It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Biblical god's longsuffering and patience

page: 2
3
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Basically He doesn't kill us on the spot when we first sin against Him.
Actually, if he exists outside of time, he does kill us on the spot when we are sent to hell, because it is all happening at the same time to him. You are thinking in finite terms, but you have to think in eternal, outside of time terms when you think of your god. Don't you?




posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
God is longsuffering and patient because he allows sin to run rampant in our society nowadays, look at how out of control people are.
If you claim that your god is eternal, and exists outside of time, then time has no meaning to him. Everything is happening at once to him. If this is the case, how can he have longsuffering and patience with us? It doesn't make any sense. Do you see what I'm saying?

The bible says that 1 day is like 1000 years to god and vice versa. The author of that verse is saying that time is irrelevant to him. It isn't literally 1 day equals 1000 years. The author could have said that 1 second is like 1,000,000 years to him and vice versa and meant the same exact thing.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman
 


Because to us he is longsuffering, as we view him from inside of the time space continuum.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
Because to us he is longsuffering, as we view him from inside of the time space continuum.
When you think of an eternal god, who exists outside of time, he can't have longsuffering and patience. It's a contradiction. You can't think of him in human terms, remember? Longsuffering and patience is an illusion.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman
 


Of course he can from our perspective!

How can you say he's not longsuffering and understanding? Aren't us vile, wicked, monstrous creatures still freely roaming this earth?



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
Of course he can from our perspective!

How can you say he's not longsuffering and understanding? Aren't us vile, wicked, monstrous creatures still freely roaming this earth?
I didn't say "understanding". I said "longsuffering and patience". Those are concepts that deal with time. If a being exists outside of time and is eternal, how can he have those ideas toward us? Everything is happening all at once to him. So, if I act in a sinful way for .000001 second or 1,000,000 years, it is the same to him.

Again, it is an illusion.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman
 


You're an illusion,

obviosly the matrix is malfunctioning



*puts on tinfoil hat*



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38
 



Jesus nullified the law by coming 'in the form' of sinful flesh to condemn 'sin in the flesh.'


Technically if you go to Exodus the people nullified/broke the covenant in chapter 24 when they erected a golden calf.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Basically He doesn't kill us on the spot when we first sin against Him.


That shouldn't be a worry anymore.

Romans 5:8-9
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.


I'm not worried, I was responding to the op.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Basically He doesn't kill us on the spot when we first sin against Him.
Actually, if he exists outside of time, he does kill us on the spot when we are sent to hell, because it is all happening at the same time to him. You are thinking in finite terms, but you have to think in eternal, outside of time terms when you think of your god. Don't you?


Not exactly, we are still operating in the time domain. God has "Omega Vision", He can see the end the present and the past simultaneously. An example of this would be if you and I were sitting on the sidewalk watching a parade by (present), we'd see the floats and marching bands as they passed us, God would be hovering high above in a helicopter and He could see the beginning of the parade (past), and the end when the floats and marching bands stopped their procession (future).

Very clumsy example, but it's as close as I can get to GRT and eternity from God's perspective.


edit on 20-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by Iason321
God is longsuffering and patient because he allows sin to run rampant in our society nowadays, look at how out of control people are.
If you claim that your god is eternal, and exists outside of time, then time has no meaning to him. Everything is happening at once to him. If this is the case, how can he have longsuffering and patience with us? It doesn't make any sense. Do you see what I'm saying?

The bible says that 1 day is like 1000 years to god and vice versa. The author of that verse is saying that time is irrelevant to him. It isn't literally 1 day equals 1000 years. The author could have said that 1 second is like 1,000,000 years to him and vice versa and meant the same exact thing.


Correct, the writer is using a metaphor, meaning time is irrelevant to One who resides outside it's physical constraints.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
reply to post by Hydroman
 


Because to us he is longsuffering, as we view him from inside of the time space continuum.


Yes, position determines perspective.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by Iason321
Because to us he is longsuffering, as we view him from inside of the time space continuum.
When you think of an eternal god, who exists outside of time, he can't have longsuffering and patience. It's a contradiction. You can't think of him in human terms, remember? Longsuffering and patience is an illusion.


No, what he said is true too, we are bound by the physical domain of spacetime. Position determines perspective.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman
 


somebody said the other day,how could god create the world in seven days? theres the answer,and,evolution is not of god,well again,theres the answer...,things probably did evolve,
this does not put god out of the picture,it took thousands of years really for humans too come about,so evolution could still be in gods plan.
as for gods long suffering and patience,well i believe the universe gets reset constantly,and every time,god hopes we use our free will too change the mistakes we made before,ive heard people talk of remembering living the same life before,its even a science now,so maybe they still retain some basic memory every time the universe is reset...
but theres no point trying too understand god...just believe like little children,so he says,



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OMNISLASHER
 

this would also account for time,being all over the place,no one person is in the same time as another,and the further away a star is the further back in time it is,the reason a vblur is created is because you see an after imager of the past,if you fly fast enough time will stop,and if you broke the light barrier you would go back in time,theres just loads of analogy's and little things about time i could say,but time can be reversed,i believe that,time travel is possible,in theory,as spoken about by scientists of our time,we just dont have the technology,but for god...piece of cake...so his patience is unending,every time the universe is reset...my opinion.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
No, what he said is true too, we are bound by the physical domain of spacetime. Position determines perspective.
Our perspective is an illusion. That's what I'm getting at. From god's perspective, it is all happening at once. His perspective is the one that counts. Our perspective is only an illusion.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
An example of this would be if you and I were sitting on the sidewalk watching a parade by (present), we'd see the floats and marching bands as they passed us, God would be hovering high above in a helicopter and He could see the beginning of the parade (past), and the end when the floats and marching bands stopped their procession (future).

Very clumsy example, but it's as close as I can get to GRT and eternity from God's perspective.

God, seeing the whole parade, does not need longsuffering or patience to watch the parade. He's sees the whole thing at once. Those of us watching the parade from the ground DO need patience and longsuffering if we want to see how the parade ends because we exist within the flow of time.

The parade is like the life of an individual. God sees the whole thing at once, the birth, aging, and death all at once. Longsuffering and patience mean nothing to him, and does not apply.



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman
 


Yes, it's technically an illusion, however from an observer inside the spacetime domain everything appears to our vantage point as linear time. We can't look into the future, we can only look back. God has the capacity to enter our time domain at will. This is really going to get into theoretical physics, but it's called an "event horizon".

Position always determines perspective. When position changes perspective alters in direct proportion.
edit on 20-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Yes, it's technically an illusion, however from an observer inside the spacetime domain everything appears to our vantage point as linear time. We can't look into the future, we can only look back. God has the capacity to enter our time domain at will. This is really going to get into theoretical physics, but it's called an "event horizon".

Position always determines perspective. When position changes perspective alters in direct proportion.
I agree, we humans can have patience and longsuffering because we exist in linear time. God, an eternal being existing out of time, can not. Even if he enters our time domain, he is still eternal and time does not exist to him. He won't lose his eternalness by entering into our linear time existence.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman
 


Yes but he would only appear in our lowly reality to kick ass and knock heads together or make us go to stand in a corner till we learn to behave like big boys and girls




top topics



 
3
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join