Banning Phones because of a few really dumb people that can't prioritize driving while talking, Stupid in my eyes.
Then Like someone else said, what's next? No radio listening? No food or beverages?
Come on people... let's not give up what little we have left.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
State or federal level, who cares which level begins the process and enforces it?? Many brain-dead states in the Union refuse to get off their REARS to do anything in the interest of the public, therefore why the Fed needs to take care of business.

The fact is that it is URGENT that SOMETHING be done to stop these IDIOTS around us in multi-ton vehicles (weapons) blabbing and texting on cellphones while driving. They seem to pay no attention at all to other motorists and pedestrians around them.

These degenerates using cell phones while driving on our public roadways are driving SO RIDICULOUSLY RECKLESS that it is no better then if they had a bottle of WHISKEY in their hands that they were chugging down. Absolutely ridiculous.

Banning the use of cell phones while driving must become law regardless of whom achieves it. This garbage has GOT to stop before we have any more DEATHS on our roadways from these IRRESPONSIBLE drivers.

It has got to stop and it will. Soon enough...

edit on 27-4-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well

Hoorahhhh

For Big Government Fascists!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Indigo5

Before cell phones, it was fiddling with car stereos that killed teenaged drivers.

Before that it was car radios.

Yes...because pressing the "scan" button on the steering wheel is the same as typing "about to crsh LOL!!!" on your dumb phone.

Not sure where common sense has gone.

The key word is before.

Before cell phones, a lot of cars didn't have a scan button on the steering wheel. hell, my car doesn't have a scan button on the steering wheel. Before cell phones, a lot of cars had a thing called a knob on the radio that you had to turn to tune in a station. If you wanted a specific station, you had to look at the dial to see where you were tuning.

My point would be that there are more than cell phones to distract drivers, like things happening on the side of the road.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
the problem with the cell phone and more importantly the smart phone is that people totally and completely addicted to the interaction with them. They are as addicted to them as one can be addicted to cigarettes or alcohol. People loose total sight of where they are when they use them - every where is their living room: car, concert, court or an intersection is their personal private space. What is remarkable is the are unaware of the issue, any conversation with 10 or more people will illicit the "I hate cellphone drivers..." but in reality nearly all will be guilty of the infraction. The disconnect is remarkable. Why do I see this so clearly? I don't have cell phone, nor a need.

The Feds don't have any right to regulate the use, though they will use the interstate commerce clause to access the problem via the transmission. Essentially saying the transmissions cannot occur during driving. Is it an over reach, hell yes, but.....

My suggestion to solve the problem is simple. Any accident where one is proven to have been using a cellphone - easily checked, is not covered by any insurance. The problem will stop on the spot.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Amazing there would be a federal cell phone law but no federal seatbelt law.

Not that there should be either but it really illustrates the fickle stupidity of public opinion and how much clout that stupidity has over government action.

What's amazing about that? Driving without a seatbelt isn't going to cause you to crash, but it may danger your health if you do

where as using a phone while driving will and does cause crashes

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrightthere

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Amazing there would be a federal cell phone law but no federal seatbelt law.

Not that there should be either but it really illustrates the fickle stupidity of public opinion and how much clout that stupidity has over government action.

Not wearing a seatbelt only puts your life at risk, and there should be no laws to enforce having to wear them, however, talking on a phone whilst driving puts others at risk, and I'd be happy with suspending driving privileges for those who do that sort of thing.

reply to post by JailTales

I should've read through the pages, you and I seem to have nearly the same sentiment.

reply to post by neo96

Originally posted by neo96

Feds never trust us peasants and something relevant to the topic is vehicle tracking box that autos are now required to have.

Now they track you and what you are doing in the car a simple radio scan can easily detect cell phone usage

because really how could the feds enforce that "law".

Until the world is devoid of "peasants" that need warnings to keep them from eating ant poison, or doors to keep people from falling down elevator shafts, yes the world does need these laws. Personally, I'm all for getting rid of half of this $h!t and letting Darwinism do its job, but in the case of cellphones, when one's stupidity puts others at risk.... yeah... we need an enforceable law for that.

edit on 27-4-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Sure, this law will fix everything because nobody ever got into an accident before cell phones came along...

Its not like people won't find ways to do something equally stupid in order to get around these laws.

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
State or federal level, who cares which level begins the process and enforces it?? Many brain-dead states in the Union refuse to get off their REARS to do anything in the interest of the public, therefore why the Fed needs to take care of business.

Because we can always trust in big government to find the most intelligent solution to all of our problems.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Darwinism is the perfect word natural selection where the stupid weeded out.

The arrogance of messing with millions of years of evolution enter Government thinking they are the masters.

People you can not legislate stupid out of existence you will NEVER be able to.

Sure you can try but just up ending as big government fascist totalitarianism.

Yep there is no problem Government can't solve for the "good" of the people.
edit on 27-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

You're absolutely correct. However, you can (and should) legislate that people be held accountable for their stupidity.

A world without laws = a world without accountability. As I said above: We should do away with the laws that affect a single person, and let Darwinism sort it out. However, if an action can affect others, then there should be legislation to detour the desire to be reckless.

I'm not saying the Fed should take over the road ways. I'm just countering your logic that all laws lead to fascism.

edit on 27-4-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Darwinism is the perfect word natural selection where the stupid weeded out.

The arrogance of messing with millions of years of evolution enter Government thinking they are the masters.

Sure you can try but just up ending as big government fascist totalitarianism.

Yep there is no problem Government can't solve for the "good" of the people.
edit on 27-4-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

This isn't to protect ignorant drivers, its to protect the people they're crashing into!

I cannot believe people think using phones in cars is appropriate. Shows how out of touch America is. So caught up on freedoms that you'll happily see drunk driving, no seat-belt wearing, phone texting buffoons running down 5 year old children

edit on 27-4-2012 by JailTales because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
thank god ! I drive 80 - 120 miles a day and it's getting BAD out there

I saw a guy texting last week

on a motorcycle doing 40 mph !!!!!

people need to focus on driving, it's not much to ask

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I always thought it was really interesting how a cop can give someone a ticket for having a graduation tassel hanging from their rearview mirror, because it obscures their vision.
I guess the cops have superman x-ray vision, since the 12 gauge shotgun vertically mounted on the dashboard of many cruisers apparently doesn't hamper their vision.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join